Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

mcmagic posted:

That isn’t dirty. Just bad luck. Barkov lifted his stick with his own stick and caused him to fall forward into his knee. He didn’t crosscheck the knee.

I watched the video like 30 times wanting to satisfy myself that this is what happened, but it sure as poo poo looks like an intentional crosscheck. Interested to hear if any non-Devils fans are satisfied it was an accident though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

I watched the video like 30 times wanting to satisfy myself that this is what happened, but it sure as poo poo looks like an intentional crosscheck. Interested to hear if any non-Devils fans are satisfied it was an accident though.

Dunno. He's definitely falling forwards. I'm leaning towards accidental.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
it's not even remotely dirty he's just pushing forward low like centers do all the time and unfortunately he catches Barkov awkwardly

the 1000 crosschecks after the whistle and late hits that the Panthers gave to Hischier for the rest of the game were dirty though

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I think the Canucks are just one more retool on the fly away from being contenders!

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
I'm not sure what to make of that honestly. Hischier has never seemed like an intent to injure guy. If he is, that actually makes me think the Devils have a chance this year, because Cup winners seem to need to be dirty psychos to win it all.

I was going to say Colorado is the only winner in recent memory that weren't dirty psychos, but Makar has had some chippy stuff this year.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Guys, Hischier is not that type of player. After the game he was asked about it and he noted that he goes hard on faceoffs and it just kind of happened but there was zero intent. He also models his game after Barkov and looks up to him.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Chad Sexington posted:

I'm not sure what to make of that honestly. Hischier has never seemed like an intent to injure guy. If he is, that actually makes me think the Devils have a chance this year, because Cup winners seem to need to be dirty psychos to win it all.

I was going to say Colorado is the only winner in recent memory that weren't dirty psychos, but Makar has had some chippy stuff this year.

The Pens (somehow) won their second Cup without Letang

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Dunno. He's definitely falling forwards. I'm leaning towards accidental.

It’s the sort of motion that happens a dozen times a night in face offs. This just looks like bad luck. Most of the time they’d just be tying up hands.

Wippersnapper
Nov 1, 2003

Stealing your favourite hockey teams
...in spirit.

ThinkTank posted:

I think the Canucks are just one more retool on the fly away from being contenders!

Let’s hope so because according to Friedman they have no interest in a rebuild. I always thought the idea that ownership was the problem was a bit overblown but hard not to chalk it up to them at this point.

But hey if they go 33-19 we should end up with 95 points and… just miss the playoffs.

Wippersnapper fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Dec 18, 2022

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

CBJSprague24 posted:

I went to Buffalo's roster page to see their team stats for the year and wondered if goaltending was an issue and there's Craig Fuckin' Anderson rising like a 41-year old phoenix like he did a couple years ago in DC with a 6-4-1 record, .922, and 2.66GAA at 41 years old.

(Their other goalies are 3.5+ GAA, I think, I didn't pay that much attention, I was just happy to see Craig Anderson still kicking around and doing well-ish.)

The issue with Anderson is that he can only play one game a week because he’s 41. The other two goalies are uhhh not great. If Lukkonen can turn it around they will have a chance at the playoffs.

Also, this crazy sequence happened last night (starts about 15 seconds in):

https://twitter.com/sabresplays/status/1604329737756745733?s=46&t=nXHTPLKx9khA7hFsFbykxg

Yotes seemed to be wondering why the ref didn’t blow the whistle. It’s because a non-goalie Yotes player laid down on top of the puck, the goalie never had it.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Chad Sexington posted:

it looks to me like a sneaky dirty play which I agree is concerning…Devils might have taken a bigger step than I thought.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
https://twitter.com/rwesthead/status/1604508973020823552?s=20&t=bAwNohbjza-C69xhklKfhw

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

it's going to be really gross and destroy any goodwill the Devils have built up this season if it turns out McLeod was one of the five and they knew he was being investigated, awful poo poo

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

T-Bone posted:

it's going to be really gross and destroy any goodwill the Devils have built up this season if it turns out McLeod was one of the five and they knew he was being investigated, awful poo poo

The first reply to this tweet:

https://twitter.com/thebrattpack63/status/1604514891355799555?s=46&t=-LVnaOXOUL_afd4lVEzXYA

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
I can't believe the bookies let me make money betting against Chicago. Who is on the other side of these bets?

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

:discourse: 7 in a row for NYR :discourse:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

WeaponX posted:

:discourse: 7 in a row for NYR :discourse:

Looks like the kids are starting to come to life
and Trocheck is fitting in well

On paper they're really loving stacked in a way that I wish they weren't as a Pens fan
but they are playing fun hockey right now

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I think the Metro is sending 5 teams to the playoffs this year. Mainly because I trust Paul Maurice to screw it up in Florida.

The question is which 2 of NYR, NYI, and WSH make it.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
There's a pretty good chance that things will turn out fine for them, but it'd be funny if Calgary and Florida both missed the playoffs after making that trade.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Buffalo is more likely to get in than Florida now just based on goal differential.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

goddamn

https://twitter.com/KralikJuraj/status/1604565714714497024

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
This is by far the best goal I've seen live.

https://twitter.com/BR_OpenIce/status/1604661857377058816

Kraken fans made noise every time they were asked to by the PA but got deathly silent when play started. It was pretty funny.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Pungry posted:

This is by far the best goal I've seen live.

https://twitter.com/BR_OpenIce/status/1604661857377058816

Kraken fans made noise every time they were asked to by the PA but got deathly silent when play started. It was pretty funny.

Every game I go to I have to listen to people try to explain hockey to each other. Once in a while you get someone that knows what they're talking about, but a lot of people just seem to be there for the expensive beer and selfies. It's part of it these days, but it doesn't make it a lot of fun to watch them. There was a goal waved off immediately a few weeks ago and people were cheering for for like 20 seconds. There'd probably be three dozen people booing Bettman if he were there. They just don't know any better.

Absolutely beautiful goal from Eberle would have been nice to see in person.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
any teams in the West have a Sammy Blais type? Chytil is looking fantastic and the cap isn't going up. i would be writing your local GM to find some middling young bottom-sixer who is riding a good shooting percentage so we can trade for him + a 2nd rounder, have him blow out his knee and return uh, much slower. ideally he's horny for his sister, too.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Mind_Taker posted:

I think the Metro is sending 5 teams to the playoffs this year. Mainly because I trust Paul Maurice to screw it up in Florida.

The question is which 2 of NYR, NYI, and WSH make it.

Rangers are absolutely making it, it's really between the Caps and Isles and maybe Florida for the last spot.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Call Your Grandma posted:

Buffalo is more likely to get in than Florida now just based on goal differential.

Every win is by 3+ goals
Every loss is by 3> goals
Top scoring team in the league but the worst goaltending
Missing the playoffs for the 12th straight year
The 2022-23 Buffalo Sabres

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

any teams in the West have a Sammy Blais type? Chytil is looking fantastic and the cap isn't going up. i would be writing your local GM to find some middling young bottom-sixer who is riding a good shooting percentage so we can trade for him + a 2nd rounder, have him blow out his knee and return uh, much slower. ideally he's horny for his sister, too.

Dakota Joshua is enjoying a pretty good season and has the name of an old west outlaw.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

Chytil keeps getting injured like this he’s not gonna get much money

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Skinner signed at 3x2.6 million which is pretty great.

It'd be nice to have a backup making less than 5 million for him!!!

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Seems like a very good deal for Skinner compared to some of the other deals handed out recently, three years is massive

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Takes him to UFA which is fine. Goaler deals longer than like 3-4 years seem almost universally terrible.

I just wish Mike Smith had played one more season instead of the Oilers overpaying for a "starter" when they had Skinner looking ready to go for the last 18 months.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I’m assuming whatever injury Campbell was dealing with in January messed him up permanently, it’s the only thing that really makes sense with the way his trajectory went and how the Leafs wanted nothing to do with him in the off-season

https://twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1604876948597006336?s=20&t=o3FzoG5Z9YG7oT8G-fNctA

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

His positioning is dogshit and he gives up a ton of bad rebounds. It looks like a confidence thing but maybe he got concussed to goalie death.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/charlieo_conn/status/1604882415079809024

oh god :stare:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Leafs and Oilers should both look into, like, getting a goalie coach or something.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

You can't convince me that first list isn't just random Pennsylvanian towns

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/charlieo_conn/status/1604885253591420928

welp

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/MapleLeafs/status/1604884366684987397?s=20&t=xIpizjNoebZBtZOwl784tQ
Uh, ok? I was never a fan of Malgin but Dryden Hunt appears to legitimately suck. The Leafs made a big deal of keeping Malgin on the team after camp and he’s been playing with Tavares so this seems weird in a couple ways.

Eric the Mauve posted:

The Leafs and Oilers should both look into, like, getting a goalie coach or something.

Samsonov was very complimentary of Sanford and Keefe in an interview the other day. Then he got blown up by his former team (I maintain the first two goals were just bad bounces but I didn’t see the second half of the game).

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Koopa Kid posted:

I’m assuming whatever injury Campbell was dealing with in January messed him up permanently, it’s the only thing that really makes sense with the way his trajectory went and how the Leafs wanted nothing to do with him in the off-season

https://twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1604876948597006336?s=20&t=o3FzoG5Z9YG7oT8G-fNctA

Campbell had Covid in December of 2021 and it might be worth considering that had a significant impact on him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

drat
Couturier, Ellis, and Atkinson are almost $20 million of dead capspace