Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
I found some giant tortoises and sent my militia to kill them, how do I actually harvest the meat? Is it better to try and trap them with cage traps to make a meat farm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

It seems extremely hit-and-miss what combat kills can be butchered for meat and what are just left to rot in the corpse pile.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Someone mentioned earlier that you can send your military to demand tribute to make contact with uncontacted civs and to get them sending caravans to you. I just sent my military out to demand tribute from 5 different civilizations, and each time they came back with simply a notification saying they came back, and those other civs are still marked as uncontacted on the map. Was something else supposed to happen?

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
You generally can only cook meat you get when you butcher an animal. Things may have changed and I know you can get forgotten beast organs (somehow) to cook so I'm not sure exactly where the line is.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

deep dish peat moss posted:

Ral Togallolok was meant to be my sacrificial magma miner who would most likely die while opening up the magma channel in the forges. She caught fire as always happens, but something's different this time. Nearly a season later she's casually strolling around the fortress, not only on fire, but carrying an adjacent tile of fire everywhere she goes.

Her name flashes red and yellow as if she's burning, but she has no Wounds or Health Problems and seems fine with it.

Have you turned off temperature in the settings? For most of the game it doesn't matter, and is a good performance-boost, but it breaks magma and fire so it doesn't do any damage anymore.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Dec 19, 2022

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Nope, she ended up burning to death a year later and her kids have been traumatized ever since :(

I finally found a solution to the elf problem and that's making stone bins full of lead coins I can make to "gift" to them every time they show up. Just weighing them down making them carry a bunch of poisonous junk.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Dec 19, 2022

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

nielsm posted:

It seems extremely hit-and-miss what combat kills can be butchered for meat and what are just left to rot in the corpse pile.

From my experience that seems to mostly be the "ignore outdoor refuse" order being more extensive than you expect it to be.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Man, giant cave spiders are no joke. One of them killed 3 of my best militia through masterwork steel helmets + armor.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

You can get revenge on the elves for their mercantile pettiness by placing lots of cheap metal animal traps and ransoming the live animals to them every time they send a caravan.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Is there a way to get more traders peacefully (I have made a messenger but not sure what they do) pity I haven't seen a caravan in years after the last lot got disrupted by vultures so often they packed up as soon as they unpacked and left in a huff and complained I had wasted their time. (you spent half a year up a tree my dude who's wasting who's time?)

Should I just smooth out a big chunk of land around the entrance and make a proper castle entrance so the wildlife can't go near it or does that not help with birds. The tradepost is covered but that doesn't seem to stop the birds hassling people from half a map away.

Oh also I noticed that the king was fighting and went to see what was going on there. Dude was on his own on the stairs. Best I can tell he tripped and fell down a few flights. Laughed pretty hard at the idea but is that a thing? I did once see a trader fall into a divot in the land and spear himself in the leg though, so maybe it can.

Macdoo
Jul 24, 2012

Bad Tabletop Opinions Haver
The Fall of Gildsummer
1: The Arrival of Utesh
In the winter of 104, the burgeoning dwarven metropolis of Oritarisran (Gildsummer in the common tongue) began its war campaign against the last holdout of The Fatal Trades, a fading dwarven clutch of traitors and liars, deadset on ignoring the sovereignty of The Bridge of Waxing.

As if sensing Gildsummer's boldest warriors were indisposed, the cowardly beast Utesh Diedfated, The Shaft of Nights made its appearance in the caverns beneath the fortress. An enormous, slavering, bristleworm. It alights upon its clear insectoid wings and patrols its new home.

It clears the cavern. First of pond grabbers, then troglodytes, then fearsome cave trolls - undisturbed since time began. It latches its fetid jaws around their heads and tears them apart with fevered shaking, leaving the caverns a mottle of viscera and gore. Finally, after working up its courage, it descends upon a lone woodsdwarf - gathering fungal logs on an outcropping.

Utesh circles at the unfamiliar quarry, testing its instincts and judging its scent. The dwarf, in a panic, sprints away from the beast, only to find himself in a dead end. Utesh gives chase, and in an instant has ripped the new prey limb from limb.

Utesh must have found the taste pleasant. Or the chase rewarding. Or the loss of life somehow gratifying - as it took no time in locating more of the same scent and swooping up a narrow gap in the cavern roof. To the unwary dwarves above this was a waterwell - where they had gathered to investigate the strange noises below - but to the craven beast this was nought but an ambush point. In a flurry of joints and teeth it snatched at the dwarves. Seven in all - adults and children - were dragged into the well and cast down to the cavern waters below. Swiftly meeting their demise as they collided against the cave walls.

Thankfully by now the militia had returned. Forty axedwarves and twenty crossbowmen in all. Their retreat rushed and their spirits weak - they arrived to the fortress tired and ill equipped. Regardless, the cowardly beast retreats to the caverns, fearing a true fight. It skulks and lurks, as its wounds seal over.

2: The Cave of Heads
A week has passed. Utesh stalks the darkness below, seemingly lost in the maze of the upper caverns. Gildsummer decides that this is the time to strike. Its militia regroup and station themselves in the cave halls. Their clattering draws the beast as planned, and the battle begins.

Within seconds, one poor recruit's head has been ripped clean off her shoulders. An axedwarf and marksman follow up. The axedwarf parries the beast's writhing head, as the marksman peppers it with bolts. They bounce off its thick hide ineffectually. Enraged, the beast twists - knocking the marksman with its wing, lacerating the dwarf against the cavern walls.

Unfortunately for Utesh, this axedwarf is none other than Lokum Osubmusar, Giant Killer. Lokum led the daring attack on the giant Largeknight the Impervious half a decade before, and felled the fool like a simple tree.

Lokum leads their axedwarves ably. They surround the beast - hacking at it with a flurry of blows. The strikes do little against the fiend's hide, but the dwarves persist. Finally, Lokum finds her opening, and cleaves the beast's left wing from its thorax in a single swing. A pool of pearlescent ichor leaks from the appendage and the cave floor is slick.

In the glorious throes of combat, Lokum's second in command Dastot Uzlirnomal bites onto the beast's right wing to steady himself and latches on tight. He strikes with his fist and shield at Utesh, holding the wing in place for Lokum to hack at the joint. The strikes cut - but not deeply enough.

Dastot later earns the title Wingtooth for his bravery.

Utesh whips around, flailing after Lokum. A second nearby marksman's hand is caught by the beast's jaw - and snaps at the wrist from the force of the thing. Recruits pile on, striking fiercely - and they fall left and right as Utesh snaps at them. Wingtooth and Giant Killer persist. Striking at the beast's other wing.

The reinforcements - seemingly content to wait for the fight to come to them - finally join the fray. A swordsdwarf is knocked flying, and has his head bitten off as he recovers - but Utesh is weak now, tired from the fight. A second swordsdwarf and his cat join the fight. The cat scratches and bites at the beast, and Utesh is all but powerless to fight off even this feline foe as it is lanced again and again by the brave dwarves. It collapses to the ground, dead.

The militia captain, who turns up at this point and claims the kill with a bone bolt to the head of the dying beast - is reprimanded and loses her position for cowardice. Wingtooth takes the title. The cat receives the title Uteshbane for her contribution.

For now, at least, Gildsummer lives on!

Macdoo fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Dec 19, 2022

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Tambaloneus posted:

Is there a way to get more traders peacefully (I have made a messenger but not sure what they do) pity I haven't seen a caravan in years after the last lot got disrupted by vultures so often they packed up as soon as they unpacked and left in a huff and complained I had wasted their time. (you spent half a year up a tree my dude who's wasting who's time?)

Should I just smooth out a big chunk of land around the entrance and make a proper castle entrance so the wildlife can't go near it or does that not help with birds. The tradepost is covered but that doesn't seem to stop the birds hassling people from half a map away.

Oh also I noticed that the king was fighting and went to see what was going on there. Dude was on his own on the stairs. Best I can tell he tripped and fell down a few flights. Laughed pretty hard at the idea but is that a thing? I did once see a trader fall into a divot in the land and spear himself in the leg though, so maybe it can.

Send a military squad with at least a single dwarf on a mission from the world map to Demand One-Time Tribute from any nearby uncontacted civilization. This is "peaceful" and doesn't start a war. It takes a while after that but they'll eventually start sending caravans.

e: If I deny a bard residency, can I change my mind and invite them? I didn't realize that this bard was a kangaroo man until a full year after I denied residency and I'm seriously bummed about it.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Dec 19, 2022

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Are there ambushes for travelers like RimWorld, or will they generally just go and come back?

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Azhais posted:

Are there ambushes for travelers like RimWorld, or will they generally just go and come back?

In the old version I lost a squad while travelling back from a successful mission. Whether or not that was a bug, idk.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

ok I know people were having trouble with marksmanship training earlier in the thread, I just figured it out, it's actually pretty simple to set up.

1) Create and equip a squad. When you make a barracks for them, do not set them to train in the barracks zone.
2) Build some archery training targets, either in that barracks or in a separate room. This is mine:

3) Create a new Archery Range zone and select the archery targets + some (?) space away for dwarves to shoot from. In old DwarfFort you apparently needed a separate archery zone for each target but that's not the case here, one big zone works.

4) Click the archery zone and look at the zone settings in the top left. Make sure to set the crossbow to point in the direction you want them to shoot. Then click the banner and choose the squad you want to train there.

5) Either schedule training or give a training order.

6) Possibly need to make an ammo stockpile in that archery range zone? Not sure if that's necessary but I did it anyway. Also no the chests are not necessary, they are not in use.

That's all you've gotta do. Just make sure you do NOT tag the Training option in that squad's Barracks zone. Barracks Zone training is melee training. Archery Range training is archery training.

edit: I think chests in the barracks room may be necessary though, my archers keep their quivers there.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Dec 19, 2022

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Is the water so all the arrows wash to one end?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

mst4k posted:

Some dwarf threw a tantrum for some reason and perhaps became the first vampire in the world?

I probably want to expel this guy right? He's just going to mysteriously start killing my residents right?

My fort just became the civilization capital and I have 233 residents, I'm making all kinds of stuff down in the caverns and building a massive pump stack / power plant (ty starkravingmad for posting your projects) and a minecart circuit that goes like 60 z levels up and down.

Vampires have a lot of quirks that make them very good, arguably the best dwarves, to be honest. They generally kill one dwarf every season or so (may be even less often than that) and in exchange for that they don't ever need to eat, drink, or sleep and don't really have problems with unhappiness. They don't actually get anything out of feeding, so you don't even have to tolerate them killing your dwarves, if you can find a way to separate them from your population they can do no harm and will be loyal citizens forever. Their stats are also a lot better.

Lastly, anyone who drinks their blood will become a vampire, there are ways to exploit this! if you can get everyone in your fortress infected with vampirism, it is only upsides. if there aren't any valid targets to feed on, nobody dies and all the vampires carry on with their business because they don't actually need to eat

If anyone is curious: The simplest way to do this is to set up a 1x1 room with a retracted spears trap attached to a lever, with a couple of tiles above it channeled out. You set up a burrow inside and assign the vampire to the burrow. Then you wall the vampire up in the 1x1 room. (Or a little bigger if you have a bigger population, I think up to a 3x3 is fine) Then you mark it as a pit a couple of z-levels above, and fill it with enough water to mostly fill the tile the vampire is in. Then you pull the lever once or twice, activating the spear trap so the vampire bleeds into the water. Build a well above the pit and set it as your water source and then forbid all alcohol in the fort. Everyone will be a vampire within a season. If you're not too aggressive with the lever, you might even be able to save the original vampire by draining the well.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Dec 19, 2022

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Azhais posted:

Is the water so all the arrows wash to one end?

There's no water there, just a channel. When a (missed) arrow falls to a different z-level than it was shot from, it's not destroyed. The channel preserves your ammo.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Would an all-vampire fortress still suffer from the Vampires occasionally target each other to attempt to drink blood, or are they happy just never feeding once vampire conversion is 100% complate?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Slashrat posted:

Would an all-vampire fortress still suffer from the Vampires occasionally target each other to attempt to drink blood, or are they happy just never feeding once vampire conversion is 100% complate?

IIRC, vampires don't target vampires; The only ones at risk would be visitors

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Can you still just entomb your vampires in spectacular offices and make them eternal bookkeepers?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Dec 19, 2022

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

the acquire object need pisses me off so loving badly

apparently it only applies to items that dwarves choose to take for themselves when transporting them from a workshop to a stockpile

and only in those circumstances

dude standing around in gleaming full steel plate armor and a masterwork sword i had custom built for him and he's like "GEE WHIZ I SURE WISH I COULD ACQUIRE SOMETHING NEW"

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
I had a troupe of goblins join my fort but they kept getting mad about being naked despite me making a bunch of robes. I had way too many entertainers drinking all my booze anyway so I started banishing the unhappy naked goblins. There's one I can't banish though, because they are nobility. They're probably going to get even madder now that I have banished the rest of their troupe. Should I make them a special bedroom right next to my magma channel?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Excuse me what meat?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Mirthless posted:

the acquire object need pisses me off so loving badly

If the Dwarven Economy was still a thing, at least they could purchase some stuff. Maybe.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Macdoo posted:

For now, at least, Gildsummer lives on!

amazing! I love the detail of the cat joining in. I can only imagine it hugging the beast and going kick-kick-kick furiously with its back legs, as cats do

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I love reading all these dorf stories, but I don't get how you can follow along with what's going on when it's happening. I had my first ambush of dirty elves, so I threw together a squad of 10 and had them march out to kill some bowmen. In pretty much a blink of an eye, all the ambushers were dead and my squad was back inside doing whatever. Am I running the game too fast or is that how you normally play? My FPS counter says 144 (35), I'm not sure which counter is which when it comes to game ticks?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

A lot of it is reconstruction from the combat log, though keyboard shortcuts to slow things down exist.

Macdoo
Jul 24, 2012

Bad Tabletop Opinions Haver

Fhqwhgads posted:

I love reading all these dorf stories, but I don't get how you can follow along with what's going on when it's happening.

For me: just a lot of pausing, writing as I went and some creative applications of cause and effect based off the combat log.

Also I found out with the dwarf nickname feature you can set their job name too, which will show up in combat logs so you can differentiate between "The Axedwarf", "The Axedwarf" and "The Axedwarf". This is how I've been setting titles.

Macdoo fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Dec 19, 2022

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

deep dish peat moss posted:

Someone mentioned earlier that you can send your military to demand tribute to make contact with uncontacted civs and to get them sending caravans to you. I just sent my military out to demand tribute from 5 different civilizations, and each time they came back with simply a notification saying they came back, and those other civs are still marked as uncontacted on the map. Was something else supposed to happen?

each individual site mouseover is still going to show "no contact" on the world map, but they should be on the Civilizations list now

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

If you pay attention you can sometimes see things you should stop and look at. Such as, idk, seeing one of your dwarves go up to a megabeast and then fly back five tiles in a shower of blood.

Somehow that guy survived, which is surprising because that was a LOT of blood.

E. Glad to inspire a thread title

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Dec 19, 2022

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Dumb question, does a tavern have to have a food/drink stockpile inside its zone designation? Or can I just put a stockpile a floor under/above it with stairs access?

VideoWitch posted:

Has to be in its zone designation iirc

I have my drink stockpile near my tavern but not actually inside it and the tavern seems to be functioning - gets a ton of visitors, etc. But also the interface rarely tells you when things aren't set up right so :shrug:

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

Gnoman posted:

A lot of it is reconstruction from the combat log, though keyboard shortcuts to slow things down exist.

Do they? I thought they'd been removed, like the '.' to step time that I miss so much. Are there others?

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

After repeated rodent person attacks, Furnaceceiling's time has come. I only ever intended it as a "let's relearn DF and learn the new systems" fort, but I guess I have decent enough DF instincts that it surpassed that.

But now the tantrum spiraling is starting and I don't know if I can stop it. Especially not if I keep getting attacked. My Captain of the Guard kicked it off by attacking several dwarves in the workshop area and toppling some workshops. Now a gelder and some children are joining him.

Here's my cavern entrance after leaving the dorfs plenty of time to do cleanup:

My cavern access has generally been very poorly managed ("whatever I'm not gonna keep this fort long"), and, well, I'm reaping what I sowed.

The steam release is great, y'all.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Mirthless posted:

Vampires have a lot of quirks that make them very good, arguably the best dwarves, to be honest. They generally kill one dwarf every season or so (may be even less often than that) and in exchange for that they don't ever need to eat, drink, or sleep and don't really have problems with unhappiness. They don't actually get anything out of feeding, so you don't even have to tolerate them killing your dwarves, if you can find a way to separate them from your population they can do no harm and will be loyal citizens forever. Their stats are also a lot better.

Lastly, anyone who drinks their blood will become a vampire, there are ways to exploit this! if you can get everyone in your fortress infected with vampirism, it is only upsides. if there aren't any valid targets to feed on, nobody dies and all the vampires carry on with their business because they don't actually need to eat

If anyone is curious: The simplest way to do this is to set up a 1x1 room with a retracted spears trap attached to a lever, with a couple of tiles above it channeled out. You set up a burrow inside and assign the vampire to the burrow. Then you wall the vampire up in the 1x1 room. (Or a little bigger if you have a bigger population, I think up to a 3x3 is fine) Then you mark it as a pit a couple of z-levels above, and fill it with enough water to mostly fill the tile the vampire is in. Then you pull the lever once or twice, activating the spear trap so the vampire bleeds into the water. Build a well above the pit and set it as your water source and then forbid all alcohol in the fort. Everyone will be a vampire within a season. If you're not too aggressive with the lever, you might even be able to save the original vampire by draining the well.

this post was made by a vampire

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Classic dorf logic

1.) bleed a vampire into our well
2.) we all drink the bloodwater
3.) we all become vampires
4.) there is no downside

This stupid-rear end game never fails to serve up distilled insanity

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
There's a forgotten web-spitting lizard made of glass in the lower caverns that has currently killed 80+ of the inhabitants there with a single kick to the head each.
There's heads everywhere, and every day I'm spammed by messages of the beasts latest victims.

Kinda tempted to open up and take him out, since glass beasts are easy to kill, but web spitters are the worst to fight, and I'd probably lose some militia in the process.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

There's a forgotten web-spitting lizard made of glass in the lower caverns that has currently killed 80+ of the inhabitants there with a single kick to the head each.
There's heads everywhere, and every day I'm spammed by messages of the beasts latest victims.

Kinda tempted to open up and take him out, since glass beasts are easy to kill, but web spitters are the worst to fight, and I'd probably lose some militia in the process.

Set up a ballista hallway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
re: Acquiring objects, I've put a giant stockpile down for finished goods and temporarily put most of the fort on hauling duty, then I ordered up a whole bunch of bone crafts including totems in addition to iron figurines, scepters plus crowns for good measure (I had also been having torn clothing issues) and I've been slowly seeing dwarves with the acquired an object happy thought. Just keep shuffling the objects around and I guess slowly remove people from hauling until eventually you've taken care of everyone.

As an aside the wiki section on keeping dwarves happy implies that the acquired an object need might not end up being super crucial to a dwarf's long term happiness since it didn't often factor into the memories they chose to retain and revisit at later periods.