Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Major Isoor posted:

Oh, interesting! Seems like a stealthy take on TWoM - I might need to check it out. Thanks!

W-what do you mean a "stealthy take", were you not sneaking past people in TWoM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Arven posted:

I'm not sure if it's ever been mentioned in this thread, but the Fallout 3 Frost overhaul is a survival mod that has STALKER vibes. It takes place during the nuclear winter after the bombs fell, and pretty much the entire gameplay loop is budgeting your bullets to get yourself enough food and water while trying to keep your radiation exposure beyond lethal levels.

That seems extremely my jam, will have to check that out at some point.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Jawnycat posted:

the G.A.M.M.A pack for S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Something about this really rubbed me the wrong way, and I couldn't keep up. I guess part of it was the economy, using even the most basic meds cost so much cash that a fight you had to heal a couple times in ended up being a net negative even if you wiped the floor with your foes. Enemy drops were wildly nerfed, everyone's guns and armors were in unusable condition despite working well for them. Magic durability damage on death, I guess. And the repair system was ridiculously punitive, even for someone who'd played Anomaly in the past. It felt like it went so far past realism and just wanted to be as arduous and punishing as possible, but not in ways that were even fun to play.
Also the "temporary health" to permanent health system was pretty bad, a reliance on expensive meds slows the game down significantly when even affording them is prohibitive early on.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

CuddleCryptid posted:

W-what do you mean a "stealthy take", were you not sneaking past people in TWoM

hahaha fair point! TBH despite owning it I haven't actually played TWoM yet, I'm ashamed to admit. But yeah you're right, there's definitely an element of staying undetected in that, which I overlooked! :D
I was just under the impression that it was more of a "CYOA" (like, purely decision-making stuff I mean, about what to scavenge and who to help, etc.) rather than having proper stealth gaming implemented in it, like what this game appears to have.

But then again, I haven't slept well at all this week, so if I'm way off the mark just ignore me! (If you're not already, anyway! :v: )

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 16, 2022

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Major Isoor posted:

hahaha fair point! TBH despite owning it I haven't actually played TWoM yet, I'm ashamed to admit. But yeah you're right, there's definitely an element of staying undetected in that, which I overlooked! :D
I was just under the impression that it was more of a "CYOA" (like, purely decision-making stuff I mean, about what to scavenge and who to help, etc.) rather than having proper stealth gaming implemented in it, like what this game appears to have.

But then again, I haven't slept well at all this week, so if I'm way off the mark just ignore me! (If you're not already, anyway! :v: )

Oh no, it's totally fine, that was a joke because sneaking past people to get supplies is the moral thing to do but also going in and shooting people in the face to loot their corpses is another option.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

CuddleCryptid posted:

Oh no, it's totally fine, that was a joke because sneaking past people to get supplies is the moral thing to do but also going in and shooting people in the face to loot their corpses is another option.

Oh wow, really? I thought (based on my almost zero knowledge on the game) that picking the sneaky options was basically enforced, to survive. That's cool - I'll have to give the game a go, before I forget about it again! (Although I'll of course end up playing it stealthily, like I always end up doing with games)

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Major Isoor posted:

Oh wow, really? I thought (based on my almost zero knowledge on the game) that picking the sneaky options was basically enforced, to survive. That's cool - I'll have to give the game a go, before I forget about it again! (Although I'll of course end up playing it stealthily, like I always end up doing with games)

Sneaking is actually easier because shooting people makes you depressed.

The supplies mostly help with that, though.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
Thanks for the suggestion on Fo4 Frost mod. That looks like a really great overhaul.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Grounded had a 6 gig patch yesterday that seemed to be mainly for stability. We played three hours, most of it with four people, and had zero drops or lag issues. They specifically addressed the drop after death glitch in the patch notes.

Yeah Grounded is working for us now.

I'm enjoying it pretty well so far. Though I am starting to get really tired of inventories in these games. I just have all sorts of pebbles and plant fibers and clover leaves and various insect bodies cooked and uncooked and oh my loving god half the game is playing with my inventory. I audibly groaned and then my brother and I had a good laugh when I picked up plant fiber at the very start of the game as it had become a bit of a joke how useless and annoying plant fiber was in V Rising, which we had just finished playing. I don't know why my backpack needs to be spammed by all kinds of random rocks and plant matter in so many of these games. It's one thing to be deciding which things to carry out of a dungeon in an RPG, but chucking plant fiber out of my backpack to make room for dry grass is just why the gently caress is this an activity in a game levels of worthless gameplay. And I have to carry like 5 different things to repair my gear, some food, some water, various tools and weapons and arrows, plus supplies to make camp if needed and that's before even looting. Like come on. Something's gotta give here.

I think at a bare minimum things should infinitely stack in my base containers and my containers should all be one big container in the UI. I shouldn't have multiple stacks of grass taking up slots. Make it take up extra space in the background if you like so I need multiple chests to hold all my grass, but present it as one big stack to me. And let me send everything I carry into existing stacks in containers when at base. And let me craft from the base containers when in range. Luckily Grounded does this last one. V Rising did the sort into containers, but only for the individual container you were in so every time we returned to base we ran down the series of chests one by one.

Is there any survival game that takes the inventory UI tedium of the genre really seriously? It would be refreshing to play one.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Phigs posted:

I think at a bare minimum things should infinitely stack in my base containers and my containers should all be one big container in the UI. I shouldn't have multiple stacks of grass taking up slots. Make it take up extra space in the background if you like so I need multiple chests to hold all my grass, but present it as one big stack to me. And let me send everything I carry into existing stacks in containers when at base. And let me craft from the base containers when in range. Luckily Grounded does this last one. V Rising did the sort into containers, but only for the individual container you were in so every time we returned to base we ran down the series of chests one by one.

There are upgrades to stack size but yeah base storages shouldn't be quite so limited.

And there is a key for automatically dumping your inventory to existing chests in range - can't remember the default, though

Sadistic Hamster
Jan 1, 2005

Is this the place to ask if people from this forum still play Rust? Got back into it with another member of the forum but was wondering if others from here play.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I pop into it now and then, but I don't have consistent enough time available to build and defend a base of any reasonable size, unfortunately. I mainly log on to play gun-for-hire with another friend who occasionally plays and only likes to build.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Installed DayZ last night..after half an hour running through a forest (good looking forest though!) stumbling on an empty shack with nothing to find in it and getting 'killed' by a zombie but waking up very injured I thought lets restart a new character but got thrown back into my old half death char onto another server i decided to reinstall and forget about this poo poo

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I know most people like DayZ (mostly the mod) for the weird sort of loot/murder sim aspect and prefer like, helicopters and assault rifles and that sort of a game. It makes sense that the standalone and the leaning into the sort of 'survival sim' isn't popular, but I feel like its also because they miss so drat hard on that too. If they could make the game into Project Zomboid in the ArmA engine I'd probably never stop playing it, but as it stands its just a worse version of the same "Deathmatch, but you lose more when you die."

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Okay so you get upgrades in Grounded that up the resource stack limit. The first upgrade straight up triples the stack size. Which is really nice and heavily alleviates my biggest complaint on the game, but also I think it's probably a terrible design decision because it makes for a much worse first impression.

Right now I think Grounded might be my second favorite game in the genre, behind 7 days to die and ahead of Valheim.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Phigs posted:

Okay so you get upgrades in Grounded that up the resource stack limit. The first upgrade straight up triples the stack size. Which is really nice and heavily alleviates my biggest complaint on the game, but also I think it's probably a terrible design decision because it makes for a much worse first impression.

Right now I think Grounded might be my second favorite game in the genre, behind 7 days to die and ahead of Valheim.

This is one of the things on my very short list of issues with the game, the fact it takes you so long to be able to unlock that power up. Even knowing what you're doing it takes ages to get a tier 2 hammer to start popping open Milk and Mega Milk molars.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I'm mostly still bitter at DayZ for being the first early access game that was on steam who took the program as an excuse to be utterly, unapologetically broken for ages past the start of sale. It's the only EA title that I played (and I do a lot of EA) that was that bad, both before and after, and it soured me on it ever since.

It probably should have been a red flag to see all the "NO REFUNDS" signs all over the front page but what are you going to do

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

It’s weird I really like the mechanics and survival aspect of games like Rust, Scum, and DayZ but I hate the PvP hellholes that they are, and there’s not enough PvE content to keep me interested for more than a few days.

Right now I’m playing on RustEZ which does a pretty good PvE rust, but once you’ve built a nice base, unlocked most blueprints, and gotten geared enough to deal with the ai guards at every monument there’s not much left to do so I’m just about done with this relapse. I guess I could try the cargo ship I’ve never done that one.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

That's kind of the issue with a lot of scavenger survival games, unless you have a lot of outside pressure they tend to get boring quickly. Games like Card Survival which are more about learning to interact with complex systems can get away without it, because the land itself gives the pressure. But if your game is largely about looking for baked beans and AK-47s in duffle bags then it becomes a functionally pretty shallow game, because it boils down to "look for bags", which gets boring fast once you find all the cool stuff. Games like that will give a plot to it to try and push you further, but things like DayZ or Rust just don't have that.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Phigs posted:

Highly recommend the Sca.B scanner for milk molars. It's expensive (5,000 raw science), but there are SO many we've found because that beep told us to be looking for them.

The stack size limit being upgradeable is definitely a weird choice. It ends up being functionally the same as increasing the storage capacity of your backpack, but it applies to the storage chests too. It is doubly punishing to have the stack size be so low early on, because you want to be picking up everything and have less infrastructure for storage at a base. Once you have a bunch of chests to quick deposit everything, it feels like a lot less of a burden. Being able to build and craft from chests reaaaally helps that, too.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Survival game with multiplayer co-op will have resource grind issue since the dev expects everyone to contribute something towards the goal instead of solo player grinding everything themselves.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I picked up ZERO Seivert and it's scratched the itch of survivalist tarkov gameplay except you don't have to deal with other human players, which is my main gripe with any game that makes use of other human players as the only challenge. Also way more survival oriented, scrounging for food and water that isn't filled with rads or items to bring back to sell so you can keep bullets in your gun to fend off bandits and mutants.

Sounds silly I know, but I hate it when devs fall back on relying on their players to create the only meaningful challenge against each other instead of making even passable AI to contest against to break things up.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I love ZS's soft death system. You don't lose everything ala Tarkov, you're just sent back in time to when you departed town for your raid.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Arrath posted:

I love ZS's soft death system. You don't lose everything ala Tarkov, you're just sent back in time to when you departed town for your raid.

This is honestly my favorite part, coupled with any stats you raise being retained as well. I maxed out Fitness and specialized into Mule for extra carry weight and drat what a difference it makes. You get a bit of progression even dying which helps a lot with the learning curve.

The soft death system works especially well since there's still a penalty for death of losing whatever you found in a raid. The number of times I've gotten too greedy after finding a rarer item for a quest or just a bunch of really good loot and dying with them is not small lol.

But you can just jump right back in without any wait instead of some dumb hour recovery or whatever. Very addictive! The quests give you obvious goals to work toward as well as the modules. Need to finish my kitchen and bed really badly, never have I wished to find so many pillows in a video game.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

VegasGoat posted:

It’s weird I really like the mechanics and survival aspect of games like Rust, Scum, and DayZ but I hate the PvP hellholes that they are, and there’s not enough PvE content to keep me interested for more than a few days.

Evil Kit posted:

[ZERO Seivert]
...I hate it when devs fall back on relying on their players to create the only meaningful challenge against each other instead of making even passable AI to contest against to break things up.
I really agree, I hate how every time a cool looking survival game gets announced lately I have to hold my breath till the end of the trailer for the inevitable "mandatory open pvp" part of it, which puts me off the whole game. Once that's in, everything else falls by the wayside. I just want a good PVE experience, maybe co-op if at all possible. It's part of why I'm so looking forward to The Forest 2, even though I wasn't that keen on 1. Just so much stuff falls back on pvp and battle royale sensibilities, even when every other part of the game looks appealing to me.

As a Zero Seivert-adjacent example, Hell is Others is a little known game in a similar style that came out recently, and it had a lot of cool concepts, but as release neared they revealed it was PVPVE only and there was no singleplayer, co-op, or offline mode. I just want to fight AI in a game like that, and Zero Seivert is the only real example I've found lately.
I will say, though, that Zero Seivert's economy blows out fast. I like the early game where you really have to fight and scrape just to get food and resupplies, but there's a turning point that happens pretty suddenly where you're suddenly swimming in resources and stomping all over every raid. The progression curve could be smoothed a little. Or a lot.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Klaaz posted:

Installed DayZ last night..after half an hour running through a forest (good looking forest though!) stumbling on an empty shack with nothing to find in it and getting 'killed' by a zombie but waking up very injured I thought lets restart a new character but got thrown back into my old half death char onto another server i decided to reinstall and forget about this poo poo
DZ does that which is a bit weird compared to other games. If you're playing on an official server, then you keep the same character until you die unless you switch maps. Community servers are what you'd expect, you start fresh unless you log back into the same one. If I'm badly hurt and just want to start over I'll go aggro a bunch of z's and take out as many as I can before dying, or find another person and drop all my loot for them and have them put me out of my misery. I'd like to do the whole base building thing but I'm on PS5 and none of my friends play, and it's too much work to do by yourself just to not log in for a week and have everything looted/destroyed.

The moment to moment survival can be really tense and fun though. I also like selecting the old man character and then RP'ing over voice chat as a lost grandpa looking for his tour bus :v:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

VegasGoat posted:

Right now I’m playing on RustEZ which does a pretty good PvE rust, but once you’ve built a nice base, unlocked most blueprints, and gotten geared enough to deal with the ai guards at every monument there’s not much left to do so I’m just about done with this relapse. I guess I could try the cargo ship I’ve never done that one.

This just makes me want to play 7daystodie again. There’s a number of modded PvE servers that are better geared to providing endgame content, but even on vanilla its a pretty rad experience. Im sure you already scratched that specific itch before, though.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I'm waiting for the next big 7D2D update myself, but I don't think there's any release date yet (or probably anytime soon), so I'm probably going to be waiting a while.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

buglord posted:

This just makes me want to play 7daystodie again. There’s a number of modded PvE servers that are better geared to providing endgame content, but even on vanilla its a pretty rad experience. Im sure you already scratched that specific itch before, though.

Oh yeah been there. I should play that again, it’s been a while. Nightshade server was fun they had end game suped up versions of every weapon. I also liked Undead Legacy even though it’s a bit grindy.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
What all open-ended games with this kind of scavenge->build->defend loop need is either an engaging plot or a random system of incidents to give some interesting variety ond pressure to break optimal and safe routines, or (preferably) both.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Flesh Forge posted:

What all open-ended games with this kind of scavenge->build->defend loop need is either an engaging plot or a random system of incidents to give some interesting variety ond pressure to break optimal and safe routines, or (preferably) both.
I agree, it's too easy to game the system on a lot of them. When I played Green Hell with a friend, the best stretch we had was early on when we were just getting settled and a series of illnesses and animal attacks left one of us in a nearly incapacitated state for a prolonged time while the other had to scavenge for both of us. The injured party could only really work around the base, and even then on tasks that weren't very physically intensive. We were searching for herbal remedies and maggots to help treat infected wounds, brewing soups to soothe fevers and trying just to get our feet under us before the next downpour. Once that was over, and we were able to get comfortably situated, nothing ever really threatened us again, and it was boringly smooth sailing afterwards.
Natural disasters, sudden illnesses, accidents, injuries, all sorts of things could mix up your routine in a game, but generally they're mitigated or even prevented by just playing the "right" way and there's little risk of running into unexpected severe hardship unless you've really messed up.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Do you like Stalker? Do you like Minecraft? Maybe you'd like STALCRAFT? :shrug:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1818450/STALCRAFT/

free to play!

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 19, 2022

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The reviews on that are enough to turn me away.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Someone else mentioned Stalcraft to me as well and yeah, naw. Reading the reviews you hear about similar issues as Tarkov etc with camping quest spawns and such. Also that it's hell to play by yourself, much better with friends apparently.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

dogstile posted:

Sneaking is actually easier because shooting people makes you depressed.

The supplies mostly help with that, though.

good ol Boris can snap necks because he is very large and not get depressed because he is very traumatized

any run without him does rather encourage stealth, and indeed, he needs to be somewhat stealthy to throttle bandits and soldiers in melee range before they blow him away from not-melee range

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
7 Days to Die just added a bunch of vehicle changes on Friday.
But yeah, still listed as 2023 for a21 release.
https://community.7daystodie.com/topic/28129-alpha-21-dev-diary/

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

water flow is TREMENDOUS, that will be such a massive change

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
Yeah im pretty much of the opinion that PVP just doesnt work in any good survival like game because its inevitable that people wanna min-max that poo poo and be twitch stream gamers so they eventually become super sweaty, over-powered and not fun to engage with in anyway.

DayZ is just the quintessential example where the PVP goes from cool tense interactions with strangers and other similarily geared guys to then just becoming a shittier version of PUBG.

Love DayZ PVE but its hard to find a good modded server that also doesnt have that market system where you have to resort to playing lovely hunter simulator.

Erly game PVE in any survival game is always the best, and unfortunately there just aren't great systems out there I think for end game that either doesnt continue to a grind/loot fest or simply becomes an entirely different game. Can't say I can think of any game that does it well.

Question - I know its more of an action-story game with some small survivalish mechanics, but Days Gone By is on sale for $20 and I've never played it. Is the storyline and gameplay good?

Finally, god I really want to love 7DTD but the audio and sound in the game is ear cancer inducing, and honestly until that gets revamped I just cant get into it.

Everything from the god-awful and annoying "EEERRRRRRR" ambience sound that apparently some people think is actually scary, to that loving cutting noise and different action/picking up/looting/whatever sound effects all sound like they got picked up from a Battlegrounds-era flash game.

That one stupid that one UI sound effect I can't remember what its for is etched into my brain

edit: found it, its this one at 38s in to indicate you can't hit trader stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boHWrzorYK4&t=38s

Oysters Autobio fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Dec 21, 2022

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Heh yeah 7DTD has pretty bad audio, come to think of it. It’s definitely an afterthought. I guess I don’t notice it because for the last 100 hours of gameplay this has been a podcast game, so the volume is just enough to hear threats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Days Gone isn't really a good game. For 20 bucks it might be fine but the story is extremely worn down and the mechanics are The Last Of Us Open World. The motorcycle mechanics and need for gas adds a bit to it but I got bored with it quickly.