Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Indiana_Krom posted:

Very nice, but are those Pirelli's all season or winter? If they are just summer tires, you probably want to get off of them as quickly as possible and get some winter tires on there as summer tires are straight up unsafe below 40F (4C).

This is good advice. Thank you. They are P Zero summer tires. A set of winter tires is in the plan, but I haven’t settled on which ones to get yet. It’s not massively urgent since this isn’t our only car, but I’m also not planning to leave it in the garage all winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Enjoy your overclocked iPad

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Yeah, it is the dumbest thing that they will sell this insane performance car in North America with summer tires on it even in winter. Although not just Tesla does that, plenty of other car companies will also do it and it is stupid no matter what brand it is.

That is the primary reason why I went through so much effort to get my model 3 performance with 18" wheels when it was still possible. 18" aero wheels come from the factory with acceptable all-weather tires, are more efficient so you get longer range, and ultimately have more options for tires (being lighter and faster doesn't hurt either). Although I now have a second set of aero wheels with actual snow tires that are excellent in the cold and worth every penny.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Polestar does the same thing with their performance models. Some people might prefer that but when I bought my Polestar 2 last December it was definitely something I went out of my way to check on to make sure I wouldn't be driving 2 hours back home in sub-freezing weather on hockey pucks.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Loucks posted:

New car day.

There is a nonzero possibility that I will burn to death trapped inside this thing, but in the meantime it’s an extremely fun toy. Either the 3P gets different interior bits or they’ve made a lot of improvements since we leased a 3LR.

Congrats! Black always looks so great when it’s clean but I’m way too lazy for it. My last black car was a 2012 Camry and I vowed I will never own another black car as a daily. Maybe if it’s a weekend toy.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Indiana_Krom posted:

Yeah, it is the dumbest thing that they will sell this insane performance car in North America with summer tires on it even in winter. Although not just Tesla does that, plenty of other car companies will also do it and it is stupid no matter what brand it is.

That is the primary reason why I went through so much effort to get my model 3 performance with 18" wheels when it was still possible. 18" aero wheels come from the factory with acceptable all-weather tires, are more efficient so you get longer range, and ultimately have more options for tires (being lighter and faster doesn't hurt either). Although I now have a second set of aero wheels with actual snow tires that are excellent in the cold and worth every penny.

So really you’d probably be better off with summers and snows instead of all seasons and snows

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

bird with big dick posted:

So really you’d probably be better off with summers and snows instead of all seasons and snows

I don't think it would actually make that much difference, all-weather tires are basically summer tires that don't turn into hockey pucks in the cold, they work in the snow and some of them actually aren't even that bad at it, but in summer they are 99% as good as a dedicated summer tire. I may fish around for some all-weathers that are a little more tuned for warm weather/rain when these existing ones wear out, but I probably won't go for a summer exclusive tire just because the weather can swing between extremes here quite quickly in the spring and fall so it would make it too much of a pain to time the swap properly. Winter tires just have that extra edge in stopping power and grip that is worth it if you are in a place that gets frequent snow like where I am. If you only get snow a few times a season, just get all-weather tires and call it good.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I did the summer/winter thing when I was driving a WRX in Colorado but all seasons have been fine since I moved back to VA. If there's a snowstorm expected I just take the truck with AT tires.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

cruft posted:

Yeah, being able to charge at over 30kW is pretty important. I wouldn't want to use the Bolt for the road trips we've done in the Tesla.

The Bolt is a great car. Just... not for long distances.

It's a pretty good example of GM doing GM things, how do you make a car that DCFCs at less than 1C, and also can't ever reach its advertised charging rate for some reason?

This is after over 100 freeway miles, so while it was chilly out the battery should've been decently warm.

The Leaf can charge faster than this with an ice cold battery (that is less than half the size) ffs.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Elviscat posted:

The Leaf can charge faster than this with an ice cold battery (that is less than half the size) ffs.

Ha not mine any more, lucky to see double digits on a 50kW charger these days

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Tiny Timbs posted:

I did the summer/winter thing when I was driving a WRX in Colorado but all seasons have been fine since I moved back to VA. If there's a snowstorm expected I just take the truck with AT tires.

Oh, i just use the same tires, but if there is snow i drive a different vehicle.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
In case eurogoons were wondering how the BEV jeep avenger is faring, the launch allotment vaporized in days. If you are quick, you can still fetch what the dealers got for demo/basic allocation, with delivery estimated for feb 2023, otherwise hard lol on getting one within H1 23.
if the dealer doesn't hardball me, I might get in on the fun in feb

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
So Biden's 7500 credit goes into effect in... January? In time for the new Prius???

Knocking 7500 off the price directly instead of through Tax Credits is going to be so useful.

The 4k credit for used EVs is good too

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

LRADIKAL posted:

Oh, i just use the same tires, but if there is snow i drive a different vehicle.

VA gets snowstorms like that maybe two times a year. I think I took the truck to work one time.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

So Biden's 7500 credit goes into effect in... January? In time for the new Prius???

Knocking 7500 off the price directly instead of through Tax Credits is going to be so useful.

The 4k credit for used EVs is good too

Is the new Prius assembled in NA with batteries that are sourced from qualifying countries? Does anyone even know which models are likely to qualify for the credit yet?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

lol Toyota

https://www.wsj.com/articles/toyota-president-says-silent-majority-has-doubts-about-pursuing-only-evs-11671372223

quote:

Toyota Chief Says ‘Silent Majority’ Has Doubts About Pursuing Only EVs

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I don't think anyone at Toyota actually believes that. They're just terrified of the Osborne effect

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

"The Silent Majority wants Hydrogen. They're just out of frame, demanding hydrogen, and an end to EVs."

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Has anyone that is not a giant rear end in a top hat ever invoked the silent majority?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

The more :lol: are the people who think that the only types of cars that should be sold in 10-15 years are EVs. There is 0 chance of this happening.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Russian Bear posted:

The more :lol: are the people who think that the only types of cars that should be sold in 10-15 years are EVs. There is 0 chance of this happening.
Post/username synergy :v:

I think it's plausible if you include PHEV as "an EV"

At a certain point there would be something of a death spiral for fuel supply in a lot of areas.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Russian Bear posted:

100% this. It is impossible to replace every ICE vehicle currently on the road 1-to-1 with an EV, and to try (or to stake all of the future on the idea that this is going to happen) is an environmental nightmare.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

We definitely won't fully replace ICE vehicle sales in my lifetime

But there's a good chance that >90% of new personal vehicles will be EV by the end of my lifetime. At the rate things are going, that seems likely. There will always be holdouts and cases where ICE makes more sense, but a lot of the barriers that exist now are quickly shrinking or disappearing

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

QuarkJets posted:

We definitely won't fully replace ICE vehicle sales in my lifetime

But there's a good chance that >90% of new personal vehicles will be EV by the end of my lifetime. At the rate things are going, that seems likely. There will always be holdouts and cases where ICE makes more sense, but a lot of the barriers that exist now are quickly shrinking or disappearing

I would say the next 10 years, 90% of luxury cars are EVs and I think the idea of what a luxury car is will kind of shift to be thought of as an EV.

EVs are just easier to built for automakers and their platforms lend themselves to be easily reused for more cars. Just in general fit and finish on new cars has gone up so quickly to match the pricing and crossover craze.

I know Ford has caught a lot of flack for the Mustang, but I think they are right, the Mustang is now a near/luxury SUV EV, that's where the market is for people that have $50-$70k to spend on a car right now, what other brand where they going to use that had any design language they could pull from?

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Tesla-haters will enjoy this: I just said gently caress it and ordered the 20” winter wheelset from Tesla. I scheduled an appointment to have them installed midweek. This morning I got a notification that the appointment was pushed back two weeks, so after I need them to visit family over Xmas. Seemed weird, so I called the parts department and was told that they order the wheelset on our behalf and they currently have over twenty people who have been waiting for the same wheelset since November. No indication that the set wasn’t in stock and available in the app or any notifications. Absolute clownshow.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Any reason against buying non-Tesla wheels?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Three Olives posted:

EVs are just easier to built for automakers

I don’t know that the evidence bears that out

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
wait why would you not just like go to a real tire store

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Ok Comboomer posted:

I don’t know that the evidence bears that out

they are easier to manufacture already and this is despite 100+ years of ICE production optimization vs like... 10 years of optimization for EVs

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

It seems that the big car makers may have looked at what Tesla did and taken some of the details but are doing it, like, "not badly." EVs are mechanically simpler so you would think dollars to dimes it would be simpler and cheaper to build them.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Ok Comboomer posted:

100% this. It is impossible to replace every ICE vehicle currently on the road 1-to-1 with an EV, and to try (or to stake all of the future on the idea that this is going to happen) is an environmental nightmare.
Good thing nobody is doing that, then!

Came across an article on a new Vietnamese EV called VinFast VF8:

https://jalopnik.com/vinfast-vf8-electric-car-first-drive-not-ready-for-u-s-1849892217

Seems like it's definitely underbaked and too expensive for what it's offering but it's pretty fascinating nevertheless

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

mobby_6kl posted:

Came across an article on a new Vietnamese EV called VinFast VF8:

https://jalopnik.com/vinfast-vf8-electric-car-first-drive-not-ready-for-u-s-1849892217

Seems like it's definitely underbaked and too expensive for what it's offering but it's pretty fascinating nevertheless

That article is a fun read. The company tried really hard to keep any of the journalists from seeing anything that wasn't 100% perfect and curated (and then still managed to show off how lovely the cars appear to be).

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Good thing nobody is doing that, then!

It would appear that there are at least a few people in this thread who seem to believe that this is how it will happen.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

WhiteHowler posted:

That article is a fun read. The company tried really hard to keep any of the journalists from seeing anything that wasn't 100% perfect and curated (and then still managed to show off how lovely the cars appear to be).

Unsurprisingly, youtube channels like fully charged did nothing but hype vinfast as the next best thing in ev cars.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Hi, you might remember me as the idiot who bought a hydrogen fuel cell Nexo last year. I just wanted to mention that I spent four hours in line waiting to fill up last week because to of the three stations in Sacramento are busted and the third can only fill three cars an hour. Thank you, God Bless and Happy Holidays!

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Loucks posted:

Tesla-haters will enjoy this: I just said gently caress it and ordered the 20” winter wheelset from Tesla. I scheduled an appointment to have them installed midweek. This morning I got a notification that the appointment was pushed back two weeks, so after I need them to visit family over Xmas. Seemed weird, so I called the parts department and was told that they order the wheelset on our behalf and they currently have over twenty people who have been waiting for the same wheelset since November. No indication that the set wasn’t in stock and available in the app or any notifications. Absolute clownshow.

I did the same thing with the 19" winter package before Thanksgiving, and it was super-easy. They actually got me work done in about half an hour, and now my summer/all-seasons are sitting safely in the storeroom beside my garage. Good luck getting yours in in a reasonable time!

Why did I do that versus piecemealing them together? Convenience. Picking out new wheels, finding the right tires to fit them, then finding a local place to install them vs "push butan get tires" made a lot of the choice for me. I'm at a point in my life where I have the money to buy out some complexity and get time back, so I'm gonna do that. :shrug: In spring, I can schedule a mobile service appointment for them to come out and switch out the tires. No loading up my summer tires, dragging them to a shop, waiting in a lobby, then wrangling the winters back into storage. ~$75 means it happens in my driveway while I'm on a meeting.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Any reason against buying non-Tesla wheels?

Nope. I was trying to pay for convenience. Despite their reputation I’ve had very good experiences with Tesla. This is the first time rungs have fallen apart like this. I’m genuinely surprised they appear to have zero concern for customer experience. Must just rely on the musk/Tesla fandom to drive sales or something.

Not even sure what alternate wheels work with the performance brakes, but I’m sure I can find something. Between tsportline and tmc I’m sure there’s a decent alternative for ~2/3 the money I was ready to hand Tesla.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Vinfast is weird, they seem to be trying to go the kia/hyundai route but skipping over the cheap entry car phase or even the excellent value phase and trying to go straight for upscale phase with what sounds like a terrible product. They should have started with some bottom end budget models to compete with the Leaf/Bolt first!

The VF9 is astoundingly expensive in Canada, like into the realm of Volvo/BMW expensive. It's really baffling.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Buy some 18” from T Sportline and take them to discount tire or Costco for some blizzaks or X-ice. The pay 2 convenience in this case is probably thousands of dollars an hour and is likely resulting in you getting shittier wheels and tires.

e: get some TPMS either from tesla or eBay.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Loucks posted:

Nope. I was trying to pay for convenience. Despite their reputation I’ve had very good experiences with Tesla. This is the first time rungs have fallen apart like this. I’m genuinely surprised they appear to have zero concern for customer experience. Must just rely on the musk/Tesla fandom to drive sales or something.

Not even sure what alternate wheels work with the performance brakes, but I’m sure I can find something. Between tsportline and tmc I’m sure there’s a decent alternative for ~2/3 the money I was ready to hand Tesla.

Honestly you should just get some 18" wheels for both your summer and winter tires, because the Tesla 20" wheels are expensive and generally crap that should have never been an option. The larger performance brakes are a joke and overheat just as quickly as the smaller standard brakes, the wheels look nice but are just plain bad at actually being a wheel on an EV, they are big, heavy, inefficient, expensive, easy to break, have worse ride quality for daily use, and require equally expensive tires. There are several third party options for 18" wheels that fit over the performance brakes and are basically superior in every way at actually doing the job of a wheel, the only potential downside is how it looks which is entirely subjective and you can probably find something that you like better than the ubertubrines if you look around enough.