Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

I can’t think of another slipcover that has hit such crazy prices on resale?

So yeah I’d like to apologize to VS for my grumbling they went quiet about this for 6 months ha it’s definitely a cool cover for sure.

Was this some crazy slipcover or the regular one that we all got at Black Friday? Mine just showed up today and it’s cool and all, but that price doesn’t make any sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

This special one is lenticular and you can see her boobs when you move it around.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
What was the price for the super secret slipcover during the Halfway sale? How mad at myself should I be for not getting it?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

King Vidiot posted:

What was the price for the super secret slipcover during the Halfway sale? How mad at myself should I be for not getting it?

It was a preorder from last years Black Friday sale IIRC (or even longer than that) and everyone thought it was a joke because it was advertised as an “invisible sleeve” and it went for pennies.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

dorium posted:

It was a preorder from last years Black Friday sale IIRC (or even longer than that) and everyone thought it was a joke because it was advertised as an “invisible sleeve” and it went for pennies.

It was an April Fool’s release actually, and it was priced at $6 advertised as a “translucent slipcover” (if they’d said “invisible” people would have made the connection a lot sooner)

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Priced for $6 and resold on eBay half a year later for $140 minimum

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

VS should sell blindbox slipcovers.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Chris James 2 posted:

Priced for $6 and resold on eBay half a year later for $140 minimum

So I should be really, really mad at myself. Got it!

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

King Vidiot posted:

So I should be really, really mad at myself. Got it!

Don't be so hard on yourself. I preordered it and don't have it either! AND I'm out $6!

pwn
May 27, 2004

This poo poo isn't funny anymore. Yeah another pile of discs jesus christ

I could have easily gone through several hundred dollars. This was the winnowed-down list.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

pwn posted:

I will reserve my anger slightly. They still haven't shipped mine.

You're really whiny about a $5 purchase.

I just got my shipping notice Friday

pwn
May 27, 2004

If you put your shingle out, you should be ready for business.

And $6.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Peacemaker Blu-Ray down to $19 on BBY and Amazon. I loved it and thought it really showed Cena's strengths as an actor.

Also, Westworld 4th season UHD down to $29 from $43. Yeah, whatever show depending on your take but good savings for a new release!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Woah Harry Potter UHD set is $60 on Amazon, never seen it that low before. Still gonna pass on it though because I already own the blu rays and the reviews on the UHDs don't really make them seem like essential upgrades.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I got around to watching Roadhouse this weekend. I hadn't seen it in at least 10 years, and it's a very Vinegar Syndrome movie. It feels like the alchemy was just perfect for making it live in the public consciousness, and had anything been slightly different, it would have been a movie fit for the VSA line.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Roadhouse is shockingly good and I think Arrow actually did a very nice blu ray of it didn't they? or was it Shout Factory?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Roadhouse is shockingly good and I think Arrow actually did a very nice blu ray of it didn't they? or was it Shout Factory?

Vinegar Syndrome dropped a 4k, and it looks amazing.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Vinegar Syndrome just put out a UHD on their VSU line.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's amazing how often I'll be thinking about a movie like Road House, thinking something like "it's really drat good and probably better than it has any right to be, not sure exactly why but it's just really really good", and then I look it up and it was shot by Dean Cundey.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Basebf555 posted:

It's amazing how often I'll be thinking about a movie like Road House, thinking something like "it's really drat good and probably better than it has any right to be, not sure exactly why but it's just really really good", and then I look it up and it was shot by Dean Cundey.

Snuck it in between Who Framed Roger Rabbit and BTTF 2.

Has anyone ever figured out what happened to that guy's career? Is he just an rear end in a top hat?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
One of the many victims of Garfield

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

morestuff posted:

Snuck it in between Who Framed Roger Rabbit and BTTF 2.

Has anyone ever figured out what happened to that guy's career? Is he just an rear end in a top hat?

He’s largely retired from filmmaking and teaches film at UC Riverside now.

EDIT:

I've also met him at the ASC Clubhouse Open House and he's super nice from the short time I interacted with him, and by all accounts from my friends who went through the UC Riverside film program, Dean is a nice person.

VoodooXT fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Dec 19, 2022

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yeah, prior to VinSyn Shout Factory released a blu ray version, which is what I have.

Don't really love Road House enough to double dip on a 4k version of it :shrug:

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

VoodooXT posted:

He’s largely retired from filmmaking and teaches film at UC Riverside now.

EDIT:

I've also met him at the ASC Clubhouse Open House and he's super nice from the short time I interacted with him, and by all accounts from my friends who went through the UC Riverside film program, Dean is a nice person.

Good to hear. When you see a guy's career peter out like that for seemingly no good reason it seems like a red flag but I should be less judgmental

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

morestuff posted:

Good to hear. When you see a guy's career peter out like that for seemingly no good reason it seems like a red flag but I should be less judgmental

No, it’s not exactly a bad kneejerk reaction. There are plenty of DPs in this industry who were forcibly retired because they were extremely difficult to work with and/or super entitled.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I do wonder why he takes the projects he does though, it's not like he's ever completely stopped working. If he's going to take a cheap quick paycheck job you'd think he could shoot an indie that'd be thrilled to have him instead of Anastasia: Once Upon a Time, which shot in Louisville

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

morestuff posted:

I do wonder why he takes the projects he does though, it's not like he's ever completely stopped working. If he's going to take a cheap quick paycheck job you'd think he could shoot an indie that'd be thrilled to have him instead of Anastasia: Once Upon a Time, which shot in Louisville

It reads to me like he just takes jobs he feels like based on convenience and probably also relationships. Like, I'd guess there was a producer or somebody on that Anastasia movie who he was good friends with and he decided it would be a fun little low pressure gig.

Because yea, a guy who's worked multiple times with Zemekis and Spielberg should be able to get more high profile work if that's all he was concerned about. He did do two episodes of the Boba Fett show, maybe that was more of a higher paying job.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Boywhiz88 posted:

Also, Westworld 4th season UHD down to $29 from $43. Yeah, whatever show depending on your take but good savings for a new release!

I'm sure it will firesale lower, it's a show that got panned and axed and they are pushing it off to ad-supported streaming, probably to counter the residual payouts.

I can see getting these for a completionist sake, but this one was roughhhhhhh

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah, prior to VinSyn Shout Factory released a blu ray version, which is what I have.

Don't really love Road House enough to double dip on a 4k version of it :shrug:

IT looks really good!

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
more IL chat

this person took the restoration trailer and did a side-by-side with the old blu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X0tdSEoG4c&t=60s

looks like they sharpened the hell out of it so all those out-of-focus elements i talked about that pissed me off are less egregious (ie the shot I start with in that link)

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

zer0spunk posted:

I'm sure it will firesale lower, it's a show that got panned and axed and they are pushing it off to ad-supported streaming, probably to counter the residual payouts.

Season 4 was the best one since the first one (it got very tough to keep watching weekly during season 3, this isn’t a high bar, just saying if you’re interested in seeing the end or the best the show had to offer post-season 1, yeah get this season. Wouldn’t recommend it for this price, but I recommend it eventually in general for those reasons, not just completionism)

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

zer0spunk posted:

Honestly, as a guy who paid way too much attention to Westworld's last 2 seasons, this has been the trend with like... all of them. Season 2's UHD came out and had a big drop pretty quickly.

But yeah... 1,2,4,3 is gonna be the view in terms of best to worst and those last 2 are a huge drop. 2 definitely got up its rear end but had some interesting moments. 1 rules out and out. Great pacing and energy.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I liked a lot of seasons 1-3 but they all have the problem where they start really strong and eventually devolve into stupid uninteresting bullshit. Season 3 ending with a bad dumb kung fu fight killed off the remaining interest I had

It's a shame, great actors and basically good performances top to bottom in the show

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
It's not a show I would recommend to anyone who missed it. yeah, the first season is quality, but then it's diminishing returns and no one will just stop after season 1. I can't do that to friends.

Extra lovely that very few shows get the 4k disc treatment and weak sales of this one will give them an excuse not to produce other things. I would buy the poo poo out of a good number of HBO shows, and a good chunk of them were done on film.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I'm a big Evan Rachel Wood fan so I was mostly sticking it out to support her after season 3's ending killed most of the rest of my interest otherwise

Speaking of, I know it's not a physical media release but the rare stream I'll recommend, for those who haven't seen it yet, is definitely Weird: The Al Yankovic Story on the Roku Channel with her as Madonna and Daniel Radcliffe as Weird Al

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Westworld only had one season what are you marks talking about?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Imagine a world where the wire and the sopranos both had really nice 4k boxsets.

WBD would never

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Westworld only had one season what are you marks talking about?

Westworld is a kickass movie starring Yul Brynner as a robot cowboy, what are you talking about

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Westworld is a kickass movie starring Yul Brynner as a robot cowboy, what are you talking about

There was also the sequel, Futureworld, which I saw on TV once and fell asleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Iron Crowned posted:

There was also the sequel, Futureworld, which I saw on TV once and fell asleep.

as bad as it is, it's still better then the show's version of the futureworld plot line

you also have one of the greatest bird flips in cinema
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhT70B0c7TE&t=96s