Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Will it piss off the creator if I sell an artifact claimed as a family heirloom?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

StarkRavingMad posted:

The Dwarven ring mist generator:

Four screw pumps in a circle (powered from above)

They dump water on these four statues below. The statues keep the dwarves from standing under it so they don't get water dumped directly on them. The next screw pump in line grabs the water before it can spill off and accumulate on the floor and moves it to the next statue. This creates a constant spray of mist in the room. I designed this as a general temple so people will stand around in it. It's also in my walkway to all the other temples.

Dwarves love mist.

Where does the water come from to start it?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Weembles posted:

Where does the water come from to start it?

you can designate an area as a pond and dwarves will bring water in buckets to dump in, so idk probably one of the grates is fine to dump some water on if you can guarantee the pumps are already running when it happens

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

hailthefish posted:

you can designate an area as a pond and dwarves will bring water in buckets to dump in, so idk probably one of the grates is fine to dump some water on if you can guarantee the pumps are already running when it happens

Yup, built walls around one of the statues, designated it as a pond from the channel above. Once it was filled and the screw pumps started and it was working, I disassembled the walls.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

One of my dwarves cooked a bunch of meals, but then left them in the kitchen instead of putting them away in barrels. They're starting to rot. I have open barrels, so how can I force a dwarf to put these away? I'm not sure what labor it falls under.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Bold Robot posted:

One of my dwarves cooked a bunch of meals, but then left them in the kitchen instead of putting them away in barrels. They're starting to rot. I have open barrels, so how can I force a dwarf to put these away? I'm not sure what labor it falls under.
You got a food stockpile up and running?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Bold Robot posted:

you need a stockpile designated to accept food, specifically prepared meals, with open space. and ideally it needs to also allow barrels. then a dwarf with the hauling labor comes along and hauls the food to the stockpile.

in the pre-steam version there were some potential accidental settings togglings that could happen to prevent dwarves from hauling food but I'm not sure if it's possible in the steam version

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

nielsm posted:

This up here is an elf's head.
Nobody have been fighting up on this roof over the murder tunnel, so I assume it was just lopped off from down below and flew all the way up there.

I've had this happen, too. Severed parts can apparently fly quite high.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

hailthefish posted:

you need a stockpile designated to accept food, specifically prepared meals, with open space. and ideally it needs to also allow barrels. then a dwarf with the hauling labor comes along and hauls the food to the stockpile.

in the pre-steam version there were some potential accidental settings togglings that could happen to prevent dwarves from hauling food but I'm not sure if it's possible in the steam version

I’ve got a properly set up food stockpile next to the kitchen, and generally it works fine, most of the food has been making its way there. Just trying to figure out how to get someone to haul these particular meals right now before they spoil. Is there a way to tell dwarves to prioritize hauling a particular item?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Bold Robot posted:

I’ve got a properly set up food stockpile next to the kitchen, and generally it works fine, most of the food has been making its way there. Just trying to figure out how to get someone to haul these particular meals right now before they spoil. Is there a way to tell dwarves to prioritize hauling a particular item?

not really, no

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

nielsm posted:

This up here is an elf's head.
Nobody have been fighting up on this roof over the murder tunnel, so I assume it was just lopped off from down below and flew all the way up there.

DF physics are weird. I wanted to make a pond a bit deeper, so I had my miner widen it until the water level was around 2-3, then designated a few tiles in the middle of it to be channeled, only apparently when digging out the third one, the water rushing into the hole was strong enough to sweep my miner along. Strangely I couldn't find her down in the hole itself. It wasn't until I focused on the miner through the job cancellation alert that I realized she had somehow gotten stuck up in the branches of the tree overhanging the pond several z-levels above.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

How do you handle your corpse stockpile? My dwarves get debuffs from just chucking them in a pile outside. Can you dump them down a chute or something?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
If you put a refuse stockpile next to a hole they'll throw trash into the hole

Ideally that hole is >3 z levels deep with magma at the bottom

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Speaking of dumping and holes, I have a one-tile channel down to some magma and occasionally the dwarves dumping stuff in catch on fire and die. I guess the solution is to have them dump from further up?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

If a trader caravan gets stuck on my map, how do I get them off?

Just realized after 3 seasons of no Migrants it's because these merchants were stuck on the map, in an area I hadn't dug an entrance/built a bridge to. So I corrected that and they now have a route into the base and a route off-map. But they're still just standing here.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Clocks posted:

Speaking of dumping and holes, I have a one-tile channel down to some magma and occasionally the dwarves dumping stuff in catch on fire and die. I guess the solution is to have them dump from further up?

Dumping stuff in magma causes a splash, so yeah, just make the hole a bit deeper.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Clocks posted:

Yeah, you get magma mist when things burn, hence needing a deep pit

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

deep dish peat moss posted:

Just realized after 3 seasons of no Migrants it's because these merchants were stuck on the map, in an area I hadn't dug an entrance/built a bridge to. So I corrected that and they now have a route into the base and a route off-map. But they're still just standing here.

I had a caravan stop and get stuck as it was leaving a fortress of mine as well, and it turned out to be because one of their pack animals had gotten stuck up in a tree somewhere. Eventually they vanished shortly before they were due to make their next visit to the fortress.

Trees in general just seem really inclined to eat anyone that comes near them, then slowly kill them with starvation and dehydration.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

This embark looks amazing from the minimap.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It gets even better :doh: There are two separate caravans stuck on my map.

The other is right here. In the room right next to my trade depot. They had to go PAST my trade depot to get here!

Also my dwarves never even cleared out the items they bought from the trader 1+ year ago!

Anyway, deconstructing the trade depot fixed this and made both sets of merchants finally leave. I guess they were just queued up waiting for it to "clear out" from the previous merchant a year ago.

I think this second group is actually the caravan from 1+ year ago and they just never found their way out of this big square room for some reason :confused:

e: And I just figured out why. My original trade depot was basically just an outdoor valley in the mountains that dipped into my fortress. But it looks like at some point the ramps that lead down to the trade post collapsed and now it's just a hole in the floor above my trade post.

So now I dug a road through the mountain to fix future issues.

Bold Robot posted:

This embark looks amazing from the minimap.

:yeah: It's rad! I spent literally all day yesterday rolling worlds to find it but I finally found map creator settings that place larger rivers next to volcanos, so this is 6 tiles of Minor River forming the Y-split (which has been rerouted into an underground river that feeds a holy water pool in my temple now) and the volcano. Bonus: River + Volcano usually means a silt layer for farming!

if it stands the test of time I plan to expand the rivers into large lakes on either side of the mountain, or just expand the area around the wide lagoon at the bottom center.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 18, 2022

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Ultra-efficient high-speed automated quantum stockpiling
-snip-

From a few pages back, but quoting this so I can find it later, since I also like written guides.

By the way deep dish, I remember your first few posts were pretty down on the idea of dwarf fortress, so I'm glad that you not only decided to stick with it a bit more but seem to be enjoying it? :)

The longer I play the more little things crop up that I wish they'd fix interface-wise or bug-wise, but since it's a "new" release I expect them to get to them eventually. But there is something absolutely magical about dwarf fortress that you can't really get anywhere else.

Here's a bolt striking a bat man in the arm, causing him to drop his shield, which smacks him in his leg and causes him to fall over.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
On the topic of deep pits, do things eventually fall far enough to explode, or if you make the effort to dig a complete 80 z level hole and have people on the surface throw logs in, will they just collect at the bottom for easy retrieval?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Clocks posted:

By the way deep dish, I remember your first few posts were pretty down on the idea of dwarf fortress, so I'm glad that you not only decided to stick with it a bit more but seem to be enjoying it? :)

Yeah! I still don't think as "fun" of a "game" as something like Rimworld that's designed to be a "fun game", but Dwarf Fortress really clicked once I realized how similar to Songs of Syx it is and then reframed my perspective more as it being a thing I can just leave running in the background all day as a sort of like, digital ant farm terrarium thing I can shape over time, instead of something I'll sit down and excitedly play all day (though I've still been binging it here and there)

I still haven't had much interesting "story" type stuff happen but that's largely because I keep restarting, but I'm digging the just like, planning and engineering weird fort projects side of it a lot.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Is there anything to do with sentient prisoners? I'm not feeling particularly sadistic, so preferably something useful.

Azhais posted:

On the topic of deep pits, do things eventually fall far enough to explode, or if you make the effort to dig a complete 80 z level hole and have people on the surface throw logs in, will they just collect at the bottom for easy retrieval?

https://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/zkg48e/returning_some_rodent_men_to_their_home/

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I'm surprised no-one has been talking about burrowing STRAIGHT TO HELL Is that still in the game?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

I.

:yeah: It's rad! I spent literally all day yesterday rolling worlds to find it but I finally found map creator settings that place larger rivers next to volcanos, so this is 6 tiles of Minor River forming the Y-split (which has been rerouted into an underground river that feeds a holy water pool in my temple now) and the volcano. Bonus: River + Volcano usually means a silt layer for farming!

[

What settings exactly?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

sebmojo posted:

I'm surprised no-one has been talking about burrowing STRAIGHT TO HELL Is that still in the game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSXcx-aiUok

Twisted logic is doing that live right now

e: nevermind he just found the clowncar

Azhais fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Dec 18, 2022

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Is there anything to do with sentient prisoners? I'm not feeling particularly sadistic, so preferably something useful.

there isn't really anything useful you can do without sadism (and risk to dwarves) being involved. a fun peaceful but useless thing you can do is put them in your tavern for people to laugh at and spill beer on

Aeolusdallas
Mar 2, 2016
I finally dug down through my first (light) aquifer and the posters here were correct. It really wasn't difficult at all

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
-Snip solved it-

Lucinice fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 18, 2022

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Broken Cog posted:

I tried doing catch-and-release with some hostile dwarves: I'd dump all their items and have them hauled up to a spot on the back of the outer wall where they would be booted off into a mud puddle, and then they'd run away.

This worked well for the first two, but then the third escaped while being hauled up the stairs and he killed two of my dwarves before the military put him down. Now everybody gets dropped down a shaft into the caverns, and if they survive they can have fun with the giant tick and his deadly dust.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

sebmojo posted:

certainly is, but most players don't want to die quite that fast

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

My fortress is going into a mental health spiral, gave my dwarves bedrooms and several temples and a nice tavern but they keep having tavern brawls, which leads to injuries and deaths, which causes dwarves to be sad.

Anything I can do to help? Lots of them have unmet needs for acquiring objects and being extravagant but I don’t know if I can meet all of them.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
What does "being extravagant" even mean

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

I just had two different troupes of traveling elves visit. Neither is wearing clothes. Roughly half my occupants are now nude elves drinking and vomiting all over my tavern. Send help.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Yeah! I still don't think as "fun" of a "game" as something like Rimworld that's designed to be a "fun game", but Dwarf Fortress really clicked once I realized how similar to Songs of Syx it is and then reframed my perspective more as it being a thing I can just leave running in the background all day as a sort of like, digital ant farm terrarium thing I can shape over time, instead of something I'll sit down and excitedly play all day (though I've still been binging it here and there)

I still haven't had much interesting "story" type stuff happen but that's largely because I keep restarting, but I'm digging the just like, planning and engineering weird fort projects side of it a lot.
Awesome! Yeah, it's definitely a bit different from rimworld, even though they fall into a similar simulation/colony umbrella. Making megaprojects in various biomes and whatever is a common way of having fun in DF.

I might restart again soon as well, there's something finicky going on with my current fort. What I should really do is learn how to do magma pump stacks and misting but I feel like I'm too dumb to start learning about dwarven engineering.

Broken Cog posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/zkg48e/returning_some_rodent_men_to_their_home/

Aside from placing their cages in any kind of meeting space, there isn't really anything you can do that's not "sadistic." Other things you can do with cages: drop them down designated pits (like you linked in reddit), release them in a room made of fortifications to let your marksdwarves practice hitting them with bolts, release them in your barracks for practice for your military dwarves (after taking away their weapons/armor via, iirc, dumping commands while un-dumping the cage after designating it).

Elderbean posted:

My fortress is going into a mental health spiral, gave my dwarves bedrooms and several temples and a nice tavern but they keep having tavern brawls, which leads to injuries and deaths, which causes dwarves to be sad.

Anything I can do to help? Lots of them have unmet needs for acquiring objects and being extravagant but I don’t know if I can meet all of them.
Acquiring objects and being extravagant are kind of very similar, the latter is done by acquiring really fancy/expensive objects. Make some nice crafts and maybe decorate them and dwarves might choose to place like 8 crowns on their heads. Or for instance make some really nice robes for them to wear or whatever.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
In theory if you make large clothes they'll get dressed

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Azhais posted:

In theory if you make large clothes they'll get dressed

I'm not gonna make clothes for elves, gtfo

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Azhais posted:

What does "being extravagant" even mean
I also wish to know this, but I imagine if you crank out some knick knacks that might work?

Also I think elves wear stuff in the same size range as dwarfs. It's hunams who require Large clothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Nessus posted:

I also wish to know this, but I imagine if you crank out some knick knacks that might work?

Also I think elves wear stuff in the same size range as dwarfs. It's hunams who require Large clothing.

I was reading somewhere that one of the races is a happy medium. Like if you make all your clothes for lizard men it will be properly sized for both dwarves and humans