Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

Jose Oquendo posted:

I have yet to find a knockoff that feels and looks like the official ones. There's always something slightly off about them.

Yeah, agreed. The knockoff bands I’ve gotten have lugs that don’t sit flush with the watch body, the material feels weird, or the fit is off. But $100 for the sport loop is criminal and I refuse to buy one, so I don’t mind the knockoff versions of those as much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

xzzy posted:

I thought that in one of the case redesigns they got different band channels and old ones stopped fitting. Is that not true?

Or maybe they "fit" but don't sit flush anymore.

I think they've all been forward compatible provided you continued to get the larger or smaller size at any given time, but there's some newer one that won't work with older watches.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

GhostOfTomNook posted:

Yeah, agreed. The knockoff bands I’ve gotten have lugs that don’t sit flush with the watch body, the material feels weird, or the fit is off. But $100 for the sport loop is criminal and I refuse to buy one, so I don’t mind the knockoff versions of those as much.

It's worth mentioning that the weave on the aliexpress bands I linked to goes all the way to the watch hardware, which is something cheaper knockoffs bands don't both to mimic. Whether or not the official Apple bands are worth it are up to you, but I have ~20 knockoffs and only 2 official bands.

Can't wait to use a $14 knockoff watchband on a $800 Apple Watch Ultra.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Thanks for the insights everyone.

A few questions for S8:

What is the difference between these two styles?

* Midnight Aluminum Case with Sport Band (black) vs. Midnight Aluminum Case with Solo Loop (black)

Is it the clasp type or something? Again total noob here.

Separately, I'm considering this type:

* Midnight Aluminum Case with Sport Loop, black simple band maybe like Midnight or one of the Nike ones, will take a look in store.

Of course will eventually decide on one main one then get the band I like 2nd most at the store probably, and overpay an asston. Then explore 3rd party etc.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Inner Light posted:

Thanks for the insights everyone.

A few questions for S8:

What is the difference between these two styles?

* Midnight Aluminum Case with Sport Band (black) vs. Midnight Aluminum Case with Solo Loop (black)

Is it the clasp type or something? Again total noob here.

Separately, I'm considering this type:

* Midnight Aluminum Case with Sport Loop, black simple band maybe like Midnight or one of the Nike ones, will take a look in store.

Of course will eventually decide on one main one then get the band I like 2nd most at the store probably, and overpay an asston. Then explore 3rd party etc.

sport band is silicone with holes in it. solo loop is braided fabric

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I got the Ultra, it’s huge but the battery life is worth it, I got 2ish days on my S6 and I’m getting 3-4 on this. Bought it with a trail loop but quickly replaced with a knockoff alpine loop. The trail loop is a lot stiffer than my old sport loops were and wasn’t comfortable at all. The alpine loop is much more comfy but I did have it pop open while I was doing some work on the boat engine so that was distressing. I got an ocean band too but I haven’t tried it yet because I love the alpine band so much.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

dc3k posted:

sport band is silicone with holes in it. solo loop is braided fabric

Hmmm.... I am trying to determine the differences between these styles:

Here is what I am referring to / seeing for Solo Loop, doesn't seem like braided fabric?

Referring to styles shown lower on page here: https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-watch/apple-watch

That's part of what was confusing me, so many Loops and Solos and Braids and Bands and Sports I'm not sure what they all mean. Death by choice as it were which will be helped with the store visit. But yeah let me know what you think ^

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Sport band had a buckle, while the solo loop is just one piece of stretchy material. The solo loop is way better as long as you get a proper-fitting one. I think the solo loop has a braided material.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Sport band had a buckle, while the solo loop is just one piece of stretchy material. The solo loop is way better as long as you get a proper-fitting one. I think the solo loop has a braided material.

Are you saying the above product photo is wrong with solo loop selected? Where is the braided material in that pic unless I am missing something? Not saying you are mistaken just want to get it right before I go to the store :shobon:

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Dec 11, 2022

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Sorry, I meant to say there was a solo loop and a braided solo loop. 2 different bands. Braided is hilariously $100.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Sorry, I meant to say there was a solo loop and a braided solo loop. 2 different bands. Braided is hilariously $100.

Ok that makes sense thanks and which one is the one most people might get, in terms of stretchy solo loop vs. braided type? Yes $100 is robbery but hey when I'm buying the S8 I at least need to pick a starter band :chaostrump:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

After initially laughing at it, I’m actually considering buying an Ultra to replace my S6 with the notoriously bad battery. Mostly for the extended battery alone. I’m going to da fruit stand to try one on, but had anyone found it just too drat big?

Side note: I bought this knockoff trail loop from Ali Express for like $8 and it actually seems really nice minus the lugs being ever so slightly not a perfect fit for the channels.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Dec 21, 2022

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I thought it was gonna be ridiculous coming from the small size regular watch but I actually love the size, it’s awesome and :perfect:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

As a person that swapped a 44mm for a 41mm because it was too big, maybe I shouldn't offer input but when I tried the ultra a couple weeks ago it felt like strapping a literal brick to my arm. I also didn't like the sharp edges on it.

Biggest concern is there's no way I could have got it under a hockey glove to track how slow I am on the ice. It's a thick watch.

But the guy at the store helping me had an ultra on and said he adjusted to it after a few days and could never go back.

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

I’ve had all different sizes over the years and while the ultra is a bit thicker, for general daily use I could never go back.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Thanks for the input all. I am definitely going to be trying to cram it under a hockey glove if I get one :v:

The Garmins ibises to use for running, until I replaced them with an Apple Watch, we’re probably even bigger than the Ultra. But yeah, the thickness is probably what I’m worried about. Checking it out today in the store.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

After initially laughing at it, I’m actually considering buying an Ultra to replace my S6 with the notoriously bad battery. Mostly for the extended battery alone. I’m going to da fruit stand to try one on, but had anyone found it just too drat big?

Side note: I bought [url= https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004830368445.html]this[/url] knockoff trail loop from Ali Express for like $8 and it actually seems really nice minus the lugs being ever so slightly not a perfect fit for the channels.

I tried it on and I thought it was perfect for me and I’ll be getting one.

I’d definitely suggest trying it on though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I tried it on at the store and it seemed way too big for me, and I'm by no means a small person. Obviously opinions will vary, so give it a try.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Thanks for the input all. I am definitely going to be trying to cram it under a hockey glove if I get one :v:

The Garmins ibises to use for running, until I replaced them with an Apple Watch, we’re probably even bigger than the Ultra. But yeah, the thickness is probably what I’m worried about. Checking it out today in the store.

Get it just so you can wear it while playing hockey. Post the step graphs for your games.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

Get it just so you can wear it while playing hockey. Post the step graphs for your games.

It ain't complimentary.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I let my Hockey Tracker sub expire so I don’t get the fancy graphs like xzzy anymore , but here’s one game. I usually skate about a mile (estimates by the app based on gyros/accels) if we have 3 forward lines, and around 1.25mi if we only have 2.

Then we put back 1500 cals of beer afterward :v:

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

I tried it on at the store and it seemed way too big for me, and I'm by no means a small person. Obviously opinions will vary, so give it a try.

I'm around 6ft and my wrists are 170cm which apparently puts me in the weird grey area where either the 41 or the 44mm watches apparently fit. I ended up going for the 41mm because I felt like I could wear it more as an item of clothing that'd suit my own fashion sense and it'd look less like a big dorky slab of tablet on my wrist. The 41mm was also the same lugsize as my mechanical watch, which has now gone into retirement save for fancy occasions.

Although I do really like it and will probs stick with it (not least because it's significantly cheaper than the 44mm watch), the one thing that's given me pause which I think it's probably useful for people to know, is that I've come to realise that its very non-watchlike design means that even the smaller size is really unsubtle, and it will always look like a chunk of tablet on your wrist - so if I had the cash I probably would have just gone for the bigger one anyway. Its not like something like the Pixel watch, which is the same size as the smaller Apple watch but also a very sleek design, so it all kind of works sartorially. You'll always look like a bit of a doofus with an Apple watch, so maybe it's worth going full doofus with the big boy if you can afford it.

That said, I still reckon I can dress this thing up with the right band. It's the dark green aluminium S7, and I'm all ears if anyone has some good recommendations for nice bands.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Grumbles posted:

I'm around 6ft and my wrists are 170cm
Are you like 1000 lbs?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I got a 67 inch wrist and apple wont make anything that fits me

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Are you like 1000 lbs?

Metre and a half. Fuckin tree trunks

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I got a 67 inch wrist and apple wont make anything that fits me

Fuckin' cowards

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Picked up an Ultra today. It’s big, but I think it definitely wears smaller than the dimensions suggest. I’ll probably keep it. It’s also the first product I’ve ever purchased Apple care on.

Now we see if it fits under a hockey glove…

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I didn’t see anything in the OP, so is there a recommended charging station to support an iPhone an Apple Watch?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Really wish my watch would stop logging 'stand' dots when I've got sleep mode on. Figure it out, watch. That's just me flailing around in my sleep.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

xzzy posted:

Really wish my watch would stop logging 'stand' dots when I've got sleep mode on. Figure it out, watch. That's just me flailing around in my sleep.

This is how you find out you sleepwalk

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

nwin posted:

I didn’t see anything in the OP, so is there a recommended charging station to support an iPhone an Apple Watch?

Belkin has a lot of options but it can get pricey.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

nwin posted:

I use this as it also does my AirPods. I really like it.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/...2ee84122cdea71b

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

nwin posted:

If you want something more compact than the Belkin Yeast suggested, there is the Anker 3-in-1: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/HQ3E2LL/A/anker-3-in-1-cube-with-magsafe

The only other options with support for both iPhone and Watch wireless fast charging are stand/docks that just hold the Apple magsafe pucks. Such as the Spigen MagFit: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08T6S9CHC/

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeast posted:

I use this as it also does my AirPods. I really like it.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/...2ee84122cdea71b

Amazon has what I think is the same thing, but 10% off:
https://smile.amazon.com/Belkin-MagSafe-Wireless-Certified-Charging/dp/B09WD9DMQK

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

nwin posted:

i can recommend this magsafe one from nomad, but it’s also pricey and doesn’t even come with a charging brick. There didn’t seem to be any good cheap options when i looked, just chinese pseudo-brands of questionable quality.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
I wasn’t even looking but now you jerks are going to make me spend $150 :v:

Buying tomorrow.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Welp, I’m currently at 65% battery on my Ultra after a full day with an hour workout. Typically I’d have to charge my S5/6 at 5pm and end the day at 5-10%.

I stuck my hand into my pool to clean the skimmer and it automatically turned on the water lock and gave me the depth and water temperature app. It also did the same thing when I was giving my toddlers a bath tonight.

The Wayfinder face rules too. I prefer analog faces that can show me a bunch of info and this is perfect.

Ultra owns.

No one quote me in the announcement GDT where I made fun of it, thanks.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Dec 20, 2022

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm actually kind of bummed I didn't give it more of a serious look when I went in to grab at the S8. I've been eyeing it lately and it looks really nice, isn't as massive as I first worried. No regrets with the S8 but I do think I like the LOOK of the Ultra more and more as time goes on. That line will definitely be on my radar when it's time to retire the S8 in a few years.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Welp, I’m currently at 65% battery on my Ultra after a full day with an hour workout. Typically I’d have to charge at 5pm and end the day at 5-10%.
IDK what you're doing then. I never have to charge mid-day unless I put it on the charger wrong overnight or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

IDK what you're doing then. I never have to charge mid-day unless I put it on the charger wrong overnight or something.

My watch batteries were cursed on my 5 and 6. :iiam:

Honestly, I’m half-thinking there’s something janky with my backup that I’ve carried forward since like iOS 3, through a hundred betas. I really need to do a clean install, but setting up 100 apps, losing progress in games, and setting up all my work stuff again isn’t something I really want to spend the time doing.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Dec 20, 2022