Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I definitely recall reading that fake slates of electors had been sent to the national archives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Raskin said "criminal referral".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88dyduvKyPI

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

It is good they are saying "and others" to most/all of these referrals.

"He did not engage in this conspiracy" alone, "our report describes in detail the actions of numerous co-conspirators" there we go

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Multiple times. Get hosed Trump

edit: mention referring to DoJ for insurrection. That's a biggie.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Insurrection baby

and again emphasizing that it's not just Trump and his campaign getting referrals

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I gotta say there is no way in hell DOJ prosecutes 2383 but it's a nice statement

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Referrals to DoJ:

Trump:
Obstruction of an Official Proceeding
Conspiracy to Defraud the United States
Conspiracy to Make a False Statement
"Incite," "Assist" or "Aid or Comfort" an Insurrection

John Eastman:

(sounds like there are more referrals in the report)

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Tayter Swift posted:

Referrals to DoJ:

Trump:
Conspiracy to Defraud the United States
Conspiracy to Make a False Statement
"Incite," "Assist" or "Aid or Comfort" an Insurrection

John Eastman:

(sounds like there are more referrals in the report)

Eastman is in for defrauding as well.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Lol doing a recorded vote just as a "gently caress you".

Lmao.

Edit : Yeah, let's double check it again. Really drive in how loving unanimous it is.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Kinzinger correcting the pronunciation of his name :3: :lol:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
2383 - Insurrection

Bring it.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
How is this a question that requires the Fifth? :yikes:

https://twitter.com/NoLieWithBTC/status/1604908004142239744?s=20&t=5V0RvbGF-fvT6g-YOcIevQ

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwz4k4n1ezM

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Here's the report summary, with 50 pages of footnotes https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/23466415

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Youth Decay posted:

Here's the report summary, with 50 pages of footnotes https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/23466415

quote:

V. Other Conspiracy Statutes (18 U.S.C. §§ 372 and 2384)

Depending on evidence developed by the Department of Justice, the President’s actions with the knowledge of the risk of violence could also constitute a violation of 18 U.S.C. § 372 and § 2384, both of which require proof of a conspiracy. Section 372 prohibits a conspiracy between two or more persons “to prevent, by force, intimidation, or threat, any person from accepting or holding any office, trust, or place of confidence under the United States, or from discharging any duties thereof, or to induce by like means any officer of the United States to leave the place, where his duties as an officer are required to be performed, or to injure him in the discharge of his official duties.”649 Oath Keepers Kelly Meggs, Kenneth Harrelson, and Jessica Watkins were convicted of violating 18 U.S.C. 372 in connection with the January 6 attack on the Capitol.650 The Committee believes that former Chief of Staff, Mark Meadows (who refused to testify and was held in contempt of Congress) could have specific evidence relevant to such charges, as may witnesses who invoked their Fifth Amendment rights against self-incrimination before this Committee.

Section 2384, the seditious conspiracy statute, prohibits “conspir[acy] to overthrow, put down, or to destroy by force the Government of the United States . . . or to oppose by force the authority thereof, or by force to prevent, hinder or delay the execution of any law of the United States . . . .”651 A jury has already determined beyond a reasonable doubt that a conspiracy existed under Section 2384, as the leader of the Oath Keepers and at least one other86 individual were convicted of seditious conspiracy under Section 2384 for their actions related to the attack on the Capitol.652 A trial regarding a series of other “Proud Boy” defendants may also address similar issues.653

The Department of Justice, through its investigative tools that exceed those of this Committee, may have evidence sufficient to prosecute President Trump under Sections 372 and 2384. Accordingly, we believe sufficient evidence exists for a criminal referral of President Trump under these two statutes.

It sounds like they also made a referral for seditious conspiracy?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

XboxPants posted:

It sounds like they also made a referral for seditious conspiracy?
Ah, so THAT's where that got to.

I was wondering.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Hey folks. How soon do you all think we will know if these criminal referrals are a nothingburger just like almost everything Tyrmp related the last 5+ years? Few more months, few more years?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Inner Light posted:

Hey folks. How soon do you all think we will know if these criminal referrals are a nothingburger just like almost everything Tyrmp related the last 5+ years? Few more months, few more years?

The DOJ doesn't care about criminal referrals from Congress. They do care about evidence.

If any of the evidence they are sending over to the DOJ is significant, then it will have an impact.

The actual referral itself has no legal impact. It's just a way to make charges more high-profile (but, this case is already about as high-profile as it gets).

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Inner Light posted:

0 chance anything bad happens to him, op

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I see as usual a bunch of people have to come in just to talk about how nothing ever happens, ever.

Weird how that perfectly correlates with not having a clue what's going on, but who am I to notice obvious things.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I hadn't heard that McCarthy wanted to tell Trump to resign (but of course didn't):

quote:

Rep. Cheney: I guess there’s a question when we were talking about the 25th Amendment resolution, and you asked what would happen after he’s gone? Is there any chance? Are you hearing that he might resign? Is there any reason to think that might happen?

Leader McCarthy: I’ve had a few discussions. My gut tells me no. I’m seriously thinking of having that discussion with him tonight. I haven’t talked to him in a couple of days. From what I know of him, I mean, you guys all know him too, do you think he’d ever back away? But what I think I’m going to do is I’m going to call him. This is what I think. We know [the 25th Amendment resolution] will pass the House. I think there’s a chance it will pass the Senate, even when he’s gone. And I think there’s a lot of different ramifications for that. . . . Again, the only discussion I would have with him is that I think this will pass, and it would be my recommendation you should resign.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Rudy at least is definitely going down, because lmao
https://mobile.twitter.com/hunterw/status/1604927104298422273
that is from Jason Miller's testimony

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I looked at the Fox "News" home page so you didn't have to. The fact that a former president just got referred by loving Congress for seditious conspiracy to overthrow the government of the United States currently sits below, ~checks page~, an article about a CNN host having a "testy exchange" with a former Texas congressman.

What a joke of an organization.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Not a lawyer, but someone in this thread (?) mentioned that you can't pick and choose which questions you answer - you either invoke the Fifth for every single one (allowing the prosecutor to play "gotcha" questions like this) or answer them all.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Xander77 posted:

Not a lawyer, but someone in this thread (?) mentioned that you can't pick and choose which questions you answer - you either invoke the Fifth for every single one (allowing the prosecutor to play "gotcha" questions like this) or answer them all.

That's true in general court settings, but I'm only halfway sure that it applies to Congressional testimony since that's not necessarily supposed to be an adversarial process. Trying to look that up now.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Inner Light posted:

Is it tiresome to post like this? if you don't think this process has any valid purpose then why follow and comment on it? Would you prefer that they not make a criminal referral?

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
HEY GUYS I'VE FLOWN HELICOPTERS IN THIS GAME BEFORE AND I AM AN EXPERT. ALSO, HOW DO I START THE ENGINE?

mdemone posted:

That's true in general court settings, but I'm only halfway sure that it applies to Congressional testimony since that's not necessarily supposed to be an adversarial process. Trying to look that up now.

You can plead the fifth on questions you don't want to answer and answer ones you do, the issue is that you'd best be sure you never stray into the same territory as other questions you didnt answer, as it can invalidate your assertion.

Much less messy to just always plead the fifth.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Grip it and rip it posted:

Is it tiresome to post like this? if you don't think this process has any valid purpose then why follow and comment on it? Would you prefer that they not make a criminal referral?

No it's not tiresome, I do see it has a valid purpose, and all of my questions were in fact genuine and in good faith! Something can have a valid purpose and still be a complete nothingburger, just like all of the inquiries of the last 5+ years. Isn't that tiresome?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Was the hearing today actually aired?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

SalTheBard posted:

Was the hearing today actually aired?

Yes, it ran from 1-2 pm, EST. I watched it on C-SPAN. I don't know if there were any others.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Inner Light posted:

No it's not tiresome, I do see it has a valid purpose, and all of my questions were in fact genuine and in good faith! Something can have a valid purpose and still be a complete nothingburger, just like all of the inquiries of the last 5+ years. Isn't that tiresome?
I think "tiresome" applies more to how information is received than its existence or need to be compiled. Metaphorically, there's a significantly greater amount of research into global warming and, subsequently, climate change in general. That body of work is existential, rational, scientific, and well supported over multiple decades. What's "tiresome" is seeing it ignored by individuals, industries, and governments.

The past seven years have perhaps become somewhat exhausting, politically, as a combination of the data and being forced into a position to compile that data. That individuals, committees, and branches have buried those findings or failed to act could be viewed by some as tiresome.

A "nothing burger" indicates, generally, that one has been duped into believing that others finding it tiresome is reason to ignore it, but the archive of all the crimes is there. Read it, write your representatives, and ask them why they haven't taken action.

(In this case, they seemingly have, that would have been nice had they been a bit faster about it.)

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Read it, write your representatives, and ask them why they haven't taken action.

But the problem is Congress HAS acted, these referrals are in many ways the culmination and huge coda to an expensive focus of Congress. (The other part is the report, which I expect will also have limited real-world effect beyond the political world and terminally online wonks) And, today, it stands as a nothing burger.

We'll see if I evolve over the coming... weeks, months, years to see what real-world effect this inquiry will have beyond politics and terminally online wonks. I'm not holding my breath.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Ynglaur posted:

I looked at the Fox "News" home page so you didn't have to. The fact that a former president just got referred by loving Congress for seditious conspiracy to overthrow the government of the United States currently sits below, ~checks page~, an article about a CNN host having a "testy exchange" with a former Texas congressman.

What a joke of an organization.

Yeah.

There wasn't a mention of it on any of the talk radio stations I subject myself to from time to time either. In a functioning and healthy society, something like this might count as huge news

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Inner Light posted:

But the problem is Congress HAS acted, these referrals are in many ways the culmination and huge coda to an expensive focus of Congress. (The other part is the report, which I expect will also have limited real-world effect beyond the political world and terminally online wonks) And, today, it stands as a nothing burger.

We'll see if I evolve over the coming... weeks, months, years to see what real-world effect this inquiry will have beyond politics and terminally online wonks. I'm not holding my breath.

So as part of your no doubt extensive research, did you check what branch the Department of Justice is in.

You seem pretty disappointed in a committee without reading what its goal is.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Sometimes I think the nothingburgers actually just want mob justice. If they hanged Trump in front of the Capitol tomorrow morning they'd say, "It was two years four years six years too late."

Unfortunately, this effectively devolves from "I hate tyrants" to "I want my form of tyranny to win."

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Youth Decay posted:

Am I going to read this whole thing? Yes, yes I am.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Ynglaur posted:

Sometimes I think the nothingburgers actually just want mob justice. If they hanged Trump in front of the Capitol tomorrow morning they'd say, "It was two years four years six years too late."

Unfortunately, this effectively devolves from "I hate tyrants" to "I want my form of tyranny to win."

This is the exact thing you accuse of the "nothingburgers" of doing. Look, I get that there's process here for a reason, and I understand that there's a special prosecutor currently doing this same process on the side with actual teeth, and that the Jan6 committee report will feed into that. I even get that this is technically historic, but "procedure" in Washington is very often in the same category as "decorum" which is that it often amounts to jack poo poo, especially after 8+ years of masks off for the conservative side. They're gonna play dirty and to a cynic today's culmination can look very much like a bunch of congresspeople once again doing nothing of actual substance and then calling it historic. You can't blame people who have spent the past decade in the political and media climate we have of reading the headlines today and going "Sure, throw it on the pile of "procedure" so the GOP can just light it on fire to help burn down the republic".

In any case, it's dumb either way. Either something will happen or it wont, and no one in here can affect what happens in the slightest.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

mutata posted:

This is the exact thing you accuse of the "nothingburgers" of doing. Look, I get that there's process here for a reason, and I understand that there's a special prosecutor currently doing this same process on the side with actual teeth, and that the Jan6 committee report will feed into that. I even get that this is technically historic, but "procedure" in Washington is very often in the same category as "decorum" which is that it often amounts to jack poo poo, especially after 8+ years of masks off for the conservative side. They're gonna play dirty and to a cynic today's culmination can look very much like a bunch of congresspeople once again doing nothing of actual substance and then calling it historic. You can't blame people who have spent the past decade in the political and media climate we have of reading the headlines today and going "Sure, throw it on the pile of "procedure" so the GOP can just light it on fire to help burn down the republic".

In any case, it's dumb either way. Either something will happen or it wont, and no one in here can affect what happens in the slightest.

Without looking it up tell me what you think the goal of this committee is.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

You're trying to start a completely different argument (the one that you want to have based on your assumptions of what I think) and I'm not really interested in having it, so no thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

mutata posted:

You're trying to start a completely different argument (the one that you want to have based on your assumptions of what I think) and I'm not really interested in having it, so no thanks.

So you have no idea.

Cool.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)