Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I’m pretty sure you can use your location to lock a door, you just can’t use it to unlock one. Do you have any Apple Watch? Add a shortcut as a complication to unlock it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

mawarannahr posted:

I’m mad I spent half an hour setting up arrive/leave and on-message notifications for shortcuts because they just pop up a notification to run, which I might notice 2 hours later. What’s the point. If it’s the stalkers just delete the non-automation automation functionality. Just want to turn on lights when I get home and put cats on the TV., and message my housemate if they need anything when I get to the grocery store

I think if you cut out the message your friend part this will work. I think.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Speaking of HomeKit stuff, the Home app wants to "upgrade the underlying architecture" of my home, but then gives me a scary warning that some devices won't be able to use Home until they are updated and just lists my old iPhone.

I'm pretty sure this is the case but I want to be 100% sure - this only means that the old iPhone won't be able to access the Home app and control things, is that correct? This won't have any effect on the myriad of Hue bulbs around my house or my smart Thermostat, both of which I have no interest in trying to force some kind of upgrade on. Is that right?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
That’s correct. It just means those other devices won’t be able to control your Home’s accessories until they get updated.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

And if you have a device that can’t get 16.2, it’s out of luck. My iPad Air 2 (stuck on 15.x) can no longer control my home stuff.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

The HomeKit upgrade doesn't support iPads as a hub anymore, but it still seems less restrictive than the advanced data protection requirements. I have one iMac that can't update to the latest OS but is the main reason I pay for iCloud storage, and that restricts every other apple device I own from using ADP. I get it, but it sucks.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Mister Facetious posted:

Sometimes they copy Samsung, now that Samsung has stopped copying Apple

Samsung’s hardware team seems to be going their own way, but the software team still can’t help themselves

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/11/03/samsung-follows-apple-and-lets-users-move-mobile-browser-address-bar-to-the-bottom-of-the-screen/

https://9to5mac.com/2022/09/27/samsung-ios-16-lock-screen/

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

The fact that the iOS version of Apple Music doesn’t have crossfade but the Android version does is an embarrassing omission in 2023.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

empty baggie posted:

The HomeKit upgrade doesn't support iPads as a hub anymore, but it still seems less restrictive than the advanced data protection requirements. I have one iMac that can't update to the latest OS but is the main reason I pay for iCloud storage, and that restricts every other apple device I own from using ADP. I get it, but it sucks.

Yeah, I have my work laptop signed into the App Store using my personal Apple ID and they wanted me to upgrade that for some reason. Which will never happen, we just got Monterey last week.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Now my TimPhone is telling me I need to input my passcode if I want to keep using iCloud. I get why, but this is getting a little too intrusive..

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Hey so I was sleeping with ear buds and my alarm sounds didn’t play through them? Just the iPhone speaker. I swore it did before. A cursory google glance says people seem to be having issues on io16 with it. Others say to use a 3rd party app.

Any ideas ?

-edit

I went into sounds and haptics and my ringtone and alert volume was set all the way to 0. Not sure if that’s a factor but I’m going to mess with it. The alarm sound still definitely comes through my iPhone speaker

- edit 2

Looks like raising the above sound/alarm level slider fixed it under sounds and haptics? Alarm audio coming through headphones and iPhone speakers. Is that working as intended?

Not sure how it ever got lowered to 0. My alarm still made a noise when it was 0 so not sure how that works. We’ll see, I’ll mess with it a bit more

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Dec 18, 2022

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

ManSedan posted:

Yeah, I have an August lock. That's fuckin' stupid. What's the point of an automation if it doesn't automate? It used to do it without prompting. Rabble rabble.

Did they fix the issue with those that lets complete strangers into your home wifi?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I sort of worry about that stuff, but then I remember that I have all-glass rear doors and glass panels on the front door and welp, I guess a wrench attack is probably a bigger risk.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Kerbtree posted:

Did they fix the issue with those that lets complete strangers into your home wifi?

The article says hackers would need access to the hub to crack it…. Which is in your house and not easily accessible to people from outside.

Thieves would probably just break a window anyways. I do like that my Yale/August deadbolt doesn’t even have a key that can be picked - it’s keypad only.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

It's a blue moon; time to sync the old carphone!

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Just grabbed a 14 Pro after being on Android for 8 years or so, and I am having some significant buyers remorse, even though I am sure 90% of it is just not being fully moved into the new phone and not being used to it and it will hopefully dissipate in a week. My previous phone was a three year old Samsung Galaxy S10e, and I did not really have any problem with it except the charging port was dead and I had to use a wireless charger to charge. I have only had the new phone for a day, but at least messing around in Chrome it seems like there is always a half second beat before clicking on a link and the link getting clicked and the next page loading, and it feels like the touch screen is much less sensitive where I need to mash on a small button or link 5 times to get it to register, while I could easily just tap it with my finger tip on my old phone. While not a major issue, it just feels bad to use. The actual iOS interface feels a bit snappier, so maybe it is just a Chrome issue. I don't suppose there is any way to increase touch sensitivity? I looked through the settings but did not find anything.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Dec 19, 2022

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Use Safari.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
The only browser you should be using is safari - all browsers on iOS are just wrappers for safari in any case; all you’re getting is other devs cruft on top

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Recommended charging stations for an iPhone and an Apple Watch? I don’t need anything for earbuds/AirPods.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Has anyone seen on the roadmap a change to the DYNAMIC ISLAND where tapping on it brings up the quick action bubble versus switching to the app? Long pressing to pop open is the exact opposite behavior that I'd expect/prefer.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

nwin posted:

Recommended charging stations for an iPhone and an Apple Watch? I don’t need anything for earbuds/AirPods.

Simultaneously? If not simultaneously I really enjoy the official apple wireless charger. It will run you $60 altogether if you don’t already have the recommended wattage wall wart though.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Always fun when Android users switch and end up using all the Google apps on an iPhone. Maybe just stick with Android? I'm one of those weirdos who reduces my personal information on Google services whenever possible, but still use Google apps for certain features (Google Maps saved lists, Chrome on desktop for Gsuite collaboration, etc). There's no way I'm syncing browser history with Google.

I'll never understand why Google still insists on putting their search bars at the top of the goddamn screen for their apps - they're never reachable.

It's worth noting that Safari in iOS has extensions like SponsorBlock and AdGuard.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 19, 2022

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Corb3t posted:

Always fun when Android users switch and end up using all the Google apps on an iPhone. Maybe just stick with Android? I'm one of those weirdos who reduces my personal information on Google services whenever possible, but still use Google apps for certain features (Google Maps saved lists, Chrome on desktop for Gsuite collaboration, etc). There's no way I'm syncing browser history with Google.

I'll never understand why Google still insists on putting their search bars at the top of the goddamn screen for their apps - they're never reachable.

It's worth noting that Safari in iOS has extensions like SponsorBlock and AdGuard.

Gmail is much much better than the stock mail app. I'm so used to the way it filters out promotions/social media notifications that trying to use the regular mail app is just painful.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

The Grumbles posted:

Gmail is much much better than the stock mail app. I'm so used to the way it filters out promotions/social media notifications that trying to use the regular mail app is just painful.

I do have Gmail downloaded for my one remaining google email, but I've moved everything over to my own personal domain (It looks more professional), and I have a few different non-Google emails that are nice to be unified, so I use Spark, which offers similar functionality to what you're looking for in Gmail. Plus I really like their native desktop app. It's worth noting that the native Mail app doesn't support Gmail's faster push notifications. Spark does.

Having said that, I'm meticulous about how I manage my e-mail, and 99% of my promotional e-mails get passed to my Archive and automatically marked as read. It is true that Google is better at sorting those kinds of things, I wonder if Apple is hesitant to do something similar because it would require your device to read and analyze your e-mail or something?

When it comes to native iOS apps, I prefer Apple's...

Reminders - Smart lists, shared lists, location-based, siri integration
Notes - smart tagging, smart folders, inline images/videos/slides/docs
Safari - Extensions, reader view, gestures, but I primarily use Firefox on desktop
Apple Music - Airplay 2, live dj albums w/ remix tracklistings, lossless & spatial audio, ~8 million more songs than Spotify
Weather - Used to use Carrot, but Weather is good enough, and I really like the live lockscreen wallpaper).
HomeKit - I am also pretty meticulous about what smart-home devices I purchase so I can have everything easily integrated in within the iPhone's control center - it's a bit of a pain, but my partner refuses to download/install/sign up for any new app or service, so it's a good way to force everything to be as integrated as possible.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 19, 2022

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I've been using Apple Music these past few months after getting a free trial, and I have to say it's way worse than Spotify. Navigation sucks, discovery is way worse, but the main thing that's making me want to go back is just how much better remote play is on Spotify - it's so effortless to control music between any devices on the same network, via whatever device happens to be in my hand at that given moment, and it's kind of ridiculous that Apple still hasn't cracked this, save for its awkward and ancient iTunes remote app, or the apple watch remote. Any audio quality benefits seem pretty negligible considering all my apple devices play music via Bluetooth, or sources that don't allow lossless (like a PC).

And then as someone with a Windows PC, I have to use a 3rd party app like Cider, which is cool and great but is very much a work in progress. I'm not holding my breath for the upcoming Apple music windows app to be any good. I kind of want to stick with Apple music if I can, but they're not making it easy for me!

Spark sounds interesting though - although presumably for it to filter your emails, it'd have to read them in a similar way that Gmail does?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

The Grumbles posted:

I've been using Apple Music these past few months after getting a free trial, and I have to say it's way worse than Spotify. Navigation sucks, discovery is way worse, but the main thing that's making me want to go back is just how much better remote play is on Spotify - it's so effortless to control music between any devices on the same network, via whatever device happens to be in my hand at that given moment, and it's kind of ridiculous that Apple still hasn't cracked this, save for its awkward and ancient iTunes remote app, or the apple watch remote. Any audio quality benefits seem pretty negligible considering all my apple devices play music via Bluetooth, or sources that don't allow lossless (like a PC).

And then as someone with a Windows PC, I have to use a 3rd party app like Cider, which is cool and great but is very much a work in progress. I'm not holding my breath for the upcoming Apple music windows app to be any good. I kind of want to stick with Apple music if I can, but they're not making it easy for me!

Spark sounds interesting though - although presumably for it to filter your emails, it'd have to read them in a similar way that Gmail does?

Apple has solved this issue - it's Airplay 2. I have 6 Sonos speakers and a 2 Homepod Minis in the house that I can multi-room Airplay 2 to with ease. Spotify has been dragging their feet for over 2 years now for no real reason and could have implemented it by now, and it's one of the reasons I switched, along them dragging their feet on stuff like Shortcuts support and Apple Watch downloads (which still sucks!). It also bugged me that they started bombarding me with podcast content when I have no interest in it.

Spotify certainly has better AI-based discovery tools, but I get plenty of opportunities to discover new music using Apple Music's curated music using Radio channels/DJs. Admittedly, I get way more discovery out of DJ music sets that aren't even available on Spotify than I do my Discover Weekly or New Release Friday - I prefer using Music Harbor to track all my artist's releases and add them to my own playlist every week instead of relying on Spotify's algorithm to tell me what music to listen to, but Apple Music has similar playlists if I need them.

I guess I just find value in discovering music through the DJs/artists I trust, not just an algorithm based on my tastes.

Live DJ sets like this one are seemingly unavailable on Spotify. I also enjoy Apple Music’s track listings for live mixed albums.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 19, 2022

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Apple Music sucks.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I’ve been using Apple Music since 2016 and I think it’s fine.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Grumbles posted:

My Gmail is unusable due to other people being idiots, but the best way to not be bothered by promotions and social media emails is to not be subscribed to them. Native mail app works perfectly fine for me with the handful of email addresses I use and the the Hide My Email function is awesome.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

American McGay posted:

Apple Music sucks.
I used a free trial of it years ago and found this to be the case, but then again, I'm also a PC user. The one benefit to Apple Music over Spotify was that with Apple Music, titles automatically displayed when I turned on my car and started using it. With Spotify or other apps, I have to open Music.app first and started playing something in there for titles to display properly in my car. For everything else, I like Spotify better and have been using Spotify Premium for something like 6 years now with no plans to quit.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

American McGay posted:

Apple Music sucks.

Getting rid of YouTube ads is the killer feature YouTube music needed to win

Only way Apple will get me to sub to them is adding, uh... Free Apple news i guess. Or Apple tv Plus.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

American McGay posted:

Apple Music sucks.

Not if you care about the music catalog and audio quality of the content that's being streamed. Apple Music is better. They even pay artists more.

Sorry.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

The Grumbles posted:

I’m a sick gently caress who likes outlook.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Mister Facetious posted:

Only way Apple will get me to sub to them is adding, uh... Free Apple news i guess. Or Apple tv Plus.

Apple One is a great value if you're already paying for Spotify Family + iCloud and have any interest in News or TV+. We dumped Spotify Family and saved money overall.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 19, 2022

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Corb3t posted:

Apple has solved this issue - it's Airplay 2. I have 6 Sonos speakers and a 2 Homepod Minis in the house that I can multi-room Airplay 2 to with ease. Spotify has been dragging their feet for over 2 years now for no real reason and could have implemented it by now, and it's one of the reasons I switched, along them dragging their feet on stuff like Shortcuts support and Apple Watch downloads (which still sucks!). It also bugged me that they started bombarding me with podcast content when I have no interest in it.

Spotify solved this issue years ago though. The solution being 'you can always control Spotify running on any device on your network, via any other device on your network logged into the same account, through whatever speakers you already own'. That's a much more elegant solution than 'buy a load of expensive new Apple speakers'. People are pretty attached to their soundsystems - or they just operate a hobbled together mishmash of speakers and laptops and smartTVs and whatever elsee - and I think Spotify has made the right approach in designing something that works in most scenarios rather than doing the whole apple walled garden thing. I'm not going to get rid of my nice Celestion wooden cabs.

Also, I miss being able to play music on my PC, and controlling it via my phone. But yeah Apple Music truly does suck. If I wanna listen to the radio, I'll put on NTS or something.

I really wanted to like Apple Music, because I was ready to quit spotify after all the Joe Rogan stuff. But it turns out Apple Music is bad!

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 19, 2022

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Corb3t posted:

Not if you care about the music catalog and audio quality of the content that's being streamed. Apple Music is better. They even pay artists more.

Sorry.
🤡

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

The Grumbles posted:

Spotify solved this issue years ago though. The solution being 'you can always control Spotify running on any device on your network, via any other device on your network logged into the same account, through whatever speakers you already own'. That's a much more elegant solution than 'buy a load of expensive new Apple speakers'.

Also, I miss being able to play music on my PC, and controlling it via my phone. But yeah Apple Music truly does suck. If I wanna listen to the radio, I'll put on NTS or something.

They're not Apple speakers lol, any app or device is free to utilize the Airplay 2 spec and allow their apps to take advantage of iOS and MacOS's built-in multi-room functionality. Your use-case seems more niche than your average user dropping $100 on an Ikea Sonos speaker - users have an expectation that Spotify will be fully integrated, and they're not, just because Spotify are big babies. Airplay2 isn't a walled garden at all - anybody with an iOS app can implement it in a matter of days, but Spotify won't, and it makes Spotify's experience worse as a result.

I've considered getting one of these fancy multi-room receivers to hook up some of my older bookshelves and a receiver.

Edit: When it comes to streaming platforms, at the end of the day, content is king, and Apple Music has more. Do I watch things on Netflix for the interface? No. It's so funny that people have brand allegiance to Spotify of all things - I think they've been rather inept at rolling out new features for their platform, and I've been using them before they were even in the US. Was rather annoyed when they go rid of their third party apps platform as well.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 19, 2022

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Corb3t posted:

They're not Apple speakers lol, any app or device is free to utilize the Airplay 2 spec and allow their apps to take advantage of iOS and MacOS's built-in multi-room functionality. Your use-case seems more niche than your average user dropping $100 on an Ikea Sonos speaker - users have an expectation that Spotify will be fully integrated, and they're not, just because Spotify are big babies.

Most people just play music out of their smart TVs or PC speakers or whatever soundsystem they have available. I think spotify did the right thing in setting up an ecosystem where people don't have to buy expensive new speakers. I was at a house party this year where in one of the rooms someone had put a phone in an overturned salad bowl to play music in the kitchen. And you could still use any other laptop in the house to control the music. I don't know what else to tell you.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Airplay 2 is the exact opposite of what that poster was complaining about lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Not worth it

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 19, 2022