Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Oh, it's a Touhou music meme, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Gaius Marius posted:

Crisis Core is great, no idea about the remake but I wouldn't pay $50 for it

Thanks for the price to product replies. I'll wait until it's cheap or on Sony pass!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

FrostyPox posted:

That might be part of the reason I like VIII and XIII so much. I feel like VII is in there, too, but I don't have quite the eye for design trends.

I like VIII largely because it's the first JRPG I ever played (I actually played the PC version, which came with the weird chocobo minigame thing - I remember the minigame giving me a lot of items).

Does the Steam version of VIII come with the chocobo minigame? I've never actually replayed VIII - I should probably do that at some point.

Speaking of VIII, I recently learned of the "Rinoa is Ultimecia" theory and I like it a lot and was very sad to hear that apparently it was denied by the writers, since it would go a long way towards making Ultimecia less of a weird out-of-nowhere boss (and certain stuff related to Ultimecia doesn't make much sense otherwise, like the Griever GF).

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Griever makes more sense in the original Japanese, where it's clear that she's pulling it from Squall's idea of what the strongest thing could be rather than anything tied to her.

FFXIV's take on it for the Eden raids was both very clever and true to the original idea, since it's a mashup of the things Ryne associated with strength; her two father figures.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
What's really crazy is that someone at SE must dig the theory, because they had Ultimecia do the Rinoa Finger Pose in the crossover event in Mobius Final Fantasy

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

DanielCross posted:

What's really crazy is that someone at SE must dig the theory, because they had Ultimecia do the Rinoa Finger Pose in the crossover event in Mobius Final Fantasy

Kitase likes the theory from what I remember in an interview he did. He says it's false, same with Squall Is Dead, but he likes the interpretations and creativity of the theories and if he ever did a remake of FFVIII, he might incorporate some nods to those theories.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Sorry to drag this back, but: in thinking more about it, the one that interests me the most here is Haurchefaunt.

If we're completely honest, we have to acknowledge that Emet and G'raha (and Wakka) are riding a recency bias here. Yes, so is FF7's cast to a degree, but we know they tend to take top spots even when they aren't--I think it's pretty clear that when they're no longer current, Emet is going to drop from that top spot, and G'raha's probably going to drop from the top rankings altogether unless he really stunts in the next expansion. But Haurchefaunt died seven years ago, and he's STILL in the top rankings. That's some goddamn longetivity, especially for a character that relatively minor!

9 also showing some impressive strength in age, too. There haven't been recent reasons to care about FF9 for well over a decade at this point, and somehow it's still taking two spots in the top ten.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

FF14 is an interesting case because people will be playing it continuously for years to come, and even if the characters aren't active in current expansions people will still be continuously reminded of their existence by running old trials, etc. I think it'll be harder for Emet to fade from memory than you think.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Clarste posted:

FF14 is an interesting case because people will be playing it continuously for years to come, and even if the characters aren't active in current expansions people will still be continuously reminded of their existence by running old trials, etc. I think it'll be harder for Emet to fade from memory than you think.

I mean everyone did agree to remember him

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

*Nods* *Punches palm*

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Kitase likes the theory from what I remember in an interview he did. He says it's false, same with Squall Is Dead, but he likes the interpretations and creativity of the theories and if he ever did a remake of FFVIII, he might incorporate some nods to those theories.

Its a fun theory that ties together the ending and makes the story more "romantic" in the classic literature sense. I would 100% add it to any remake I would do of 8.

I will not entertain Squall is Dead because the only thing stupider is when I had to listen to a person trying to call Frank Capra movies Libertarian

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Clarste posted:

*Nods* *Punches palm*

*zoom in on clinched fist*

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Ultimecia theory is narratively and thematically satisfying, and is partially even alluded to in the text of the work itself, even if unintentional. Squall is Dead is bullshit rear end Author is Dead fanwank wherein it’s a race by people who took their first Film Studies 101 class trying to come up with the most “out there” (that’s actually super cliched but whatever) fan theory and then backfill a justification. Basically it’s Room 237 but for weebs.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
I know he says it false but i cant see it any other way if it isnt rinoa, its that good a fit lol

But yeah squall is def not dead, that theory sucks

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I vaguely remember "Squall is Dead" being boosted by somebody who was later like "oh yeah, I didn't watch to the end of the credits."

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Squall is Dead is so dumb because it’s not additive. Ultimecia is a great theory because it adds so much to the story as written, it gives her a character a motivation, it ties together a lot of its disparate theories and ideas, and even contextualizes some of the stuff like Laguna by saying it’s one end of the timeline that Ultimecia is the other end of. You learn Squall’s past and Rinoa’s future in parallel to each other over the course of the game.

It just makes sense, it’s a great theory that imparts meaning and weight to otherwise nonsensical story events and if they remade 8 and didn’t include it as canon I’d be like, what are you doing? The game becomes such a a narrative mess by the end of disc 3 and expanding the Rinoa = Ultimecia stuff in a full on remake would make the game so much texturally stronger. On the other hand, Squall is Dead is, at best, weird bad excuses/justification, and even then it doesn’t really work because the story only really becomes dreamlike nonsense by the end of the disc 3. So even in the fan theory Squall’s initial dream is otherwise coherent and follows conventional narrative structure until…like…forty hours of game time later?

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Rinoa = Ultimecia is equally as stupid as Squall Is Dead. Might as well be "Cid is Squall after landing in the wrong part of the timeline" or some poo poo. It's a great theory that imparts weight and meaning to why Cid is helping Squall!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I like R=U because it gives Ultimecia a semblance of intrigue and depth.

I never did believe it but oh well. Japanese fans must believe it too if Kitase himself actually heard about it.

Kanfy posted:

Also undoubtedly a bit of a protest since Square's lawyers demanded that video removed from the internet. I mentioned it back in June when it happened and it was in large part the takedown demand that went really viral (and the niconico-comment filled video of it I posted has since been taken down too, rip)

E: Hah, it has also gotten reuploaded it seems... in 8k resolution!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cgc0Jl46xY

Suitably Wakka's placement as the 53rd most popular character in the last big character poll is one of the references, still didn't get that 1st place but he sure got close.

Hey this version doesn't have all the weird scrolling stuff the one you posted last time did.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Rinoa=Ultimecia has the issue of, you know, dooming Rinoa since it'd be a time loop. What did she do to deserve that?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

If I remember correctly it presupposes the gang, or at least Squall, all die to Ultimecia, who spares Rinoa due to obvious trying to preserve the time loop that ensures her existence in the first place, and Rinoa ends up becoming Ultimecia to get back at her as part of bloody cycle of revenge. So basically literally the plot of Looper.

Ed: also with some “GFs wipe user’s minds” thrown in as justification that Ultimecia ends up literally forgetting everything besides who she originally started as.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Dec 19, 2022

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Rinoa=Ultimecia has the issue of, you know, dooming Rinoa since it'd be a time loop. What did she do to deserve that?

She's a rich girl, and she's gone too far, and you know it doesn't matter any way

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I think Rinoa=Ultemicia would be cool cuz it'd be something of a nod to FF1's timeloop.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Imagine if they went full Chrono and let you kill Rinoa at different points in NG+ (e.g. failing in space, killing her fused with Adel) and get alternate endings where Ultimecia never exists but the NORGs take over or whatever.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Electromax posted:

Imagine if they went full Chrono and let you kill Rinoa at different points in NG+ (e.g. failing in space, killing her fused with Adel) and get alternate endings where Ultimecia never exists but the NORGs take over or whatever.

I'm using Time Kompression to send you a warning from the future for leaking my FFVIII remake's core new gimmick.

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

I'd just structure it so that Ultemecia is Rinoa from the pre-Time Kompression version of history where she didn't have Time Kompression to accidentally shift history so that Squall is alive and around in the same time period as her to fall in love with and become a completely different person. So its a straight causal loop until you kill Ultemecia and undo Time Kompression and thus free Rinoa from having to become the Ultemecia she would have been doomed to be. You know, a sensible double time loop conquered by the power of love across time, basic stuff for an FF game.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Dec 19, 2022

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Riona should interrupt Seifer by saying "I don't give a gently caress who you are. I'm here to kill Ultemicia.'

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Or, better yet, "I am Ultimecia"

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
"Bullshit."

*blasts Sum 41 through earbuds*

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Aside from recency-bias, why do people like Emet-Selch that much?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

good character

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Have you played FFXIV? Genuine question, not trying to be patronizing, but basically he’s the best version of a tragic, sympathetic villain that SE has ever done. At the high concept, imagine a villain with the charisma of Kefka and the relatable motivations of Sephiroth, who isn’t insane.

Until shadowbringers Emet-Selch is just a weird prick who fucks with you, but in a way that’s genuinely pretty funny and makes you enjoy the times he comes by to mess with you. During shadowbringers, they basically end up actually explaining who he is and what his plans are and it explains his weird assholey initial behavior as a way to mask deep pain, but sir I am Pagliacci style. Basically he’s a bad guy and he’s wrong but he’s introduced with so much charisma and is so genuinely funny and likeable, and the stuff you learn about his backstory in Shadowbringers ends up making you feel like he’s a villain who is 100% justified in his actions. That’s an incredibly, incredibly difficult line for the game to walk, wherein you feel both that you have to put a stop to him but also that what he’s doing makes sense and isn’t evil in a traditionally defined sense.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Also he has a funny little wave.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I thought it was kind of funny his english VA is some TV soap actor and didn't seem to know the character was popular at all until someone contacted him for an interview like a year later

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Some of them like that his a petty tired theater loving little bitch who loves to talk poo poo and argue with Thancred et al. Some love that he's the tragic hero of a long lost people's trying to rebuild what he's lost by becoming a monster unlike anything before. Some like his direct and honest relationship and dialogue with you the protag. And some just wanna gently caress the rat grandpa.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

NieR Occomata posted:

Have you played FFXIV? Genuine question, not trying to be patronizing, but basically he’s the best version of a tragic, sympathetic villain that SE has ever done. At the high concept, imagine a villain with the charisma of Kefka and the relatable motivations of Sephiroth, who isn’t insane.

Yes, but I'm still early in Endwalker.

I thought he's really good compared to the other villains, particularly Ascians in the game, but hadn't thought he'd be a #1 all time FF character for so many. I could see it though.

He also looks and talks like a smug motherfucker I know irl.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 19, 2022

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

He deliberately introduces himself as a bad guy who's here to ruin your plans, and he follows you around with you fully knowing this, because what are you going to do about it?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I mean, I think FF14 has like 20 books' worth of dialogue or something, which is by far the most for the series. Other games you get maybe some short video clips, or significantly less dialogue (and even less emoting). So Emet-Selch (and most characters in FF14) just gets a ton more opportunity to be a fully fleshed out character.

I also think FF14 has the best writing in the series, so you get a ton of good character-driven writing in one spot it makes sense that the audience would identify a FF14 character as #1.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Two tidbits from the ending of the world of balance in FFVI:

-I don't know if it was added in the later translation but Gestahl telling Celes to join them so she and Kefka can father a bunch of Magitek children is way more disturbing than I remember
-the line "Run run or you'll be well done!" is incredible and 100% Woolsey

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

DanielCross posted:

Ultimecia is pretty much a personification of the destructive habits Rinoa and Squall developed before they found each other, so even without her literally being Rinoa, it makes sense that she'd share quirks with the two of them.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Heran Bago posted:

Aside from recency-bias, why do people like Emet-Selch that much?

i also would like to know this. he sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

As far as Best Characters go, Emet-Selch is cool, but Hythlodaeus is just so much better.

Also, Ultimecia isn't Rinoa. Ultimecia is cool and good. Rinoa is bad and garbage.