Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Riker playing with a Picard doll when they are in the room with all of the Captain Picard Day stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Peak Riker:

Irish Lady: "You never seen a woman before?"
Riker: <big grin> "I thought I had."
Irish Lady: <stunned silence>

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

FlamingLiberal posted:

Riker playing with a Picard doll when they are in the room with all of the Captain Picard Day stuff

Blistex posted:

Peak Riker:

Irish Lady: "You never seen a woman before?"
Riker: <big grin> "I thought I had."
Irish Lady: <stunned silence>

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Tighclops posted:

I sometimes find myself trying to define "peak riker" moments, this one is definitely up there. Others include:

-smug riker immediately following the rescue of Picard during Best of both worlds

-literally any moment during that episode where he goes to chill with the Klingons

-saying he's going to be on the holodeck jacking off immediately after meeting the lady from GoldenEye

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLXihtxPtbk&t=57s

His :dudsmile: reaction is a definite Peak Riker moment.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The episode where Riker goes to serve on the Klingon ship and before he goes he just chows the gently caress down on Klingon food is pretty peak Riker.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Tighclops posted:

-saying he's going to be on the holodeck jacking off immediately after meeting the lady from GoldenEye

All the ones mentioned are good, but this one makes me laugh whenever I think about it. You know the ship is in trouble when someone comes aboard and makes Riker so horny he literally has to announce he needs to jerk off as soon as they meet.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Olewithmilk posted:

All the ones mentioned are good, but this one makes me laugh whenever I think about it. You know the ship is in trouble when someone comes aboard and makes Riker so horny he literally has to announce he needs to jerk off as soon as they meet.

My google has failed me but does anyone have the video of this. I don't remember it.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Hollismason posted:

My google has failed me but does anyone have the video of this. I don't remember it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lobo3c0NFg

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I fuckin love riker so much

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Johnathan Frakes is also probably the best director of Star Trek as well. He's directed like 21 episodes of Star Trek across the different series and he directed 2 movies.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I don't know if I'd call him best in terms of the film direction. He's certainly one of the most reliable, which is one reason he's extremely beloved by production and directs a lot. He gets things done smoothly and on-time and vibes well with casts and crew and production alike.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
There’s a commentary track for that luddite colony episode of Discovery he directed. He and Anson Mount have a good laugh over it having been filmed at Ball’s Falls.

“Balls Falls!!!”

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

LeVar Burton is underrated here. I think it would have to be Nicholas Meyer or Cliff Bole though.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

I'm ignorant enough of the process of filmmaking to really appreciate what a director does. But I will say that bosses in most industries, not just showbiz, will happily pick someone who's "competent though not brilliant; will get the job done with no drama" over someone who's "an utter genius in the field but notoriously difficult to work with". And they aren't wrong to do so, most of the time.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Miles for some reason is aghast that Keiko is going to spend another 7 months on Bajor. That doesn't make sense.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MikeJF posted:

I don't know if I'd call him best in terms of the film direction. He's certainly one of the most reliable, which is one reason he's extremely beloved by production and directs a lot. He gets things done smoothly and on-time and vibes well with casts and crew and production alike.

Right. In terms of efficiency, he's very good. In terms of being creative as a director, no, he's bland as cauliflower.

Hollismason posted:

Miles for some reason is aghast that Keiko is going to spend another 7 months on Bajor. That doesn't make sense.

It's not uncommon for someone to miss their spouse.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Timby posted:

Right. In terms of efficiency, he's very good. In terms of being creative as a director, no, he's bland as cauliflower.

It's not uncommon for someone to miss their spouse.

Yeah I guess Stockholm syndrome for Miles makes sense.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Timby posted:

I'm thinking about "Cause and Effect," which Two-Takes Frakes directed. I thought it was overall an unsettling episode, especially helped by things like the way each iteration through the loop was filmed from a different angle. How much of that was direction and how much was the DP, I don't know, but I've got to think Frakes contributed significantly to it.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I like cauliflower.

Anyway I have watched the first two episodes of SNW and it’s pretty good so far! Pleasant surprise. Waiting for somebody to start weeping profusely

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Just watched, for the first time, the Voyager episode where Neelix dies, is resurrected, and discovers that his religion is a lie.

That was a hoot.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Timby posted:

I'll take bland as a cauliflower over every shot being dutch or doing backflips, though.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Hollismason posted:

Yeah I guess Stockholm syndrome for Miles makes sense.

Let's please not get into the "keiko's a bitch and miles is whipped lololololol" thing again in this thread. Their relationship was poorly written, and Behr & Co. had a lot of ... issues when it came to writing women.

MikeJF posted:

I'll take bland as a cauliflower over every shot being dutch or doing backflips, though.

I agree, but, for example, compare how many genuinely beautiful shots (that aren't VFX; I'm talking about actor blocking, camera positioning and movement) are in, say, Insurrection, or The Search for Spock, compared to The Final Frontier. Shatner blows away Frakes' work every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Frakes' work is the exact same as Nimoy's: Two-shots, wide coverage, close-ups, call it a day and everyone go home.

Timby fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Dec 19, 2022

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

TengenNewsEditor posted:

LeVar Burton is underrated here. I think it would have to be Nicholas Meyer or Cliff Bole though.

WOK blah, blah, blah....

There's a reason it's great, and this clip isn't what you think it is. It's an analysis of a scene that's (imo) indicative of the whole movie regarding technique and attention to detail.

https://youtu.be/Vbq9xy8aa0g

Meyer, hands down for the movie side of things.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Timby posted:

Let's please not get into the "keiko's a bitch and miles is whipped lololololol" thing again in this thread. Their relationship was poorly written, and Behr & Co. had a lot of ... issues when it came to writing women.

Honestly I'm not even sure how much of it was the writers' issues and how much of it was the simple fact that the way the Trek episode formula worked, they'd only do much with characters like Keiko when they needed to present a plot obstruction for a main like O'Brien. Especially as a recurring guest.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
keiko's punitive dietary restrictions were really funny though. it's a way to make o'brien suffer that isn't quite so horrible as usual.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MikeJF posted:

Honestly I'm not even sure how much of it was the writers' issues and how much of it was the simple fact that the way the Trek episode formula worked, they'd only do much with characters like Keiko when they needed to present a plot obstruction for a main like O'Brien. Especially as a recurring guest.

I mean, it's more easily pinned on Moore, because you can see his purestrained writing of female characters on Battlestar Galactica and, for the most part, oof. And I get that DS9 was made in a different era of TV, so you have to examine it with a slightly different lens, but looking back in 2022 ... oof. It reminds me a lot of the venom directed towards Skyler White in Breaking Bad ten - thirteen years ago, who so many people hated just because she had the audacity to be actually horrified at her husband becoming a drug lord.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

keiko's punitive dietary restrictions were really funny though. it's a way to make o'brien suffer that isn't quite so horrible as usual.

As someone who's 38 and was diagnosed as diabetic about two weeks ago (long family history, it was inevitable), I kind of chuckle now at bristling at new dietary guidelines, because I feel that pain.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

you know how the ferengi are always all like "huuuuu monnnnnnn feeeeeeee maleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" but what happens if their language isnt the same amount of syllables

like what if the word for 'female' is just one syllable

does the universal translator project extra syllables onto peoples lips or something

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

The UTI makes you hallucinate a language you can understand. It's a brain implant that intercepts incoming perception stimuli and rewrites it before it reaches your consciousness. So yes, it makes you see extra mouth movements.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Timby posted:

I mean, it's more easily pinned on Moore, because you can see his purestrained writing of female characters on Battlestar Galactica and, for the most part, oof. And I get that DS9 was made in a different era of TV, so you have to examine it with a slightly different lens, but looking back in 2022 ... oof.

For me it's not just the relationship dynamics. There's that interview where he pouts about how he thought it was gonna be so cool to "just loving execute" Jadzia and it was going to be "brutal", but mean ol' Rick Berman wouldn't let him do it and insisted that she at least get to take a shot at Dukat, and... the funny thing is, Jadzia didn't fire a shot. She didn't even pull her phaser before she got zapped. But Moore was still so pissy that he got pushback on 'brutally executing' the character that he had to gripe about it, even though he mostly got his way in the end. There's at least one other interview where I remember he sneered about it being too much of a "heroic cliche" for the female character to go down swinging and I thought "...how often did that really happen in the series, though, Ron?"

Behr's not innocent though; that dipshit thinks His Way is the bestest most romantic story told in all of Star Trek :barf:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Your thots to my thots

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Tighclops posted:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Tighclops posted:

So does Riker.

A Very Sexy Baby
Sep 25, 2007

I can't help it if men are attracted to me.

davidspackage posted:

Your thots to my thots

"Doctor, I would like to exchange one one-hundredth of an obsolete currency for your Breen military figure."

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

cauliflower owns

https://twitter.com/realGulDukat/status/1604684464126234624

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Does Spot have a litterbox or does the transporter just move his poo poo to the replicator?

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Animal-Mother posted:

Does Spot have a litterbox or does the transporter just move his poo poo to the replicator?

He probably just shits in the water basin made of weird gel beads

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Animal-Mother posted:

Please do not misgender Spot.

OK, Spot doesn't care, but Data will still process it as a slight, even if he says it doesn't hurt his feelings.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Cthulu Carl posted:

Please do not misgender Spot.

OK, Spot doesn't care, but Data will still process it as a slight, even if he says it doesn't hurt his feelings.

Data misgendered her first

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Endless Trash posted:

Data misgendered her first

Should have pulled a Grosse Pointe Blank: "I respect its privacy."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
Can I get some motivation to watch more Star Trek TOS. I've watched the first two episodes of the first series. Apparently Klingons don't turn up until episode 26! Apparently episode 10 (the corbomite maneuver) is supposed to be pretty good.