Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/1604678612191514627?s=20&t=sApdOeUILSKWJ1EIThBhTQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
I take more consideration before sending out a minor upgrade alert (with no expected effect for users and otherwise invisible to them) than Twitter currently uses with its policy making.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Cinco presents Nostr, the convenient way to organise your social media! Just input the handy 64 number Nostr routing number into your Nostr box, and wait for your Nostr profile to be printed on any dot matrix printer! Nostr is a powerful social media platform, which is why it can get warm, but that's no worry because each Nostr box comes with a tube of special Cinco soothing gel!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

That Italian Guy posted:

I take more consideration before sending out a minor upgrade alert (with no expected effect for users and otherwise invisible to them) than Twitter currently uses with its policy making.

It's sort of like that political cartoon of Obama with two big switches on his desk for controlling gas prices and the economy except it's real and Musk is just wildly slamming them back and forth.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Put dril in charge of Twitter.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Put dril in charge of Twitter.

https://www.twitter.com/dril/status/922321981

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
This won't matter, but it's extremely funny.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I can believe he’s being pressured by shareholders of his other ventures to stop loving around and appoint a professional to run twitter. I can also believe he’s miserable 100% of the time because twitter is sinking and can’t be saved.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I AM GRANDO posted:

I can believe he’s being pressured by shareholders of his other ventures to stop loving around and appoint a professional to run twitter. I can also believe he’s miserable 100% of the time because twitter is sinking and can’t be saved.

Also worth noting: Twitter is sinking because he blew several dozen holes in it and continues to do it every time anyone suggests patching one of those holes.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Looks like who Musk puts in charge won't matter. In Musk's own words, Twitter has been in a bankruptcy state since May and he's looking at ending the company
https://twitter.com/richsignorelli/status/1604637381696552960?t=qLdWPjaJsV9bb6X_KQ6bxw&s=19

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Young Freud posted:

Looks like who Musk puts in charge won't matter. In Musk's own words, Twitter has been in a bankruptcy state since May and he's looking at ending the company
https://twitter.com/richsignorelli/status/1604637381696552960?t=qLdWPjaJsV9bb6X_KQ6bxw&s=19

Gee I wonder what happened in May that caused this? Oh, right :elongate:

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Dec 19, 2022

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Also worth noting: Twitter is sinking because he blew several dozen holes in it and continues to do it every time anyone suggests patching one of those holes.

Companies like Twitter have never made money and never will. They only stay afloat by scamming money from venture capitalists.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Dec 19, 2022

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Clarste posted:

Companies like Twitter have never made money and never will. They only stay afloat by scamming money from venture capitalists.

I recall they actually broke even for a while. Also you can scam VCs for a surprisingly long time and there was no sign Twitter couldn't continue doing that right up until Elon musked everything up.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I recall they actually broke even for a while. Also you can scam VCs for a surprisingly long time and there was no sign Twitter couldn't continue doing that until Elon musked everything up.

Even if by some miracle a tech company DOES make money by actually selling a product (ads), that itself is only done by scamming corporations of online ad money which has never been proven to actually work as well as executives assume it does. The internet economy is entirely supported by people with too much money paying big bucks for things with no value.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Young Freud posted:

unfortunately this is just not true, there is no way that elon would put twitter into chapter 11

the basic reason is that until he does, he controls twitter, and he can use that power to force the banks to (a) give him a release of all claims; (b) let him keep some of his equity.

it is also not clear that twitter would be worth less than the debt if musk was not in charge (it is one thing to own and control twitter, it is another thing to effectively own it but have elon musk control it, which is part of why the debt trades at such a discount) so he'd make an effort to sell it for some amount over the debt first

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Young Freud posted:

Musk has been threatening Twitter bankruptcy constantly since he bought it. It's just bluster.

It's one of his management tactics. The threat of bankruptcy is one of his favorite sticks. He tells people that they have to accept his whims uncritically and do whatever he wants without complaining, because only he and his grand plans can save the company from bankruptcy. It "motivates" staff with a sense of impending crisis to justify his crunchtime demands, it convinces investors and stakeholders that maybe his sudden drastic changes are necessary, and when the threatened bankruptcy doesn't happen he can claim it's because his genius moves saved the company.

He said it to Twitter staff after the buyout, insisting that they had to accept the massive layoffs and "hardcore" scheduling demands or else Twitter would go bankrupt. But he's used that threat frequently at his other companies too. At the end of 2021, he told SpaceX employees that SpaceX faced a "risk of bankruptcy" if it couldn't meet a Starship launch rate of "once every two weeks" in 2022...and then demanded that everyone cancel their Thanksgiving vacations and return to the office immediately to do crunchtime on engine production issues. Well, we're at the end of 2022, and Starship's launch rate this year was zero, yet bankruptcy is nowhere to be seen. It was likely just an empty threat to convince employees that canceling Thanksgiving was actually necessary and not just Elon's whim. He's done similar things at Tesla a few times too. "The company will collapse if you don't cancel all your vacations and start sleeping on the factory floor till this project is done" really just seems to be his way of motivating the workforce.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Main Paineframe posted:

Musk has been threatening Twitter bankruptcy constantly since he bought it. It's just bluster.

It's one of his management tactics. The threat of bankruptcy is one of his favorite sticks. He tells people that they have to accept his whims uncritically and do whatever he wants without complaining, because only he and his grand plans can save the company from bankruptcy. It "motivates" staff with a sense of impending crisis to justify his crunchtime demands, it convinces investors and stakeholders that maybe his sudden drastic changes are necessary, and when the threatened bankruptcy doesn't happen he can claim it's because his genius moves saved the company.

He said it to Twitter staff after the buyout, insisting that they had to accept the massive layoffs and "hardcore" scheduling demands or else Twitter would go bankrupt. But he's used that threat frequently at his other companies too. At the end of 2021, he told SpaceX employees that SpaceX faced a "risk of bankruptcy" if it couldn't meet a Starship launch rate of "once every two weeks" in 2022...and then demanded that everyone cancel their Thanksgiving vacations and return to the office immediately to do crunchtime on engine production issues. Well, we're at the end of 2022, and Starship's launch rate this year was zero, yet bankruptcy is nowhere to be seen. It was likely just an empty threat to convince employees that canceling Thanksgiving was actually necessary and not just Elon's whim. He's done similar things at Tesla a few times too. "The company will collapse if you don't cancel all your vacations and start sleeping on the factory floor till this project is done" really just seems to be his way of motivating the workforce.

to be fair tesla was on the cusp of collapse a lot of times and was probably saved by accounting fraud

the real question is did they use their huge stock price spike to sell enough equity to cover up their accounting fraud and reduce debt to survive now their stock price is cratering, i haven't gotten around to poking through their SEC filings in a while since it seemed clear they were out of the woods

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
May also be a ploy to keep the debt held by the banks at low values. Since he (well, Twitter, technically but effectively him) has to service that debt, the debt itself being undervalued makes it easier for him to buy it himself at a lower price, in theory. The banks are already having trouble selling it and they have 0 interest in owning Twitter if it defaults so will be interesting to see what happens there. He could, in a few months, present them with an ultimatum to either sell the debt to him at X value (much less than the $13B? it was originally valued at) or Twitter will simply default on it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

koolkal posted:

May also be a ploy to keep the debt held by the banks at low values. Since he has to service that debt, the debt itself being undervalued makes it easier for him to buy it himself at a lower price, in theory. The banks are already having trouble selling it and they have 0 interest in owning Twitter if it defaults so will be interesting to see what happens there.

yeah the best way out of this for musk (if he still wants to own twitter) is to buy out the bank debt at a discount

they may be institutionally unwilling to get so obviously and publicly fleeced however and insist on something that makes it painful for him and/or gives them an equity kicker they can pretend has value

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009

koolkal posted:

or Twitter will simply default on it.

Ugh, why can't we bring back debtors prisons, but y'know only for billionaires who make poo poo decisions based on bruised egos who think they can just go 'fine I won't pay' when their scheme didn't work out as planned?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I was there that day, Gandalf. I was there on the steps of Mt. Doom, when the strength of men got corncobbed.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

evilweasel posted:

yeah the best way out of this for musk (if he still wants to own twitter) is to buy out the bank debt at a discount

they may be institutionally unwilling to get so obviously and publicly fleeced however and insist on something that makes it painful for him and/or gives them an equity kicker they can pretend has value

I feel like it is incredibly unlikely a bank will eat a loss on a loan made to the (at the time) richest person in the world, all because he ran a lovely company into the ground. People, rich and poor, have tried to scam banks for a very long time, and somehow the banks still have all the money.

It is more likely that he can scam some of his investors, but they still have ammo to fire back at him, personally. At this point there's probably a good argument that he did not even try to follow through on whatever plan he presented, and therefore it was a complete scam. In the most out there situation, folks could argue that his performance on Twitter warrants downgrading the debt on Tesla or SpaceX.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

evilweasel posted:

to be fair tesla was on the cusp of collapse a lot of times and was probably saved by accounting fraud

the real question is did they use their huge stock price spike to sell enough equity to cover up their accounting fraud and reduce debt to survive now their stock price is cratering, i haven't gotten around to poking through their SEC filings in a while since it seemed clear they were out of the woods

If I remember right, Tesla has more than once "accidentally" billed non-trivial amounts on customer credit cards to juice its numbers, and wouldn't you just know it couldn't get around to correctly the problem until after reporting their earnings.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

evilweasel posted:

yeah the best way out of this for musk (if he still wants to own twitter) is to buy the bank

:getin:

EDIT: For all of the Calvinball enthusiasts...

https://twitter.com/steinkobbe/status/1604986018960400384?s=20&t=5V0RvbGF-fvT6g-YOcIevQ

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 20, 2022

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

how can this keep getting stupider

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Wow that is pathetic.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Wow that is pathetic.

well that's one way to ensure the polls go your way

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Jaxyon posted:

well that's one way to ensure the polls go your way

I would laugh forever if he did this, and still lost the votes.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

And this in a thread with kim dotcom.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Apartheid Clyde implementing a poll tax

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I would laugh forever if he did this, and still lost the votes.

it’s would almost be a sign up for twitter blue advertisement. I would not do it even to vote against him cause I don’t want to give him any money and I doubt he would obey the result anyway.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m sure he had already decided to step down and hire a new ceo before he posted the poll.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

If he reposted the "do you like me" poll and only paid users could respond imagine how funny it would be if like 4000 people voted and he still lost.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Republicans posted:

If he reposted the "do you like me" poll and only paid users could respond imagine how funny it would be if like 4000 people voted and he still lost.

I would find it hilarious.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
No representation without taxation.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1604997465169711104?s=20&t=Y_wx6Frp8KBQepcswVTQ_Q

This guy doesn't understand that he's a drug dealer that has become addicted to his own product.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I just don’t understand how he can think the Babylon Bee is funny

Like when he bought Twitter one of the things that particularly upset him about the previous ownership is that they banned the Bee

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

FlamingLiberal posted:

I just don’t understand how he can think the Babylon Bee is funny

Like when he bought Twitter one of the things that particularly upset him about the previous ownership is that they banned the Bee

I think it's just the tribalism of it being the conservative attempt at The Onion and not actually relevant for being funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Nobody thinks the Babylon Bee is funny, they just have to pretend to let the libs know they aren't owned, they are actually laughing.