Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I have contracted the dreaded “random CTDs in Skyrim” syndrome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Disappointing Pie posted:

Is anyone mostly using their Deck as an emulation device via EmuDeck? I'm always paranoid about the experience being compromised or decision paralysis over is this the best way to play these games currently? On paper for me it's perfect, I've been looking for the holy grail of big handheld emulation beast for ages, and this seems to be about it and I already own one. All I'm interested in is PS2 and under emulation... I just worry it's still a little too fiddly to be a great experience. I'm probably being dumb about this lol.

I set up PCSX2 using an online guide and have been playing SSX Tricky and the Armored Core series and it controls quite well. Getting things set up was a bit of a pain but not any more fiddly than it’s always been with emulators since MAME. The upshot is that once you have the community control scheme, you can then customize it pretty easily to fix weirdnesses in how devs originally set up these games. Armored Core originally had look-up/down and strafing set to to shoulder buttons and I remapped everything to the sticks like a modern game. Plays great.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

loudog999 posted:

Does Emudeck offer advantages over just installing your emulators separately? The only game I’m emulating now is Wind Waker HD with cemu, and other than the need to go into desktop mode if I want the toolbar in cemu before I launch WW I haven’t had an issue. The reason I don’t want to install Emudeck is that judging from my history with knockoff Chinese emulating devices, having that many option will send me into a tailspin of finding the “perfect” set of roms for every system, and then after hours of tweaking and setup never play them.

The biggest thing that EmuDeck does is set up all of the control for all of the emulators and Steam Input; I've never felt like I've had to change deadzones or anything, it feels natural and I didn't have to tinker at all.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The one thing Emudeck hasn't been good for for me has been Kirby's Epic Yarn. It's one of those "sideways wiimote" games, and the standard configuration doesn't know what to do with that. I just have to launch Dolphin separately to use different mappings for that one game.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
You folks weren't kidding about Vampire Survivors. Thought I'd give it a go on the PC and TV and 6 hours later :wth:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Hopefully you mean different Dolphin mappings rather than different Steam Input ones, because Dolphin lets you bind controls on a per game basis. I think there's a sideways toggle also. You'd have the same problem if you weren't using Emudeck.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

loudog999 posted:

Does Emudeck offer advantages over just installing your emulators separately?
If you have an emulator setup you're happy with you don't need to use Emudeck. It's fine.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

How do I enable community control layouts and calibrate the joysticks? I have a few games that protondb says are good in Steam, and people mention that they just used the community control schemes, but I can't see a way to check layouts. I know I'm overlooking some obvious things, I'm just having a hell of a time finding them in the various menus.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

With the game open, hit the steam button and you’ll see the option in the nested menu that opens. Once you click that you click on the name of the control scheme up top and can browse community layouts from there.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is there a way to increase the mouse sensitivity in gaming mode?

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Like on the trackpad or stick? Just go into the game's controller config, select the trackpad etc, click the cog to the right and up to say, 300

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Chubby Henparty posted:

Like on the trackpad or stick? Just go into the game's controller config, select the trackpad etc, click the cog to the right and up to say, 300

With a wireless mouse

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Carpet posted:

You folks weren't kidding about Vampire Survivors. Thought I'd give it a go on the PC and TV and 6 hours later :wth:

One of us 🧛‍♀️ 🧛‍♂️ 🧛

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I just bought a game on Steam because it was on sale and works on the Deck even though I have no interest in it.

The voices are back.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

vampire survivors is the only game that makes me cackle like a goblin as i play it

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Disappointing Pie posted:

Is anyone mostly using their Deck as an emulation device via EmuDeck? I'm always paranoid about the experience being compromised or decision paralysis over is this the best way to play these games currently? On paper for me it's perfect, I've been looking for the holy grail of big handheld emulation beast for ages, and this seems to be about it and I already own one. All I'm interested in is PS2 and under emulation... I just worry it's still a little too fiddly to be a great experience. I'm probably being dumb about this lol.

it's crazy how easy and good it is

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

njsykora posted:

I just bought a game on Steam because it was on sale and works on the Deck even though I have no interest in it.

The voices are back.

It's going to be a dangerous winter sale.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is there a way to increase the mouse sensitivity in gaming mode?

Not sure what mouse you're using, but most gaming mice have an option for onboard profiles. I keep a 400 to 1600 range over five steps on my mice, and its worked fine in SteamOS.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Bumhead posted:

It's going to be a dangerous winter sale.

I bought a bunch of games to play.. I touched 1 of the 4.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

tater_salad posted:

I bought a bunch of games to play.. I touched 1 of the 4.

Sounds about right. So far I've played 1 of the 10 new games I picked up during the last sale.

Still got a wishlist packed with games I will buy and ignore while I just keep playing Doom and Dark Souls for the umpteenth time each.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

i wanna get the remote play thing to work but i dont get audio on the deck and i've clicked hte play audio on host thing on the pc

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Primehack on this thing is worth it alone

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Barreft posted:

Primehack on this thing is worth it alone

The wiimote controls for 3 always sucked fairly bad so it's nice having them be something reasonable now that feels like how it always worked

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’m waiting for someone to put a proper Witcher 3 complete edition setup guide and I’ll probably finally give that game a go… on the go.

I saw they already fixed the proton / dx12 issue but I’ll let someone else figure out the best settings for the deck.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1675200/view/3401926123919972634

Valve has released an ~25 pages ebook about the Steam Deck's success. It shows a ton of prototype hardware designs. This might also be the first confirmation of a future hardware revision I've seen. Not that you should put off getting one.

e: VVVV :doh: Yeah this is old alright.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Dec 19, 2022

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

they put that out about 4 months ago :v:

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Heran Bago posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1675200/view/3401926123919972634

Valve has released an ~25 pages ebook about the Steam Deck's success. It shows a ton of prototype hardware designs. This might also be the first confirmation of a future hardware revision I've seen. Not that you should put off getting one.

This thing was released back in August. It's cool as hell, but it's not the thing that's been sparking a bunch of additional discussion about a next revision, etc.

https://www.theverge.com/23499215/valve-steam-deck-interview-late-2022 this was the article where they discuss plans for an eventual v2 and the possibility of an updated Steam Controller, though all this is on a timeline of years in all likelyhood.

I recently dug my old Steam Controller out of a storage bin for playing my Deck docked and I forgot how much this thing owned. It was weird and not for everybody but god I love it.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

This contributes nothing of value, but now that I've got EmuDeck working and a stable of new PC games to play, I feel compelled to say again: gently caress me, the Deck is wonderful.

I tell every PC gamer I know how great it is and I'm sure it's getting annoying, but the only things that have ever smashed my expectations so hard that I openly proselytized for them like this are the real pseudoephedrine Sudafed and the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie

Vegastar posted:

I recently dug my old Steam Controller out of a storage bin for playing my Deck docked and I forgot how much this thing owned. It was weird and not for everybody but god I love it.
You and me buddy, the last cowboys

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Squiggle posted:

You and me buddy, the last cowboys

I'm just always amazed at how good the trackball/inertia feel is for camera control. Spin and tap, small slide for precision. It's such a shame the idea never really took off and the ergonomics of trying to cram dual sticks and a comfortable touchpad option in to a normal controller build to give people the option is definitely not an easy task.

A modular design where you could pop out and in various dpad/joystick/touchpad/button setups could be an interesting direction to run with it.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

And something about gyro with the controller vs gyro while holding the Deck felt way better. I think it comes down to the way you hold the deck upright, vs the way you hold a controller sort of tilted down toward a TV. It felt really intuitive, and swinging your screen around at the same time as the controller is...disorienting in a way that the SC didn't have to deal with.

Doom 2016 on a TV on the Steam Controller with gyro was a fuckin blast

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

I hadn't seen it and it's neat!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I tried out Rimworld on the deck last night. It's weird how well it controls, especially compared to some of the other mouse-controlled games I tried on it handle (Plague Inc and Kingdom Rush). The only real snags I ran into was that it would sometimes scroll the screen when the pointer was at the top or bottom of the screen.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The 2 most interesting things from that interview are that they consider the other handheld PCs to be partners instead of competitors, and that they're considering a straight up Steam Machine revival. Hopefully that latter one leans a bit on the mini PC boom of the last few years since a lot of people I've seen just shove SteamOS on those to use as a console anyway.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Not sure what mouse you're using, but most gaming mice have an option for onboard profiles. I keep a 400 to 1600 range over five steps on my mice, and its worked fine in SteamOS.

I can increase the sensitivity in desktop mode but in gaming mode it's pretty slow. It's just a cheap logitech so IDK that it has different DPI settings built in.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Horizon Zero Dawn has been fine so far, locked at 30 with medium settings. I’m not sure if I’ll complete it on the deck since I have it on PlayStation, just need to download it again on my PS5. Wind Waker HD has been a joy however. I forget how cute and funny it is every time I start it over. The scene where link is about to get chucked over the wall in a barrel had me giggling last night.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Has anyone completely lost the ability to bring up the keyboard in Desktop Mode? I've tried everything and it just doesn't come up anymore.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

sigher posted:

Has anyone completely lost the ability to bring up the keyboard in Desktop Mode? I've tried everything and it just doesn't come up anymore.

That has been happening to me a lot lately, seemingly over the last week or MAYBE two - noticed that Steam is seemingly hung. You have to open System Monitor and right-click->send signal->kill the steam process. Relaunch Steam, and it should work then and seems to continue to work. It may or may not work once you go in and out of Game Mode again.

I'm on the Preview channel for Steam updates, if it helps.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 19, 2022

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Has anyone gotten Assassin's Creed Valhalla working through Heroic Launcher?

I installed it, but whenever I try to launch the game, nothing happens.

Like it just doesn't act like I clicked anything.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

sigher posted:

Steam’s gotta be running!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

So, I guess Gamestream/Moonlight is hosed what's everyone using for in-home streaming? I can use Steamlink from my PC to my Deck but everyone seems to think Moonlight was, like, way way better