Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/JimSterling/status/1604199806511063041

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Twincityhacker posted:

I just get so loving angry about the historical revisionism of JK Rowling and of Harry Potter. By saying "JK Rowling was a hateful bigot all along" denies the truth that she decided to go down the radicalizarion rabbit hole relitvely recently and she continuely choses to double down on her hatred instead of reconsidering her beliefs.

Historical revisonism of JK Rowling always being rotten to the core also downplays the danger of TERF and other bigoted rhetoric to only be sucesful on already bad people versus the reality that no one is immune to propaganda and one needs to be on their guard against being recruited into hate groups.

...yeah, I'll stop ranting about Rowling now.
While I don't think she was necessarily always this hateful, it is a case where she was always this ignorant. It's just like Linehan where when their ignorant bigotry was pointed out they instead doubled down at every turn. Everything now is born out of just refusing to accept fault at any point.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I strongly disagree with the idea that you cannot like art because the creator of it is a horrible person in a mostly unrelated way, but Harry Potter is just not good enough on its own to still care much about it all these years later.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I think it's fine to like stuff a shitbag has made as long as they're not making money from it when you partake

so all aboard, mateys

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Captain Invictus posted:

I think it's fine to like stuff a shitbag has made as long as they're not making money from it when you partake

so all aboard, mateys

Of course currently with the video game coming out, the new stance is "I don't like Just Kidding but Rowling's already got her money and it's not fair to the developers" ignoring they've also already been paid and if the game flops then she doesn't get any more money from that sort of thing in the future.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

fun hater posted:

omg i just watched this like 2 weeks ago with my mother for the first time and it was genuinely one of the best experiences of my adult life lol. its like a 3 hour extremely slow burn about the hosed up and insane relationship between henry II (o'toole) and eleanor of aquitaine (katherine hepburn) during one of the christmases where he permits her to leave her prison (its a cushy prison) to see her sons: john (nigel terry, and he's the shithead king john from robin hood legends and maga carta lol), geoffrey (john castle) and richard the first (a BABY anthony hopkins, and richard the lionheart). she kept pausing it to stop and give me the historical background of what was happening at the time for a few minutes before going back to it, which i genuinely loved and gave me the context i needed to fully comprehend what i was seeing on a historical scale. this was apparently timothy dalton's debut film and knowing this, he plays phillip the second pitch perfectly as a young man assuming a role he has to convince everyone he's suited for while surrounded by titans lol. ummmm really really good. i was engrossed the whole time but my fiance wanted to die so ymmv. i recommend seeing the movie with your mom so she can tell you facts about it

the line "i want no women in my life. i could have conquered europe - all of it - but i had women in my life" is one of those random film lines that lodged itself in my brain and won't ever leave

also John Castle is amazing in that film

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Saagonsa posted:

I strongly disagree with the idea that you cannot like art because the creator of it is a horrible person in a mostly unrelated way, but Harry Potter is just not good enough on its own to still care much about it all these years later.

this

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I feel sorry for Avalanche Software folks. They started working on their Wizard GTA game back in like 2017, when I think the worst Rowling had done was make Dumbledore retroactively gay. Must suck to have six years of your life tainted because a cranky British liberal would rather go full bigot than learn a single loving lesson.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Rowling definitely has some Not Like Other Girls baggage. However, unlike most of her AFAB fans who are healing and learning, Rowling decided to double down.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Terrible Opinions posted:

While I don't think she was necessarily always this hateful, it is a case where she was always this ignorant. It's just like Linehan where when their ignorant bigotry was pointed out they instead doubled down at every turn. Everything now is born out of just refusing to accept fault at any point.

In a non-Online world, she'd probably have spent a lot of time with trans and queer people as she rose in class and influence. She'd spend more time with other novelists and artists of all stripes, and come to much better understand them and what they feel. There wouldn't be any reason for her to feel defensive over her previous beliefs as they would've been challenged by people she knew and trusted rather than it feeling like random people are yelling at her.

In an Online world its easier to fall in with gammons who are willing to defend you as long as you voice their bigotry because it just feels good to be validated. Social pressure only works when it's people you care about. When it's between two groups of people writing mean messages on twitter, it's much easier to fall in with a bunch of shitbags cause they'll accept your awful beliefs cause you don't have to be confronted with what you're losing or what you're actually supporting. There's always a group of people who are able to be acceptable enough to you that you aren't forced to reconsider, and the people confronting you don't mean anything cause you don't know them.

Twitter needs to end is what I'm saying

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

I feel sorry for Avalanche Software folks. They started working on their Wizard GTA game back in like 2017, when I think the worst Rowling had done was make Dumbledore retroactively gay. Must suck to have six years of your life tainted because a cranky British liberal would rather go full bigot than learn a single loving lesson.
Eh, doesn't one of that project's leads have a side hustle with a Quartering-lite channel? A very prolific, but not very successful one, though.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Scorched Spitz posted:

Eh, doesn't one of that project's leads have a side hustle with a Quartering-lite channel? A very prolific, but not very successful one, though.

Wouldn't doubt it, like all bosses, studio and project leads tend to be poo poo, but it's a big developer. I'm talking more about the rank and file who were maybe neutral or positive on the series back in 2017, but are still stuck working on it in 2022 because it's their job.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Grondoth posted:

In a non-Online world, she'd probably have spent a lot of time with trans and queer people as she rose in class and influence. She'd spend more time with other novelists and artists of all stripes, and come to much better understand them and what they feel. There wouldn't be any reason for her to feel defensive over her previous beliefs as they would've been challenged by people she knew and trusted rather than it feeling like random people are yelling at her.

Oh yeah the famously queer and inclusive British upper class lmao

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I mean she wrote pro-slavery stuff and made greedy antisemitic stereotypes run the banks so I don't think it's historical revisionism to say she always sucked

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Danaru posted:

I mean she wrote pro-slavery stuff and made greedy antisemitic stereotypes run the banks so I don't think it's historical revisionism to say she always sucked

Cho Chang, etc.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Grondoth posted:

In an Online world its easier to fall in with gammons who are willing to defend you as long as you voice their bigotry because it just feels good to be validated. Social pressure only works when it's people you care about. When it's between two groups of people writing mean messages on twitter, it's much easier to fall in with a bunch of shitbags cause they'll accept your awful beliefs cause you don't have to be confronted with what you're losing or what you're actually supporting. There's always a group of people who are able to be acceptable enough to you that you aren't forced to reconsider, and the people confronting you don't mean anything cause you don't know them.

Twitter needs to end is what I'm saying

This entire line of reasoning falls apart because she absolutely would not have met any trans people. There would indeed just be far fewer trans people to meet, because transness would have remained a secret club you had to know someone who knew someone to discover was a thing you could be, and every trans person would either follow the Old Ways and quietly disappear into a new life as they transitioned or be locked into a handful of enclaves in major cities raging silently against the machine.

ANyway, Joanne was always a TERF, in that the brand of milquetoast liberal white feminism carefully excluded trans people when she was in grade school and thus they were already excluded she learned feminist theory. She went from TERF via ignorance to TERF by choice, with all the cozying up to fascists that implies, but the seeds were planted long before Twitter was a twinkle in Jack's eye.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Grondoth posted:

In a non-Online world, she'd probably have spent a lot of time with trans and queer people as she rose in class and influence.

No she wouldn't and twitter didn't cause this. Half of the Gender Critical British Freaks are upper-middle class women posting on Mumsnet or Facebook and radicalizing there because they don't actually talk to anyone that isn't 95% exactly like them and as you go higher in society the group grows smaller and more incestuous. The reason behind this is the same as every other single fall into bigotry in most of human history a fear of the alien other caused by segregation and class structure. Please shut up, there's not prelapsarian twitter-less era where she wouldn't become exactly this.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

I don't know about all of you but I am EXTREMELY disappointed by Marshall Applewhite's (the streamer, not the dead cult leader) recent behavior. He was live streaming his reactions to old episodes of The Monkees and said some very disturbing comments about Davy Jones's haircut that I will not repeat here. And of course his half-assed apology the next day accomplished nothing and everything spiralled into a big Twitter argument between him, Georgie Big Boy, and MegaMan Hex, who are both likely shutting down their YouTube channels for awhile so they don't have to deal with this toxic nonsense. The Monkees fandom community cannot withstand another big split like this, especially not so soon after the incident between Rude Batman and Xander Berkeley Jr.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

How do you get the names so pitch perfect when you write these? They’re the perfect mix of totally opaque and sort of, but not actually, clever. Like exactly what a teen in 2009 reconciled themselves to after realizing their first through fourth attempts were already registered.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
A really generous interpretation would be "maybe if Rowling had networked and interacted with other authors face-to-face she would've met more queer people or she would've gotten more critical feedback in-person that she was receptive to and grew as a person" but I don't think there was a magical window in time where either option was possible.

The early 90s when the HP books were first published were not a diverse time for authors. It's still not, but the internet actually makes it possible for queer, BIPOC, disabled, etc. to network remotely, promote each other, find an audience, and help sell books that would otherwise be buried. Nothing's stopping Rowling from making connections with people she considers her peers and learning about their personal experiences. And anyway there's now 2 generations of authors who (used to) consider her their hero and inspiration and would've been happy to help her better understand any minority perspective she wanted feedback on.

And as far as constructive feedback goes... well, I wouldn't say at any point that discussion of YA genre books ever resembled the 19th century Parisian salons. Genre fiction as a whole has struggled with that, really. Pre-internet there were a few niche periodicals, but I don't think Rowling has ever demonstrated an interest in constructive-but-critical feedback of her work to improve her writing craft. Feedback online is infinite, and also largely miserable and unreadable, but the HP books opened more avenues to professional and academic review of genre fiction. So again, an open door has existed for her for years that she could go through at any point if she cared about it.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Dec 18, 2022

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

I AM GRANDO posted:

How do you get the names so pitch perfect when you write these? They’re the perfect mix of totally opaque and sort of, but not actually, clever. Like exactly what a teen in 2009 reconciled themselves to after realizing their first through fourth attempts were already registered.

Lol thanks I would love to give any other reason for it but I think it's just from being too online for too long.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Flying Zamboni posted:

Lol thanks I would love to give any other reason for it but I think it's just from being too online for too long.

Admittedly if you told me there was a content creator called 'Rude Batman' I probably nod without thinking anything of it.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Twincityhacker posted:

I just get so loving angry about the historical revisionism of JK Rowling and of Harry Potter. By saying "JK Rowling was a hateful bigot all along" denies the truth that she decided to go down the radicalizarion rabbit hole relitvely recently and she continuely choses to double down on her hatred instead of reconsidering her beliefs.

Historical revisonism of JK Rowling always being rotten to the core also downplays the danger of TERF and other bigoted rhetoric to only be sucesful on already bad people versus the reality that no one is immune to propaganda and one needs to be on their guard against being recruited into hate groups.

...yeah, I'll stop ranting about Rowling now.

you're allowed to like the books. but they always contained pro-slavery tones, open attacks on "ugly" or "fat" people for being so, rape, etc. you're still allowed to like them! just don't be weird about pretending those flaws didn't exist either.

also don't financially support her now either lol she sucks

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I forget who came up with JimTheLastHuman, but that’s always stuck in my head as especially plausible to the degree that I can imagine a logo with a caricature and a rough trajectory that involves streaming and videos about mysterious reddit posts, with no clear indication how the two interests are related.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

A really generous interpretation would be "maybe if Rowling had networked and interacted with other authors face-to-face she would've met more queer people or she would've gotten more critical feedback in-person that she was receptive to and grew as a person" but I don't think there was a magical window in time where either option was possible.

Yes

Also Rowling was most famous for "actually, Dumbledore is gay and I never said Hermione wasn't black, also wizards just poo poo on the floor until recently" type stuff before she ended up... where she is. It is extremely easy for me to see a route where she stays away from all this and keeps being a weird lady who wrote honestly kind of weird books about a wizard school. The people she's allying with form coalitions with the people who tried to ban her books for witchcraft. It'd be odd for a children's fantasy author to get caught up in a reactionary backlash, she'd be distant from where it formed.

Grondoth fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 18, 2022

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
harry potter gta is going to go with actually the evil goblin jews deserved to be enslaved by their wizard overlords lol

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Grondoth posted:

Yes

Also Rowling was most famous for "actually, Dumbledore is gay and I never said Hermione wasn't black, also wizards just poo poo on the floor until recently" type stuff before she ended up... where she is. It is extremely easy for me to see a route where she stays away from all this and keeps being a weird lady who wrote honestly kind of weird books about a wizard school. The people she's allying with form coalitions with the people who tried to ban her books for witchcraft. It'd be odd for a children's fantasy author to get caught up in a reactionary backlash, she'd be distant from where it formed.

I do mean I don't think even if every other variable was the same, if we were in an alternate timeline that didn't have the internet now Rowling would not have been more self-aware or socially conscious, to be clear. She's always has the option to do better, or just retreat to her giant horse stable and never interact with the haters. She's never been able to let go or shut up.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Waifu Radia posted:

you're allowed to like the books. but they always contained pro-slavery tones, open attacks on "ugly" or "fat" people for being so, rape, etc. you're still allowed to like them! just don't be weird about pretending those flaws didn't exist either.

You're right, the flaws were always there. I am also fustrated how very few people gave a gently caress about those flaws until it was trendy to do so. Espeecialy the bits about the goblins, which were present in the first few chapters in the first book, but that's a larger conversation about jew hate that I am not particularly able to coherently talk about.

Bur, yeah, she's gross and I'm not giving her any more money.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

She is just a petty and evil person and she is way too deep to outgrow it

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
dumbledore was gay and in love with hitler thats deep

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Fellas, is it gay to love Hitler?

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Twincityhacker posted:

You're right, the flaws were always there. I am also fustrated how very few people gave a gently caress about those flaws until it was trendy to do so. Espeecialy the bits about the goblins, which were present in the first few chapters in the first book, but that's a larger conversation about jew hate that I am not particularly able to coherently talk about.

Bur, yeah, she's gross and I'm not giving her any more money.

agree on all counts. Good postin’

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

egg tats posted:

I mean, the irony is that according to Jeffery, something awful has always been profitable, despite lowtaxes constant whining.

it would have been an infinitely BETTER purchase than twitter. and it wouldn't have cost enough to singlehandedly solve world hunger

no, I mean Lowtax getting the money for SA was as much of a waste as Elon getting Twitter, in one case Lowtax couldn't do anything with the money from the sale, in the other Elon couldn't do anything with Twitter, but yeah that was maybe not very clear, I just wanted to make a tasteless joke

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Nuns with Guns posted:

Fellas, is it gay to love Hitler?

JK Rowling earnestly asking a question people on FYAD post while on the toilet, and making that the thesis of her entire franchise, is very funny to me.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Nuns with Guns posted:

The early 90s when the HP books were first published were not a diverse time for authors. It's still not, but the internet actually makes it possible for queer, BIPOC, disabled, etc. to network remotely, promote each other, find an audience, and help sell books that would otherwise be buried.

this is a small sticking point in a conversation i agree with entirely but this is a bizarre frequent talking point when childrens literature authors has always been a fairly diverse group. its ahistorical to suggest jkr has done anything but blow the doors open for awful genre fiction writers who cut their teeth writing HP fanfic.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Waifu Radia posted:

And it also strikes me more as her being a Feminism Appropriating Reactionary Transphobe opened the door for people to go back and re-evaluate what she'd written, and seeing things in a whole new light that they either did not notice or had chosen not to really focus on.

And as an inscrutable oriental, the fact that the stupid loving gently caress couldn't even do some basic loving research because us yerrows should jasuto be sankfuru zatto magicaru waito jeezasu woman deigned to allow us into her stupid loving books - yeah, I'm talking about Cho Chang and Mahou Tokoro or whatever the gently caress Japanese Hogwarts was meant to be called - she can go and get hosed.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
all of africa getting just one wizard school lol

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

south america's wizard school has a portuguese name

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Alaois posted:

south america's wizard school has a portuguese name

colonial wizards...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

How do you think the rains get blessed down there???