Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Naw man, Battler goes hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Gaius Marius posted:

Naw man, Battler goes hard

goes hard at breaking people's hearts like an oblivious jerk maybe

not even sending a letter, smdh

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Nah Battler's an alright guy

Look at how cool he is right here

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

:objection:

Also, what is that? I've never seen a version with italics.

edit: oh poo poo I think I might get most of it (Umineko 7, Everything About It): Sayo/Shannon is going to solve the epitaph and realize who they are but also find some sort of self-destruct for the base or bomb on the submarine and blow up the whole island for ???? battler ???? reasons ?? okay it kind of falls apart at the end there but the rest of it seems like a really obvious way to connect all the dots

e2: or maybe Kinzo set it ages ago for some reason and Sayo just didn't stop it

e3: the epitaph is wild

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Dec 15, 2022

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

and once more

Rockman Reserve posted:

jesus loving christ what the gently caress - kinzo -

everything about this is so hosed up but i'm still tearing up hard

e: okay kinzo immediately ruined it, 'Even your face reminds me of that mother and daughter...' :barf:

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Dec 15, 2022

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Taking a pause right as Furfur and Zepar are getting properly introduced.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Umineko 7: what the gently caress is even happening

as vague as it is i get like....90% of it but i'm totally lost on what the 'counter' to game 2 first twilight means. Like okay 'the golden lock of truth' calls to mind the Gold Truth from the end of games 5 and 6 so I'm thinking it's probably something integral to the larger mystery....maybe? But honestly that crime scene has had me pretty stumped for a while.

e: huh. well. hmm.

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Dec 15, 2022

Steely Glint
Oct 29, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
The English text of the statement you're referring to should be Illusions to illusions. ...The gold truth locks the lock of illusions.

It's probably easier to understand if you focus on the last part first and only afterwards use that answer to figure out what the gold truth is here. What's a "lock of illusions"?

Stated outright, the lock never existed. Hence, an illusionary lock or "lock of illusions".

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Yeah I guess I knew the answer to the 'closed room' the whole time - hell, even Battler basically figured it out - I'm just getting hung up on, you know, everything else about that crime scene haha

imagine I posed that same question about most of the game 4 stuff then.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Rockman Reserve posted:

and once more

everything about this is so hosed up but i'm still tearing up hard

e: okay kinzo immediately ruined it, 'Even your face reminds me of that mother and daughter...' :barf:

It's so much worse in the manga wherein it by nature of the medium shows her entire lovely life; completely exposing her heart in the process . If you ever do read it, I definitely recommend to be in a good headspace and bring tissues

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

is this tea party really going to be a seventh game holy poo poo i am never going to finish this

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Rockman Reserve posted:

is this tea party really going to be a seventh game holy poo poo i am never going to finish this

I remember posting drat near the same thing at this point lmao

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I think that's the longest tea party in the game

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
Just realized something while reading through Umineko Episode 4 with my partner (full Umineko Spoilers) of course Ange would end up as the Witch of Resurrection. Her father already revived Asuma's son Ushiromiya Battler. It runs in the family.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

VostokProgram posted:

I think that's the longest tea party in the game

It has to be, I've got to be at the end (everyone but Eva (and maybe Battler?) is dead - the outside and inside stories match, like Battler was saying when he set up Game 6). The rest of them are always longer than I remembered, but this one is like two or three hours, easy.

Thoughts (episode 7):

-I'd pretty much figured out the 'incident' to the point where as soon as Beato walked over to the grandfather clock I understood basically everything that was about to happen before she even explained what it was. The bit about Eva not trusting which side of the switch was safe was a nice touch, though. And maybe this is a bit of a stretch but I also really enjoyed that it seemed to hint that Kinzo was basically using the clock almost like a form of quantum immortality - he gets stuck on something? Well, better go stare at the clock, if he doesn't figure it out it'll erase the whole island. The only Shards left with him in it would have him winning all his mad gambles.
-Kyrie and Rudolf what the gently caress you loving assholes
-wait why did Rudolf call Kyrie Battler's mother did he just mean adoptively or is that the secret of Battler's birth
-At one point I was honestly kind of on the right track for solving the epitaph by looking for mouth/kuchi radicals in kanji place names including 'shore' but still never, ever would have gotten it because I was looking at the wrong country. BUT! At the same time I feel pretty vindicated about my theories that it was okay to not solve that, since it was clearly meant for someone else.
-seriously though gently caress Kyrie, what the gently caress, I've had some pretty stupid intense crushes and infatuation in my life but not 'literally babytrap someone in the most r/childfree sense of the term and then murder all their relatives' intense
here's the obviously big one:
-I'm still pretty lost on who Clair/Yasu/Lion is supposed to be and how we go from the point A of them solving the epitaph and 'reviving' as Beatrice to the point B of October 4 and 5, 1986. Like, it seems like Beatrice is Shannon, and it's been all but confirmed in red that there is some gender identity weirdness going on, but the text itself is sure playing coy about it all. And no matter how unstable/trapped/heartbroken 'Beatrice' is about Battler finally returning but not remembering his promise, I just don't know how to follow that line of thinking all the way down to a gruesome serial murder - especially if George proposed that evening. Sure, Battler may be an oblivious jackass, and I get that him returning after six years was worse than returning a year earlier (when things with George hadn't gotten as serious) or later (when presumably they'd already be pretty well established as a couple publically) but . . . . .whaaat? And what about Kanon/Jessica? There was that scene of Shannon talking with Jessica and the other girls about who they liked and it literally devolved into a tickle fight so okay, there's some flirting that could be taken as evidence of a crush, but how that ties back to the tragedy isn't at all clear to me.

e: maybe George's proposal isn't the way out it seems to be because of the gender identity stuff? He brings up wanting kids pretty much every time, and if the target of his proposal was AMAB but not open about it....? But I honestly don't know.

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 15, 2022

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Advising you to wait for the end of episode before further commenting.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

okay, finished. How the gently caress was that so long.

gently caress bernkastel. I've started episode 8, the intro video was rad, I'm enjoying it so far but I'm not going to discount or forget Bern's promise in the ?????. So now I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop.

e: oh my god kinzo is so into halloween

e2: this is not at all how that works guys you have some wires crossed

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Dec 16, 2022

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I have a new hypothesis. Massive spoilers, of course.

Gohda must be the culprit. Only he would be skilled enough to hide small bombs in the candy. Therefore, Gohda is also Kanon. When Kanon calls Gohda fat, that's self-hatred caused by dysmorphia.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I get the feeling that Ange's key is all a big metaphor for either accepting the Truth of a loving family that died in a catastrophe vs the Facts that everyone was loving terrible and her mother was the worst psycho rear end in a top hat of them all. Which...honestly is a pretty rough choice.

...did the Episode 7 Tea Party /game 7 ever actually mention Battler getting killed? Rudolf got interrupted by Eva, and it seemed like Eva found and fought Kyrie before she could find Battler, but maybe I missed something?

e: so uh any of you guys ever read The Wasp Factory? I haven't but know the general summary and uh...

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Dec 16, 2022

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Episode 6. George and Jessica have both had their kills.

I like that the magical scenes are getting repurposed to explain how the game works. So instead of things like "Kanon pulls a magic sword out of his rear end" its "Jessica starts playing a copy of the game inside itself Scheherazade-style". The bit about Kyrie locking herself in a room was amusing--her corpse can't be found in a locked room if Jessica has to break the door down to get to her. Puzzled that she didn't realize Jessica would just kill her through the door. Come on, it's Calvinball.

Jessica's incantations, like Ronové's in episode 4, are kind of generic-boring. Like a bad isekai about reincarnating in not-WoW.

I spent a good chunk of Kyrie's hell speech thinking that Asumu's death was the end of Kyrie's hell, and that the 18 years was really about Beato's suffering during Battler's entire life. But yeah, Kyrie is the kind of person who won't even let herself enjoy that she won Rudolf's hand in the end.

She really works hard to maintain that emotional blind spot of hers. "How was I supposed to know that they were forming an emotional connection? All I was doing was arranging their gently caress dates and not dating him myself." I'm pretty sure that Asumu was just a normal kind person and that Kyrie is projecting all of the manipulative interests onto her. If she can have such a reductive interpretation of Rudolf's motivations, then why would she want to be with him in the first place?

George vs EVA was much longer than it needed to be. Didn't really add anything new. Clicking through the same stock sound effect six times while the text box spells out ".........." one character at a time is a pet peeve of mine.

Lol that Shannon, Kanon, and Beato all put their hands up at the same time to go next. Of loving course.

So Math fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 18, 2022

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

How long is Episode 8? I have some thoughts (and lingering questions) and am wondering if I should just power through to the end first. It seems to be pretty straightforward so far in what it's trying to do, although I'm still waiting for Bernkastel to throw a horrible wrench into everything somehow.

One little comment on probably my favorite minor detail of Episode 7: I loved the scene where Gaap/Beatrice/Lion/???? uses 'magic' to make the new servant's key end up in her locker. Even without any red truth, the way it's presented it's still pretty easy to figure out, it's fun and low-stakes (nobody got murdered!!) and works great as a little wink-wink-nudge-nudge 'do you understand' check for the reader.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Rockman Reserve posted:

How long is Episode 8? I have some thoughts (and lingering questions) and am wondering if I should just power through to the end first. It seems to be pretty straightforward so far in what it's trying to do, although I'm still waiting for Bernkastel to throw a horrible wrench into everything somehow.

One little comment on probably my favorite minor detail of Episode 7: I loved the scene where Gaap/Beatrice/Lion/???? uses 'magic' to make the new servant's key end up in her locker. Even without any red truth, the way it's presented it's still pretty easy to figure out, it's fun and low-stakes (nobody got murdered!!) and works great as a little wink-wink-nudge-nudge 'do you understand' check for the reader.

Episode 8 is decent length and uh, includes a few puzzle elements you probably want to get right.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

is it going to keep making me tear up so badly

all of the happy scenes in this game are so melancholy

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Absolutely 100%

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Random possibly inconsequential thing I'm wondering about :

(Episode 7)
So when Beatrice turns off the switch on the clock, there's a heavy GA-SHUNK kind of noise.... the same noise we hear during a lot of scene changes in the previous games where we see the clock face advance over a black screen. If you were already aware of what it was (or just paying wayyy more attention than even I have been trying to do), do those actually line up with someone activating/disarming the killswitch in the current story?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Rockman Reserve posted:

I have some thoughts (and lingering questions) and am wondering if I should just power through to the end first.

This is the optimal way just read and comment as you go along. Read a guide if you want to solve the puzzle elements you'll know when they happen

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 19, 2022

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

fez_machine posted:

This is the optimal way just read and comment as you go along. Read a guide if you want to solve the puzzle elements you'll know when they happen

oh, (Higurashi and Umineko spoilers), is it interactive like the meat of Higurashi 8? Can I go through it blind and then reload a save and do it with a guide, or is it like Bernkarika discussing the boxes in the TIPS in Higurashi where if you reload to open the other box she calls you out on it?

e: ama about Higurashi crashing *twice* towards the end when I tried to speed through 8 in the correct order for the hidden scene, except actually don’t because it really sucked.. Ironically 07th-Mod seems to make them WAY more stable.

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 19, 2022

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Rockman Reserve posted:

oh, (Higurashi and Umineko spoilers), is it interactive like the meat of Higurashi 8? Can I go through it blind and then reload a save and do it with a guide, or is it like Bernkarika discussing the boxes in the TIPS in Higurashi where if you reload to open the other box she calls you out on it?

e: ama about Higurashi crashing *twice* towards the end when I tried to speed through 8 in the correct order for the hidden scene, except actually don’t because it really sucked.. Ironically 07th-Mod seems to make them WAY more stable.

You can fail to get the scenes and the game will continue.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

somebody give this poor girl a lesson in probability

edit: oh. huh. hmmm.

e2: do you always find the almond?

e3: oh. huh. hmmm.

e4: this upbeat remix of Hope with all the xylophones and violins and glockenspiels is delightful

e5: hell yes this is great

e6: :cry:

e7: okay got sidetracked for several hours but uh I'm just past Gohda and Kumasawa's riddles, this is all about trying to make Ange acknowledge that her family and Eva in particular weren't monsters, even Amakusa is trying to get her to recognize it as she continues on her pointless quest to visit Rokkenjima. If she goes, she gets murdered by someone in power to avoid an international incident over a missing pile of gold worth something like 1/3 of Japan's GDP in 1998. If she understands and accepts her family's love without the cold bias of the Witch Hunters and outside world, she reclaims treasured memories of her family, if she rejects it as a farce she'll never understand what she justifiably sees as a huge enigmatic betrayal, and then even if she somehow survives the assault at Rokkenjima she'll be consumed by a revenge she can never satisfy.

but honestly I'm not discounting stuff getting super weird.

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Dec 20, 2022

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Posting about this in hopes something shakes loose in my brain ‘cuz I’ve figured out all these drat riddles so far until Kanon’s and I sure don’t wanna cheat myself out of a good riddle.

Oh duh lmao

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Dec 21, 2022

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Rockman Reserve posted:

Posting about this in hopes something shakes loose in my brain ‘cuz I’ve figured out all these drat riddles so far until Kanon’s and I sure don’t wanna cheat myself out of a good riddle.

Oh duh lmao

That one is hilarious because of how some people get it instantly and some people just get stonewalled, and you can tell why.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Cyouni posted:

That one is hilarious because of how some people get it instantly and some people just get stonewalled, and you can tell why.

It’s been one of my favorites so far.

come on do we really need a long explanation of the Monty Hall problem

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Rockman Reserve posted:

Oh duh lmao

Which one was that?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

VostokProgram posted:

Which one was that?

quote:

A king gathered his wisest subjects and gave them medals. The first winner got a copper medal worth 29 coins, the second a silver medal worth 47 coins, and the gold winner got a medal worth 79 coins. How much was the platinum medal worth?

Not sure how I should feel about/treat the [e7/e8] reveal that Kyrie is Battler's mom. First of all, what the tremendous gently caress Rudolf? Second of all, I have no idea why that makes Rudolf think he'll be murdered. I mean, yeah, Battler and Kyrie would be justified being absolutely madder than hell about it, but unless there's some kind of unspoken "We Need To Talk About Kevin" poo poo going on with him I don't think that at all justifies Rudolf being apparently really concerned he's going to die. Third, we know that this game is an illusion/lesson - while it's kind of explicitly stated in Episode 7, I don't really get how Beatrice could have figured it out/used it as a plot point in her earlier games.

Anyway I've gotta be closing in on the finish line, here....

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

Rockman Reserve posted:

Not sure how I should feel about/treat the [e7/e8] reveal that Kyrie is Battler's mom. First of all, what the tremendous gently caress Rudolf? Second of all, I have no idea why that makes Rudolf think he'll be murdered. I mean, yeah, Battler and Kyrie would be justified being absolutely madder than hell about it, but unless there's some kind of unspoken "We Need To Talk About Kevin" poo poo going on with him I don't think that at all justifies Rudolf being apparently really concerned he's going to die. Third, we know that this game is an illusion/lesson - while it's kind of explicitly stated in Episode 7, I don't really get how Beatrice could have figured it out/used it as a plot point in her earlier games.

Anyway I've gotta be closing in on the finish line, here....

I really can't think of a faster way for someone to get executed than to say "sorry I swapped babies to not rock the boat with my wife, yours wasn't a stillbirth after all lmao" to Kyrie. You've read ep7.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I don't think Rudolf thought he was literally going to die. Though he probably expected his wife to beat him up and stuff.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
Yeah, it was a conversational exaggeration placed there for readers to get hung up on only because we know we're reading a murder mystery.

But also Kyrie absolutely would murder him.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I mean, all fair points, she's fuckin' scary as hell.

Still really hazy on the Sayo/Yoshiya/Yasu/Beato/Battler/George/Jessica love heptagon situation and how it leads to the incident or what Yasu/Beatrice the Third was trying to accomplish other than trying to make someone understand them (which uh.....they don't make easy at all, huh) but I'm not at the end yet.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There's more explicit answers out there, but once you've finished ep8 I'd suggest rereading episode 2. If you read it in the right way it explains the motive shockingly directly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Irony Be My Shield posted:

There's more explicit answers out there, but once you've finished ep8 I'd suggest rereading episode 2. If you read it in the right way it explains the motive shockingly directly.

drat it I just reread that one but I split it up with rereading 5 and 6 sooo I'm having trouble with keeping my thoughts straight, can you point to a general scene or two I should consider in a different light or should I finish out 8 first? I mean I'm guessing it's something with the aquarium and/or proposal scenes, or maybe the Kanon/Shannon/Beatrice showdown where Beatrice goes off all angrily about how love is physical...?