Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

When Mirko is not on screen, everybody should be asking where Mirko is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Tabletops posted:

that was good. they didn't spend a whole lot of time on the tomoko/ochako thing and i did not see the Dabi thing coming. good twist!

I lol'd when he lampshaded it with "pyrokinesis is such a common power you didn't even think to suspect it"

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

I lol'd when he lampshaded it with "pyrokinesis is such a common power you didn't even think to suspect it"

Endeavor was too busy investigating if Midoriya's fire-breathing dad was Touya.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
The Dabi thing was obvious as soon as we found out Endeavour had a missing son but the execution of the “twist” was great.

Imo the biggest twist was Best Jeanist showing up and being relevant again.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
Both of the family reveals really fell flat for me, like, Shigaraki's was almost Spaceballs-esque.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The end reveal was pretty hype.

Part of the problem here is everything is just speeding up to bigger and badder reveals so poo poo like Toga having a personal moment of reject doesn't breathe. Shigs needs to be on time out because he's a loving plot device existential threat at this point and we're all in a SUDDEN SHOCKING REVEAL holding pattern where everything is topped by something more amazing and unexpected

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i actually really liked the dabi reveal. dabi dancing in glee was pretty fun and it's bringing the long running and reasonably emotionally complicated endeavor family plot to a head. it certainly feels a lot more meaningful than shigaraki being the grandkid of a previous OfA user, which i just extremely just do not care about (despite otherwise liking shigaraki as a character). it's a weird loving time to have this reveal though, i think it's supposed to be turning the victory over shigaraki on its head, taking what should be a moment of triumph and completely undercutting it with a freight train everyone's been waiting to arrive (endeavor's awful family business being aired out publicly while he's the face of heroes). the characters would actually need a moment of respite for that to work i think though, could've been a cooler twist after beating gigantomachia or something. but idk where the rest of the story is going, maybe it's important to have this moment here.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

InspectorCarbonara posted:

The Dabi thing was obvious as soon as we found out Endeavour had a missing son but the execution of the “twist” was great.

Imo the biggest twist was Best Jeanist showing up and being relevant again.

I guess. I didn’t even remember that he had a missing son. Just a dead one. I honestly thought the twist with dabi was going to be he was like some government experiment gone rogue like a failed Hawks predecessor or something based on him knowing hawks real name or whatever

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Tabletops posted:

I guess. I didn’t even remember that he had a missing son. Just a dead one. I honestly thought the twist with dabi was going to be he was like some government experiment gone rogue like a failed Hawks predecessor or something based on him knowing hawks real name or whatever

The dead son is the missing son.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
This would have been an absolute bar buster of an episode! had they not done the Dramatic Entrance of a Hero poo poo like 5 minutes earlier. Miro should have had a whole drat episode to himself cliffhanger style!

Compress gonna hack his legs off or something?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

for like half a second i was briefly tricked into believing that nejire would get a cool moment where she gets to do anything at all

also yeah mirio showing up was such a let down. after so much emotional build up over him i really expected a lot more than "number 8 out of 10 new hero finding strength to join the fray asspulls." he's just here to deal with the nomu chaff that wasn't even part of this fight before this episode, and part of the way in he says he can't even do that much (though he seemed ok vs that nomu 1 on 1). very "anime movie where [fan favorite character #14] who has no reason to be there shows up and does his special move for one cut then slides back into the background" energy. also having his lack of a quirk resolved in a 15 second flashback really blows but maybe this is just the story tying up all those ends so it doesn't have to pretend to still care about them later, idk.

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Dec 18, 2022

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
That's entirely fair, but on the other hand, this sets up a lot of things for the future, AKA how they're going to fix 95% of the Hero population being somewhere between "broken" and "nearly dead". Eri being able to control her powers enough to reverse Miro before losing his powers will mean the people that wouldn't be able to be fixed back up by Recovery Girl aren't going into All Might level retirement. It's no less rear end-pully, but at least it allowed a little bit of "Huh, there are actually stakes involved.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/YoPhantomX/stat...ingawful.com%2F

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
I would honestly like to know how much money Epic throws around for these tie ins. It's got to be insane considering how much Marvel and Star Wars presence is in the game. Even without those, entire modes based on some of the biggest and most marketable anime series out there can't be cheap.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Fortnite brought in 5.8 BILLION dollars in 2021 alone.

I think they got the money to spare.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Had a lot of stuff on my mind Saturday so I actually watched Dabi's Dance yesterday on Christmas. It was really good.

Found it interesting how much more together Shoto was about the whole thing than his own pops. Also Dabi's English VA really hit it out of the park.

Uraraka vs. Toga turned out to be absolutely nothing. I like Ochaco, I could give or take Toga, so I hope the former gets a time to shine sometime soon.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It feels like the series keeps going over the same talking points with Toga without like

actually pushing those points forward. We get it, you like blood and people thought you were weird.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

NikkolasKing posted:

Had a lot of stuff on my mind Saturday so I actually watched Dabi's Dance yesterday on Christmas. It was really good.

Found it interesting how much more together Shoto was about the whole thing than his own pops. Also Dabi's English VA really hit it out of the park.

I'm glad you enjoyed the episode. Dabi's Dance is one of the best scenes in the whole show thanks to how fun Dabi is and how the reveal managed to not gently caress itself over, as opposed to anything involving Tobi in Naruto Shippuden or whatever reveals you could see coming from miles away in the past decade. As I'm always eager to note, the night the chapter got leaked, it managed to out-trend the 2020 Election.

And yeah, Toga is boring and repetitive. I tend to joke about how she's a figment of Ochako's imagination with how extraneous she is.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Toga's story seems like it can only end with her trying the Ochako Megakill move only for her not to be able to access it and Ocha doing some speech about how she do want know love she knows obsession and Toga just losing all contact with reality.

Then, iono, Froppy will stop her from charging Ochako and in the process Toga'll fall off a building, leaving but a syringe behind.

End of this cour: good half-season. The constant one-upsmanship got grating at the end. Next half is probably focused on fallout from the assault, and I feel that it won't be as strong.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Dec 27, 2022

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Why isn’t the kissy lady healing the non midoriya people? Did she die?

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Tabletops posted:

Why isn’t the kissy lady healing the non midoriya people? Did she die?

She had to be nerfed because we need to sell this most recent batch of injuries.

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

Delphisage posted:

She had to be nerfed because we need to sell this most recent batch of injuries.

I mean given the state of things, maybe not so much nerfed as overworked. A little surprised she didn't fix up endeavor though.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Well you have to remember that she can't actually heal any injury(she can't regrow lost limbs for example), she only amplifies and speeds up the body's natural healing at the cost of the persons own stamina, and it can potentially kill you if she tries to heal too much at once. Helpful for being a school nurse at a super hero training school, not great for healing a whole army of people after a brutal battle.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Rhonne posted:

Well you have to remember that she can't actually heal any injury(she can't regrow lost limbs for example), she only amplifies and speeds up the body's natural healing at the cost of the persons own stamina, and it can potentially kill you if she tries to heal too much at once. Helpful for being a school nurse at a super hero training school, not great for healing a whole army of people after a brutal battle.

given she was able to heal midoriya's gelatinized limbs multiple times before she told him he's done, i figured healing the dudes with debilitating but not body destroying injuries like Endeavor or the school kids or even hawks (though his wing injury seemed really serious) is kinda ???

they desperately need heroes out on the streets so lol

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Tabletops posted:

even hawks (though his wing injury seemed really serious)
It wasn't that b-

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

Goon spotted in the newest episode.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the expansion on endeavor's family drama isn't bad. seems fairly effective in walking back some of the ways that the ambiguity in what happened made him come off a lot more unforgivably awful than he's expected to be, while still keeping the core of why what he did to his family was really lovely.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

The Awesomesaurus posted:

Goon spotted in the newest episode.

That's probably half the western MHA fandom's attitude.

Delphisage fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 7, 2023

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

tbf, I wasn’t making a statement about the Endeavor stuff, just the dude’s lifestyle lol

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Gotta love that there's a guy whose Quirk is basically "Garfield."

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I thought the dub for the whole season was out so I binged it through Hellish Hell and then stopped since that felt like the natural pause point. Anyway...

- This season is :krad: goddamn. It's not my favorite season but the pace is non-stop.
- Big drawback to the season: the opening and ending songs are all mid.
- I was completely out on the League of Villains after their garbage arc at the end of last season, but they've been much more compelling since then. Twice's death in particular worked pretty well, and the Dabi reveal might've been predictable, but that's because it made sense.
- I kind of like that the kids aren't the focal point for a while. They were used in ways that made sense, and their escalating involvement over the course of the season also made sense. It's impressive how many of them got a little moment.
- I don't remember whatever that flashback was that caused Ashida to freak out and fail her first big hero moment in the entire show, but that was disappointing.
- Deku doing Black Whip "Froppy-style" was both cool and gross, I love it.
- Nejire actually hit something with her lasers! hooray
- Did I cheer aloud when Lemillion showed up? You'd better believe it!
- Goddamn I can't believe the creator killed Ms. Midnight, she was fun. I guess he decided to pour all of his horniest energies into his new toy, Mirko, instead. The shot where her thighs bulged like she was going super saiyan was SOMETHING.
- That said, Mirko is cool as hell and had my favorite moment of the season when she was probably on the verge of death but still took the time to ask Endeavor if he needed her to kick something. I think we even got a "what's up doc?" at some point: perfect.
- My favorite running joke in the whole series is that Shigaraki thinks Aizawa is a huge badass and will remark on that at every opportunity.

Is next season the last one? It's clear what the next escalation is given the next episode's title, but I don't know where they would go after that. Feels like we're nearly at the finale!

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I also recently binged the dub.
For the entire fuckin series.

The current season works a lot better as a binge, I think. There's a lot of those "each character gets their moment" bits that, when you only get one of them a week, and it keeps going, made it kind of a slog week-by-week and made me care a lot less about the story.
Like Shigaraki exploded everything two months ago and now I have to sit through Toga doing some soul searching rather than seeing Deku kick his rear end

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

surf rock posted:

Is next season the last one? It's clear what the next escalation is given the next episode's title, but I don't know where they would go after that. Feels like we're nearly at the finale!

The manga is currently in the middle of the final arc, so next season should be the last one.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rhonne posted:

The manga is currently in the middle of the final arc, so next season should be the last one.

Then again, with the glacial pace the manga’s currently going we don’t really know how much longer that’s going to last either

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sockser posted:

The current season works a lot better as a binge, I think. There's a lot of those "each character gets their moment" bits that, when you only get one of them a week, and it keeps going, made it kind of a slog week-by-week and made me care a lot less about the story.

I feel like this has been true of MHA as a whole. I've had a good time with the series overall, even the last season which many folks were down on. But I usually wait for a significant chunk of the season to be available, if not the whole thing, before I start watching a new season. The times I've tried to follow it weekly have been rough.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Larryb posted:

Then again, with the glacial pace the manga’s currently going we don’t really know how much longer that’s going to last either
The workload is drat near killing the author so that sucks and it's made me rethink my criticisms of how it's going down.

Maybe it'll be a case where the anime gets to reshuffle things with the benefit of hindsight.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Punished "Venom" Deku

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
he's batman

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Well that was a letdown of a confrontation.

Guess it shows how Deku's grown but still, not enough punches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

in this episode muscular (is it just me or did he used to be called mustard?) is a stand in for the viewer, who wants to watch a cool fight scene and is disappointed when one does not materialize

this sounds pretty down on the episode but i thought it was overall fine