Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Internet Explorer posted:

I'm going to ask astral to make all posts in SH/SC go through that filter.

and I will find away around it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Oh my gently caress make a whole forum that but don’t tell them

Wait can we do this to dnd

Asking for a friend

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Can I finally get IK for my great content?

e: I just wanna probe like 3 people and be done with it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

no

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I am disappointed that I was not able to have fun in this situation, indeed.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

I hate everyone in this thread.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Lol it's literally just gpt3 with a one sentence prompt to summarize the email and make it acceptable for a workplace audience. What a brave new world we live in where this makes for a new product.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Dear Jagerex,

I am disappointed to see your posts on the forum that are not of the quality I expect from others. I hope you will take this feedback into consideration for future posts.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Tokin Opposition

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

tehinternet posted:

Oh my gently caress make a whole forum that but don’t tell them

Wait can we do this to dnd

Asking for a friend

i fully endorse this move if cspam gets a rudeness rewriter

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Okay but why isn't there a website to take a business email and make it extremely offensive?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

KillHour posted:

Okay but why isn't there a website to take a business email and make it extremely offensive?

I'm available

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

The politepost.net site says it uses OpenAI, which has an API. If you could approximate the prompt used by Fix My Email, this should be possible. Or use it to make the posts even ruder.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

tokin opposition posted:

i fully endorse this move if cspam gets a rudeness rewriter

Keep going, I’m almost there

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

George H.W. oval office posted:

This has good thread potential

Lmao

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Sometimes it does the opposite of what you want:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Having to explain to my employer that if your PMs leave and you don't replace them then you don't get any projects managed :thumbsup:. There might have been a time earlier in my career when I was naïve and would have 'temporarily' stepped up but not now. Now every new responsibility I might take on needs to be negotiated for and if it doesn't fit in my own plan of what my career wants to be then it won't get done.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Thanks Ants posted:

Having to explain to my employer that if your PMs leave and you don't replace them then you don't get any projects managed :thumbsup:. There might have been a time earlier in my career when I was naïve and would have 'temporarily' stepped up but not now. Now every new responsibility I might take on needs to be negotiated for and if it doesn't fit in my own plan of what my career wants to be then it won't get done.
This is the correct approach. When your whole organization is on drugs, your job is to be really good at harm reduction

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm not crazy for thinking it's incredibly rude to send someone an invite for first thing their morning during their night so they don't even have a chance to respond to your invite, right?

I'm coming back from a long vacation today and I checked my calendar before bed - first call at 11. Well, I woke up this morning and now I have a call in 10 minutes because Asia.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

KillHour posted:

I'm not crazy for thinking it's incredibly rude to send someone an invite for first thing their morning during their night so they don't even have a chance to respond to your invite, right?

I'm coming back from a long vacation today and I checked my calendar before bed - first call at 11. Well, I woke up this morning and now I have a call in 10 minutes because Asia.

Decline or ignore that invite, it is either very rude or (more likely) just oblivious because they don't care about your personal circumstances.

This is why I block off my entire first day back after any vacation time.

oh rly
Feb 22, 2006
oh rly ya rly no wai

KillHour posted:

I ignore these meetings and give the person who set them a hard time after they complain I didn't show up. Double points if you choose a rescheduled time that's inconvenient for them.

The same person who does this type of poo poo also asks for updates via email one min before the meeting and then throws you under the bus during the meeting stating they are waiting on you.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

oh rly posted:

The same person who does this type of poo poo also asks for updates via email one min before the meeting and then throws you under the bus during the meeting stating they are waiting on you.

God drat this would make me throw hands so fast.

In a similar vain, how do y’all handle users who ask for help in Excel (or similar, application specific questions).

One of the help desk guys got a ticket asking how to setup a formula to do X and Y, and to me that seems like, idk, the job of the person who put in the ticket to figure out? Is that a reasonable position to take?

God I hate being interim manager

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've had someone call a meeting to ask me questions about something for about an hour, and then end the meeting by asking me if I could summarise it all in an email. Lol, no chance.

App13 posted:

One of the help desk guys got a ticket asking how to setup a formula to do X and Y, and to me that seems like, idk, the job of the person who put in the ticket to figure out? Is that a reasonable position to take?

Yeah it's reasonable that your internal IT team aren't people who can know everything about the applications people use. It's like getting a request for Photoshop and then being asked how to use it.

Depending on your company attitude to stuff like this I'd either get the department in question to sign up to some online learning service so it's off your cost centre and isn't taking up time, or really take the piss by insisting all your team need to be trained to an instructor level on all the applications that you're required to support.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Dec 19, 2022

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

It is not your job to do their job. If Excel doesn’t run, that’s you. If Excel doesn’t do the thing they want it to, that’s them unless you’re a devopsy kind of guy and write poo poo for people as a part of your job.

I would politely tell them your team has no expertise in excel functions, cc their boss, and ask said boss to help find a proper resource for the employee who asked.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
It’s rude to schedule meetings period. Don’t assume just cause my calendar is open I’m not napping or playing video games or on a hike

In all seriousness I’ve had outlook and teams blocked from notifying me during non business hours for a while and I have focus time set up from 8-10 every day (I’m in EST and work for a CST company so to my bosses 7-9 isn’t unreasonable). People who i work closely with enough know to ask me during business hours if they can schedule into it, people who don’t get asked why they scheduled into time I blocked off after they ask why I missed a meeting

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

oh rly posted:

I can't be bothered with this kind of behavior these days. I'd probably drop out of the call and tell the organizer he can either replace that guy or me because I'm not working with amateurs or backstabbers.

Life's too short to get wound up in petty/toxic BS like that. If a company thinks that kind of poo poo is ok, i'm not going to be working for them.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

LochNessMonster posted:

I can't be bothered with this kind of behavior these days. I'd probably drop out of the call and tell the organizer he can either replace that guy or me because I'm not working with amateurs or backstabbers.

Life's too short to get wound up in petty/toxic BS like that. If a company thinks that kind of poo poo is ok, i'm not going to be working for them.

100%. That’s entirely inappropriate behavior in a professional setting, and is also amateur hour since time stamps exist.

poo poo like this is why every action I take has an audit trail associated

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

LochNessMonster posted:

:emptyquote:

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Anyone have any experience dealing with an RSI in their mouse hand (between the indix finger and thumb)? I have one that gets progressively worse until the weekend where it goes away, then starts all over again once I start keyboard/mousing again. By Thursday/Friday the pain is pretty significant and I'm not sure what to do besides get robot hands

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Make sure your mouse arm/wrist are in the right ergonomical positions. Then try this Anker vertical mouse. It can take a bit to get used to, so maybe have both mice going for a bit, but for the vast, vast majority of people that I worked with it solved their mouse hand strain issues.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Wireless-Vertical-Ergonomic-Optical/dp/B00BIFNTMC

App13
Dec 31, 2011

+1 for the vertical mouse. World of difference

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

Make sure your mouse arm/wrist are in the right ergonomical positions. Then try this Anker vertical mouse. It can take a bit to get used to, so maybe have both mice going for a bit, but for the vast, vast majority of people that I worked with it solved their mouse hand strain issues.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Wireless-Vertical-Ergonomic-Optical/dp/B00BIFNTMC

That looks awesome thank you

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

In general as soon as it starts aching you need to change your position, don't let it build up over the week. I've been able to manage mine over 25 year career by adjusting my chair/arm/hand position as soon as I feel a twinge. Not needed a vertical mouse.. yet.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Sepist posted:

Anyone have any experience dealing with an RSI in their mouse hand (between the indix finger and thumb)? I have one that gets progressively worse until the weekend where it goes away, then starts all over again once I start keyboard/mousing again. By Thursday/Friday the pain is pretty significant and I'm not sure what to do besides get robot hands

I used to mitigate with a spacer wristband and then moved to a trackball, which solved the issue entirely. Vertical mouse will trigger rsi in my case but maybe that won't do it in your case, good luck.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
You should also do some weight training. Very minimal weight lifting (like 5 minutes a day with cans of beans) can really help with RSI stuff.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

While we’re talking ergo, if you work from home or sit 8+ hours a day, don’t cheap out on your office chair. I was getting all kinds of little pains. Got talked into an Embody (a p big investment of my uncommitted cash) and oh my gently caress I will never go back.

Now I’m the biggest Embody stan on the planet Buy once cry once and have a spine and legs that love you.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I begrudgingly admit that the Polite email generator has its uses. They hired another whole person just to be a ticket cop, they don't have to come into the office like we do, and I really resent people who have only one thing to worry with.

quote:

Our lead time on <hardware> is 6 months. We keep the loving tickets on hold because we have ~100 concurrent projects and it is impossible to keep up otherwise. The reason the ticket is open is clearly documented in the latest update. If you would have read the ticket, you would have known that. How do you suggest we use the ticket system in a manner that is acceptable to you?

quote:

Our lead time on <hardware> is 6 months. To effectively manage our large volume of concurrent projects, we have implemented a system of keeping tickets on hold. The reason for this ticket being open is clearly documented in the latest update, which I invite you to review. We would welcome any suggestions you may have on how we can utilize the ticket system in a way that meets our needs. Thank you for your understanding

It's a timesaver for sure.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

tehinternet posted:

While we’re talking ergo, if you work from home or sit 8+ hours a day, don’t cheap out on your office chair. I was getting all kinds of little pains. Got talked into an Embody (a p big investment of my uncommitted cash) and oh my gently caress I will never go back.

Now I’m the biggest Embody stan on the planet Buy once cry once and have a spine and legs that love you.

I cannot echo this enough. And we even have a chair thread right here in SH/SC!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383243

Also, an electric standup desk (+standing mat) and an easily adjustable monitor mount. IMO, it's really important to be able to adjust how you're working. Human beings weren't meant to be in the same spot all day every day and no matter how "correct" your ergonomics is, you need to be able to move throughout the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

I cannot echo this enough. And we even have a chair thread right here in SH/SC!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383243

Also, an electric standup desk (+standing mat) and an easily adjustable monitor mount. IMO, it's really important to be able to adjust how you're working. Human beings weren't meant to be in the same spot all day every day and no matter how "correct" your ergonomics is, you need to be able to move throughout the day.

That chair thread is gold. The most expensive office chair is nothing compared to back pain or leg pain. Love yourself and get a top tier office chair, it actually matters and will save you money in the long run.