Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i think jed has signed drew smyly at least four times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

mcmagic posted:

They still need to dump Gleyber and blow up the offensive side of the team to be any better than last year.

I don’t get the hate for Gleyber. He just put up a career best 4.1WAR season and only just turned 26 a few days ago so it isn’t like he is past his prime. There are also already way too many question marks on the infield. DJ’s foot, Donaldson being cooked, IKF and two unproven rookies? Dumping Gleyber, the team’s best infielder last year, just to get rid of him would be an extremely stupid move.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

mcmagic's *~thing~* is hating Gleyber Torres, specifically. That's all there is to get.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Smyly was solid for us last season. Totally fine with the signing.

Mancini would be an improvement at 1B, but he would only really be a stopgap until Mash Mervis comes up

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

a lot of pressure on a guy who has never taken a major league at-bat, hope wisdom is doing the Scott Hatteberg Drills

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

ihatepants posted:

I don’t get the hate for Gleyber. He just put up a career best 4.1WAR season and only just turned 26 a few days ago so it isn’t like he is past his prime. There are also already way too many question marks on the infield. DJ’s foot, Donaldson being cooked, IKF and two unproven rookies? Dumping Gleyber, the team’s best infielder last year, just to get rid of him would be an extremely stupid move.

Highly inconsistent unreliable player who is a bad defender and an extremely streaky hitter who hasn't gotten much better since he's been in the majors. His good years have been a product of juiced balls and the Orioles' pitching.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

ihatepants posted:

You can't like... say you were wrong about something on the internet. Just gotta double down.

Dumping a dude who was one of the most productive 2B last season to rely entirely on untested rookies and oft injured/past their primes veterans seems like it shouldn't even be a discussion. If there's a trade that makes the team better? Sure. But so many fans are just locked in on Gleyber hate and can't unlock.

rickiep00h posted:

mcmagic's *~thing~* is hating Gleyber Torres, specifically. That's all there is to get.

Its not just mcmagic. Its the entire contingent of "lost decade" "Tony from Newark" "the season was a complete failure" fans.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Yankee fans are obliged to focus all their hate on 2b. Now that Rougned Odor is gone Gleyber has inherited this burden.

Also welcome back Drew Smyly for your 12 stint with the Cubs

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
It's an empty 4.1 WAR because I can point out a part of the season where he was slumping so the rest of the season doesn't count

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Smyly was solid for us last season. Totally fine with the signing.

Mancini would be an improvement at 1B, but he would only really be a stopgap until Mash Mervis comes up

The team needs a 1B and a Dh. Currently, Roster Resource has Rivas and Mervis penciled in for those, but they'd be fools to give Rivas another shot.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Intruder posted:

It's an empty 4.1 WAR because I can point out a part of the season where he was slumping so the rest of the season doesn't count

That's the real fandom. Ignoring all the good parts of the season because they were fake.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I'm confused I thought Gleyber was good enough to be the centerpiece in a package for Juan Soto???

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Popete posted:

Yankee fans are obliged to focus all their hate on 2b. Now that Rougned Odor is gone Gleyber has inherited this burden.

Also welcome back Drew Smyly for your 12 stint with the Cubs

Odor sucked more than Torres. I'll admit that.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Odor barely belongs in AAA never mind being compared to Gleyber, come on

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

tadashi posted:

The team needs a 1B and a Dh. Currently, Roster Resource has Rivas and Mervis penciled in for those, but they'd be fools to give Rivas another shot.

They should honestly consider signing Nelson Cruz to a 1-year deal

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

They should honestly consider signing Nelson Cruz to a 1-year deal

This would be cool, have him and Mervis share the DH spot.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1604582751319064579?t=6icOCX865NEvEh8McH-2Hg&s=19

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Yessssssss

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

gently caress YES. Off-season goals complete! Our lineup is straight sick

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

gently caress yeah

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Still $21m under the cap too

Ok so Mike at two and move Pena to 7 or what

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Ohtani signing with the Astros next year would be the biggest heel move in history and I'd be forced to respect it.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

gently caress yeah I was getting nervous they weren't going to do this.

I'm happy with this offseason - I don't think they need to do anything else. Maybe extend a player or two.

zoux posted:

Still $21m under the cap too

Ok so Mike at two and move Pena to 7 or what

Brantley is 100000% the #2 hitter. Pena is a strong, strong choice at 7.

Altuve - Brantley - Abreu - Alvarez - Bregman - Tucker - Pena lets you go RLRLRLR which is pretty awesome.

Kirios fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 18, 2022

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dusty's probably creaming himself, he hated batting Yordan and Tucker back to back, despite it being an enormous success in those lineups.

Hmmmm, according to this, the contract stipulates we have to start calling him "Uncle Smooth"

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1604610789834366980?s=20&t=RC7bRuk4qveSKgC6zy3mMA

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
gently caress, was hoping the Cubs could snag Turner.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I guess this is the JD Martinez replacement?

I'm increasingly convinced that the Marlins are not going to sign a single MLB FA. Even the Pirates have made some moves, the Marlins have done literally nothing

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

Thanks for the memories JT. I hope he continues to rake.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Santa is real and he’s an Uncle Mike fan

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Post ur favorite Uncle Mike memory here is mine.

https://twitter.com/BLima790/status/1604584545923305473?t=RghOg3-FglGjUthd4Z202w&s=19

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Bah, I wanted Turner.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
So is Conforto just washed and nobody wants to risk signing him? Am i missing something?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Its Rinaldo posted:

So is Conforto just washed and nobody wants to risk signing him? Am i missing something?
He hasn't played in like 2 years so he's almost certainly going to sign a 1 year 'prove it' contract with someone. But I figured he would be one of the last to sign.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Start printing World Series tickets now!!

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Gorman Thomas posted:

Ohtani signing with the Astros next year would be the biggest heel move in history and I'd be forced to respect it.

Nah, Hogan in 96 was still bigger

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Its Rinaldo posted:

Never actually existed. Hypothetical player.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Looking forward to seeing what Brantley can do without the shift

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Its Rinaldo posted:

Missing an entire year after your agent comes out and says you're completely healthy in like May doesn't augur well for your ability to actually be healthy.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

im satisfied

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I'm kind of assuming they're done making moves aside from maybe a lefty for the pen. Leon takes over the Diaz role, they keep some tax room for a midseason trade

I'm sure people want them to bring Yuli back for nostalgia reasons but I can't see a role for him, he's not going to want to play once every five or six games and presumably either Yordan or Brantley are the DH almost every game, hard to imagine resting both on the same day