Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Vizuyos posted:

The damage transfer is instant - it goes to whatever his hand is touching at the exact moment the attack hits. As far as we know, he can't save it up and discharge it later. That pretty much means it has to be automatic.

Yeah Terebellum pushed Soufflé away from him cause she was holding onto his left arm so damage would have transferred to her if he got stabbed there.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Dec 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's curious how if hinrigh had chosen to put a knife through someone else's head while they were all sitting down they would have likely died normally. he chose the only wrong target in a room full of people. why were they so confident before terebellum went into action?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's curious how if hinrigh had chosen to put a knife through someone else's head while they were all sitting down they would have likely died normally. he chose the only wrong target in a room full of people. why were they so confident before terebellum went into action?

Not expecting projectiles I guess. Matvere seemed curious about taking damage. (Also his face suddenly got way more detailed, I was not sure it was him, but from checking it has to be. It even said the same thing about him being the "organ"

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Makes sense for why Terebellum got targeted first. He's a big dude and the closest to the door along with Gelato. I doubt they weren't expecting projectile weapons as Hinrigh already used knives when interrogating the old man's doppelganger, so maybe it is related to this Organ role they were talking about and they really are planning on using Matvere as some kind of scapegoat for harm done to the family. Terebellum was just fortunate to already have a damage negation power of his own so Matvere didn't have to blow the whistle on the whole thing there and then.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i really do like terrebellum's hatsu, though. it's so simple and powerful at first glance, but he'd have a lot of trouble fighting anyone alone. there's just so many variables in how its use could play out.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The official version, btw
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1015210

It's funny how Togashi not only tells they are amateurs, he also shows it. The girl touches Terebellum carelessly, putting in danger her life. The 'organ' guy gives a clue of his importance, the lawyer gets distracted in the middle of a dangerous situation and has to be reminded of his own power and between him and the girl, they reveal Terebellum's ability in 10 seconds, tops.

I think this sub-arc will be Togashi showing how being gifted a power isn't worth it, skipping all the training and creation process means you don't have the base combat ability, the hyper awareness of your surroundings, the practice of thinking on your toes against unexpected situations, etc

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Turin Turambar posted:

The official version, btw
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1015210

It's funny how Togashi not only tells they are amateurs, he also shows it. The girl touches Terebellum carelessly, putting in danger her life. The 'organ' guy gives a clue of his importance, the lawyer gets distracted in the middle of a dangerous situation and has to be reminded of his own power and between him and the girl, they reveal Terebellum's ability in 10 seconds, tops.

I think this sub-arc will be Togashi showing how being gifted a power isn't worth it, skipping all the training and creation process means you don't have the base combat ability, the hyper awareness of your surroundings, the practice of thinking on your toes against unexpected situations, etc

You know, I bet if you harm him with something that is touching both his left and right hands at the same time he can't redirect it

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it only works at close range if he has full control over how he touches other people at all times. but there's no way to guarantee that, so it's insanely risky and not very well conceived. it's a chaotic wild card power and that's great!

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Turin Turambar posted:

"Worth it" is not quite the right phrase. I believe everyone in that hideout is a castaway who found purpose in Morena, so while not individually "worth it," Morena has essentially gathered a decent army of Nen users from lay people who can repel very strong Nen users.

Contrary to the Hunter Association where most members are autonomous, these family members are exploring the exploit of having devoted members or soldiers as Nen users where strong Nen abilities can have constraints for the individual but is still worthwhile to the group.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Without nen nobunaga would have butchered them all in under twenty seconds. Seems worth it to me!

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
As it is, if he goes off and fetches Franklin, it might take considerably less time than that, should the two of them roll up to that door again.

The family really is way out of their depth, and they sort of know it, but they're high on their own new supply, too.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

it only works at close range if he has full control over how he touches other people at all times. but there's no way to guarantee that, so it's insanely risky and not very well conceived. it's a chaotic wild card power and that's great!

See, I've seen a comparable kind of really niche damage negation power work in other series. But the exact way it works was with this a guy who can negate ability used on him as long as one of his hands is touching the ground. When he first gets it he's useless and basically just manages to stay alive by becoming incredibly immobile and crouching to the ground. But he shows back up later on having learned Capoeira so he can flip around and use his legs to fight while also being able to leverage his invulnerability. But I can't see Terebellum starting to break dance in the middle of a fight because in the world of HxH, that kind of movement is just not respected or viable.

So the end result is a pretty fun ability and I think the fact that absorbed damage is still sent to his arm regardless of the location the wound originally would be, at least if he takes someone else's damage, is a solid wrinkle. But unless he can use his own clothes to at least be a temporary offset he really is limited in how quickly and efficiently he can respond to damage. So far only Luini and Voconte have the best abilities in the bunch.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Can he just carry around a stick or a ferret or something?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

No Wave posted:

Without nen nobunaga would have butchered them all in under twenty seconds. Seems worth it to me!

Fair enough. Not the correct term, true.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Nobunaga sure doesn't seem upset at losing his sword to that pack of amateurs. Makes me wonder if he's got one more trick up his sleeve.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

amigolupus posted:

Nobunaga sure doesn't seem upset at losing his sword to that pack of amateurs. Makes me wonder if he's got one more trick up his sleeve.

Now that Nobunaga is alone and without his sword, if Hisoka did not listen to Hinrigh's request, this looks like the perfect time for Hisoka to strike.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Flair posted:

Now that Nobunaga is alone and without his sword, if Hisoka did not listen to Hinrigh's request, this looks like the perfect time for Hisoka to strike.
It'd be deeply cruel of Togashi to kill off Nobunaga without ever showing his ability, so this will probably happen.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Hinrigh will probably just give him a new sword.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
nobunaga's an enhancer. he could probably use a stick as a replacement.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

nobunaga's an enhancer. he could probably use a stick as a replacement.
I mean his scabbard is still right there and we saw him recreate the tip of his blade after it had been warped away. He'll easily be killing people with just that. Also, and I spoil this image even though it has been 6 years so if you haven't watched season 1 of Thunderbolt Fantasy. Turn back now and go watch it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Brought To You By posted:

I mean his scabbard is still right there and we saw him recreate the tip of his blade after it had been warped away. He'll easily be killing people with just that. Also, and I spoil this image even though it has been 6 years so if you haven't watched season 1 of Thunderbolt Fantasy. Turn back now and go watch it.

Huh what are you talking about the tip is gone for the sword the rest of the chapter after he stabs the Lawyer.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Huh what are you talking about the tip is gone for the sword the rest of the chapter after he stabs the Lawyer.

He appears to have recreated the tip of his sword with transmutation, not conjuration, if that was the point of confusion.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Brought To You By posted:

He appears to have recreated the tip of his sword with transmutation, not conjuration, if that was the point of confusion.

Oh, I thought you meant he grew the metal blade back.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Yeah I've wondered about it, didn't even seem phased. Losing his combat effectiveness just by losing his sword would be a pretty big downside, so in my head he doesn't need it but just, like, really likes it or something :shobon: It does seem like a pretty run of the mill sword so maybe he just takes whatever new sword he gets whenever this happens.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
It could also have just been a reflex, but Nobunaga does make a motion like he's grabbing for his sword when Hinrigh warps into room 3101 at the end of this chapter. Although in my head he also could have been grabbing his scabbard to prepare to use that as a weapon if some Heil-ly had the stones to follow him. In either case, he does seem unphased that he lost his sword despite the initial reason we got all this was him going to get his weapon.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Not sure what's going with the official translation but I'm noticing some small issues. Last chapter there was this exchange which makes more sense in the TCB scanlations since Nobunaga is referring to honorifics there:

And in this chapter the "Trap in the door is confirmed" line also makes more sense in the TCB version.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

mangaplus/VIZ TLs tend to be poorly edited, unfortunately

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

And here it is
https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1605448636569190405

Let's hope the wait is short.

In chapter 400 the Princes will return, btw.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
it's not likely to be a 4 year hiatus at least since the next 10 are well under way and this was already expected

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

lih posted:

it's not likely to be a 4 year hiatus at least since the next 10 are well under way and this was already expected

The interesting thing is that it seems HxH leaves being officially a 'weekly' series (stupid it was still considered weekly but whatever)
https://twitter.com/TheHxHSource/status/1605431262285553664

So maybe now it will be monthly, instead of 'year of hiatus, 10 weekly chapters, another year of hiatus'

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
That sounds positive overall I think.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Turin Turambar posted:

So maybe now it will be monthly, instead of 'year of hiatus, 10 weekly chapters, another year of hiatus'

I hope it's some schedule besides weekly. SJ has had success with other series that follow a monthly schedule or a healthier schedule.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

whatever it is I hope it's consistent. every other week, monthly, just give me something to count on Togashi please

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Daily. It's gonna be a 3 panel newspaper comic.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The first yearly manga

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there's already a gimmick manga that releases a single page each year. i think it is 5 pages or so in?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

From Reddit, worthy link
https://www.reddit.com/r/HunterXHunter/comments/zsphlm/animated_troupe_vs_heily_from_chapters_394399/

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Chapter 400
https://onepiecechapters.com/chapters/5581/hunter-x-hunter-chapter-400

drat Togashi, layers upon layers here.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
So my thoughs are that Kacho is actually just dead dead and her nen beast just has all her memories copied over. Then again, If someone like Hanzo were to die while possessing a doppelganger and post mortem nen activated, wouldn't that result in the same situation we have here? It's just troubling to think about how the inverse situation would work with Fuugetsu being the conjured double since it would mean [Season of Two] can soul jack or copy all of Fuugetsu's memories in that instant. This is now the third time of a seemingly conjured object phasing through matter in this arc. Either Togashi is continuing to broaden what rules conjured objects can have or the flickering I observed in Hanzo's ability indicates some emissions component to this which I think is more logical.

Also, never trusted the Ministry dude before and certainly don't trust him now. Even if he's not manipulating himself to keep his composure and thoughts restrained, he's way too fast on trying to expunge other princes for a guy who should be utterly neutral.

Fuugetsu crushes me this chapter. I think like Maryam she's aware her sister is dead and on top of that it looks like Camilla did have one of her untouchables launch a curse. And since Camilla hasn't sent anyone to interrogate Melody I assume they are sticking with the plan to just feel out any exorcists in the hunter's association has onboard.

Finally, a pre-emptive RIP to my thoughts surrounding the user of Silent Majority. If Longhi is the 4th and final of the hidden nen users, and doubting that Togashi made Furykov wrong on this, then Mushaho doesn't meet one of the main requirements for being the puppeteer. However Longhi doesn't either as more questions pile up about the motive for attacking Woble's room when by virtue of being affiliated with a prince of the 2nd queen, other targets would be and more important. At the very least targeting Zhang who is the son of the third queen as Tubeppa has an extreme anger for her older siblings. So Longhi is either operating on her own prerogatives or Silent Majority's user was never in the class at all. Both Longhi and the SM user are probably manipulators going off Melody's statement that manipulators often present themselves as being unpowered. So there's still more intrigue to be had....in another 4 years :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Chapter 400 spoilers:

-The princess is another castle! I mean, Deck! The Hei-Ly base is really in Tier 2, not in Tier 3 where they were appearing. Now, I'm a bit lost when Nobunaga says there is no 'casus belli' for the war, as this was started by Heily killing lots of the other mafia members, and civs too.
-Feitan saying 'Nobunaga is a sucke for a good enemy' killed me, because the Spiders are a fan-favorite of HxH readers.
-what can it be the 'emergency announcemnt'? The application of martial law? This could tie with the explanation we have later about the state of martial law, and possible coup d'etat from the army.
-Togashi is fleshing out groups with slim chances, like Tyson. They even have now a play to do, use the book with the king.
-I'm surprised Kacho's mother knows she is dead. I guess Kacho's new form/ghost direclty tell her? 'Hi, I'm dead?' She is col as heck, too. I thought it was almost like an identical clone and no one would know. It seems her death is more public than I thought, as they are planning to use it to confuse people.
-In any case, Kacho/Fuu faction is also readying for war, forming a plan. Togashi trying to make the battle more contested, when before it seemed only the first four Prince were worth our time. Alas, Melody isn't a cold blooded killer.
-Another interesting wrinkle in the story is 'Metronome-kun' who declares here love fore Melody, but his heart is too calm, he may being manipulated.
-What does he give to Steiner?
-Kacho's death may have powered up Fuu's ability. Now she can make the return's door to appear by herself.
-What the hell is happening with Fuugetsu. It seems Kacho existing drains her aura, that may be a factor. But given Melody's suprise, there is something more. Maybe a part of her knows, subconcisouly, that Kacho is dead. It's possible that the news of her being on detention in another deck got out, and Camilla's 'death curser' attacked, and this is the result. Remember they said they would have to be somewhat close, or the effect of the curse would be too slow.
-And finally, maybe in the next batch we will have Tubeppa's faction being presented.