Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i mean yeah but if we're comparing things to The Fog everything looks bad. the important bit is Dark Star is like a top 1% tier sci-fi movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Avatar 2 is a solid B. way too long, looks great, the main dude is still an awful actor, action sequences are legit amazing, should of cut the littlest kid from the movie, some good character moments in a meandering so-so story

e: Jemane Clement hides what I imagine is a terrible American accent by only speaking 3 words at a time

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I remember that period where hollywood was trying to make Worthington a thing

should've used the gap to replace him with Liev Schreiber

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I don't think movies in general are necessarily too long, but I think back in the 80s they were much better about knowing their role. If it's a horror or action or comedy movie it should run 80-100 minutes. Only Oscar type movies or movies by a director who has earned it should be over 2 hours.

There is no chance we would have had studios putting out marvel movies at nearly 3 hours long back then. They are action movies for children and should never be allowed to be more than 90 minutes.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I remember that period where hollywood was trying to make Worthington a thing

should've used the gap to replace him with Liev Schreiber
You just reminded me somehow of 2007's The Painted Veil. A good? movie. I remember it being very atmospheric and also ponderous and not a great message?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

mastershakeman posted:

Outside of the eugenics thing which I definitely don't remember
possibly because it comes up in the shower scene when they're asking each other why they joined

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

babypolis posted:

why are all the snyder posters so dog brained

We're sick baby, we're sick

Bro Dad posted:

The Irishman was miserable and extremely overrated, yet Silence is the best Scorsese movie nobody's ever seen

It was fine but definitely not his finest. Reception seemed pretty mixed which is fitting imo.

Silence is fantastic yea

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Need a "Lucas' Lackeys" gangtag to properly express myself and my opinion of Star Wars imo

That would be sweet, I'd wear it

BrownPepper posted:

What's everyones favorite joke from 300?

When the Persian soldiers turn into literal strawmen

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

hell

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

You just reminded me somehow of 2007's The Painted Veil. A good? movie. I remember it being very atmospheric and also ponderous and not a great message?

it's very pretty. has some sexpat apologia and the china setting is basically set dressing for the not-terribly interesting drama between norton and watts though

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

like Novak was on heroin?

I was at work, but yeah. Novak was always on heroin. He's clean now though and has been for a while.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

old movie trailers are so loving bad, there are trailers for classic bangers that make them look like b-movie trainwrecks and back in the day a good trailer apparently means give away every single plot point and story beat to the point where they'll show the hero doing the hero quip/big moment where they like throw the villain off a cliff or whatever

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Justin Tyme posted:

old movie trailers are so loving bad, there are trailers for classic bangers that make them look like b-movie trainwrecks and back in the day a good trailer apparently means give away every single plot point and story beat to the point where they'll show the hero doing the hero quip/big moment where they like throw the villain off a cliff or whatever

trailers still happily spoil whole movies, that will never change

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Xaris posted:

I would gladly watch an extra 2 hrs of Dennis villinueve doing slow panning shots of blade runner LA or LV set to drone zone music. br2049 was too short imo

I want to watch the awful bloated 4 hour cuts of both br2049 and dune

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Fuligin posted:

trailers still happily spoil whole movies, that will never change

this was why sixth sense was super duper popular because it was the first movie in history not spoiled by its trailer

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

StashAugustine posted:

same but unironically

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

trailer voiceover guys were way better than breathy white girl covers of x gonna give it to ya

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5XKRWDGs84

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Bro Dad posted:

trailer voiceover guys were way better than breathy white girl covers of x gonna give it to ya

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5XKRWDGs84

Auugggh. Are we gonna see more breathy white girl trailers next year? Has SNL made the parody skit yet?

What movie trailers have done that this year?

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Xaris posted:

same but unironically

What if instead of a story, like, it emulates a youtube walk around video, but it's in the fantasy setting and shot with the same care?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

StashAugustine posted:

Ditto, cant get enough of that poo poo

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

same but Cloud Atlas and Jupiter Ascending

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Substandard posted:

There is no chance we would have had studios putting out marvel movies at nearly 3 hours long back then. They are action movies for children and should never be allowed to be more than 90 minutes.

disagree. release the Holcomb Cut

https://i.imgur.com/TEHEOYU.mp4

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Counterpoint: remember the tweet claiming that Topher Grace got so depressed about blackkklansman not winning Best Picture that he holed up in his house and edited all the hobbit movies down to one single movie? Release the Grace cut :colbert:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I watched Bullet Train on the weekend. Kind of a slow start but once everything came together I loved it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

loquacius posted:

Counterpoint: remember the tweet claiming that Topher Grace got so depressed about blackkklansman not winning Best Picture that he holed up in his house and edited all the hobbit movies down to one single movie? Release the Grace cut :colbert:

I think he was depressed about portraying a racist more than anything else.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Is there any show with a crazier cast than that 70s show?

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
7th heaven? Cuz of the dad.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I like the trend of breathy white girl covers in trailers. It is my greatest sin and the sole reason I will be denied the succor of Heaven.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I think he was depressed about portraying a racist more than anything else.

Yeah I was a little fuzzy on the specifics, I think some headline involving IRL David Duke might have featured somewhere too, but the point is I wanna see that edit

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

7th heaven? Cuz of the dad.

What’d he do

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

McCloud posted:

What’d he do
Couldn't remember the details, so excuse my cheating with Wikipedia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Collins

"inappropriate sexual conduct with three female minors" in 1973, 1982 and 1994.[1][25]

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Couldn't remember the details, so excuse my cheating with Wikipedia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Collins

"inappropriate sexual conduct with three female minors" in 1973, 1982 and 1994.[1][25]

Oof. Didn’t he play a preacher in that show?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Must be a method actor.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
cmdr decker in star trek tmp as well

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
the Wednesday show is fun. big broad from GoT is great

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I haven't watched Wednesday due to not having Netflix but if they really want to lure me back in they should have her do a new Cramps dance on every episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de2Hgc8UML8

uber_stoat has issued a correction as of 04:41 on Dec 20, 2022

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Durf posted:

disagree. release the Holcomb Cut

https://i.imgur.com/TEHEOYU.mp4

Was this the movie where captain america was painting a picture of a cat in a park and someone ran up and drew a mustache on the cat?

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I was looking for something else and ended up stumbling upon the show "Martial Law" with Sammo Hung and Kelly Hu and some other people from the late 90s. It's pretty dumb but I was recently on a Jackie Chan / Sammo Hung kick and I never even knew he was on an american network TV show for 2 whole seasons.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Substandard posted:

I was looking for something else and ended up stumbling upon the show "Martial Law" with Sammo Hung and Kelly Hu and some other people from the late 90s. It's pretty dumb but I was recently on a Jackie Chan / Sammo Hung kick and I never even knew he was on an american network TV show for 2 whole seasons.

iirc it was in the same tv universe as nash bridges

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Tankbuster posted:

gabriel over the white house rules because the mafia does a literal drive by on the white house, the US secures world peace through superior firepower and when the incorruptible union leader is murdered by the disgusting bourgeoisie they sing john brown's body while marching.

this movie owned. it came out at a very interesting time, March 31 1933. FDR had been inaugurated weeks earlier and Hitler was chancellor as of January. Italy had been full fascist for a decade or so.

it predicts a lot of things that would come into being but is probably influenced by the example of Italian fascism (and some of the set designs remind me of those styles). FDR's WPA program mirrors the works program proposed in the movie (and FDR has said he watched it. ) also, I think the movie's depiction of peace being achieved by making a massive impression through American dive bombers destroying unmanned American battleships anticipates the idea of this wonder weapon that will make the enemy give up arms at the sight of such destruction.

btw I could only stream this movie online through a page on vk that I found via yandex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Laterite posted:

iirc it was in the same tv universe as nash bridges

This is probably right because they appear to have the same show creator on IMDb. I don't think I've ever seen nash bridges either.

Also I guess Arsenio Hall is in martial law also, but he isn't in the first couple episodes.