Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
that appears to be a marble rye so I guess it's from where Jerry steals a marble rye from the old lady? no idea about the arms on the building though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Lol that owns

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I absolutely need to get to Seinfeld Night at Coney Island this year.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
thanks for the podcast/site recommendations!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

bawfuls posted:

Some Baseball Podcasts:

Effectively Wild - Ben Lindberg (The Ringer, formerly Baseball Prospectus) and Meg Rowley (Fangraphs), sort of the "OG" baseball nerd podcast I guess? A good archive episode to start with would be #762 (featuring the Cespedes BBQ boys as guests)
Tipping Pitches - somewhat labor focused podcast famous for their "Unionize The Minors" merch which then actually happened this year
Baseball Bar-B-Cast - current incarnation of Cespedes Family BBQ boys, if you're not familiar it's hard to explain but they are fun and I enjoy their perspective on baseball culture
The Athletic has a bunch of podcasts in one feed, I tend to listen to the one they now call The Roundtable because I like the writers who host it (Andy McCullough, Grand Brisbee, Marc Carig)

Joe Posnanski also talks plenty of baseball on his podcast (The PosCast) with Mickael Schur but a lot of other sports and random bullshit too

Are there any good weekly podcasts for baseball? That's kind of my limit for a podcast.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1604990603527618565

another good talent sent to anaheim to be wasted

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Kirios posted:

Are there any good weekly podcasts for baseball? That's kind of my limit for a podcast.
The Atheltic one I mentioned is just about weekly, sometimes less frequent than that. There's just one baseball podcast feed for the Atheletic which includes a Ken Rosenthall show, Eno Sarris and friends' show, and Jayson Stark's show in addition to the one I mentioned so it looks more frequent but if you ignore those others its barely once a week.

Cespedes BBQ is also 1-2 times a week, Tipping Pitches is just once a week.

So yeah basically all of those except EW are ~once per week.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Intruder posted:

that appears to be a marble rye so I guess it's from where Jerry steals a marble rye from the old lady? no idea about the arms on the building though

he stole the marble rye so he could give it to george, who needed to replace a marble rye that his parents brought to and then took from susans parents. for some reason george couldn't leave the apartment so he tried to bring it up via fishing pole.

seinfeld is good as heck!

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

The current Angels tv pbp guy (Matty V doesn't count) is, no joke, Barry Lyndon's son lol. He wasn't very good at the job though.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I think it's adorable that Dansby Swanson and his wife, Mallory Pugh, are both on professional Chicago sports teams. :3:

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

bawfuls posted:

So yeah basically all of those except EW are ~once per week.

Yeah but the point of EW is that they become the people whose voices you hear more than literally any other person except your spouse because you listen to them talk like 5 hours a week

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Braves sign whatever a Jordan Luplow is.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
speaking of jordans, I can't believe jordan lyles is only 32

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Luplow isn’t a game changer but he’s a pretty good defensive outfielder who hits LHPs well. Could do a lot worse for a short-side platoon outfielder really

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
As for baseball media I find nearly all of it insufferable. Instead of digesting content I sit in stern reflective silence and emerge with utterly sui generis Takes

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
The only good owner imo.

https://twitter.com/jonheyman/status/1605050457155584000?s=46&t=pN0FZW-x_eO4XOPls2Mf6A

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

He's going to gently caress over the New York investor class in his day job, and put that money into the Mets. King poo poo.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Gleeman takes a look at the Twins SS options now that good free agents are off the board:

quote:

Andrus and Iglesias figure to be signable for one-year deals worth no more than $10 million, which the Twins can certainly afford with Correa no longer on the books, but are they actually better options than Farmer, who’s projected to make around $6 million in 2023? Things can change, but Twins sources indicate they don’t view Andrus or Iglesias as significant upgrades over Farmer.

That essentially makes Farmer the presumptive Opening Day shortstop and the bar to clear for any potential addition with a higher price tag, in terms of money or trade capital.
[...]
It might take a trade for the Twins to abandon that plan, which makes Farmer the bar to clear again. Milwaukee is reportedly open to moving Willy Adames, a top-10 shortstop under team control through 2024, but the trade cost for the 27-year-old coming off a 31-homer season would be massive. Amed Rosario is also said to be available, but swinging a big trade with Cleveland is unlikely.

Correa’s arrival in San Francisco could make Brandon Crawford available, but he’s a 36-year-old coming off a poor season and the Giants may be inclined to shift him to third base rather than trade a franchise icon. Ha-Seong Kim will be pushed off shortstop in San Diego by Bogaerts’ arrival, so the slick-fielding 27-year-old could be available for a non-blockbuster package.

Trading for Isiah Kiner-Falefa again, and actually keeping him for more than 24 hours this time, would be an inexpensive option in terms of salary and trade cost after a poor season in New York, but if he clears the Farmer bar it isn’t by much. And the same can probably be said of feasible trade candidates such as Taylor Walls of the Rays or Miguel Rojas of the Marlins.

Javier Báez was one of last offseason’s top free-agent shortstops and the six-year, $140 million deal he signed with the Tigers looks downright reasonable next to this offseason’s shortstop contracts, but he hit .238/.278/.393 in a mess of a first year in Detroit. Taking on salary is doable for the Twins, and the Tigers might pay down some of his contract anyway, but is Báez worth blocking Lewis/Lee?
Remember folks, can't block SS from the guy who was fringe SS before he had knees go boom twice or the guy that is universally seen as a 3B prospect! If the above wasn't dire enough:

quote:

Farmer is never going to make anyone forget Correa and can easily be pushed aside if/when Lewis or Lee is ready to take over, but he’s solid enough that the Twins don’t have to scramble for a shortstop they don’t view as a legit upgrade. Farmer is a capable defender with 15-homer power and his .259/.316/.400 line the past two seasons matched the position’s .255/.315/.400 league average.
:smithicide:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Forrest on Fire posted:

He's going to gently caress over the New York investor class in his day job, and put that money into the Mets. King poo poo.

If we are going to have evil capitalists ruling us this is how they should behave.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

mcmagic posted:

If we are going to have evil capitalists ruling us this is how they should behave.

Why?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Because he's making met fans have a good time.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
So far it feels like 2023 is just gonna be a replay of 2022 with all the good teams still good and the bad teams still bad. Giants might have pulled themselves into fringe contention.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Because it's fun for fans of sports teams.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

GalacticAcid posted:

So far it feels like 2023 is just gonna be a replay of 2022 with all the good teams still good and the bad teams still bad. Giants might have pulled themselves into fringe contention.

Yup - Astros back to back champs confirmed by you.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Fine with me. The Astros are a useful vessel of punishment for the league’s fans who deserve nothing but suffering

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

GalacticAcid posted:

Fine with me. The Astros are a useful vessel of punishment for the league’s fans who deserve nothing but suffering

I agree with this applied to a micro sample of everyone who posts here.

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Dec 20, 2022

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Did Correa hurt himself while boning again?

https://twitter.com/enosarris/status/1605237427416600576?t=7TpetK7CKB6XcZ2GPtLshQ&s=19

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I’ve heard that he’s just sick. But grain of salt it’s not confirmed

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
His elbow was actually shattered by the drink cart on the flight from Minneapolis

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

He coughed and broke another rib

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

baseball teams are profitable and owners should spend that money on players instead of keeping it

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

https://twitter.com/AJCassavell/status/1605254060625403905?s=20&t=cz9zI5NJrtX5ln_rfuAKmw

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Very surprised the Yankees didn't bring back Carpenter, I mean look at this:

I've made jokes about Rizzo but Carpenter is absolutely the definitive short porch king

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Carp is a cool story but he's not reliable and he doesn't have a position.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Carp is a cool story but he's not reliable and he doesn't have a position.

Elite mustache, streaky bat that can get hot for a few games at a time, defensive liability.

Just the piece San Diego was missing

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
So I assume nobody outside of Toronto was paying attention last year when Mark Shapiro stuck his dick into local politics but some more information came out today and, well, it's a fun one.

https://twitter.com/matttomic/status/1605256171249696768?s=20&t=XdvbeGrHOTEir6k4-ZATuw

https://twitter.com/matttomic/status/1605264017941037057?s=20&t=XdvbeGrHOTEir6k4-ZATuw

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

First off, that's a pretty good doodle of Toronto.

Second, I think the hate is more that if that section becomes popular then it might spread to other parts of Toronto which could impact the Jays. Either way Shapiro is a dick.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

That whole saga was nuts. Really underscores how all these rich assholes are focused entirely on their own tiny bubble of convenience and nothing else.

AlbertFlasher posted:

Second, I think the hate is more that if that section becomes popular then it might spread to other parts of Toronto which could impact the Jays. Either way Shapiro is a dick.
How? How many people drive to Jays games? That stadium is extremely well located at the center of both the urban and regional transit networks. They could shut all car traffic down within several miles and still draw 40k+ to a weekend game.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 20, 2022

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

So I assume nobody outside of Toronto was paying attention last year when Mark Shapiro stuck his dick into local politics but some more information came out today and, well, it's a fun one.

Why would anyone ever drive to the Dome barring stuff like mobility issues? And even then, it's probably easier to take the Skywalk from Union than whatever random downtown parking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

pseudodragon posted:

Why would anyone ever drive to the Dome barring stuff like mobility issues? And even then, it's probably easier to take the Skywalk from Union than whatever random downtown parking.
if you are rich and/or scared of being near the poors on a train