Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Counterpoint: Go right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Well okay then! I present...

Jurassic Park: Edge of Chaos

Come, play!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I like that the T-Rex is having fun on the raft too

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Arist posted:

I like that the T-Rex is having fun on the raft too

I was gonna say pretty much the same thing. :v:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Fedule posted:

No official objections.

i say go for it!

i have done an MSPaint CYOA, a Fighting Fantasy novel, and a game of Diplomacy here in LP. all is welcome.

BackupDancer
Nov 23, 2019

Explain this.
I had an intro post for a Blades of Avernum SSLP typed up and ready to go, then checked the forums and found that another user had started playing Blades of Exile in July. BoA is a remake of BoE with the major differences in mechanics/graphics, and some detail and content changes. I know "there is no rule against multiple, concurrent, or even similar, LPs of the same game," but is it poor form?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

:justpost:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
nah go for it. archaic rule from a different time.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

BackupDancer posted:

I had an intro post for a Blades of Avernum SSLP typed up and ready to go, then checked the forums and found that another user had started playing Blades of Exile in July. BoA is a remake of BoE with the major differences in mechanics/graphics, and some detail and content changes. I know "there is no rule against multiple, concurrent, or even similar, LPs of the same game," but is it poor form?
There was a point close to the Switch launch where there were literally like 3 concurrent Breath of the Wild LPs. Every Final Fantasy, Zelda, Mario, etc. game has like 5 LPs on the archive.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
For what it's worth, I did an Avernum LP at the same time that berryjon was doing their Exile 3 LP, and we pointed our respective audiences at each others' works. I very much doubt they'll mind.

BackupDancer
Nov 23, 2019

Explain this.
Loud and clear, everyone. Come make a character!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

For what it's worth, I did an Avernum LP at the same time that berryjon was doing their Exile 3 LP, and we pointed our respective audiences at each others' works. I very much doubt they'll mind.

And it kicked rear end.

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin
if dark id ever comes back, he should do kingdom hearts.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
I was pretty loving checked out online already on multiple fronts. But starting one more LP and having the company it was by drone striking my Youtube account from 2007 with 23 copyright strikes in a week on mostly unlisted, unmonetized music track videos uploaded 6 years earlier murdered any interest to deal with poo poo again...

gently caress Square-Enix.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

The Dark Id posted:

I was pretty loving checked out online already on multiple fronts. But starting one more LP and having the company it was by drone striking my Youtube account from 2007 with 23 copyright strikes in a week on mostly unlisted, unmonetized music track videos uploaded 6 years earlier murdered any interest to deal with poo poo again...

gently caress Square-Enix.

That's loving dire, holy crap I'm sorry to hear that. :(

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Oof, I've heard it mentioned before but it super sucks. Why companies gotta be such giant assholes.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Been thinking about maybe trying to do an LP for years now, and I even got an idea of trying to do something with Anbennar, the extensive fantasy mod for the paradox mapgame Europa Universalis 4.

Is there a good guide on how to do a first screenshot lp I could look into?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

MonsieurChoc posted:

Been thinking about maybe trying to do an LP for years now, and I even got an idea of trying to do something with Anbennar, the extensive fantasy mod for the paradox mapgame Europa Universalis 4.

I'm not sure if there's a specific guide out there, but here's what I would say is important:

Instead of trying to screenshot as you play, record the entire playthrough with a program like OBS and then screenshot from the video. This means you won't accidentally miss something important while screenshotting and have a video you can use if something lends itself well to a .gif or to an actual short video to upload alongside the screenshots.

Screenshot width should be scaled down to about 900 pixels once screenshotting is over, since that guarantees it won't gently caress up the thread when people are reading it.

If you're using Irfanview to do your image editing, it may also be worth employing the "sharpen" filter on low power when resizing, to keep things legible if the original colour palette and design doesn't keep things very distinct.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
I would also recommend making sure not to delete any of your LP footage until the LP is over, lest you accidentally delete the footage that you're working on at the moment. :shepface:

I'd also say trying to make an update once is a good idea, to get an idea of how a workflow will work so that you can figure out where the difficulty will be. And of course, putting a test post here is always good.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

MonsieurChoc posted:

There have been several Paradox threads/megathreads over the years, it might be worth taking a look at them to get ideas on how to format yours.

Empress Theonora has an excellent LP that's ongoing right now: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3907102

So does Kangxi which looks like it might be resuming soon: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3890740&userid=0&perpage=40&highlight=Paradox&pagenumber=1

Yuiiut started up a campaign recently too: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4010299&userid=0&perpage=40&highlight=Paradox&pagenumber=1

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

There have been several Paradox threads/megathreads over the years, it might be worth taking a look at them to get ideas on how to format yours.

Empress Theonora has an excellent LP that's ongoing right now: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3907102

So does Kangxi which looks like it might be resuming soon: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3890740&userid=0&perpage=40&highlight=Paradox&pagenumber=1

Yuiiut started up a campaign recently too: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4010299&userid=0&perpage=40&highlight=Paradox&pagenumber=1

Thanks for those links! I'll check them out.

I'll also do a test post here when I've got everything organized on my end. Not sure if I should do screenshot or video.

My current plan is to present the setting then have people decide on the region I will play in and I'd have a choice of various countries I think are interesting in that region. Maybe it would be better for me to pre-choose a country in case there isn't a lot of initial interest.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

Thanks for those links! I'll check them out.

I'll also do a test post here when I've got everything organized on my end. Not sure if I should do screenshot or video.

My current plan is to present the setting then have people decide on the region I will play in and I'd have a choice of various countries I think are interesting in that region. Maybe it would be better for me to pre-choose a country in case there isn't a lot of initial interest.

I think I would definitely recommend screenshot for a Paradox game LP.

Also I've yet to see one where, as long as the initial pitch was interesting, there wasn't a glut of votes for country. Though if you have a country in mind you think would absolutely have an interesting narrative, more so than the others, go ahead and pre-pick rather than crossing your fingers that the audience agrees.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

PurpleXVI posted:

Also I've yet to see one where, as long as the initial pitch was interesting, there wasn't a glut of votes for country. Though if you have a country in mind you think would absolutely have an interesting narrative, more so than the others, go ahead and pre-pick rather than crossing your fingers that the audience agrees.

I was planning on listing only regions and nations I find interesting in those polls. Unfortunately, there's a lot!

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

:same:

Paradox games have tons of menuing and detailed decisions, which is interesting to play but can get tedious to read/watch really quickly. Viewers don't really need to see five minutes of you searching through all the women in nearby lands to find the perfect betrothal candidate; just do that all off-screen and show us a couple of the final candidates: "This is Catherine of Flanders, as you can see she's the perfect age, has great stats, and gets us an Alliance with France which will be useful because..."

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Gonna try and write the test post wednesday after work, when I don't have anything else going on.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Looking at the LPs it usually go: first post is intro + index, second post is reserved, third post is first update. So here's my test post, plz advise

Title Pending: An Anbennar EU4 LP

[Insert Anbennar Splash]

I’ve been thinking about doing a Let’s Play for a long time, and I’ve been sinking hundreds of hours into this bad boy so might as well put that time to use!

What is Anbennar?
Anbennar is a fantasy mod for paradox map game Europa Universalis 4. To quote it’s steam page(https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1385440355):
“Anbennar is set in an fantasy world evoking themes from D&D, but through lens and time period of a strategy game like EU4. See how a fantasy world changes from an age of adventurers and good vs. evil to an age of gunpowder, colonialism and magical decadence”
Originally started by one man (JayBean) as a passion project, it now has a fairly big community and a bunch of devs working on it. It’s updates are frankly huge, and in many ways it has more content than base EU4. It has a patreon and even a merch store! (I bought two shirts)
There’s been quite a few Paradox LPs in these forums but Anbennar remains untapped. There’s a lot of stuff in this mod: huge Mission trees, new Religions, new Mechanics, etc.

New Mechanics?
Oh my yes. There’s fantasy races with pop system inspired by Stellaris/Victoria, there’s magic with 8 schools and a mage estate and a special menu for mage rulers, there’s Dwarven Holds and mountain expeditions (complete with special dungeons), there’s artificers and then there’s unique mechanics for certain regions/nations like the Raj or the Sunrise Empire.

So how is this going to go?
I’m going to play one of the nations in this mod as far as I can. I’m decent at this game, but not an expert so I might fumble along the way. Another thing this mod adds are brand new super disasters so that should be fun! I’ll poll the thread for some decisions along the way since there are often branching paths and decisions. Do we tolerate all races or purge the orcs? Do we go with one religion or the other? Playing the same nation twice can often lead to entirely different outcomes! The first big thread decision is going to be the nation I play as.

Wait we choose the country? But we don’t know the setting!
I could have chosen a country myself, but I am weak. There are sooo many fun nations to play! So here’s how it’s going to go: the first poll is going to choose a region to play in. I’m going to list the various continents of the world, with a quick description, and then the thread is gonna choose one that sounds fun. Once that’s done I’ll have a poll of a couple nations that I find fun and interesting and from that we’ll choose what we play as. Easy peasy!

Spoiler Policy
It might sound weird to say “no spoilers!” in a map game, but this isn’t our world history. Some WILD stuff happens in some of the Anbennar Mission Trees and hopefully not everyone who reads this thread will have played the mod. Talking about the lore or mechanics is okay, but saying too much about what happens when you click what seems to be the last Mission of a Tree might spoil some fun surprises.
The first post will be the Setting/Region overview and the first poll.

I'm also having trouble coming up with a title since possible funny ones will change depending on the nation played. Someone suggested "A great deal of ruin in a nation: an Anbennar EU4 LP"

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

MonsieurChoc posted:

Looking at the LPs it usually go: first post is intro + index, second post is reserved, third post is first update. So here's my test post, plz advise

[Insert Anbennar Splash]

I’ve been thinking about doing a Let’s Play for a long time, and I’ve been sinking hundreds of hours into this bad boy so might as well put that time to use!

What is Anbennar?
Anbennar is a fantasy mod for paradox map game Europa Universalis 4. To quote it’s steam page(https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1385440355):
“Anbennar is set in an fantasy world evoking themes from D&D, but through lens and time period of a strategy game like EU4. See how a fantasy world changes from an age of adventurers and good vs. evil to an age of gunpowder, colonialism and magical decadence”
Originally started by one man (JayBean) as a passion project, it now has a fairly big community and a bunch of devs working on it. It’s updates are frankly huge, and in many ways it has more content than base EU4. It has a patreon and even a merch store! (I bought two shirts)
There’s been quite a few Paradox LPs in these forums but Anbennar remains untapped. There’s a lot of stuff in this mod: huge Mission trees, new Religions, new Mechanics, etc.

New Mechanics?
Oh my yes. There’s fantasy races with pop system inspired by Stellaris/Victoria, there’s magic with 8 schools and a mage estate and a special menu for mage rulers, there’s Dwarven Holds and mountain expeditions (complete with special dungeons), there’s artificers and then there’s unique mechanics for certain regions/nations like the Raj or the Sunrise Empire.

I’m going to play one of the nations in this mod as far as I can. I’m decent at this game, but not an expert so I might fumble along the way. Another thing this mod adds are brand new super disasters so that should be fun! I’ll poll the thread for some decisions along the way since there are often branching paths and decisions. Do we tolerate all races or purge the orcs? Do we go with one religion or the other? Playing the same nation twice can often lead to entirely different outcomes! The first big thread decision is going to be the nation I play as.

I could have chosen a country myself, but I am weak. There are sooo many fun nations to play! So here’s how it’s going to go: the first poll is going to choose a region to play in. I’m going to list the various continents of the world, with a quick description, and then the thread is gonna choose one that sounds fun. Once that’s done I’ll have a poll of a couple nations that I find fun and interesting and from that we’ll choose what we play as. Easy peasy!

Spoiler Policy
It might sound weird to say “no spoilers!” in a map game, but this isn’t our world history. Some WILD stuff happens in some of the Anbennar Mission Trees and hopefully not everyone who reads this thread will have played the mod. Talking about the lore or mechanics is okay, but saying too much about what happens when you click what seems to be the last Mission of a Tree might spoil some fun surprises.

I'm also having trouble coming up with a title since possible funny ones will change depending on the nation played. Someone suggested "A great deal of ruin in a nation: an Anbennar EU4 LP"

AWWW YEAH

Frozenmaw? Frozenmaw!

Or do we dare the dream of the Black Sun?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Fivemarks posted:

AWWW YEAH

Frozenmaw? Frozenmaw!

Or do we dare the dream of the Black Sun?

Those are definitely two I could play haha.

Gonna try OBS tonight to get the screenshots for the different regions. Might post the thread tomorrow?

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
It very much depends on the region- The Oni were always a fun playthrough, but Escann might be a good place for an LP

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I got my screenshots, I just wanted a couple more comments before I post the thread to polish the intro.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

MonsieurChoc posted:

[Insert Anbennar Splash]

What is Anbennar?

New Mechanics?

Spoiler Policy

This seems good because you're going in blind, but maybe a wee bit about the lore/races/unique mechanics that are in the game available from the start (like mages, etc)? Or are you planning on explaining them through the LP?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

JosefStalinator posted:

This seems good because you're going in blind, but maybe a wee bit about the lore/races/unique mechanics that are in the game available from the start (like mages, etc)? Or are you planning on explaining them through the LP?

I was but I can move some of that into the intro if you think it flows better.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Remember, you can always edit and update your OP later. It doesn't need to be 110% perfect, and can be a work in progress as the LP develops and you realize that you want to add or subtract something from it to make it better.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Alright I posted the thread. The die is cast!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

Alright I posted the thread. The die is cast!

https://imgur.com/byisnCG

Don't forget to make a most in the "new LP"-thread to make it more visible.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

PurpleXVI posted:

https://imgur.com/byisnCG

Don't forget to make a most in the "new LP"-thread to make it more visible.

Oh right!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Happy Hannukah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

SAVE