Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I mean, it's not like being a white nationalist is a crime or anything. Not like being a dirty leftist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Aren't Secret Service agents subject to some of the most stringent background checks there are? Like if you were caught stealing a candy bar when you were 9, or you failed a history test they know about it before they hire you.

Right, the people who hired them definitely knew about it.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Murgos posted:

“Ban the government from policing lawful speech”?

What, like not creating rules to control how private platforms enforce their ToS?

However I expect he actually means, “empower government to police speech I don’t like such as platforms that prevent me from violating their ToS”

Edit: wait. I bet he means his speech on J06 which some have suggested there is enough evidence now to demonstrate criminal intent to incite a riot and sedition.

Remember its all projection.

It's to protect workers who get fired from being outed as racists online or in person while also jailing anyone who exposes the Trump organization for their corruption and fraud.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1603846375250497536?s=46&t=VmU6fn3fV9FICN2hkXMw_w

Monday (and/or Wednesday, when the full report is actually released) might get interesting.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Public hearing on Monday, too; from what I heard. Don't know what time or if public means televised. Monday will be a treat.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
About. loving. Time.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Well it is About loving Time. Now we can get on with waiting for Jack Smith to write the longest list of crimes in American history

Efb

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Aren't Secret Service agents subject to some of the most stringent background checks there are? Like if you were caught stealing a candy bar when you were 9, or you failed a history test they know about it before they hire you.

The Air Force gave me a juicy secret clearance without googling me first. I'm sure they checked my finances and criminal background. But they had no idea about any of the journalism I'd done, books, or the book that I had coming out in a few months that I was actively promoting at the time while off duty. An excerpt from the conversation that I had with my commander's CO

Me: "That's a question for Penguin Random House,"

Him: "Penguin what?"

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Danknificent posted:

The Air Force gave me a juicy secret clearance without googling me first. I'm sure they checked my finances and criminal background. But they had no idea about any of the journalism I'd done, books, or the book that I had coming out in a few months that I was actively promoting at the time while off duty. An excerpt from the conversation that I had with my commander's CO

Me: "That's a question for Penguin Random House,"

Him: "Penguin what?"

:ughh:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Social media accounts are generally off limits for clearance investigations so they won't Google you. They focus on interviews with friends, families, coworkers, landlords, etc. to identify any potential inconsistencies or red flags in the data you give them in the SF-86. The other part is a credit check and whatever else they have to do to check on things like gambling debts. If you have anything else of relevance you're supposed to bring it up ahead of time, not let them find out about it later.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

That does not sound like an ideal way to, for example, hire a loving body man for the President of the United Goddamn States.

vvvv that's fair enough vvvv

mdemone fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 17, 2022

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Well Secret clearances are fairly routine and not remotely related to how Secret Service personnel are vetted.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Tiny Timbs posted:

Social media accounts are generally off limits for clearance investigations so they won't Google you. They focus on interviews with friends, families, coworkers, landlords, etc. to identify any potential inconsistencies or red flags in the data you give them in the SF-86. The other part is a credit check and whatever else they have to do to check on things like gambling debts. If you have anything else of relevance you're supposed to bring it up ahead of time, not let them find out about it later.

I briefly held* a clearance back in the mid-2000s so just when social media was getting started, and the process was pretty much as you describe here. Had to submit a list of references for interview along with other information.

*Well, I think I did. The process took longer than the job itself lasted (I was contracting with a big federal agency) and by the time I left it hadn't finished yet.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

They will definitely show up and question the folks you reference.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Tiny Timbs posted:

Says who? I've helped roommates with clearance paperwork that explicitly asked about social media activity. And everything I've seen on Google says they can absolutely check out your Facebook or whatever

quote:

The guidelines make clear that agencies can target publicly available social media posts, if they deem it necessary, but cannot force individuals to hand over their passwords for private accounts, or provide pseudonyms for any profiles.

Source: https://www.nationalguard.mil

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
iirc a significant set of security clearance work, possibly per agency, is contracted out, and there was a scandal 2 or so years ago that one firm was just...not doing 'em.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Youth Decay posted:

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1603846375250497536?s=46&t=VmU6fn3fV9FICN2hkXMw_w

Monday (and/or Wednesday, when the full report is actually released) might get interesting.

Mmm, insurrection. That's spicier than I was expecting them to go, but presumably they're looking to invoke the 14th amendment's disqualification clause.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

iirc a significant set of security clearance work, possibly per agency, is contracted out, and there was a scandal 2 or so years ago that one firm was just...not doing 'em.

I’ve been visited twice for the clearances of friends (and had half dozen friends visited for mine in the past). It was noticeable when it went from FBI to contractors.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I’ve been visited twice for the clearances of friends (and had half dozen friends visited for mine in the past). It was noticeable when it went from FBI to contractors.

Yep! I've been interviewed multiple times for friends of mine from the military and the difference was jarring.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

SalTheBard posted:

Yep! I've been interviewed multiple times for friends of mine from the military and the difference was jarring.
?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
The contractors are less thorough than the FBI

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

One more thing here, it’s highly dependent on the agency and even the specific compartments requesting the check on what questions are asked and how thorough the investigation is.

A program with specific needs can (and frequently do) reject other agencies, and even their own agencies clearances at the same level done with a different processes.

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

jarlywarly posted:

Homelander.jpg

https://twitter.com/voughtintl/status/1603499559937642496?s=46&t=61qUBD7T_QCQ5MhVg-OmVw

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The parody is higher-effort than the real deal

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

They love to pretend they are real Fed’s too and they get a little dejected if you ask to see the credentials they flash at you and comment on it.

When you fill out the forms you list family, friends, etc. those people get interviewed. The big question is along the lines of has so and so ever been part of a conspiracy or an attempt to over throw the government of the United States.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Somewhere Trump is screaming at a graphic designer to give him more abs

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/12/17/sarasota-florida-far-right/

So the town I grew up in is becoming a right wing compound kindof place. This is just a few miles from the trailer park I grew up in. This is across from the Carlton reserve . You can’t get to it driving down to the end of River Road at I75 but that’s real close to where it is.

Tacky rear end Royal palms golf course looking poo poo. This is palmetto bush and live / scrub oak land, near swamp really. Eventually it’ll all flood atleast. Growing up Dan Miller was my rep. Tangentially I knew people involved in GOP politics 20-30 years because they were involved in the community. It’s really kindof stunning to see what this is now, knowing all the details of what it was before.

Apparently this Mellon guy “knocked on the doors” of the capital on Jan 6 but didn’t go in.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 18, 2022

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

mdemone posted:

Yeah I know there's a state case but I had assumed (obv without reason) that GA was only a state crime.

Federal obstruction of Justice? But it's not federal law they were obstructing.

Is it part of the seditious conspiracy umbrella...hopefully?

As I understand, the fake electors in GA is a federal crime, the pressuring Raffensburger to find votes is a state crime.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

V-Men posted:

As I understand, the fake electors in GA is a federal crime, the pressuring Raffensburger to find votes is a state crime.

Ooohhhh that's right the alternate slate idiots. I totally loving forgot about them, in the onslaught of crimes

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

mdemone posted:

Ooohhhh that's right the alternate slate idiots. I totally loving forgot about them, in the onslaught of crimes

This is making me realize that somewhere in the DoJ, there is probably a spreadsheet of trumpcrimes.xlsm.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Xiahou Dun posted:

This is making me realize that somewhere in the DoJ, there is probably a spreadsheet of trumpcrimes.xlsm.

I kinda always pictured it as a supply closet door labeled "TRUMP CRIMES," that's so comically overfull that it's bulging against its frame and sheets of paper describing various crimes are already leaking out around the edges.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Xiahou Dun posted:

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Well duh, that's it's an .xlsm.

You need macro support for log scaling.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Says who? I've helped roommates with clearance paperwork that explicitly asked about social media activity. And everything I've seen on Google says they can absolutely check out your Facebook or whatever

Source: https://www.nationalguard.mil

And though they can't compel you to hand over access or anything, they can (and will, depending on how much a contractor may care) ask you about it and your answers matter. If you're not forthright and honest about what's in your social media, public or private, that's not going to help your application.

They may not ask about everything, but the stuff they do ask about you have to be honest about. At least that's how it's supposed to work.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
We have the final live hearing to watch at 1pm EST. I'm here for it.

I think the most important thing the J6 Cmte. did was address the Big Lie head on from day one. I know it hasn't moved the needle much among voting Repubs but Dobbs sure did.

I don't think we will get the actual criminal referrals today, I think they will be in the report due out Wednesday; but who knows? We're about to find out.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Less than 16 minutes to go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5olnF549kNE

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Oooooh learning about witness tampering now.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Chonky boy in back

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Did we know that Trumps allies tried to make fake ballots?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Madkal posted:

Did we know that Trumps allies tried to make fake ballots?

I know they tried to get fake electors in Georgia, not sure about the other states, but I think it actually being on paper and sent to government officials is new info.