Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Unlike police departments, the FBI requires a bachelor's degree, and a lot of them have a master's degree.
I think a lot of their anti-FBI stuff has a subtle but direct line from their anti-college rants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

StumblyWumbly posted:

Unlike police departments, the FBI requires a bachelor's degree, and a lot of them have a master's degree.
I think a lot of their anti-FBI stuff has a subtle but direct line from their anti-college rants.

Way over thinking it. They dared say no to the anger mango's desire to be his personal brown shirts and he declared them to be public enemies.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Epic

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

StumblyWumbly posted:

Do you think there might be a section of the country with a…difficult….relationship to federal power?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Watching W Bush era Fox News and noticing it was much more of a combat zone than it is today. O'Reilly regularly allowed guests on who would either own him or at least make him look stupidly angry. Hannity had a (pseudo) liberal co-host for a long time and they'd go back and forth.

Eventually Fox learned to just shut the opposition out completely. Tucker never allows guests who might call him out.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Tucker can’t really do his whole bit on his show if there is someone there to rebut it

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
We would watch o’reillly all the time in college. One of my roommates was a republican so it was kind of fun, because it was entertaining in the W years. We also used to watch that post crossfire tucker show where he’d debate issues with Willy Geist

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Yeah I used to watch Willy Reamer / Yessy Will all of the time

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
It's kind of weird to pine for the good ole days of RWM when all there was to discuss was an illegal war in Iraq and how anyone who opposed it or voted democrat hated America and supported terrorists.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Hey remember that episode of Family Guy where Brian does a 180 politically after reading Rush Limbaugh's book, only to become too right wing for Rush? And they actually got him to play himself on the episode?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Panfilo posted:

Hey remember that episode of Family Guy where Brian does a 180 politically after reading Rush Limbaugh's book, only to become too right wing for Rush? And they actually got him to play himself on the episode?
Yeah that was a dumb one

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

The point of the episode ("Man there's a whole lot of supposed liberals who are actually just contrarians who want to be on the other side") is pretty valid, though.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

It's kind of weird to pine for the good ole days of RWM when all there was to discuss was an illegal war in Iraq and how anyone who opposed it or voted democrat hated America and supported terrorists.

Maybe it was because I was younger but back then it seemed as though they at least saw the same world as we did. True they did draw horrific conclusions from what they saw but that is at least different from what we are dealing with right now.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Hunt11 posted:

Maybe it was because I was younger but back then it seemed as though they at least saw the same world as we did. True they did draw horrific conclusions from what they saw but that is at least different from what we are dealing with right now.

There was a stronger belief that they could influence the world by acting and they didn't need to know it as much. There was a Bush administration official who argued that their philosophy was to just change the situation rather than understand what was going on.

But it's definitely different now, partly because the real-life gish gallop eventually ran into the cold hard wall of reality, partly because Trump took it even further than anyone else, and partly because a lot of people's brains were broken from being terminally online, racist, and cooped up during the pandemic.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Hunt11 posted:

“You’re part of what we call the reality-based community. We're an empire now, and when we act, we create our own reality. And while you're studying that reality—judiciously, as you will—we'll act again, creating other new realities, which you can study too, and that's how things will sort out. We're history's actors...and you, all of you, will be left to just study what we do.”

Doesn’t sound so different from what the q freaks are doing. I guess the US has lost hegemon status and can no longer destroy anything it wants without anyone disagreeing.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Hunt11 posted:

we started a war over imaginary and willfully lied about wmds

Enver Zogha
Nov 12, 2008

The modern revisionists and reactionaries call us Stalinists, thinking that they insult us and, in fact, that is what they have in mind. But, on the contrary, they glorify us with this epithet; it is an honor for us to be Stalinists.

Animal-Mother posted:

O'Reilly regularly allowed guests on who would either own him or at least make him look stupidly angry.
One thing about O'Reilly is that he didn't like being called a Republican. A big part of his brand was purporting to be a no-nonsense, calls-it-as-he-sees-it commentator whose interviews existed in a "no-spin zone." This makes it safer for him to be bested by guests, since he wasn't quite the media face of the Republican Party compared to Hannity or Rush.

The funny thing is that if he were still on Fox he'd probably be considered one of its more "reasonable" voices for issuing mild criticism of Republicans every now and then. He'd also compete with Tucker over who can generate the most outrage over "woke insanity" (and would probably win, because it's easier for old viewers to identify more with an old man and because O'Reilly would get into arguments with guests as noted.)

BiggerBoat posted:

I remember how "the left" back in the 2000s was portrayed as hippies who thought all the problems in the world could be fixed by sitting around a campfire with Osama Bin Laden and Sodamn Insane. Case in point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h3GPc_yMCE

Definitely different from "OH MY GOD FASCIST ANTIFA ARE BURNING DOWN ENTIRE CITIES ON BEHALF OF THEIR MARXIST DEMOCRATIC OVERLORDS."

Enver Zogha fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 20, 2022

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

I AM GRANDO posted:

“You’re part of what we call the reality-based community. We're an empire now, and when we act, we create our own reality. And while you're studying that reality—judiciously, as you will—we'll act again, creating other new realities, which you can study too, and that's how things will sort out. We're history's actors...and you, all of you, will be left to just study what we do.”

Doesn’t sound so different from what the q freaks are doing. I guess the US has lost hegemon status and can no longer destroy anything it wants without anyone disagreeing.

It’s not like Qanon at all. It’s much more “move fast and break things” as a philosophy of governing: don’t analyze the current state and determine what truth is; assert that you know truth already and start acting on it, and change your truth based upon what happens.

Qanon is just reading tea leaves on the internet to have what you believe determined by a gestalt that makes you feel smarter that everyone around you.

The quoted philosophy is much more dangerous than Qanon. They didn’t invade Iraq because they read on an Internet forum about how Saddam is keeping JFK Jr chained up on top of WMDs; they invaded Iraq because they wanted to invade Iraq and by the time you figure out the reason, they’ve already expanded the war into Yemen and Somalia.

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Dec 20, 2022

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Ok. So who or what is Dennis Prager? For some god forsaken reason I just saw a thing where he said leftists want to bring back segregation. What the gently caress is happening?

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Travic posted:

Ok. So who or what is Dennis Prager? For some god forsaken reason I just saw a thing where he said leftists want to bring back segregation. What the gently caress is happening?

A propogandist.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Travic posted:

Some nutjob neocon with a fake University that puts out misleading information at best or outright lies at worst. Very afraid of "secular leftism"

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
That's insanity. He says stuff like that and people are just lining up going, "Yep. Knew it. Leftists are the real racists." "Leftists eat babies? Yep. Called it."

He's just making poo poo up and people are just fawning over him. I guess because he's telling them what they want to hear?

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
PragerU is why I stopped using my Playstation to watch Youtube. Suddenly cartoon Frederick Douglas is saying we ended racism with the civil war so why're we making a big fuss of it. Absolute up is down left is right yes is no mentality on these bits of propagit and no way to turn them off.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
He also has a radio show which came first. He's basically quaint by most current rightwing standards. None of the ferver. Just a softspoken old dude stating matter of factly that the left is everything bad including bad feelings and the right is everything good. Go to his university Prager U to know more

*Not a university

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Heres a classic Dennis Pager clip trying to say the unvaccinated are treated far worse than he and his people treated gay men in the 80s.

https://twitter.com/JasonSCampbell/status/1457835361812496395

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Everytime i think about PragerU i think of this poop
https://youtu.be/rG_Ue3t17l0

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Of course this would be on "Doctor" Phil...
https://twitter.com/DeAngelisCorey/status/1605262328076697600?t=EN_AiwWELF0gxWMc4G6E0Q&s=19

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
PragerU is what you get ads from, when you watch any youtube channel that a middle class white male might watch

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

OgNar posted:

Heres a classic Dennis Pager clip trying to say the unvaccinated are treated far worse than he and his people treated gay men in the 80s.

https://twitter.com/JasonSCampbell/status/1457835361812496395

Desperately hoping nobody... remembers?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Hihohe posted:

Everytime i think about PragerU i think of this poop
https://youtu.be/rG_Ue3t17l0

That god is a black lesbian toilet

NDP
Jun 25, 2021

HootTheOwl posted:

He also has a radio show which came first. He's basically quaint by most current rightwing standards. None of the ferver. Just a softspoken old dude stating matter of factly that the left is everything bad including bad feelings and the right is everything good. Go to his university Prager U to know more

*Not a university

Is Prager's radio show still on? A local station used to air his program but dumped him for another arch-conservative talker. Apparently, even right-wingers can take only so much smug self-righteousness.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Someone needs to convince Dr. Phil to run for office somewhere high profile as a loopy Trump candidate so he can also eat poo poo and then be surgically removed fro popular culture like Dr. Oz was and that'll be the final stain of Oprah's legacy washed away.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

Someone needs to convince Dr. Phil to run for office somewhere high profile as a loopy Trump candidate so he can also eat poo poo and then be surgically removed fro popular culture like Dr. Oz was and that'll be the final stain of Oprah's legacy washed away.
I don't think Dr Phil is nearly as stupid as Dr Oz is

bartok
May 10, 2006

I first heard about Dennis Prager when he wrote an opinion piece in favor of marital rape.
https://townhall.com/columnists/dennisprager/2008/12/23/when_a_woman_isnt_in_the_mood_part_i-n1055719

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

All you need to know about Dennis is this:

https://twitter.com/TallBart/status/1593414305755451394?t=yaY_930sLLH20SxvLzvzxA&s=19

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

bartok posted:

I first heard about Dennis Prager when he wrote an opinion piece in favor of marital rape.
https://townhall.com/columnists/dennisprager/2008/12/23/when_a_woman_isnt_in_the_mood_part_i-n1055719

This is...unspeakable.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Oh, and he's been married like 4 times.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don't think Dr Phil is nearly as stupid as Dr Oz is

He would have Bhad Bhabie run against him and we know what a bloodbath that would be.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

NDP posted:

Is Prager's radio show still on? A local station used to air his program but dumped him for another arch-conservative talker. Apparently, even right-wingers can take only so much smug self-righteousness.

In major cities with like 3 or 4 lovely right-wing talk stations he'll be on the weakest one. Salem radio insists on propping him up, like Mike Gallagher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
not a lot of talk this week about the Jan 6th committee but they're really hammering on this bombshell investigation where the FBI muscled Twitter into censoring republicans and it's all coming out now but I don't have much of an idea wtf they're talking about.

A coworker told me that the fbi asked twitter to root out and rat the white supremacists but, according to this guy, we're informed by Twitter that they couldn't find much of anything. Which sounds like bullshit