Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Floppychop posted:

How does the Veteran's deadshot feat work? Is it just when aiming?

Yes, just when right-clicking/aiming. Doesn't work if you use a weapon with no ADS like the plasma. Stops working when you run out of stamina.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Floppychop posted:

How does the Veteran's deadshot feat work? Is it just when aiming?

When Aiming or Braced, yes. And the benefits run out when you no longer have Stamina.

IMO it's not worth it unless you're stacking +Stamina and +Stamina Regeneration Curios. The Stamina drain once you start firing is loving nasty.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Another power maul pro: extremely funny Ragdolls, and holding narrow bridges is free kills. Don't need to kill'em in one blow when gravity will do it for you!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Evil Kit posted:

Another power maul pro: extremely funny Ragdolls, and holding narrow bridges is free kills. Don't need to kill'em in one blow when gravity will do it for you!

Yeah the light > light combo that pops people up in the air is a lot of fun. Getting followup hits on enemies as they ragdoll into the air is :discourse:

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Kith posted:

IMO it's not worth it unless you're stacking +Stamina and +Stamina Regeneration Curios. The Stamina drain once you start firing is loving nasty.
+Stamina doesn't even work does it? Since Deadfire's stamina drain is percentage based.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Do I have to do something to open Re-Bless and Earn Blessing from Hadron's menu, or are they not implemented yet?

Also it's starting to feel like Dockets are nearly worthless, is that right? Maybe they'll add something to sink them into later.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Dec 19, 2022

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

^^^^They're still in Fatshark land for a few more weeks

Kith posted:

When Aiming or Braced, yes. And the benefits run out when you no longer have Stamina.

For Bolter it works pretty well as-is, because you have two situations with the Bolter, either the enemy is dead before you run out of stamina or you're mag dumping into an Ogryn's face and it's okay to recoil all over the place.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

BizarroAzrael posted:

Do I have to do something to open Re-Bless and Earn Blessing from Hadron's menu, or are they not implemented yet?

Not implemented yet! Hang tight while they finish the game :)

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It's funny how they recreated the green dust problem from VT2, I'm at the point where if I want the fastest way to min/max my characters I'd need to spam difficulty 2 missions for plasteel spawns.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Its funny that that the green dust issue was solved for me when I was levelling up my other characters in VT2 since chests opened at low level gives whites and greens. The whole sharing materials things really came in handy there.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Kith posted:

It's kind of fun if you remember you have it enabled so you save sprints for when you need em, but the extra crit chance is hilarious on braced guns or recon lasers in bursts, especially if you have infernus. Its nice for snapshooting aimed shots with shotgun, too

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Dec 19, 2022

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

CuddleCryptid posted:

^^^^They're still in Fatshark land for a few more weeks

For Bolter it works pretty well as-is, because you have two situations with the Bolter, either the enemy is dead before you run out of stamina or you're mag dumping into an Ogryn's face and it's okay to recoil all over the place.

I think the 30% reload on elite kill in the same row is way better for bolter.

Maybe not WAY better but I switched to the reload feat specifically for bolter and especially plasma, which are the two weapons I've been sticking with lately.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Dec 19, 2022

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Kaddish posted:

I think the 30% reload on elite kill in the same row is way better for bolter.

Depends on how you use it, although I do agree that the +30% on kill plus reload bonus when mag isn't entirely empty is great. But I'm more likely to try and chainsword an ogryn than I am to try and quickly reload for a second magdump so the steady aim works better for me.

Edit for your edit, it is better on Plasma because it increases your rate of fire due to the venting.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

CuddleCryptid posted:

Depends on how you use it, although I do agree that the +30% on kill plus reload bonus when mag isn't entirely empty is great. But I'm more likely to try and chainsword an ogryn than I am to try and quickly reload for a second magdump so the steady aim works better for me.

Edit for your edit, it is better on Plasma because it increases your rate of fire due to the venting.

I'm not sure what you mean re: the plasma and venting. I run the reload feat on plasma because deadeye (at least I assume) doesn't work on plasma. Neither have an effect on venting as far as I know, and it would theoretically increase dps/fire rate on both weapons since you're firing more often. I get what you're saying about just switching to melee though but with the bolter I think it's just fast enough with the bonus to keep your walhack up if you get another kill right away, especially if you throw in some regular shooters in there and are running that feat as well.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Wonder if there will be any more major patches before December is over or if it's all damage-control mode right now as they try to fix the bugs from the previous patches and the content they had to abandon from it before release.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Dec 19, 2022

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Kaddish posted:

I'm not sure what you mean re: the plasma and venting. I run the reload feat on plasma because deadeye (at least I assume) doesn't work on plasma. Neither have an effect on venting as far as I know, and it would theoretically increase dps/fire rate on both weapons since you're firing more often. I get what you're saying about just switching to melee though but with the bolter I think it's just fast enough with the bonus to keep your walhack up if you get another kill right away, especially if you throw in some regular shooters in there and are running that feat as well.

I mean that reloading resets your heat to zero so if you can reload faster them your rate of fire increases. Unless that doesn't work for Plasma?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

CuddleCryptid posted:

I mean that reloading resets your heat to zero so if you can reload faster them your rate of fire increases. Unless that doesn't work for Plasma?

Right yeah, thought by venting you were referring to the manual vent.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Edmond Dantes posted:

Lmao, I'm exactly the opposite. I keep seeing people swearing by the Maul and I just loving hate it. Bull Cleaver for life. :shobon:

Yeah, the bleed feats are super underwhelming. I tried running them with the Shield at launch and... eh. You'd thing that you're applying bleed to a whole bunch of enemies at a time so you're still getting a lot of damage but the bleed damage itself is low enough that it doesn't make a difference when bullying a horde, and even less for bigger targets. The damage reduction per bleeding enemy sounds great on paper but chaff dies so fast that you almost never have it up on over 2-3 stacks and even then it's not for long.

I never really clicked with the knifes, even the bull butcher. The special melee attack is not nearly as good as the God Emperors chosen bestest ogryn weapon - the shovel. It's the ogryn's fastest weapon, it's got a really solid light > heavy string for horde clears. The straight punch is a way better stun tool than the uppercut, consistently laying out maulers and ragers for 5+ seconds. It has an incredibly high damage overhead chop heavy attack for popping hard targets. It's quite good.

The power maul is good, but not earth shaking. The damage against single targets is not the greatest, but it's greatest strength lies in being able to stagger mixed groups. The power burst in a big crowd of poo poo will stagger crushers just as easily as the dozen poxwalkers swarming around it.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Wonder if there will be any more major patches before December is over or if it's all damage-control mode right now as they try to fix the bugs from the previous patches and the content they had to abandon from it before release.

Fatshark employees will be going on vacation soon so they won't be doing something too big that might gently caress the game up harder that they can't fix.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I have to buy my friend a bottle of nice alcohol if every crafting rollout is bugged on release. 1/1 so far!

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

big cummers ONLY posted:

I have to buy my friend a bottle of nice alcohol if every crafting rollout is bugged on release. 1/1 so far!

Has it been confirmed the current perk re-roll system is actually bugged?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

explosivo posted:

Yeeeah I did start doing this but it still feels weird activating it before every swing. And when I would simply not have the time to activate it I couldn't help but think "I could just be using the shield or shovel right now and be doing way more damage quicker"

You don't need to activate it before every single swing. The power maul's damage is respectable even when not activated. Spamming unactivated light attacks will definitely outperform the slab shield on anything but carapace armor, and isn't amazing but is serviceable when compared to high-end weapons.

BTW, as part of my testing for this, I retested the slab shield melee on crushers, and man, it's not good. Sorry to everyone who I've been telling that it's usable to kill crushers, because it's really not.

----

I did some DPS testing in the 5* psykanium. My test weapons are:

A shovel with 80% damage, 75% penetration, 75% first target, and a +20% against carapace perk. (I don't have a comparably-rolled shovel without some perks that throw things off.)
A power maul with 77% damage, 78% penetration, 57% power output (not ideal ofc), and no relevant perks or blessings.
A slab shield with 79% damage, 78% penetration, and no relevant perks or blessings (unless Thunderstrike secretly adds damage).
A bull butcher cleaver with 67% damage, 52% penetration, 53% first target, and a +8% melee weak spot damage perk. This is mainly here as a baseline weapon that I know very well and have used in every difficulty including damnation high intensity, so I know it works.
A heavy stubber with 78% damage and 76% stability, and no perks or blessings at all. (It's a grey.) This is firing from 5m, and generally the best weapon Ogryns have for really focusing down a target when that target has to die.

In all cases, I don't have any relevant damage-boosting feats except for Raging Bull (*****3*), which I run on every build anyway. I pitched any attempt where I missed, got another enemy entangled, or otherwise hosed up. The numbers below are DPS reports when the enemy dies.

Dreg Rager (maniac armor) - Not making any particular effort to hit it in the head, but swinging head level. This is also a good measure of performance on muties, which have the same armor type and generally present the same target profile when not moving.
Shovel lights: 118, 123, 123
Shovel heavies: 128, 137, 134
Shovel heavy - uppercut - repeat: 200, 136, 138 - This is my actual single-target shovel rotation, but it's very inconsistent in the psykanium because it tends to send the target flying. It's also impractical in a crowd.
Power maul lights: 94, 96, 94
Power maul heavies: 70, 71
Power maul activate then spam lights: 112, 126, 123 - This will always be variable because it matters a lot if the first hit is a crit and/or headshot.
Power maul activate - light - light - repeat: 261, 275, 267
Slab shield lights: 78, 70, 73
Slab shield heavies: 48 - Didn't feel like this one needed a bunch of testing.
Bull baseline lights: 221, 221, 203
Heavy stubber baseline: 1094, 1350, 1350, 1350

Scab Rager (flak armor) - Likewise on aiming.
Shovel lights: 246, 240, 248
Shovel heavies: 297, 293, 298
Shovel heavy - uppercut - repeat: 250, 332, 294 - Same caveats as on the other rager.
Power maul lights: 208, 212, 214 - This rotation tends to miss one swing when the rager flinches.
Power maul heavies: 124, 130, 143
Power maul activate then spam lights: 277, 233, 238 - Same variance as above.
Power maul activate, light light, activate, spam lights until dead: 327, 306, 352 - There's some sort of breakpoint here, causing more or less swings based on how the crits land. This was always better than three activations in testing.
Slab shield lights: 154, 151, 150
Slab shield heavies: 86, 84. - Shield heavies are for stagger, not damage.
Bull baseline lights: 204, 185, 196 - This rotation also tends to miss one swing when the rager flinches.
Heavy stubber baseline: 364, 522, 669, 604 - The twitchiness and small health pool of this enemy leads to lots of variance.

Crusher - I did actually aim for the head, since I find that's pretty easy and practical in actual play. I skipped any weapon's light attacks if they did negligible damage to a crusher.
Shovel heavies: 264, 258, 268 - Note that this has the +20% against carapace perk.
Power maul activate - light - repeat: 213, 206, 217
Power maul activate - light - light - repeat: 204 - This had imperfect execution, with a couple activate-light-activate cycles, but I think activate-light-light is prob worse.
Power maul activate - heavy - repeat: 160 - The heavy does not seem to be very much better damage per hit with an obviously slower attack cycle, so I didn't bother further testing.
Power maul lights: 55 - Further testing seemed fruitless.
Power maul heavies: 44 - Likewise.
Slab shield lights: 48, 48
Slab shield heavies: 3 - I accidentally left Heavyweight on for this. I hope you can forgive this crime against science, because holy jesus god this took forever.
Bull baseline lights: 16 - I switched to the 1* psykanium for this because holy gently caress killing a 5* crusher 8 damage at a time.
Bull baseline heavies: 40, 40. - I basically never try to melee down crushers with this weapon. Love yourself and do not use knives to kill crushers.
Heavy stubber baseline: 185 , 189, 173 - Note that I pressed inward to pursue as it was pushed back, otherwise I didn't kill it before running out of ammo and having to reload. Including a reload and re-brace, it's closer to 110-120 DPS.

Incidentally, my best weapon for crushers seemed to be a grey Bully club (80% dam, 80% pen, 69% finesse) that did 285-294 DPS spamming heavies. Huh.

Speaking of which, since I was here I tested the Krourk Mk IV Cleaver again. It's the stainless-steel Bowie knife whose only gimmick is focusing on a single target, and I have a pretty nice one: 75% dam, 76% pen, 79% first target, and +20% damage against carapace. It sucks. Spamming lights does 250-325 DPS on the scab rager, depending on how the crits went (short fights are more variable), but only ~155 to the dreg rager, and only 71 to crushers (spamming heavies). A relatively small advantage over the shovel on non-ogryn elites (and, I assume, monstrosities) isn't worth giving up all of your cleave and your ability to fight crushers.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Dec 19, 2022

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Cease to Hope posted:

Incidentally, my best weapon for crushers seemed to be a grey Bully club (80% dam, 80% pen, 69% finesse) that did 285-294 DPS spamming heavies. Huh.

That's a lot of awesome testing, thanks for sharing. I have seen some comments about how the Bully club heavy attack canceling is the highest DPS melee weapon for the Ogryn, but I just can't be assed to play that way.

With the Bull cleaver, I just use my Grenade Gauntlet on Carapace and if I need to burst down a Mauler real quick. Like you said, not worth giving up the other pros of it just to deal with Crushers.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Dec 19, 2022

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Kaddish posted:

no, just a bunch of goons insisting it must be because fatshark hosed up everything else so why wouldn't they also gently caress up this simple quality of life improvement for a system that usually sucks poo poo in every other game??? also don't read the patch notes that states that this was completely intentional, they're lying

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
What does Opening Salvo(+7.5% Power on Salvo's First shot) do on semi-auto guns? Does every shot get that bonus or just the first in the mag? I assume it is first shot on a trigger-pull but I don't take anything for granted anymore in this game.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

RosaParksOfDip posted:

What does Opening Salvo(+7.5% Power on Salvo's First shot) do on semi-auto guns? Does every shot get that bonus or just the first in the mag? I assume it is first shot on a trigger-pull but I don't take anything for granted anymore in this game.

ninjaiguana posted:

So apparently; a salvo starts when you fire a shot. If you continuing firing follow-up shots before your recoil has fully reset, subsequent shots are counted as being part of the same salvo. Once your recoil fully resets and you fire, that's a new salvo.

Obviously grain of salt, Fatshark, what even is coding etc etc.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Team shovel wins again!

I also need to get a bully club blessed up at some point. The slap special is by far the funniest one but it always felt overshadowed by the shovel once you got a good one.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Kaddish posted:

Yeah, patch notes state limited rerolls.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Penance designer gets Ogryn latrine duty.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

dogstile posted:

"The Patch Notes posted:

Refine is now available in the Shrine of the Omnissiah.

You can now choose to refine a single perk, which will lock other perks.
Perks in the item card view will show their Tier through the number of ♦ next to the perk ranging from 1 to 4.
Each Refine action taken on the perk will see a cost reduction for resources.

does it though?

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

dogstile posted:

I'm glad you're here because you're the one that said it is bugged, thanks for coming at me so hard and also being wrong

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Internet Explorer posted:

That's a lot of awesome testing, thanks for sharing. I have seen some comments about how the Bully club attack canceling is the highest DPS melee weapon for the Ogryn, but I just can't be assed to play that way.

The best I could get out of the club with heavy-blockcancel-repeat or heavy-slap-repeat was 260 DPS on a crusher for both. An AHK script could definitely tighten that up but it could tighten up my heavy spam play too.

I've heard of a grenade-swap cancel but I don't know the specifics to try it myself, and as I understand it, it's only a DPS increase with a script or macro.

As for actually playing that way, I don't find it to be a big deal, but I just don't think anything any of the other weapons do well is important enough to give up the bull butcher's ability to just scythe down packs of zombies and non-elite melee assault dudes. Only the Krourk Mk VI Cleaver competes with it for dumpstering hordes, and its reliance on heavies to do so makes it more vulnerable.

DeathSandwich posted:

Team shovel wins again!

I also need to get a bully club blessed up at some point. The slap special is by far the funniest one but it always felt overshadowed by the shovel once you got a good one.

Bear in mind, this is all single-target testing, where the shovel (and club) relatively overperform. They both need three hits to kill a poxwalker on 5 to the bull butcher's two, and seem to have noticeably worse cleave damage. Plus, their blessings aren't as nice for dealing with packs.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 19, 2022

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
PRAISE THE OMNISIAH
PRAISE THE OMNISIAH
PRAISE THE OMNISIAH
PRAI
PRAISE THE OMNISIAH

[contemplative pause]

PRAISE THE OMNISIAH
PR

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Cease to Hope posted:

Bear in mind, this is all single-target testing, where the shovel (and club) relatively overperform. They both need three hits to kill a poxwalker on 5 to the bull butcher's two, and seem to have noticeably worse cleave damage. Plus, their blessings aren't as nice for dealing with packs.

That's not that big a deal at the end of the day for me because the shovel does 'good enough' between the lesser damage and greater stun effect. The swinging continues until all zombies are dead. Never have I been in a horde and thought "gee, I wish I was killing this one particular jobber in two hits rather than three" but I have had that thought with crushers, ragers, and maulers.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

My wife and I were playing a week or two ago, took some edibles, and got really high. She was playing Ogryn and I was playing Vet. I introduced her to the shovel and then we spent the next several hours running around hitting everything with the shovel while giddly extolling the virtues of the shovel.

Also, let me tell you, when you are too high to play Darktide every match is like an hours-long fight for your life.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Internet Explorer posted:

Also, let me tell you, when you are too high to play Darktide every match is like an hours-long fight for your life.

Yeah it’s awesome, especially lights out.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Kaddish posted:

Yeah it’s awesome, especially lights out.

Did lights out stoned with four vets last night. It should be a separate permanent game mode

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

big cummers ONLY posted:

Did lights out stoned with four vets last night. It should be a separate permanent game mode

At that point you're playing the original trailer

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

DeathSandwich posted:

That's not that big a deal at the end of the day for me because the shovel does 'good enough' between the lesser damage and greater stun effect. The swinging continues until all zombies are dead. Never have I been in a horde and thought "gee, I wish I was killing this one particular jobber in two hits rather than three" but I have had that thought with crushers, ragers, and maulers.

I have that thought all the time when they're surrounding the elite I actually want to kill ASAP, or when I can't give up any ground against a horde for some reason (generally because it would mean leaving cover or getting split), or when I need to peel enemies off of people. You can actually get up to one-shotting groaners with every swing on 5* with just a little bit of help from your perks or blessings, which is huge.

The Bull Butcher is also better than the shovel on Maniac armor. That's Dreg Ragers and the bulk of specials, including the Trapper and both Flamers, despite their appearance. (The exceptions: the Sniper is unarmored and the Plague Hound is infested, both of which the Bull Butcher performs better on, and the Bomber is flak.)

(The relevant math: on 5*, groaners have 200 HP and poxwalkers have 300. Attacking groaners or poxwalkers and without crits/headshots/perks/blessings, a perfect shovel's lights do 132.83 - 132.83 - 189.75, while a perfect bull butcher's lights do 184.80 - 184.80 - 150.00.)

On top of that, the Bull Butcher gets Momentum, a blessing that restores as much as 12.5% toughness when you hit three enemies, and Slaughterer, +12.5% power for 3.5s on kill with up to 5 stacks. The shovel's best blessings for dealing with hordes are Confident Strike, which pretty much every ogryn weapon gets, and Brutal Momentum, which is of limited use with its light attack pattern in my experience.

My current Bull Butcher is 67% damage, 52% penetration, 53% first target, Momentum 3 Slaughterer 3, which is why I haven't moved on to one with better stat rolls. It is just night and day going from that to even my basically-god-rolled shovel, which is 80% damage, 75% penetration, 75% first target, 74% crowd control, Perfect Strike 3 Confident Strike 3. I would like more damage on ogryn and scab elites, but compared to hordes and specials, it just feels like I could use my ult and my gun to deal with them instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

DeathSandwich posted:

I never really clicked with the knifes, even the bull butcher. The special melee attack is not nearly as good as the God Emperors chosen bestest ogryn weapon - the shovel. It's the ogryn's fastest weapon, it's got a really solid light > heavy string for horde clears. The straight punch is a way better stun tool than the uppercut, consistently laying out maulers and ragers for 5+ seconds. It has an incredibly high damage overhead chop heavy attack for popping hard targets. It's quite good.

The power maul is good, but not earth shaking. The damage against single targets is not the greatest, but it's greatest strength lies in being able to stagger mixed groups. The power burst in a big crowd of poo poo will stagger crushers just as easily as the dozen poxwalkers swarming around it.

The bull butcher does not use its special attack, if it can at all help it. Just keep swinging the bleeding thing