Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

prayer group posted:

There is absolutely no reason to muddle sugar cubes instead of just using syrup.

And people get mad at me about this one sometimes, but I really don’t think rinsing a glass with absinthe does anything more than just adding a teaspoon or so to the drink itself would do.

I almost posted something very similar. I'm sure none of us would dispute that there's any difference if we're talking about this with the house lights on.

My thing that I learned from fiddling about tonight is that expressing the lemon peel makes a huge difference if you're making the drink for yourself, because you smell the lemon on your own fingers as you drink it. If it's a drink you serve to someone else I bet they'd never have any idea a lemon was involved.

But come on this isn't about science it's about theater

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
I'm not gonna dispute that making cocktails is partially about theater (see previous post about twirling the glass), but the lemon peel garnish is also an integral part of a sazerac just from a flavor perspective. I've literally done a side-by-side with a friend (who didn't see the drinks made) with one saz made without lemon and one with an expressed twist (not dropped in), otherwise identical (I think I literally stirred them together and just portioned it out into two otherwise identically-prepared glasses) and it's night and day. I won't make a sazerac if I don't have a nice, fresh lemon whose peel is still juicy.

E: this is true of any twist garnish imo, the sazerac is just a particularly strong example, where it's key to the balance of the drink for me. Like I think the OF is a worthwhile drink either way, but go express a good orange twist on an otherwise-totally-austere one and tell me you don't taste it.

Scythe fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Dec 19, 2022

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Data Graham posted:

If it's a drink you serve to someone else I bet they'd never have any idea a lemon was involved.

Gonna have to agree to disagree there, sport.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Yeah citrus has a ton of fragrant/flavoursome oil in its skin. It's the same stuff you get from zesting it for cooking or baking.

And you can even see the little oil droplets on top of the cocktail after you express it.

Expressing peel 100% makes a huge difference to a drink.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Toebone posted:

I didn’t know that about ice and sazaracs, I’ll have to try having my next one up.

+1 to the atomizer, they’re cheap and fun

The True And Right Way to drink a sazerac is actually "down", meaning in a (ideally smaller and chilled) rocks glass with no ice. There's also apparently debate on whether the lemon peel should be dropped in the glass or discarded after expressing, so Real Ones know to place it on the edge of the glass so the drinker can make that decision for themselves.

Data Graham posted:

My thing that I learned from fiddling about tonight is that expressing the lemon peel makes a huge difference if you're making the drink for yourself, because you smell the lemon on your own fingers as you drink it. If it's a drink you serve to someone else I bet they'd never have any idea a lemon was involved.

But come on this isn't about science it's about theater

Strong disagree. I'm very methodical about developing drinks at work; in doing so I've often compared a drink with and without a citrus twist and it's very easy to notice a difference.

The effect of the citrus oils being applied to your hands is noticeable though, so when serving a drink in a coupe you might choose to rub the expressed citrus peel on the stem of the glass to maximize it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Bought a tequila loving friend a Cava de Oro reposado. It’s one of those tequilas with no additives

Very nice experience, a lot of fruity/vegetable notes emphasizing that it’s a real plant product

A little too sweet for her though, so I traded her a half drunk patron silver and half drunk tres generaciones añejo for it

I think from now on I’m gonna only get non additive tequilas

Also got my first mezcal out of it, good lord this stuff tastes like chemical solvent

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Dec 19, 2022

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I definitely think some cocktails are hugely affected by a properly expressed citrus peel. Obviously it'll depend on the cocktail, I imagine it's not equally important to all of them. (Particularly any that already incorporate the juice of the citrus.)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Fair points. I think I meant not to say that "expressing a lemon peel does nothing to the drink", but rather "I wonder how much of an effect smelling it on your own fingers has on how important the drink maker imagines the theatrics and rituals to be".

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I think the sazerac needs lemon so much I do mine with lemon saccurum syrup when I have it on hand. Unorthodox I know. Definitely do the peel thing.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Comb Your Beard posted:

I think the sazerac needs lemon so much I do mine with lemon saccurum syrup when I have it on hand. Unorthodox I know. Definitely do the peel thing.

Everyone should give this a shot. It doesn’t drink quite like a sazerac, but it is incredibly tasty.

e: I also like it with 5dash peychauds and 2 ango

The Bandit fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Dec 19, 2022

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I juice citrus using a press instead of a reamer and the expressed oils definitely make a difference, and I have relatively dull tastebuds

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

A+ daiquiri

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I use almost those exact same glasses for daiquiris, and only daiquiris. They just fit so perfectly.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I'm traveling for Christmas and have been asked to make drinks for the family. I have no idea what my in-laws have in their bar, so I need to whip up a menu and shopping list. I can get any citrus and mixers I need, and make syrups, but don't really know what to offer. I'll want bourbon, rye, gin, brandy, creme de cacao, and sparkling wine to make Old Fashioneds, Sazeracs, Mules, French 75s/Tom Collins, and Brandy Alexanders, plus spirit + mixer (whiskey and coke, gin and tonic, etc). Any outstanding holiday cocktails I should add? Maybe a big punch recipe to make it easier on myself? Open to suggestions, especially since my mother in law is going booze shopping before we arrive. Maybe 10 people maximum, but for multiple nights. Low ABV drinks would be nice too, because these people will go hard on whatever is being made.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Has anyone heard of "Aisle A" gin? It was in my partner's spirit advent calendar and I can't find anything about it. I'm not sure if it's a thing and I'm just not finding it, if it's meant to be play on Islay and it's a gin from there? It's smokey, but not overly so.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

I'm traveling for Christmas

Your list seems fairly extensive for a family get-together. If they have (or you bring) tequila, you're a syrup away from a silk stocking which is ny new favorite christmas drink. I've always enjoyed hot mulled wine for sipping at the holidays, especially if you're going somewhere cold, and you'll have the brandy for it. Edit: plus mulled wine is a low skill beverage if you have some helpers to employ.

piL fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Dec 20, 2022

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

I'm traveling for Christmas and have been asked to make drinks for the family. I have no idea what my in-laws have in their bar, so I need to whip up a menu and shopping list. I can get any citrus and mixers I need, and make syrups, but don't really know what to offer. I'll want bourbon, rye, gin, brandy, creme de cacao, and sparkling wine to make Old Fashioneds, Sazeracs, Mules, French 75s/Tom Collins, and Brandy Alexanders, plus spirit + mixer (whiskey and coke, gin and tonic, etc). Any outstanding holiday cocktails I should add? Maybe a big punch recipe to make it easier on myself? Open to suggestions, especially since my mother in law is going booze shopping before we arrive. Maybe 10 people maximum, but for multiple nights. Low ABV drinks would be nice too, because these people will go hard on whatever is being made.

I have two solutions for you, friend. One is a punch that you should serve as a focal point for an evening, and the other is a sangria that can be made in advance and served in swing-top bottles while people socialize and maybe have other drinks as well (such as cocktails, if you'd like to mix them up).

Limmer's Club Gin Punch

This is a light (~8-9% ABV) sparkling punch that everyone loves. It travels very efficiently, and is easy and inexpensive. The only oddball ingredient is orange blossom water, but this can be had at any Indian market, most fancy grocery stores, or from Amazon. Yield is 40 standard drinks, which is perfect as the main/sole drink for ~12-15 people. If you'd like to make a smaller amount, use the base recipe from this post and multiply it to your needs.

Ingredients

1 handle/1.75 l gin (I favor Bombay Dry for mixing, but any classic gin is fine)
6 oz. white sugar
12 oz. orange blossom syrup
18 oz. lemon juice (fresh-squeezed)
6 liters soda water (Jarritos Mineragua is the gold standard, Topo Chico works well; avoid Perrier or other "elegant" sparkling waters, which are too weak)
ice block (~2.5 quarts)

To start with, fill a stainless steel mixing bowl with water and put in the freezer for 48 hours. When it's time to take the ice block out, turn the bowl upside-down and run some water over the bowl. If you don't have time/space/logistics for this, you might be able to buy a a 10 lb block of ice at a supermarket or good gas station convenience store and split it in half. If nothing else, cube ice is acceptable.

A day or two before you serve the punch, peel your lemons, avoiding the white pith as much as possible. Muddle the lemon peels with the sugar and let sit as long as possible. Ideally, leave it overnight in a glass bowl and stir a few times to combine. This is called an "oleo-saccharum". If you're short on time you can just mix the sugar with the lemon juice and express the oils from the peels like you would for a cocktail garnish, but this is a punch that really benefits from a long oleo-saccharum.

While the peels are sitting on the sugar, make up your orange blossom syrup. Combine 12 oz. (by volume) white sugar with 6 oz. water in a sauce pan over as low heat as possible. Once the sugar is fully melted, let cool and then add orange blossom water to taste. I like to start with 1 tsp and work up. It should have a strong floral flavor, but shouldn't get too soapy. I usually end up with 2 tsp and a little change, but make it to your taste.

Mix the lemon juice with the oleo-saccharum until the sugar is fully dissolved (you can add a little bit of water if necessary, but only a little). Strain out the lemon peels, then add the orange blossom syrup. This mixture (the "stock") should fit in a 1 liter bottle. Besides the ice block, this is all you need to prep in advance. Keep your gin in the freezer. To serve the punch, you'll need a 3 liter bowl. Combine the stock and the gin in the bowl, then add in the ice. Slowly pour in the soda water (hopefully refrigerated). Use your ladle to combine, gently ladling over the ice block. Once everything has been well-mixed, serve in small (9 oz.) clear plastic cups, and offer a toast.

Morgenthaler's Sangria

This recipe is even easier than the above. I'm copying it (with very minor variations) from Jeffrey Morgenthaler's wonderful website.

Ingredients

1 750 ml bottle of wine (I like a spicy Tempranillo or Zinfandel)
1 cup fresh-squeezed orange juice
2 tbsp white sugar
6 oz. orange liqueur (Gran Gala is fine)
1-2 tsp Angostura bitters

Basically, just combine everything into a pitcher and stir. I like to keep it in a couple of swing-top bottles and pour it into glasses filled with ice, although it would also work in a pitcher filled with ice. Morgenthaler encourages us to use this as a base for experimentation, but it's such a good recipe that I've made it as-is for years and everyone loves it.

I hope this was helpful! If you're interested in more punches I've posted quite a number in this thread. Start with this post.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

Pander posted:

Wow, just busted it out for a quick taste and it has absolutely changed. The Smith and cross has been very muted, and now cognac jumps out with nutmeg. It's delightful. Still can't find the bourbon, but I'm sure it adds depth somehow.

I made the full sized recipe with the intent of sharing but I've drunk maybe half of it myself over the last few weeks. I've uh, also gained about 5 lbs in the last few weeks.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Yeah citrus has a ton of fragrant/flavoursome oil in its skin. It's the same stuff you get from zesting it for cooking or baking.

And you can even see the little oil droplets on top of the cocktail after you express it.

Expressing peel 100% makes a huge difference to a drink.

I'm on team huge difference, citrus oils are highly aromatic and absolutely change the character of a drink. It's not like hunting for the 'memory of sea foam' that I see sometimes in scotch tasting notes, it's a night-and-day difference.

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.
Just made the 50/50 cognac/rye Sazerac last night and enjoyed the hell out of it.

Btw I took a sip before and after lemon peel and totally agree it was a different drink

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Something I've been drinking that's pretty low ABV: Calvados just an oz, mulling spice bitters (homemade), hot apple cider. Heat the cider by itself in a little pot on the stove, pull it when it starts to barely bubble. Serve in mug. Usually don't like warm alcoholic drinks but it's good.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Hell yeah, I like an applejack toddy. When you're sick, forget chicken soup, take applejack and go to bed.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Try pommeau if you can find it.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Anybody get fancy with olive preparations for a dirty martini? Coming up with a plan that involves Castelvetrano jar brine, lactic acid solution, MSG, shirodashi, strained blended actual olives. The last step is a bitch though. The test batch was not pleasant to strain, I was sick of olives when i was done. And my yield wasn't that high. I know they sell this stuff pre-made. Maybe I should just take the plunge and get some.

Edit: Total Wine had 3 different brands in cheap $5-$6 sizes. Went with 1/2 Barsmith, 1/2 Sable and Rosenfeld Tipsy, skipped the Stirrings I'll use it for something less direct, not as good. And the above stuff. Pleased with it!

Double edit: Someone in Spec's Liquor Store in Texas posted a big rack of Green Chartreuse on a facebook group I'm in.

Comb Your Beard fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 21, 2022

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Chartreuse shortage is real

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
There seems to be plenty in Nebraska, maybe I should start selling it online.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There was none at the store today, first time I've seen it empty. Scored a bottle of yellow though, have not tried it before.

Fortunately the first time I heard rumors I got a backup bottle so I'm good on chartreuse (until next time I see it and buy a second backup (supposedly it improves in the bottle unlike other liquors though, so no harm?))

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Grand Fromage posted:

There was none at the store today, first time I've seen it empty. Scored a bottle of yellow though, have not tried it before.

Fortunately the first time I heard rumors I got a backup bottle so I'm good on chartreuse (until next time I see it and buy a second backup (supposedly it improves in the bottle unlike other liquors though, so no harm?))

Exactly my experience a couple weekends ago. They were out of green (told me they got in 4 bottles, they were gone three days later). But now I've got a yellow!

(now they're out of yellow too)

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I have an extra bottle of St. Germaine if anyone would like to trade for a bottle of Yellow. It was a nice gift but at the rate I will use my first bottle this one is going to gather a few years of dust.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Send me a bottle of St. Germain, pay for both shipping, and give me $60 and I’ll think about it

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

The Maestro posted:

Send me a bottle of St. Germain, pay for both shipping, and give me $60 and I’ll think about it

Sounds like a deal. I'll send it out right now.

Okay, it's in the mailbox, let me know when you get it.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Thanks for reminding me I need to relegate the st Germain from the bar to the liquor cabinet

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I've never been a vermouth guy but I love Carpano Dry. Wow, delicious. Anything similar to it but cheaper? I'm gonna try the bianco too I think. I picked up Rivata Dry at Total Wine but it wasn't as good. Thankfully really cheap dry vermouth makes good white cooking wine.

Comb Your Beard fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 23, 2022

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

There's a whole bunch of little shops now making craft vermouth stateside - multiple in NYC, a bunch in Cali, a scattering of them elsewhere. See if you can pick up a half bottle of something local for a reasonable price and go from there. Sorry if I can't be more helpful, but Carpano is so much a middle of the road, tastes like vermouth vermouth I don't know where specifically to point ya.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Comb Your Beard posted:

Castelvetrano jar brine

No idea what this is but build a drink around it and call it the Simon Belmont.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Comb Your Beard posted:

I've never been a vermouth guy but I love Carpano Dry. Wow, delicious. Anything similar to it but cheaper? I'm gonna try the bianco too I think. I picked up Rivata Dry at Total Wine but it wasn't as good. Thankfully really cheap dry vermouth makes good white cooking wine.

What other dry vermouths have you already had?

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Not a lot, Dolin Bianco many years ago, I was meh. I've heard Noily Prat is underrated for the price. Afore mentioned cooking wine.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Anyone else here ever tried De Muller vermouth? I really liked their Iris Blanco when I tried a bottle a while back.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

It's a bit of work, but also very much within the realm of possibility to make your own vermouth (or amaro) to taste. Gentian and angelica are probably the only rare ingredients you need (maybe a little wormwood too). But very findable online or at hippie supplement shops.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I had this once years ago at a restaurant that is now closed and now I can’t find it

It was really, really good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Is Cruzan considered a decent rum? I've heard good things about their black strap but a friend got me a bottle of the Aged Dark that I haven't tried yet.