Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Nxe6?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

think it's Nxh7 Rxh7 Qf8#, and if they don't capture, discover check then mate

edit: line goes a little longer, Nxh7 Kg8 Nf6+ Kf8 Qh8+ Ke7 Qe8#

silvergoose fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 19, 2022

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Helianthus Annuus posted:

white to move and win. i missed it because it was 5m blitz and i was in time trouble, but i really should have found it.

code:
7k/pr1p1prp/1qp1p1pQ/4P1N1/3P4/1P3R2/P3bPPP/3R2K1 w - - 0 25

dont feel bad. magnus literally just straight up hung a full piece in blitz in the scc

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
Are there any good resources for FischerRandom opening "ideas" or "guidelines" or anything like that? I saw Wesley had some course or something that got mixed reviews. Google is yielding nothing good, but I might be searching improperly since this game mode has a bunch of different names.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

silvergoose posted:

think it's Nxh7 Rxh7 Qf8#, and if they don't capture, discover check then mate

edit: line goes a little longer, Nxh7 Kg8 Nf6+ Kf8 Qh8+ Ke7 Qe8#

thats right! and instead of Ke7 black can hold on for a little longer with ...Rg8 Qxg8+ Ke7 Qe8#

fart simpson posted:

dont feel bad. magnus literally just straight up hung a full piece in blitz in the scc

thanks, mr simpson :unsmith:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Highly recommended, apparently this guy is 2300 on main and stream sniping and I won't spoil anything but its very entertaining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDDLO-WuOmE

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Salt Fish posted:

Highly recommended, apparently this guy is 2300 on main and stream sniping and I won't spoil anything but its very entertaining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDDLO-WuOmE

This rules. Very worth the watch even if it's 40 min long.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
This opponent really got me with this move.

I responded by just taking the rook, though since I had the queen defended I theoretically could have used the turn to put another piece into a stronger position. I ended up winning by timeout which felt really bad, I feel like they should have won based on that move alone.

My previous move was putting that pawn on A4 from A2, I wanted to have the Queen defending it. Oops.

Beartaco fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Dec 25, 2022

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
You have Ne6 there, deflecting the Queen from the e4 c4 square (or forcing a Queen trade)

got some chores tonight fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Dec 25, 2022

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

got some chores tonight posted:

You have Ne6 there, deflecting the Queen from the e4 square (or forcing a Queen trade)

You're right! I had been setting that move up but I didn't think to execute it there, thanks.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

What happens after ...Qb7 though? Seems to me you'd be left without a strong move.

The move that seems best to me is Qc6, which demands an answer. I could easily be missing something though.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Chamale posted:

What happens after ...Qb7 though? Seems to me you'd be left without a strong move.

The move that seems best to me is Qc6, which demands an answer. I could easily be missing something though.

Qb7 leaves the defence of the c4 pawn.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Yep, great example of that sometimes the best defense is a little offense.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

World Rapid Champs is on, 12/26-12/28:
https://worldrapidandblitz2022.fide.com/

edit: can also follow on lichess:
https://lichess.org/broadcast/2022-fide-world-rapid-championship/0saFcidQ

AnacondaHL fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Dec 26, 2022

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
How many different events are called rapid championships? I am very new to chess and I can't keep them straight. Wasn't there a Rapid Chess Championship 2 weeks ago which Hikaru won?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Salt Fish posted:

How many different events are called rapid championships? I am very new to chess and I can't keep them straight. Wasn't there a Rapid Chess Championship 2 weeks ago which Hikaru won?

Websites will have their speed chess championships and whatever but this is the actual for real world rapid and blitz championships starting today. Three days for the rapid followed by two days for the blitz.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

did I hear correctly that Hans Beadmann is in this competition?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Bilirubin posted:

did I hear correctly that Hans Beadmann is in this competition?

Not exactly setting the world on fire.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I don't use the review tools too often (since I'm a filthy free user) but I'm a little confused by their suggestion here.

I think my move was a really good one that allowed me to capture their queen and develop a rook. Chess.com however is suggesting I should have just sacrificed a bishop for seemingly zero gain?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
500 mmr take: Your move is winning but it allows the queen to take the rook with check. King takes, now you lose your own bishop to the rook. Queen for a rook+bishop is okay but not great, and the attack fizzles out somewhat.

In contrast you could keep the attack going with pieces on the board and try for checkmate.

I think your approach is fine, stockfish doesn't know whats practical.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Salt Fish posted:

500 mmr take: Your move is winning but it allows the queen to take the rook with check. King takes, now you lose your own bishop to the rook. Queen for a rook+bishop is okay but not great, and the attack fizzles out somewhat.

In contrast you could keep the attack going with pieces on the board and try for checkmate.

I think your approach is fine, stockfish doesn't know whats practical.

You're right, at the time I wasn't considering that I'd be losing my bishop and my rook for a still undeveloped Queen. In retrospect I think maybe I should have moved that Bishop back to G5.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
I think the engine even prefers Bg7 because the black rook at f8 is out of squares so it forces an easily winning endgame, but your move is perfectly fine since now you have a queen and your opponent doesn't and it's more likely for them to blunder mate (as they did a few moves later).

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I looked with an engine and stockfish dislikes Rd1 due to Qxd1, Kxd1, and then I totally missed long castles with check!

For Bxe6 stockfish liquidates everything: Qxe6, Qxe6, Kxe6, Bxa6, bxa6, and you go into a rook endgame up two pawns with better structure.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Stockfish will sometimes look at my 1200-rated games and say, "You captured your opponent's hanging queen? Blunder! You fool! You should have played this six-move forced mate involving four different pieces."

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I am watching the chess 24 steam for the rapid, and lol at their main advertiser trying to sell Tesla stock.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

VictualSquid posted:

I am watching the chess 24 steam for the rapid, and lol at their main advertiser trying to sell Tesla stock.

buy low sell high

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Chess.com will say their own second-highest engine move is a blunder because it isn't winning enough so I wouldn't go just by whether it calls a move a mistake or not. Open the analysis and see the actual number evaluation compared to the move it thinks is best. The reason I know this is because I had a game last night where it called a move I made a blunder, even though it was the second highest rated move, because it was "only" -3 instead of the -6 the highest rated move was.

stratdax fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Dec 28, 2022

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
That could be an actual blunder though, depending the game state and how many pieces are left. Often a -3 is still winnable/lose-able. If it's like you're up a clean rook in the endgame then yeah it doesn't matter.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
You can look up the specific thresholds for the name blunder/inaccuracy/mistake. I know I posted them here at one point for lichess. I believe the evaluation swinging 3 points or more gets put into the blunder bucket, but from what I remember its a bit more complicated than that.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Salt Fish posted:

You can look up the specific thresholds for the name blunder/inaccuracy/mistake. I know I posted them here at one point for lichess. I believe the evaluation swinging 3 points or more gets put into the blunder bucket, but from what I remember its a bit more complicated than that.

Yes, it's fairly complicated for lichess. but it roughly works out to be 0.5 for inaccuracy, 1 for a mistake, and 1.8 or so for a blunder.

https://lichess.org/forum/general-chess-discussion/what-is-the-difference-between-blunders-mistakes-and-inaccuracies-in-chess-mean?page=4#40
https://github.com/lichess-org/lila/blob/5ffbf25961383b66c6480370fb68cc75747262e5/ui/ceval/src/winningChances.ts

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It took me 2 weeks of Dr Wolf, 10+0 and a fair bit of YouTube but I finally beat Stockfish 1 tonight.

Progress!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Huxley posted:

It took me 2 weeks of Dr Wolf, 10+0 and a fair bit of YouTube but I finally beat Stockfish 1 tonight.

Progress!

congrats!

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Day 1 of World Blitz champs over, Hikaru crushed it, 9 more rounds tomorrow

Activate
Oct 29, 2011

I recently started playing, I love having multiple books open around me to study from like I am a medieval scholar, and I want to that Mr Naroditsky for teaching me the Danish Gambit, it’s been very fun and worked well at the 500s.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
What I've learned is, when you pick up chess in earnest and then go home for the holidays, if you mention you are playing more chess everyone has a wacky set in a closet they can't wait to give you.

Activate
Oct 29, 2011

Huxley posted:

What I've learned is, when you pick up chess in earnest and then go home for the holidays, if you mention you are playing more chess everyone has a wacky set in a closet they can't wait to give you.

Already scored a free set this way.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Today's lesson in Know Your Endgames: https://lichess.org/7bRtIbY9Z8Nl

White resigns in a drawn position.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Activate posted:

Already scored a free set this way.

Dad gave me the set he taught me on, this crazy thing from the early 60s:

https://www.nobleknight.com/P/2147994913/Collectors-Series-Chess-Set---Edition-II-Napoleon-Bonaparte-1804-1814

(which I obviously am going to re-felt and set up somewhere).

Progress report: playing 10+0 on chess.com after my provisional games it started me off in the 700s, but I haven't lost yet and am over 1000, which feels really good! I was proud of this game, in particular, which felt really tight (1 mistake, no blunders, and a "brilliant" rook sac).

https://www.chess.com/game/live/66435204771

I'm having a lot of fun and have decided to really focus on d4 (with the gambit if they d5 and London if they don't; I need to put a lot more work into learning gambit), Caro-Kann against e4 and ... I don't have a plan against d4 yet other than d5 and try not to hang a piece.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hi chess people.

A few months ago I started watching Coffee & Chess videos at random, it got me back into playing a little, and now I've gotten slightly better (still awful). I've been watching Anna Cramling videos, she's entertaining.

I'm posting because I found this hilarious Slovakian guy and his wild openings and analysis are fun as hell. Maybe someone else already posted them, I didn't go back very far to see.
https://www.youtube.com/@adamiskosach

He doesn't have that many views or subscribers so I'm guessing he's pretty obscure. I really like his gandalf trap video but that's an hour long, if you want to just try something shorter and fun maybe start with drunken bishops gambit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfnF3QTdDZQ

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jan 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Huxley posted:

Dad gave me the set he taught me on, this crazy thing from the early 60s:

https://www.nobleknight.com/P/2147994913/Collectors-Series-Chess-Set---Edition-II-Napoleon-Bonaparte-1804-1814

(which I obviously am going to re-felt and set up somewhere).

Progress report: playing 10+0 on chess.com after my provisional games it started me off in the 700s, but I haven't lost yet and am over 1000, which feels really good! I was proud of this game, in particular, which felt really tight (1 mistake, no blunders, and a "brilliant" rook sac).

https://www.chess.com/game/live/66435204771

I'm having a lot of fun and have decided to really focus on d4 (with the gambit if they d5 and London if they don't; I need to put a lot more work into learning gambit), Caro-Kann against e4 and ... I don't have a plan against d4 yet other than d5 and try not to hang a piece.

Congrats! You're doing really well!