Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
My swordfighting group wants to get a board game as a gift for our teacher, but unfortunately I've been out of the boardgaming circuit for a while and don't really know what's good & popular nowadays. Nor am I very familiar with his tastes, but he seems to enjoy strategy-based titles. Here's what I remember seeing on his shelves:

Eclipse
Legends of Andor
Twilight Struggle
Game of Thrones
Arkham Horror
Unstable Unicors
Snakesss

Our group is typically 6-7 people so a larger playercount would be convenient, though in the latter case the idea of breaking up into 2 smaller groups was on the table. Would anyone happen to have an easy recommendation in mind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Eclipse 2nd edition
7 wonders

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

MikeCrotch posted:

Anyone got recommendations for good recent games for older pre-teen kids? 9-11 sort of age range. Looking for presents for my niece and nephew who I usually get games for, both games players so can handle decently complicated stuff.

SUSD recently reviewed The Initiative, that looked like fun but my kids are too young for word cipher games.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Terry van Feleday posted:

My swordfighting group wants to get a board game as a gift for our teacher, but unfortunately I've been out of the boardgaming circuit for a while and don't really know what's good & popular nowadays. Nor am I very familiar with his tastes, but he seems to enjoy strategy-based titles. Here's what I remember seeing on his shelves:

Eclipse
Legends of Andor
Twilight Struggle
Game of Thrones
Arkham Horror
Unstable Unicors
Snakesss

Our group is typically 6-7 people so a larger playercount would be convenient, though in the latter case the idea of breaking up into 2 smaller groups was on the table. Would anyone happen to have an easy recommendation in mind?

6+ is pretty limiting. How about Deception: Murder in Hong Kong, for mixing it up from strategy games?

To stick with strategy, Twilight Imperium and Scythe are conspicuously absent from your list.

I'll counter Orange's recommendation and say I really don't like 7 Wonders at all (although 7 Wonders Duel is excellent). I'm definitely in the minority there (not sure about itt particularly) but just saying, the widely beloved game isn't necessarily for everyone.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

7 Wonders was amazing a decade ago (7 players playing simultaneously! with less than half the down time between your turns!), and for people who would play Unstable Unicorns today it's probably still amazing. (You can probably think of an analogy to something in the swordfighting world, where depth of experience inevitably causes you to see the downsides in something accessible and exciting to somebody newer.)

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
This is my first year getting into the hobby and it was the first game I bought and tabled. It just sucks (to me)! It's the only buy in my collection that I regret, so I got that going for me. I will never table it again please if anyone wants to take it off my hands let me know (it's Revised edition, played once).

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Gort posted:

Whatever happened to legacy games? Feels like I haven't heard about a new one since Pandemic Zero.

"Legacy" moved from "add stickers and poo poo to your board and play the same game again with stickers", to just a "play through this narrative book/cards/whatever and then you know everything". The narrative games are usually over-$100 so ~the op~ excluded them, but they're still around. Usually big-box stuff:

Etherfields
ISS Vanguard
Tainted Grail
(other Awaken Realms poo poo)
Sleeping Gods
Frosthaven
Vampire the Masquerade Chapters
Artisans of Splendent Vale

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Gort posted:

Whatever happened to legacy games? Feels like I haven't heard about a new one since Pandemic Zero.

Oath is closer to the original legacy idea than the more common narrative stuff like Gloomhaven, etc.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

My swordfighting group wants to get a board game as a gift for our teacher,

Sidereal Confluence? Sits 6 easy (in fact is probably best at 6), up to 9 possible. Negotiation heavy, needs plenty of table space, and it less mechanically complicated than it looks on the surface. We've had a blast every time we've played it.

Edit: wait when the hell did an expansion come out? Completely missed that.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 16, 2022

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Eclipse
Legends of Andor
Twilight Struggle
Game of Thrones
Arkham Horror
Unstable Unicors
Snakesss

those are pretty good, but if you're getting a board game for a sword fighter, you have to get a sword fighting game

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/169/en-garde

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Infinitum posted:

Looked it up
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgius_Agricola#Etymology

Name could be translated to Moon MoonFarmer Farmer

Eagle Gyphon games wanted to gently caress around with "We can only partially refund" when I requested a cancellation, so I did a chargeback.

If you've attempted contact, they haven't responded, are posting updates in weird places you might not see them, then do a chargeback.

They actually got back to me today with a tracking number and apology, so that's nice!

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Infinitum posted:

Looked it up
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgius_Agricola#Etymology

Name could be translated to Moon MoonFarmer Farmer

There is a more famous Agricola

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

My swordfighting group wants to get a board game as a gift for our teacher, but unfortunately I've been out of the boardgaming circuit for a while and don't really know what's good & popular nowadays. Nor am I very familiar with his tastes, but he seems to enjoy strategy-based titles.

For 6-7? The Great Split.

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010
I have an extremely consistent group of 4 that want to play King’s Dilemma all the way through. Problem is we have no good 5th player who could meet semi-regularly. I’ve seen 5p recommended as the best player count, but it’s a little tricky to know how crucial that is without accidentally spoiling anything.

Anyone with KD experience:

How much does it seem like 4v5 matters? Should we try harder to lock in a 5th regular, even if it means the campaign might take much longer to finish? A little worried about it fizzling with too long of gaps between play but it’s possible to just drop the 5th and continue with 4 right?

Would it work at all for various people to fill in for the 5th (using different Houses for each)?

Neondragons
Nov 4, 2009

PopZeus posted:

I have an extremely consistent group of 4 that want to play King’s Dilemma all the way through. Problem is we have no good 5th player who could meet semi-regularly. I’ve seen 5p recommended as the best player count, but it’s a little tricky to know how crucial that is without accidentally spoiling anything.

Anyone with KD experience:

How much does it seem like 4v5 matters? Should we try harder to lock in a 5th regular, even if it means the campaign might take much longer to finish? A little worried about it fizzling with too long of gaps between play but it’s possible to just drop the 5th and continue with 4 right?

Would it work at all for various people to fill in for the 5th (using different Houses for each)?

Our group had a fifth player for the first two games and then we finished it out with four. Both player counts played really well and I liked it enough to back the recent Queen's Dilemma Kickstarter. The fifth player can jump in and out fairly freely and won't miss a ton. Things will obviously change from game to game, but you can pretty easily sum it up for them when they came back. No spoilers, but the only real downside I can see for a player skipping games besides missing cool events that happen and hearing about them secondhand, is that they are extremely unlikely to win the final endgame scenario if they've missed more than one or two games. If they don't care that they will almost certainly come in last at the end then they will likely still like it. And even though they won't win the last round they can still participate and do some cool things, so it wouldn't be boring for them.

*edit* Saw I missed part of your question. I would just play the same 4 houses the whole time and let the fifth player play their house when they can. If you play the fifth player's house when they're not there, you'd either have to not play with your regular house that game and tank your score, or play with something like a dummy player rule where someone controls 2 houses for a game. I don't think either of those would work too well. If you cycle in a new fifth player every game or so, that could work, but they probably won't be as invested in the story or what's going on as everyone else. The game itself is pretty simple mechanically though, so it would be an easy teach.

Also, extremely minor mechanics spoiler that I wish I had known going in.

Both the good prestige points and the evil crave points are valuable. They will both help you win at the end.

Neondragons fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Dec 17, 2022

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Drop in/out works fine with kings dilemma so just do that

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Well, it happened. I played a roll and write I didn't hate.

Dice Kingdoms of Valeria, in the vast series of "games set in the same world with consistent iconography and factions and elements and stuff like that, Valeria".

It was essentially the dice rolling from machi koro (work to get more hits on various numbers that can be rolled) plus some standard "mark this then that is a tick over here then that gives you this and that" r&w fare. Honestly I'm not even sure why it didn't irritate me as much as, say, Welcome To... did.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

silvergoose posted:

Honestly I'm not even sure why it didn't irritate me as much as, say, Welcome To... did.

For me, Clever Hoch Drei > Doppelt So Clever > Ganz Schoen Clever >>>> Roll Through the Ages/Cartographers >> Lost Cities > Welcome To.../Baseball +Football Highlights/On Tour/others not coming to mind.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Are the mission cards in Cartographers Heroes different from the ones in the original? I could use some more variety.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
What's the minimum wage to play Sidereal Confluence, you think? Not necessarily competitive.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

PerniciousKnid posted:

What's the minimum wage to play Sidereal Confluence, you think? Not necessarily competitive.

Aliens don’t use money

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Three yellow cubes an hour

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

PerniciousKnid posted:

3-4 feels a bit meaner because often opportunities come directly at someone else's expense. Once you hit 5+ that is much less of an issue.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

homullus posted:

For me, Clever Hoch Drei > Doppelt So Clever > Ganz Schoen Clever >>>> Roll Through the Ages/Cartographers >> Lost Cities > Welcome To.../Baseball +Football Highlights/On Tour/others not coming to mind.

I only enjoyed Ganz shon as a solo app game. Roll through the Ages is a Yatzee game, there's no shared r and w so I don't think of it as being in the same genre.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Fate Accomplice posted:

Aliens don’t use money

Oops I meant minimum age.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

3-4 feels a bit meaner because often opportunities come directly at someone else's expense. Once you hit 5+ that is much less of an issue.

Agree, to the point that if it's less than 5 I'd probably rather play a different game. 6-7 is the sweet spot to me, though I've never actually played a 9. I don't know if there's a table big enough for a 9 in the tristate area. With a lower player count there are fewer trades to do and goods to circulate so its lot harder to get anything going. Since even in a good game it feels like your engine is only really moving on like the last turn, stuff that slows it down ain't great.

I'm sure there's a 3-4 person group out there somewhere that likes executing every trade with calculated precision and has a lot of fun with it, but part of the joy of Sidereal to me is that there's just so much poo poo going on at the table at a time it's impossible to keep track of.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Azran posted:

Are the mission cards in Cartographers Heroes different from the ones in the original? I could use some more variety.

Yeah. It can be played standalone or combined, and the exploring and raid cards are different to vanilla Cartographers.

I really noticed vanilla became repetitive when I was playing it a lot on the app.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I got my first Legendary Cartographer today :')

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Azran posted:

Yeah, they're all different and you can combine them together in either game. Don't combine the exploration cards though as that can mess up terrain distribution.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009
Anyone in here have/played GWT Argentina yet? Just happened to see it at my FLGS and grabbed it today. Big fan of GWT first edition + Rails to the north but there’s not a ton of reviews out yet.

Consensus seems to be that it’s 70% GWT and the other 30% help change up the decision space so it’s not just Big Cowboy Race.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Info on Ark Nova expansion Aquarius: https://www.dicetowernews.com/article/new-details-ark-nova-aquarius-announced

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

quote:

In addition, water-based animals have a wave icon on them. When one of these tags appears on a card in the display, you discard the first card and replenish. This mechanic is meant to help cycle through the draw deck faster to mitigate the additional cards from the expansion.
They don't know when it's coming out, but they know how it will be mitigated.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Revive is very very good. Possibly my favorite new game this year. Don't sleep on it.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Memnaelar posted:

Revive is very very good. Possibly my favorite new game this year. Don't sleep on it.

Can you talk more about it please? I was weighing that and Rise and Fall, but read some opinions that Revive, while good, is close to multiplayer solitaire.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Bodanarko posted:

Anyone in here have/played GWT Argentina yet? Just happened to see it at my FLGS and grabbed it today. Big fan of GWT first edition + Rails to the north but there’s not a ton of reviews out yet.

Consensus seems to be that it’s 70% GWT and the other 30% help change up the decision space so it’s not just Big Cowboy Race.

I played it at BGGcon. I’m not a big GWT fan, so I didn’t care for it. My friends who are fans liked it, but are not sure someone would need to own both.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Boardlandia is having a year end inventory cleanup sale and have marked down a lot of inventory even below their November Black Friday prices. Lots of cheap Arkham Horror packs and other expansion.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Megasabin posted:

Can you talk more about it please? I was weighing that and Rise and Fall, but read some opinions that Revive, while good, is close to multiplayer solitaire.

I also backed Rise and Fall, which looks similarly fantastic.

I'm a little shocked that people call Revive multiplayer solitaire. I suppose that makes any eurogame with resource scarcity and no direct conflict multiplayer solitaire by that definition. It is absolutely not.

There's certainly player interaction in the various markets (citizens, machines, and slot upgrades) where you might want a useful <blank> before someone else gets it.
There's player interaction in the race for end-game artifacts as they're in limited supply and will give whoever gets them extra multipliers for a form of end-game scoring.
There's player interaction in terms of racing to take outposts first, as players arriving there later will have to pay out additional resources to do so (to the players who arrived there first!)
And there's player interaction with the optional (better) "switch" mechanic that unlocks after you finish game 1 of the campaign, wherein using your once-a-rest switch allows you to mimic another player's played card at the cost of releasing that card from its slot so that that player is able to use the card again after their next rest (rather than having it go into the discard pile) AND opens the slot up for additional use. There's even some novelty there as there are some cards that powerfully function as a slot-chain, meaning you can play another card on top of them and receive the benefits of the underlying card a second time, so there's even a way to turn what would normally be a disadvantage (opening up options for an adversary to gain resources from their card) into an advantage (cutting off a big chain play this round AND gaining resources besides).

I guess if you consider Terra Mystica or Gaia Project "mulitplayer solitaire", this might fall into a similar category. I love both of those games and feel they have a TON of interaction and interesting choices, even if you really can't ever "blow up" an opponent's piece or take something from them once they've placed it. Revive, I think, has a similar level of potential depth.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
that minicampaign looks great, Space Base had an expansion with a similar deal (deck of cards for a campaign, mechanics change each game, once you're done they're all just expansion mechanics you keep using) and it was an absolute blast.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

xiw posted:

that minicampaign looks great, Space Base had an expansion with a similar deal (deck of cards for a campaign, mechanics change each game, once you're done they're all just expansion mechanics you keep using) and it was an absolute blast.

If you're talking the minicampaign in Revive (which is a minicampaign via a deck of cards) and I'm not crossing the streams, I'd say it's decent. It's similar to what a few other games do where they backload extra game modules which could've been a $15 expansion into a "campaign." You get two new factions (each with simple/complex sides to their playboards) and more of everything else in the base game with some added complexity. You absolutely do NOT need to play through the campaign if you don't want to; I'll be teaching the base game with the first bit of content (the new switch rule primarily) folded in and I've already punched out the other bits as I think you could easily use all of the other modules in a second game with your group. It *is* pretty cool, though, that they add some fluff and staging to teaching your group all of the game and you have all of it in after 5 sessions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

silvergoose posted:

Dice Kingdoms of Valeria, in the vast series of "games set in the same world with consistent iconography and factions and elements and stuff like that, Valeria".

It was essentially the dice rolling from machi koro (work to get more hits on various numbers that can be rolled) plus some standard "mark this then that is a tick over here then that gives you this and that" r&w fare. Honestly I'm not even sure why it didn't irritate me as much as, say, Welcome To... did.

Oooh might try that if I see a demo copy.

I've actually been on a roland wright kick lately with less focusing on games and have enjoyed guild of merchant explorers probably mostly due to the meeples and game flow as the game is wildly unbalanced treasure and power cards. But it's mostly an exercise in building your own neat little kingdom so I give it a pass. However...it does consume a lot of space as a roland wright.

Also been playing tiny towns. Despite the terrible name given the size of the box and components, has a good chunky feel and puzzle nature. Playing with the resource deck is much better. Also used an extra copy to upgrade Inis with wooden components. :smoobles: