Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What best approximates your holiday experience?
This poll is closed.
A time of festivities with family and friends that reminds you of life and love 5 13.89%
A time of rumination and reflection as you consider your year and the next 4 11.11%
A time of quiet, cloudy depression where you fold yourself in shows and video games until it's over 17 47.22%
A time to smoke just so much god damned weed 10 27.78%
Total: 36 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

That was a pretty great comeback tho lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Main event of Fight Circus is worth checkin out for sure

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

However, in a shocking turn of events, O'Malley seems to be the only fighter in the world capable of doing a google and decline Kadyrov's invitations: https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2022/12/18/23515512/sean-omalley-declined-invite-murderer-ramzan-kadyrov-mma-ufc-politics-news

Despite him being a fucknob in all other categories, this small, easy and yet extremely important gesture has suddenly catapulted him to the top of MMA's karmic standings, where he forever shall reign in peace together with GSP and a pro-vax version of Roxy from another timeline.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Most, if not all, the fighters who go to Dagestan to pal with Kadyrov are managed by Ali Abdulaziz iirc.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

Yeah, there's probably a correlation there. O'Malley famously manages himself, which so far has turned out rather well for him.

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
Ok now I'll be an O'Malley fan fine

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

I don't make the rules, ok?

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

It's time for everyone's favorite holiday tradition: The second annual "there's no UFC for a month so aside from NYE we ain't got poo poo going on" end of the year community feedback loop.

2022 was a weird loving year, we've tried a number of experiments and I wanted to see how people felt about them/if we should do poo poo differently going into 2023. So, for anyone who cares between now and January 1st, the suggestion box is open. There are a few specific questions:

COMBINED UFC/B-LEAGUE THREADS: Last year's big change was combining the threads. Twelve months later, y'all still good with this or should we split them back up?

COMBINED UFC/B-LEAGUE GDTS: This summer we started doing catch-all GDTs when weeks or weekends had events across multiple promotions. Has that been working for people, or should we go back to separate GDTs?

MY ENDLESS WORD VOMIT: At the start of the year my breakdowns were ~2500 words and OPs had maybe two or three line items, and both have gradually expanded. Have we reached a point where the length of OPs and writeups is more annoying than interesting?

HIDDEN STEAM GIVEAWAYS: This one isn't really feedback, I think it's been at least half a year since anyone bothered with these and I'm putting them out of their misery starting in January, so if you already care enough to be putting in communal feedback in the first place let me know if you want a dumb video game as a last hurrah

and, finally

OKAY, BUT HOW ARE YOU DOING: This is where everything else goes. All general feedback, ideas, requests, thoughts and confessions of vicious forum grudges are welcome.

Congratulations on surviving 2022, thank you for your posting, and everyone who doesn't stay up until seven AM PST watching JMMA for New Year's Eve isn't a real MMA fan.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Not doing great, thank u for asking

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

-all of the combined things are good and should continue.

-You should feel less pressure to produce so many words especially for fights that don't matter. Maybe give yourself the restriction of only writing more than 100 words for 5 fights on a card?

-The steam giveaways are fun but not necessary. After I won one I stopped claiming the ones I saw because I didn't want you to feel obligated to give me something though I got a few hours out of the dodgeball game you gave me even though I was bad at it.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

CarlCX posted:

COMBINED UFC/B-LEAGUE THREADS: Last year's big change was combining the threads. Twelve months later, y'all still good with this or should we split them back up?

It's way better now imo

CarlCX posted:

COMBINED UFC/B-LEAGUE GDTS: This summer we started doing catch-all GDTs when weeks or weekends had events across multiple promotions. Has that been working for people, or should we go back to separate GDTs?

I could go either way on this, I tend to get lost during busy weeks but that could just be a me problem. I do like the additional comments though.

CarlCX posted:

MY ENDLESS WORD VOMIT: At the start of the year my breakdowns were ~2500 words and OPs had maybe two or three line items, and both have gradually expanded. Have we reached a point where the length of OPs and writeups is more annoying than interesting?

I like the write-ups but please don't pressure yourself to spend excessive time on this.

Maybe splitting the write-up into a couple posts for main card and prelims would help my ADHD brain but idk if anyone else would like this.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

https://twitter.com/NateRockQuarry/status/1604892829750538240?t=00-1xCCvqVAxvjkceKxkgw&s=19

this act would give ali act protections to mma fighters

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Catch all monthly threads: good, helps contextualize when things happened, especially when the old b league threads would run for like 2 years

Catch all GDTs: as an early proponent of them, i like em. while the b league portions dont tend to get a ton of traffic, again, i think being able to seek out people talking about specific fights is easier with a GDT instead of trawling through a monthly thread

Carl's Big Posts: good and enjoyable, but i worry about your burnout/quality of life. Feel free to scale back, or enlist others to do some write ups. heck, maybe i can contribute to the bellator/invicta/pfl portions of the montly threads, provided i remember

i am ok. How are you, forums friend Carl?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
COMBINED UFC/B-LEAGUE THREADS: This change works pretty well. The traffic wasn't overwhelming or anything.

COMBINED UFC/B-LEAGUE GDTS: This was fine? I don't get to watch many cards now so maybe others feel different.

MY ENDLESS WORD VOMIT: I like them but scale it back if you feel yourself burning out!

OKAY, BUT HOW ARE YOU DOING: Everything is hosed as normal. Someone decided I'm their posting enemy this year and were grudge posting so that was a weird experience. How are you, Carl?

quote:

Congratulations on surviving 2022, thank you for your posting, and everyone who doesn't stay up until seven AM PST watching JMMA for New Year's Eve isn't a real MMA fan.

we're almost there yay

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
COMBINED UFC/B-LEAGUE THREADS:
Love it.

COMBINED UFC/B-LEAGUE GDTS:
Love it.

MY ENDLESS WORD VOMIT:
I don't read them, but I get the impression that the majority of posters love it.

OKAY, BUT HOW ARE YOU DOING:
Company had mass lay offs right before Thanksgiving, bad time to work in the mortgage industry. So now I'm unemployed for the holidays. :lol: I work in banking/finance compliance (5-10 years experience). I'm in California Bay Area and am struggling to find a job at even 75% of the median income range for this area. I should have learned to code. Thinking about moving out of the country. So frustrated.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Here's some depressing news:
https://combatsportslaw.com/2022/12/18/study-41-of-retired-fighters-likely-have-cte-the-more-bouts-the-higher-the-risk/

quote:

Results 176 participants (110 boxers and 66 MMA) were included in the analysis. 72 (41%)/176 were categorised as having Traumatic Encephalopathy Syndrome (“TES” which are the criterial for when someone is suspected to have CTE while alive since a formal diagnosis cannot be made until death), the likelihood of TES increasing with age. TES+ participants tended to be boxers, started fighting at a younger age, had more professional fights and knocked out more frequently.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Tape Delay Kickboxing
Volume 4

MAROOMS presents KNOCK OUT 2022 vol. 8 - 2022-12-11
Korakuen Hall, Bunkyo, Tokyo, Japan

KNOCK OUT is a tier below K-1 and RISE, and runs all of their shows out of either Korakuen Hall or Shinjuku FACE these days. The difference is that they run both kickboxing and Muay Thai on the same card, so for Muay Thai rules they are the top promotion in Japan.

This show has four title fights, as well as a 5-round non-title main event. The main event pits KNOCK OUT RED Super Bantamweight Champion “Speed Actor” Eisaku Ogasawara (40-7-1, 21 KO) fighting up a weight class at Featherweight against Chartpayak Saksatun (80-29-3, 17 KO), who seems to be the #9 ranked Featherweight at Rajadamnern Stadium but does not have any titles listed to his name. Ogasawara is on a 9-fight winning streak dating back to February 2020. Chartpayak is coming to Japan for the first time.

Fights highlighted in bold were ones that I found particularly entertaining.

KNOCK OUT Basics:
- KNOCK OUT BLACK is kickboxing rules. No elbows. Knee strikes cannot be delivered when clinching under the opponent's armpits. KNOCK OUT BLACK rules do allow you to hold the opponent’s neck while kneeing.
- KNOCK OUT RED is Muay Thai rules. Elbows allowed. Knee strikes can be delivered when clinching under the opponent’s armpits. Title fights are 5 3-minute rounds.
- Most fights have one extra round in the event of a draw, and the standard Japanese scoring that commonly awards 10-10 scores for close rounds. In extra rounds, the rules state that the judge must choose a winner and cannot score a draw.
- I couldn’t find anything written in the rules about the length of the clinch for BLACK or RED but in practice the referees break them a moment after the action stalls, which is not typically how clinches are officiated in traditional Muay Thai.
- The color of the gloves indicates if it’s BLACK (KB) or RED (MT) but I also noted it next to the weight of the fight on each line.

Preliminary Fights

Amateur Challenge Match (2 minutes 2 rounds): Shota Yanagisawa vs Daiki Matsumoto (KB 143) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Wk0TxeOnE0
yu-ki vs Masaji (KB 127) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqgLV5RlOS4

Main Card

Takaya Ogura vs Kazuya Kato (KB 121) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ke4Ae_h7UjY
Takashi Ono vs Hikaru Furumura (MT 121) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aS4zhoV4X8
Shoji Otani vs Keima Shoji (KB 138) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnKBt24OoHQ
Hiroki Suzuki vs Mondam Weerasakreck (KB 139) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdJnjaa7Aeo
Yoshiro Tsuzaki vs Kuntap Charoenchai (MT 154 Super Welter Title) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX-GjKrg9Zs
Soichiro Arata vs Hisai Taimu (MT 132 Super Feather Title) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qurznmIsUw
Seiya Furuki vs Reo “red” Kudo (KB 121 Super Bantam Title) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m96fzddZa0
Semi-Final: Riku Otsu vs Shinta (MT 115 Super Fly Title) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCi3ivcI3mQ
Main Event: Eisaku Ogasawara vs Chartpayak Saksatun (MT 127) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znFwHPyYgLE

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

CarlCX posted:

COMBINED UFC/B-LEAGUE THREADS: Think this has worked well.

COMBINED UFC/B-LEAGUE GDTS: Not as big of a fan.

MY ENDLESS WORD VOMIT: Appreciate all your work even if i mostly skim.

OKAY, BUT HOW ARE YOU DOING: Monstrously horrible

Looking forward to another year enjoying morally reprehensible sports with you all.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I like the crazy long write ups, but can we get a ban on quoting them in full? Reading this thread involves so much scrolling I feel like I miss content.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

blue footed boobie posted:

I like the crazy long write ups, but can we get a ban on quoting them in full? Reading this thread involves so much scrolling I feel like I miss content.

I agree

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
As someone who doesn’t follow the sport as much as they used to (and when doing so used to read easily the same volume of utter drivel plus that one Vachyslav Datsyk fansite), your long write-ups are great at catching up for every event and I have only myself to blame for loading them in Awful App.

Combined threads are fine; if people want them split back up they’d better post more, or find new regulars to replace the ones that hosed off.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

A 24 hour probation would be good enough, because then the poster won't be able to participate in the GDT until after it happened. And I agree, even if someone just quotes half of it, that is a ton of scrolling.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
I remember how much research and time I put into the pieces of poo poo I wrote and I burnt out.

If you're a flesh and blood human Carl, proportion your effort to the quality of the card on paper. You're writeups are real good. Your shorter ones will be too.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
I post very infrequently but I've lurked dutifully for years. Here is my input.

COMBINED UFC/B-LEAGUE THREADS: Good. Let's keep it.
COMBINED UFC/B-LEAGUE GDTS: I'm always watching things on delay so I have no opinion here.
MY ENDLESS WORD VOMIT: You are a treasure, but as others have said, don't feel like you can't scale it back or skip one here or there if you are starting to feel like it's becoming something you dread.
OKAY, BUT HOW ARE YOU DOING: Yeah pretty not bad. You?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Fozzy The Bear posted:

A 24 hour probation would be good enough, because then the poster won't be able to participate in the GDT until after it happened. And I agree, even if someone just quotes half of it, that is a ton of scrolling.

Yeah for clarification, I meant banning the act of quoting walls of text, not that a ban should be the punishment.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I'm not linking, but apparently Jake Shields went to Mike Jackson's gym and attacked him before going on to boast about it on social media because he's a loving idiot and is just leaning into the chud thing now.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Fozzy The Bear posted:

A 24 hour probation would be good enough, because then the poster won't be able to participate in the GDT until after it happened.
This is really mean- my posting bros shouldn't be left out of the sacred art of gdt shitposting for making an annoying rear end post imho

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
COMBINED UFC/B-LEAGUE THREADS: Good. Keep it going
COMBINED UFC/B-LEAGUE GDTS: Good. Keep it going
MY ENDLESS WORD VOMIT: Yea, they are great but don't burn yourself out. Maybe skip some of the prelims or even the 'just some fights' cards.
OKAY, BUT HOW ARE YOU DOING: Fairly okay. Getting over a cold.

just quote and :words:

OmegaFartHuffer
Feb 23, 2022
Japanese kickboxing loving rules, thanks for posting the matches and writeups

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
I'll try to edit out people's huge quotes if I see that poo poo, if I miss it feel free to report the post and/or PM me. I probably don't actually wanna probe for that stuff unless someone is an intentional repeat offender.

Combined monthly thread is good. Combined GDTs are fine but we just need to more aggressively link it here cuz people see "Bellator" or something as the first word of the title and don't read on to realize it's also the UFC GDT or whatever.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

COMBINED UFC/B-LEAGUE THREADS: rules.

COMBINED UFC/B-LEAGUE GDTS: I’m often catching up after the fact so having a thread with multiple cards in it to read is nice

MY ENDLESS WORD VOMIT: a joy to read, but if it’s a lot of work maybe limit yourself to main, co main and an optional personal interest fight or something and keep the rest short

OKAY, BUT HOW ARE YOU DOING: awful but thanks for asking

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad

CarlCX posted:

COMBINED UFC/B-LEAGUE THREADS:
I don't watch other leagues but it doesn't bother me. I know all the other leagues are equally stupid but the UFC is simply more accessible to me. Like being an NBA fan and not really caring about NCAA.

quote:

COMBINED UFC/B-LEAGUE GDTS:
I don't care about these because I'm busy watching the fights and when something wild happens it's not like I'm going to find any wild analysis in a GDT that won't be repeated in the normal thread. It's a good way to stop the normal one from being ruined every weekend though.

quote:

MY ENDLESS WORD VOMIT:
they're wonderful and I've told you so via PM. However, they do say that brevity is the soul of wit...

quote:

HIDDEN STEAM GIVEAWAYS
don't know what this is

quote:

OKAY, BUT HOW ARE YOU DOING:
I'm good thanks man happy holidays you rock

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Brut posted:

we just need to more aggressively link it here.

That's fair

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Man, I deeply appreciate everyone's concern for my burnout, but at least as of now I'm dandy. Before a lot of stuff pushed me down a different path in life I was working on entering writing and journalism, so honestly, I've been enjoying coming back to it. I just worry that it's too much poo poo for people to read. While it's hard to imagine new people joining our dead gay forum, I occasionally wonder if they'd stay if they did thanks to all of it.

But no, in terms of my own well-being I'm all good. I only came close to missing one this year and that was because I had a hole in my finger. If things start to turn we'll revisit the great half-assening, but if you're good, I'm good.

Also agreed that we probably don't need probes (or at worst, sixers) for fullpost quoting. I know it's a shitposting tradition but it annoys enough folks that we can probably find other shitposts.

Bluedeanie posted:

Not doing great, thank u for asking

bluedeanie, I hope things get better and you are visited by several merry ghosts.

LobsterMobster posted:

i am ok. How are you, forums friend Carl?

I have had two nights with 4+ hours of sleep in December and I am very tired. Thank you for the exhaustive b-league work you do. Boco, I know you are not participating in democracy but this goes for you too.

ilmucche posted:

Everything is hosed as normal. Someone decided I'm their posting enemy this year and were grudge posting so that was a weird experience. How are you, Carl?

Trick your posting enemies into coming here and we will crush them with facts and logic.

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Company had mass lay offs right before Thanksgiving, bad time to work in the mortgage industry. So now I'm unemployed for the holidays. :lol: I work in banking/finance compliance (5-10 years experience). I'm in California Bay Area and am struggling to find a job at even 75% of the median income range for this area. I should have learned to code. Thinking about moving out of the country. So frustrated.

Saddest high five in the world, fellow "the bay area is unlivable and I should probably go" buddy. The literal only place around here I can even think that might have an opening for your skills is SoFi. I hope you get out of here and wind up somewhere that a California poverty wage buys you a castle.

ccubed posted:

OKAY, BUT HOW ARE YOU DOING: Monstrously horrible

This sucks and should not be so. I am glad you are part of our community of combat reprobates and I hope we at least get you some levity.

Lucasar posted:

I post very infrequently but I've lurked dutifully for years. Here is my input.

OKAY, BUT HOW ARE YOU DOING: Yeah pretty not bad. You?

Honestly, it's pretty cool to know we still have lurkers and it's not just the same baker's dozen of us yelling at each other about Sean O'Malley. Glad you poked out and I hope you get more quiet enjoyment.

Digital Jedi posted:

Fairly okay. Getting over a cold.

My dad told me to get over a cold by squeezing a lemon into a flat soda. He also taught me to eat salad by spooning sugar on it instead of using dressing. Please do not take either of these pieces of advice and I hope you feel better soon.

the yeti posted:

awful but thanks for asking

I am sorry, the yeti. I was going to find a picture of a puppy for you but this is the MMA thread so instead I wound up with a picture of Mauricio "Puppy" Fernandez. I hope it helps, somehow, anyway.

Tangy Zizzle posted:

I'm good thanks man happy holidays you rock

Your PM was super nice at a somewhat weird time and I still very much appreciate it.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I love you Carl, I love all of you

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Carl is a hero and icon <3

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

These threads always bring joy.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Wrt thread overlaps, I wanted to bring up
The Dumb Combat People on Social Media Thread
It's only about a year old, so I'm not sure that the extent to which social media is separable from real life has changed any from then...

but -- I feel like it's inefficient to isolate fighters' viewpoints/beefs/stories from social media from the rest of our discussion.
There is a minority(?) of posters who prefer not to know or discuss figthers' political stances, and I understand that, but I also think it's inevitable, so we might as well.

As an example of how social media ties it all together:

Snowman_McK posted:

I'm not linking, but apparently Jake Shields went to Mike Jackson's gym and attacked him before going on to boast about it on social media because he's a loving idiot and is just leaning into the chud thing now.
This is the kind of thing where I want to get enough detail to know who's in the right, who's in the wrong. I saw the video -- Shields had Jackson mounted, and Jackson wasn't fighting back. I'm not sure he could have gotten out of a Shields mount even if he tried his hardest, but he was sitting there going "why is no one pulling this Nazi off of me? Really?"

Onto my point -- that assault was 4 days ago. Today, John Danaher posts:

That seems pretty cool in a bubble, but it's Danaher -- there's no way he doesn't understand the message of what he's posting. At the very least, you know he doesn't disqualify associating with Shields over all this.

In a better world, we could all just be making Diaz drinking airplane water making him fat jokes.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 20, 2022

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I definitely prefer to keep fighters' lovely takes in a containment thread. Keeping up to date with who of the thousands of fighters out there are the biggest shitheads only seems to add misery to the posting experience. But I'm just a random lurker.

(who also loves Carl's write-ups. Go Carl!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Imo the containment thread's function isn't so much to keep the news about fighters all positive, but rather to prevent the lovely news about fighters and associated derails from making the main thread into a bummer battleground. If we had posts here every time Jake Shields was terrible, we might as well rename it to be the Jake Shields thread. Not even Jake Shields deserves that fate.

The origin of that thread is actually from the grappling thread where Gordon Ryan and his lovely views were generating more posts than the actual grappling. It's like, yeah, I see why it's relevant and I'll read about it, but can we go back to improving our hug based martial arts now please if not I'll just unbookmark

I'd be ok if the rule was to post here but discuss there.