Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Magic Tree House anime movie got an American elementary school pretty dead on I'd say, though it doesn't spend all that much time in there and the source material is an American series to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That's why I'm curious about how they might go about presenting foreign schools, considering how many japanese high school stories there are. It could either be an insightful look at culture exchange or it could be hilariously off base. Like, Gundam 0080 has a strong "Smalltown America" vibe that extends to the classroom scenes when Al isn't helping Bernie out and playing soldier. It's only in glimpses but I felt it was a pretty decent example of a non-japanese school setting.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Dec 14, 2022

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Arc Hammer posted:

Or America in general. The best is still Excel Saga showing off inner city new york.

The Gunsmith Cats anime production team actually visited Chicago to do location shoots and it shows.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

The Gunsmith Cats anime production team actually visited Chicago to do location shoots and it shows.

The shortlived assassin manga "Tista" had the creator and his editor stay in New York to research the manga.

This was complicated by them only having the budget for one hotel room, and not a particularly nice one. Still, the editor spoke of it as a good memory in interviews.

The mangaka's actually still working these days, although he isn't able to keep up a weekly schedule. I think he's doing some kind of family comedy on Jump Plus that he started after working as an assistant to some rookie mangaka the editor had picked up.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Arc Hammer posted:

Or America in general. The best is still Excel Saga showing off inner city new york.

The second best is Bryan Hawk's backstory in Ippo.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

You should watch legend of the galactic heroes

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is that Tomo chan is a Girl 4Koma any good? Just saw the trailer for the anime.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Arc Hammer posted:

Is that Tomo chan is a Girl 4Koma any good? Just saw the trailer for the anime.

It's aggressively mediocre. There was a long running joke in ADTRW that it was the Garfield of 4-koma, and I feel like that was being harsh on Garfield.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
For extra laughs see the time Matoi Ryuko had a meltdown over a funny edit Burbo made of it

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3809407&pagenumber=7&perpage=40#post469666412

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Julias posted:

For extra laughs see the time Matoi Ryuko had a meltdown over a funny edit Burbo made of it

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3809407&pagenumber=7&perpage=40#post469666412

Heh, lasagna.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The side characters in it are good but it drags on too long. And towards the end it gives the side girls really dull love interest boys, iirc.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Julias posted:

Scrolling down and laughing more and more for each "User was put on probation for this post"

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Julias posted:

Lol, I think my favorite part was the constructive post you made about their irrational shitfit punctuated by a probe, peak comedy.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
I remember reading Tomo-chan is a Girl! for a while but eventually dropping it because, like a lot of 4koma, the pace is glacial. Like Nozaki-kun also has basically zero progress but the joke is "we're all really, really stupid and also shoujo manga do be funny". Tomo-chan's joke is "this one guy is really, really stupid and also there's other one-note characters". It's just not enough bang for your buck imo

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The actual endgame arc also sucked a lot

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tomo-chan is the type of romcom that has a joke for exactly one strip but needs to make it last for 950 and its author is incapable of actually writing characters so the romance has no chemistry

nozaki-kun being based around general shoujo manga tropes gives it room to just kind of do whatever at any time. tomo-chan's basic premise is maybe the least funny thing imaginable and most of its attempts at humor outside of that are more befuddling than funny

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And yet popular enough for a 13 episode cour. I've read a few 4Komas that are funny and cute but is there really enough steam and popularity behind them for an anime?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

yes? there's lots of popular animes based on 4koma

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
I mean Bocchi The Rock(!!) might be the best anime of the season and it's a 4-koma, right? I can definitely see 4komas being harder to adapt since the pacing's different, but if the jokes are good, there's potential. It just so happens that the jokes in Tomo-chan are not good.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Tales of Woe posted:

yes? there's lots of popular animes based on 4koma

I mean in the sense that something that was just explained to me as "the Garfield of 4komas" seems like an odd choice for an anime adaptation. I remember what happened when Garfield got a movie. Is there even much of an arc for them to cover with the show that would lead to a satisfying conclusion if they only get one cour?

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 18, 2022

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there are tons of really cheap 4koma anime that dont have a real endpoint to hit

bear in mind that most of why anime exists is for advertising, not for the sake of having a fancy and well-made anime. the weird part of this is how long it's been since tomo-chan ended but idk there's a lucifer and biscuit hammer anime going right now that's also insanely cheap and that manga ended over a decade ago

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 18, 2022

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

4koma adapt really well actually, they benefit a lot from the addition of voice acting and comedic timing. if the jokes are bad though then theres not much you can do.

Arc Hammer posted:

I mean in the sense that something that was just explained to me as "the Garfield of 4komas" seems like an odd choice for an anime adaptation. I remember what happened when Garfield got a movie. Is there even much of an arc for them to cover with the show that would lead to a satisfying conclusion if they only get one cour?

idk theres lots of other recent shows you can look at with similarly low-stakes low-plot vanilla romcom beats, its a big trend right now. uzaki-chan, annoying senpai, shikimori-san, ayumu, etc these arent all 4-koma but they have the same sort of content as a tomo-chan anime presumably would

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Colonel posted:

tomo-chan is the type of romcom that has a joke for exactly one strip but needs to make it last for 950 and its author is incapable of actually writing characters so the romance has no chemistry

nozaki-kun being based around general shoujo manga tropes gives it room to just kind of do whatever at any time. tomo-chan's basic premise is maybe the least funny thing imaginable and most of its attempts at humor outside of that are more befuddling than funny

the premise is only really funny if you take it completely seriously and imagine that every Japanese person is both so face blind and so androgynous that without clear gender signalling nobody has any idea who anyone else is if they change their clothes or whatever

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
It's kinda like Shikimori's Not Just A Cutie where I'm just left perpetually wondering if something gets lost in translation because the set-up to the joke will be like "get this: she's cute... AND cool??" and I'll be like "uh... okay? :confused:" and later realize that's supposed to be the punchline too.

I feel like the premise for Tomo-chan is as good as any to build a rom-com around it, just not as the basis for every joke. Hell, it's not even that different a concept from My Senpai is Annoying, and that one's decent.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah there's a lot of that type of comedy shoujo where they only have 1 or 2 jokes where I legitimately can't tell if it's really that dull or there's some cultural context im missing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

'quality' and 'ability to tell a coherent story' are like the least important reasons for a manga to get an adaptation

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tomo-chan is getting an anime because the character designs are cute and fairly marketable, the artist is popular, and romcoms are in right now

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

What are some good shoujos for someone who hasn't really messed around with the genre?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean shoujo is an extremely broad category, what are you looking for here. serious drama romance? romcoms? magical girl stuff? fantasy?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Romance/Romcom honestly thought that's what shoujo meant this whole time.

I'll try anything, but if there's something where they're already a couple and it's about their relationship that would be nice.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

I'll try anything, but if there's something where they're already a couple and it's about their relationship that would be nice.

Shoujo, like shonen, is technically a demographic marker, not a genre, even if it gets used that way. It says what magazine something runs in, not what it's about.

There's actually an Attack on Titan spinoff that's shojou, and it's Levi's backstory arc. Doesn't change the tone, got put out as an OVA just like the other sidestory stuff, but since it was published in a shoujo magazine, it's shoujo.

The back half of Kaguya sounds like you might like it, if you haven't read it already.

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

I'm almost at the end of the 2019 Fruits Basket remake, and it's been thoroughly enjoyable so far. Good production values, too.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

shoujo just means 'manga for girls,' the same way shonen means 'manga for girls,' romance/romcom are common but plenty of other things are shoujo, just like there's shonen romance/romcoms.

ore monogatari has a pretty nonstandard lead and they get together fairly quickly from what i remember. its msotly fluff but its cute.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Endorph posted:

shoujo just means 'manga for girls,' the same way shonen means 'manga for girls,'

:hmmyes:

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Re: shoujo/romance with already established couples, there's a lot more to find in manga than in anime. One I recommend often (though it only has a few chapters out and is no longer in Mangadex) is Cuprum's Bride. Traditional coppersmith gets engaged to his highschool sweetheart. It's pretty sweet and the characters have good chemistry, plus there's significant focus on copperwork poo poo if that's something you can get into.

There's also Hokuo Kizoku to Moukinzuma no Yukiguni Karigurashi ("Snow Country Life of the Northern Nobleman and his Eagle Wife"). A young lord from a podunk nowhere village in the frozen tundra gets engaged to a female war veteran, originally out of convenience but then they get to know each other and yadda yadda. The setting is fictional, but it's pretty clearly based on Sami culture. I haven't gotten super far, but it seems to be one of the few romance stories I've found that'll pair a tomboyish female lead with gentle male lead and not make, like, a big deal out of it.

There's three other romance stories I'd suggest, but I guess they're not technically shoujo, as per the definition above. Oh well:

Kekkon Surutte, Hontou desu ka? ("365 Days to the Wedding") has a pretty standard romcom premise: two dorks who work together at a travel agency but barely know each other get fake-engaged in order to avoid getting transferred to Siberia, but then they get to know each other a:words: Both the leads and the support cast are very likeable. The manga seems to be on its home stretch atm and it's getting a live movie adaptation.

Super no Ura de Yani Suu Hanashi ("Smoking behind the supermarket") is a story about... smoking behind the supermarket. A brow-beaten salaryman has a crush on a cashier at the convenience store on his way home from work, and regularly gets teased by a mysterious woman he shares smoking breaks with at the same place, but since's a face-blind dumbass he doesn't realize they're the same person. This one doesn't start off with a couple, but it's cute. I think the male lead's supposed to be in his early 40s, which is practically senile by manga standards, but it doesn't come across as creepy.

Seihantaina Kimi to Boku ("You and I are Polar Opposites") is a highschool romcom about a loud idiot and a quiet nerd who start dating. The art style's more cartoony than usual for romance stories, but the comedy's pretty good. The entire cast is great, especially Gapacho.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im not fixing that typo

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I recall Tomo-chan having good faces.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Thanks for the recs everyone!

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
When is Mousou Telepathy getting an anime; that’s the real question

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i was gonna post about a bunch of shoujo i liked and then i spent 30 minutes flipping through my history before realizing that yep, i pretty much don't keep track of the names at all, mentally speaking. i know if i already read them when i come across them, though. anyway i hesitate to ever recommend any of the ones i read. not because they're bad, I like almost all of them. but the ones i read tend to be very low stakes. like sweat and soap is great. the one i just read, my pink is overflowing, is also great. the one my avatar is from, omukae shibuya-kun, is again, great. the common thread uniting all these is that they're fairly undramatic and just straightforward romances, which a lot of people tell me sucks and they hate it, lol. im a big slice of life head so a lack of melodrama is fine to me.

plus, i think a lot of the uh... inserted drama? in rom coms (especially the ones that get adapted to anime) sucks poo poo and is done poorly.

anyway it's not romance but you really, really should read My Girl because it's finished and it's beautiful and made me cry. i have no idea what kind of magazine it ran in so it may or may not actually be shoujo. actually that goes for everything i read. i just loosely guess unless the back of the volume has one of those goofy pages telling me to mail my thoughts to bestassu friend or something.