Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

That does track too. Guess I’ll add COVID to the pile of reasons the Leafs have lost in the first round

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Skinner signed at 3x2.6 million which is pretty great.

It'd be nice to have a backup making less than 5 million for him!!!

That is a sweet deal for the Oilers.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

drat
Couturier, Ellis, and Atkinson are almost $20 million of dead capspace

I feel bad for the players and fans. Injuries are not cool.

But Chuck, how does it feel being 10+ million of empty cap space. Lols.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
I hope Chuck trades for EK.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

JT Miller is the cure for the Philly doldrums.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Koopa Kid posted:

https://twitter.com/MapleLeafs/status/1604884366684987397?s=20&t=xIpizjNoebZBtZOwl784tQ
Uh, ok? I was never a fan of Malgin but Dryden Hunt appears to legitimately suck. The Leafs made a big deal of keeping Malgin on the team after camp and he’s been playing with Tavares so this seems weird in a couple ways.

Hunt is fine if he's on the 4th line. Ask anything more of him and yes, he sucks.

Vesey has been a huge upgrade over him.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
I would read this as a mix between a courtesy trade and Malgin washing out of the lineup. If the Leafs don't think Malgin can play in the bottom six (reasonable), then Hunt probably does leave the lineup however incrementally better.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

rex rabidorum vires posted:

I hope Chuck trades for EK.

Doesn't he have a NTC

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Doesn't he have a NTC

NMC

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

I would read this as a mix between a courtesy trade and Malgin washing out of the lineup. If the Leafs don't think Malgin can play in the bottom six (reasonable), then Hunt probably does leave the lineup however incrementally better.

I guess they’re going with Jarnkrok on the second line moving forward, and then Hunt basically just replaces Simmonds/Anderson/whoever whenever they choose to rotate those guys in.

Holmberg weirdly took Jarnkrok’s job, resulting in Jarnkrok taking Malgin’s job. Not really how I saw that going down but the result is fine.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Guess who was the NHL’s second star for the week?

You guessed it.

https://twitter.com/dimfilipovic/status/1604885544357728256?s=46&t=GjIS71mKE7mXLUUenWMc-w

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Pretty great that Eichel forced himself off that team and then they just had another crazy huge American goal scorer develop out of nowhere

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Koopa Kid posted:

Pretty great that Eichel forced himself off that team and then they just had another crazy huge American goal scorer develop out of nowhere

They signed Tage for a modest long-term contract and he immediately started to outperform it. Incredible luck tbh

Buffalo sports writers were boldly predicting he would break the 40 goal mark this season and it turned out those might have been conservative estimates. It’s not even exaggerating to say he has a shot at winning the Rocket Richard lol and if the Sabres start getting league average goaltending and their defense stays healthy, they might even make the playoffs!

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
I love that I was so wrong about Tage. he rules

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

he is incredibly loving sick. his one-timer form is insane for a guy that big. so smooth. to have that abe his hands…crazy

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Koopa Kid posted:

i said it recently but if the NHL doesn’t figure out how to play some international games in the next 1-3 years I’m gonna be pissed. Team USA has a window here for being better than Canada for the first time ever. Once Canada has Bedard and if they ever develop a top flight G again, it’ll still be razor close.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/JacketsInsider/status/1604878779406499840?t=erXNH_5mdjF7LjiNqLE5lQ&s=19

:tif:

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

ehh they'll still beat Dallas, Laine and Gaudreau always light the Stars up.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

What's the modern record for fewest standings points in a season? Is it the Avs with 47

e: with the loser point and no expansion teams

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 19, 2022

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

What's the modern record for fewest standings points in a season? Is it the Avs with 47

code:
 	Team 			Year 	Record
1 	Washington Capitals 	1975 	8-67-5
2 	Philadelphia Quakers 	1931 	4-36-4
3 	San Jose Sharks 	1993 	11-71-2
4 	Ottawa Senators 	1993 	10-70-4
5 	Pittsburgh Pirates 	1930 	5-36-3

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

e: with the loser point and no expansion teams

Avs had 48 points in 2016-2017, thank you very much :colbert:. And yes that is the worst record for a non-expansion team for a full season where there was a loser point.

However, over 71 games, the 2019-2020 Red Wings were on pace for 45 until covid shortened it. 0.275 points percentage vs. the Avs 2016-2017 season having 0.293 points percentage.

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

Jhet posted:

There was a goal waved off immediately a few weeks ago and people were cheering for for like 20 seconds. There'd probably be three dozen people booing Bettman if he were there. They just don't know any better.

Absolutely beautiful goal from Eberle would have been nice to see in person.

This was absolutely all time. You knew it was going to get waved off as soon as they showed the replay but that didn't stop the majority of the arena from getting it wrong. I assume these are the same people who yell GRUUUUUUU at every save regardless of who's in net for the Kraken.

That Eberle goal was sick as hell though, I think it caught just about everyone off guard when it went in.

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

need to bring back Peter Puck

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

.Spec posted:

This was absolutely all time. You knew it was going to get waved off as soon as they showed the replay but that didn't stop the majority of the arena from getting it wrong. I assume these are the same people who yell GRUUUUUUU at every save regardless of who's in net for the Kraken.

That Eberle goal was sick as hell though, I think it caught just about everyone off guard when it went in.

Or the drunk guy who yells shoot when the puck is at the blue line and they don’t even have possession.

I’m glad people are having fun, but it does sort of ruin things when everyone jumps up and starts high fiving and I’m just sitting there because it was clearly not ever a goal.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Hand Knit posted:

Malgin was fine in the bottom six though. No, he wasn't producing but his fancy stats are good, he forechecks and isn't lazy or anything.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/andrewhammond30/status/1604935555850051585

Godspeed, Hammy

someone post the hamburglar/senator TV transition logo one more time

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

fermun posted:

Avs had 48 points in 2016-2017, thank you very much :colbert:. And yes that is the worst record for a non-expansion team for a full season where there was a loser point.

However, over 71 games, the 2019-2020 Red Wings were on pace for 45 until covid shortened it. 0.275 points percentage vs. the Avs 2016-2017 season having 0.293 points percentage.

Hawks going to get real close to this record this year.

What is the lowest GF in a full season? I feel like that one might be in reach too. :v:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

Hawks going to get real close to this record this year.

What is the lowest GF in a full season? I feel like that one might be in reach too. :v:

For an 82 game season, at least for as far back as your grandfather can remember, it appears to be 151 by the 1997-98 Lightning, led by the great Paul Ysebaert. The Blackhawks are on pace for 186, which might be at least as impressively bad given the disparity between 2023 and 1998 scoring levels.

e: league average in 1997-98 was 216 goals, the Lightning were at 70% of average. So far this year we're on course for an average of 259 goals, putting the Blackhawks at 72% of average. It's close! The 1997-98 average would put a team today in 27th place in goals scored, between the Canadiens and the Jackets.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 19, 2022

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

code:
 	Team 			Year 	Record

Shout out to Jamie Baker, whose name is imprinted in my memory, and who I assumed was an actual good player.

DJExile posted:

https://twitter.com/andrewhammond30/status/1604935555850051585

Godspeed, Hammy

someone post the hamburglar/senator TV transition logo one more time

Looking at his career, I didn't realize he really didn't play too much after that one great rookie season. In 24 games, he ended up with Vezina and Hart votes that season, but no Calder votes.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

For an 82 game season, at least for as far back as your grandfather can remember, it appears to be 151 by the 1997-98 Lightning, led by the great Paul Ysebaert. The Blackhawks are on pace for 186, which might be at least as impressively bad given the disparity between 2023 and 1998 scoring levels.

e: league average in 1997-98 was 216 goals, the Lightning were at 70% of average. So far this year we're on course for an average of 259 goals, putting the Blackhawks at 72% of average. It's close! The 1997-98 average would put a team today in 27th place in goals scored, between the Canadiens and the Jackets.

Selfquote to add: the record is actually 150 by the 2013-14 Sabres. That was 68.4% of the league average for goals scored that year, which is just barely eked out by the 2019-20 Red Wings at 68.3%. Those are the lowest numbers I found going back to 1990. There are probably lower totals as a percentage of league average the first couple years of the first expansion but I didn't check, who cares.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

code:
 	Team 			Year 	Record

My dad still has the Ottawa newspaper headline “Maybe Rome Was Built In A Day?” when the Sens won their first ever game in 1993 before going 9-70-4 the rest of the way lol

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

The Dirty Burger posted:

My dad still has the Ottawa newspaper headline “Maybe Rome Was Built In A Day?” when the Sens won their first ever game in 1993 before going 9-70-4 the rest of the way lol

I just looked, and they went 0-20-1 over their next 21 games. Absolute dogshit.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Who the hell was coaching that clown show, I bet he never coached in the NHL again

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
All the pain was worth it for Alex Daigle though

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
im not a betting man, but i would put all my money on Ovie passing Howe tonight against the wings.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Matt Zerella posted:

Hunt is fine if he's on the 4th line. Ask anything more of him and yes, he sucks.

Vesey has been a huge upgrade over him.

It's a real weird trade for the Avs, and just kind of seems like they are doing a solid for Hunt. Presumably they moved him because they are happy with Meyers, Foudy and Hudon and want to keep those 3 around as guys start coming back from IR. But, I don't get the point of getting Malgin back in return.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

We used to have an Alex Daigle rookie card floating around. Ah memories.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Eric the Mauve posted:

Who the hell was coaching that clown show, I bet he never coached in the NHL again

I forgot Bowness was the coach of the current Winnipeg Jets, after having coached and played for the original Winnipeg Jets, as well as playing for the Atlanta Flames.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/BlueJacketsPR/status/1604983353022742529?t=ee08QhRA5miBWIXWwgigVw&s=19

Johnny.

clean ayers act posted:

im not a betting man, but i would put all my money on Ovie passing Howe tonight against the wings.

Need to have someone monitoring Ken Daniels for a wellness check if this happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Shoulda done it when they played the Devils.