Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Many AIB 7900s are just as large as the 4090s.

and for good reason once you look at the noise measurements, the AIB models are ~10dB quieter than the reference despite pulling more power at stock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Don’t let AMD sell you on anemic cooling being a feature.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

VulgarandStupid posted:

Don’t let AMD sell you on anemic cooling being a feature.

You don't need to strap an AC unit to the GPU once you dial back the lovely factory OC!

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Need some advice on planning a build around my old 2070 super FE for my partner. They had recently suggested to play some games together and they do play games on their free time on a old laptop they have. So i thought i could plan a build around my 2070 super FE that i was planning on replacing anyways. Games they currently play are mostly indie dating games and Sims but would like to be able to play Valheim and other co-op games with me. Was thinking of a sandwich case layout in as compact a size as possible using a blackridge or some other low profile cooler instead of an AIO since they might travel with it. Any suggestions on a case in 2022? Also thinking about deshrouding the 2070 but the FE shroud and heatsink seem like a mess to work around.

Found this site while looking for cases, thought it might be useful for others: CaseEnd

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 19, 2022

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I like SFF and built SFF but you pay a premium for "might travel with it" to get to things like a Black Ridge in a tiny portable case in terms of cost, noise, and pain-in-the-assness. Are they really gonna travel with it?

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I like SFF and built SFF but you pay a premium for "might travel with it" to get to things like a Black Ridge in a tiny portable case in terms of cost, noise, and pain-in-the-assness. Are they really gonna travel with it?

At least once for sure. They have a work trip coming up next year and will be gone for a month or so. I have a couple of pelican case knockoffs from harbor freight that i could easily fit something like a dan a4 laying around.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

ughhhh posted:

At least once for sure. They have a work trip coming up next year and will be gone for a month or so. I have a couple of pelican case knockoffs from harbor freight that i could easily fit something like a dan a4 laying around.

This is veering well away from the scope of this thread but as a road warrior I've never really felt the need to have my PC gaming with me on the road. If it's super important to them, go for it! It's a nice thing to do.

If they're traveling station-to-station (eg somewhere for a month without moving around), SFF could make sense. I think if I were to cart around a PC I'd prefer something like Node 202 console style format versus a relatively square sandwich format. The Node 202 should fit a 2070 super, and if you pair that with like a decently low power AM4 setup (5600?) you could get the included 450W SFF PSU for even easier building.

If they're doing 100+ segments a year or M/R weekly to client sites and want to game that is the domain of the dreaded ~gaming laptop~

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

ughhhh posted:

Some thoughts:

1. I think you should just get your partner a Steam Deck, if they’re gonna be on the road so much.

Definitely consider something like a Steam Deck over building a 2070 gaming PC into a Pelican case with the hope that your partner will drag it along with them on a monthlong business trip.

2. You can take the 2070 and the remainder of your budget and build them a much more affordable, less compromised, desktop computer for the home around it. With RGB as god intended.

Do still make them a gaming PC, it sounds like they need a new computer and like you want to involve them more in your hobby.

3. If you’re dead-set on “portable desktop PC” that can hang with the big budget i7s/i9s/xeons from a couple years ago in certain tasks, and it must be in that form-factor, then a $600 M1 Mac Mini will play like 70% of indie weeb games natively/thru Rosetta, and the remaining 30% can probably be emulated effectively thru Parallels or whatever.

If they’re playable on an old low-power laptop, they’re probably not much of a challenge for M1. There’s supposedly a Mac version of Valheim in the works too.

A Mac Mini won’t be nearly as compatible with the Steam library as something like a Steam Deck will, but it’ll be more capable at desktop work while still being much better at portability and packability than what you’re planning.

They use much less power, which makes them better suited for setting up in a hotel room or office or whatever, and they’re relatively inexpensive compared to what people expect to spend on a gaming PC, or what you expect to spend making a 2070 “portable”.

4. If you’re even remotely on board with the Mac Mini suggestion then really you should just spend $200-300 more and get the same computer in MacBook Air form and that way your SO can replace the old laptop.

5. Get your partner a Steam Deck. Build them a gaming rig with the 2070. Consider replacing their old laptop with something like an M1/M2 MacBook Air because there’s still nothing in the Windows space that comes close to touching it for the money, and the QoL improvements for doing “day to day laptop poo poo” are probably worth the lack of compatibility with most AAA games.

They’ll still probably be able to play a ton of (indie/dating/weeb) poo poo, and anything that won’t run on the laptop will happily run on the Steam Deck and 2070 gaming PC.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Yeah, even a 10 liter sff isn’t fun to pack back and forth. I packed one between homes for a year and it was a huge pain in the rear end.

Edit: to add something of value, cases id look for would be sliger, Dan a4 and maybe a velka 7. I’d watch hardwareswap and buy used, but that’s me.

Canna Happy fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Dec 19, 2022

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
The thing I don't get about lugging a 'portable' SFF case around is what do you do about peripherals and a monitor

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 19, 2022

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Butterfly Valley posted:

The thing I don't get about lugging a 'portable' SFF case around is what do you do about components and a monitor
You bring two bags.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

I should have been a bit clearer on the fact that traveling with it was just a idea and not a requirement for the build. The main idea was to build something aesthetically pleasing (so willing to put a larger portion of a budget into a case) while bringing over the 2070 super i have. I was eyeing the louqe ghost, any reason that hasnt been suggested much?

Butterfly Valley posted:

The thing I don't get about lugging a 'portable' SFF case around is what do you do about peripherals and a monitor

They already travel with a 60% keyboard and mouse and most air bnb and hotels have monitors :shrug:

I know people have been raving about the steam deck, but what is it? Is it like the steam link they sold a while back or is it a stand alone portable console like a switch?

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Dec 19, 2022

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

If you're looking for an aesthetically pleasant SFF case then check out the Fractal Ridge, it's a recent release and has been the subject of much oohh-ing and aahh-ing around here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsGbYLaafC4

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

ughhhh posted:

I know people have been raving about the steam deck, but what is it? Is it like the steam link they sold a while back or is it a stand alone portable console like a switch?

It's a standalone portable console (technically a Linux machine) and it runs everything locally and has the same form factor as a Switch but a lot more ergonomic (and a bit bigger).

It comes pre-loaded with SteamOS which has two sides: the console-like experience "gaming mode" which is its default UI/UX, very similar to Steam's big picture mode. You never need to switch away from Gaming Mode unless you're a tinkerer (or want to do emulation).

If you can do something on Linux, you can do it on the Deck. You can even install Windows on it. You can also run the "desktop mode" which is more of a standard linux desktop.

You buy the thing, turn on the thing, sign into steam, update the thing, download a game, and then you play the game

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I mean if the priority is aesthetics you pick what you like the look of and you build in that. Most modern SFF cases are pretty decent quality and there are so many of them, so if you find something you like the look of go start poking around SFF boards to make sure there aren't any serious flaws.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Canna Happy posted:

Yeah, even a 10 liter sff isn’t fun to pack back and forth. I packed one between homes for a year and it was a huge pain in the rear end.

Edit: to add something of value, cases id look for would be sliger, Dan a4 and maybe a velka 7. I’d watch hardwareswap and buy used, but that’s me.

sliger cases are heavy. probably not the best to carry around.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

ughhhh posted:

I was eyeing the louqe ghost, any reason that hasnt been suggested much?

As far as I remember the stock cooling performance isn't great without the extra modular bits and it has the same issue as other early sandwich layout cases where the Nvidia 3000/4000 series reference cards have awful thermals due to the flow through cooler being blocked. It should fit a 2070 and a not too power hungry CPU just fine though. Basically:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I mean if the priority is aesthetics you pick what you like the look of and you build in that. Most modern SFF cases are pretty decent quality and there are so many of them, so if you find something you like the look of go start poking around SFF boards to make sure there aren't any serious flaws.

:hmmyes:

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Romes128 posted:

sliger cases are heavy. probably not the best to carry around.

Huh? I uhh, disagree. My sm weighs hardly anymore than my ncase and that’s with the handle. I’d add an extra pound to a built system for the handle alone, not to mention made in America and the ability to order any part
I needed.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

The GPU I bought is 340mm, which is just bigger than some of the SFF cases I really like. Is that GPU clearance measurement on cases a hard cutoff or is it possible to squeeze a 3-5mm larger card into one?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

dkj posted:

The GPU I bought is 340mm, which is just bigger than some of the SFF cases I really like. Is that GPU clearance measurement on cases a hard cutoff or is it possible to squeeze a 3-5mm larger card into one?

Treat them as a hard cutoff. Trying to fit in a bigger card will require physical modification or some intense panel flexing, which won't always be possible.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Treat them as a hard cutoff. Trying to fit in a bigger card will require physical modification or some intense panel flexing, which won't always be possible.

Thank you

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

dkj posted:

Thank you

You can also look at completed builds (sorted by case) on PC Part Picker and see if others have gone beyond the limits. A few of my SFF cases I’ve built in allowed a bit longer cards with some accommodations (downsizing a case fan) or with simply just putting in the card a different way. Worth a shot to see if someone else tried it first.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

buglord posted:

You can also look at completed builds (sorted by case) on PC Part Picker and see if others have gone beyond the limits. A few of my SFF cases I’ve built in allowed a bit longer cards with some accommodations (downsizing a case fan) or with simply just putting in the card a different way. Worth a shot to see if someone else tried it first.

That’s a great idea, I appreciate it!

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

I’ve been looking at putting a 5800x3d and rx6800 into a Louqe Ghost S1. Does anyone have any experience with this or a similar setup with regard to the CPU/GPU temps?

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004

dkj posted:

I’ve been looking at putting a 5800x3d and rx6800 into a Louqe Ghost S1. Does anyone have any experience with this or a similar setup with regard to the CPU/GPU temps?

The x3d is going to be hot and loud, especially without a top hat. I just had an axp90-x53 full black on a x3d for testing and it wasn't something I would be willing to live with full time. I really wouldn't be buying the ghost unless you're absolutely dead set on it. Also, what gpu did you buy that's 340mm? Hardly any sff case can fit that.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Canna Happy posted:

The x3d is going to be hot and loud, especially without a top hat. I just had an axp90-x53 full black on a x3d for testing and it wasn't something I would be willing to live with full time. I really wouldn't be buying the ghost unless you're absolutely dead set on it. Also, what gpu did you buy that's 340mm? Hardly any sff case can fit that.

That’s a shame. I’m not dead set on it I just liked it more than the A4-H20, which is my next choice.

I returned that GPU because yeah, it didn’t fit in anything smaller than the Jonsplus i100 pro. It was an XFX Swft RX 6800, though. Maybe it would have fit in the Meshroom S but I don’t want to keep buying and returning cases just to try.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Canna Happy posted:

What temperatures where you hitting and did you run a PPT limit or voltage offsets through PBO2 Tuner? People in the AMD thread were talking about running the 5800X3D with a dinky L9a and while noise is very personal preference, it shouldn't be that bad as long as you tweak the fan curves up and maybe sacrifice a bit of MT performance.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
optimum tech made it sound like you could do a 5800X3D just fine, you just have to accept a load temperature in the 70s which is probably fine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTwie1pxuro

also worth taking into account that people talking about the 5800X3D are also lowering their power/temps a fair bit by using the pbo2 tuner, so make sure you're comparing directly

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004

Stock it hit 90c and throttled with all cores loaded. pbo2 with -30 on all cores it would spike to 80c and then would slowly climb. Yeah, I'm sure you can run it on a l9a if you only load one or two cores ever.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
It depends a lot on what you're planning to do, and you have to keep the restrictions in mind. You can't run modern CPUs fully unlocked with these tiny coolers (and using a 92mm AIO won't really change that) but for eg. gaming where you might be GPU bound or have a 2-3 threads maxed out that's alright. If your use case is having the case sit next to you on the desk while you do rendering or other productivity, I would definitely get a bigger case with a proper tower cooler or big radiator. Even with limited TDP and undervolting, the fans will quickly have to spin up to their maximum RPM, which isn't remotely quiet with 92mm fans, and you probably don't want them to do this constantly.

As one of the people who run this 5800X3D+NH-L9a combo, I have 90W PPT set for mine for a start. In the Dan A4 with TDP limits in the 80-90W range all CPUs I used will approach their respective throttling t_max in stress tests and stay there long term while sitting at base clocks, but without actual thermal throttling. That's obviously going to stay under the maximum performance you'd get out of the CPU with "real" coolers in a big case (one of the reasons I'm planning to move it to a bigger case is so I can use eg. a D12L). I have yet to mess with curve optimizer, that might help a bit more.

My fan curve in UEFI is set to run at 30% RPM (nearly silent with that fan) up to reaching 45°C. It ramps up to 70% RPM (which is audible but not bad) until hitting 80°C, when it will max the RPM and become very noticeable, but I still wouldn't call it "loud". It's not an annoying volume level to me, but that's a living room PC sitting next to the TV. My conclusion would be different if I was doing productivity tasks all day with a 92mm fan doing 2500 RPM right next to me.

Temps are "fine" but they could be better. In Windows the PC idles in the 40-50°C range, like all Ryzen it's very happy to rev up for even the tiniest background tasks like search indexer turning on, and then it can temporaily spike to the 50s or low 60s and slowly drop back down. Installs and updates can make it run up to the low 80s for the duration. Stress tests on all cores (like Prime or Cinebench) will eat up the entire PPT and run up to the max. temp as described above. For games it really depends: I usually run with a 60 fps limit at 1080p. Modern games utilizing many cores will reach higher temps (in the 80s), the somewhat older games I play, or 3DMark, will frequently hit the max. boost clock as needed and stay in the 70-80°C range. If the game is GPU bound or runs into the FPS limiter, the fan noise at 70% RPM is alright.

E: My next modification was going to be that new be quiet! Pure Rock LP but with a Noctua fan, but I don't expect much and most of the PC will move into a bigger case at some point this year (Dan C4, if it really comes out :v:), so it's not a priority. I had a LP53 with a Noctua fan on the Core i7 and I wish there was a version of that heatsink for AM4.
E2: Edits since I finally used the machine again and could check some numbers.

orcane fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 7, 2023

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Anyone know a good fan configuration for a C14S? I'm using a SAMA IM01. The stock fan under, but blowing in, isn't giving me great temps and that's with the panels off. I have a slim 120mm fan and tons of other 120mm fans I can toss in I guess.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

VulgarandStupid posted:

Anyone know a good fan configuration for a C14S? I'm using a SAMA IM01. The stock fan under, but blowing in, isn't giving me great temps and that's with the panels off. I have a slim 120mm fan and tons of other 120mm fans I can toss in I guess.

Rear fan as intake then two top fans as exhaust. Maybe also consider a tower cooler oriented towards that rear intake fan.

TwoDeer
Jan 13, 2005

VulgarandStupid posted:

I run two Arctic 140mm as intake on the C14s and 2 x 120mm at the bottom as intake and that’s it. I had tried running additional fans at the top or on the side but this configuration has given me the best temps. I’d also recommend finding some feet extensions or something to raise the case higher to allow for better intake from beneath — though this all assumes a horizontal GPU mount.

FWIW I’ve run the above config with both itx and mATX configs but each using an SFX PSU with both a 5800 and 5900.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

anakha posted:

Rear fan as intake then two top fans as exhaust. Maybe also consider a tower cooler oriented towards that rear intake fan.

Hmm good point. I dunno why I’m loving around with this for an $80 cooler. I somehow figured I’d just throw money at it to get the best cooler possible and maybe be able to use it in a later build, but it’s not even being the best cooler possible at stock.

Just ordered an Se-224xt for 26 bucks, Reddit says it’s good in my case.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

VulgarandStupid posted:

Just ordered an Se-224xt for 26 bucks, Reddit says it’s good in my case.

The 224 and 234 are good budget tower coolers, can't really go wrong with either.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8mlb19w0e0

Dang.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

anakha posted:

The 224 and 234 are good budget tower coolers, can't really go wrong with either.

Installed the 224 today, getting great temps. Tops out at 76C during gaming where the C14S was hitting 100C. I did put two Noctua's on it that I already had, they're pulling from the back.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Stuck a 5800x3d and a 7900 XT into an A4 H20 and the thermals aren’t awful. Benchmark software usually puts the CPU at 75C max.

Is it possible to replicate what PBO2 tuner does in Asus bios? I can’t get the task scheduler to start PBO2 on startup/wake.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
should be available when the bios update with agesa 1.2.0.8 makes it out of beta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

dkj posted:

Stuck a 5800x3d and a 7900 XT into an A4 H20 and the thermals aren’t awful. Benchmark software usually puts the CPU at 75C max.

Is it possible to replicate what PBO2 tuner does in Asus bios? I can’t get the task scheduler to start PBO2 on startup/wake.

What kind of cooler do you have on the 5800X3D?