Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Keepers of Knowledge, please help me identify this movie so I know it's not just a fevered dream:

The movie came out in the late 80s or early 90s, it's about a female South American dancer that comes to the US and showcases secret dance movies. Along the way she meets an American man and a romance kicks off. I have a hazy memory of her showing off some dance moves while an old lady sings the forbidden latin dance song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

Keepers of Knowledge, please help me identify this movie so I know it's not just a fevered dream:

The movie came out in the late 80s or early 90s, it's about a female South American dancer that comes to the US and showcases secret dance movies. Along the way she meets an American man and a romance kicks off. I have a hazy memory of her showing off some dance moves while an old lady sings the forbidden latin dance song.

Is it Lambada: The Forbidden Dance?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Forbidden_Dance

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Yes! Who knew the movie about a forbidden dance would be named so accurately?

I probably haven't seen the movie in 25 years but the theme song jumped in my head last night. Thanks!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There are far more supernatural elements in that film than you would expect for a movie about a dance competition.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
That movie's about the a dance competition?!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

And saving the rainforest.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The tune of something is sticking in my head and it won't leave. It's from a cartoon, probably some special that aired on the holidays.

The brief scene with the tune was a little girl washing a pet. She's singing a tune and is very hyperactive. It's gibberish in my head but had actual words. The scene goes on for a while with the kid dancing while lots of bubbles are flying.

My memory is that it's not her pet and she's somehow ended up with the confused star of whatever special this was that got lost and ended up in the little girl's house. It's possibly from a Garfield or Snoopy special and I would have been watching this thing from a window of about 1988-92, so a traditional animation style.

If it's not Peanuts or Garfield, it would have been from a mainstream cartoon of that era.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

RC and Moon Pie posted:

The tune of something is sticking in my head and it won't leave. It's from a cartoon, probably some special that aired on the holidays.

The brief scene with the tune was a little girl washing a pet. She's singing a tune and is very hyperactive. It's gibberish in my head but had actual words. The scene goes on for a while with the kid dancing while lots of bubbles are flying.

My memory is that it's not her pet and she's somehow ended up with the confused star of whatever special this was that got lost and ended up in the little girl's house. It's possibly from a Garfield or Snoopy special and I would have been watching this thing from a window of about 1988-92, so a traditional animation style.

If it's not Peanuts or Garfield, it would have been from a mainstream cartoon of that era.

Is it possibly Elmira from Tiny Toons?

filmcynic
Oct 30, 2012

RC and Moon Pie posted:

It's from Snoopy, Come Home! ... Yeah, that song is going to linger for a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYjqDZ2KFGU&t=98s

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

filmcynic posted:

It's from Snoopy, Come Home! ... Yeah, that song is going to linger for a while.

Wow. That's quick. I thought that way too vague, but that's indeed it. I do remember renting Snoopy Come Home at the local VHS place, probably more than once.

I don't know why that song reentered my head after 30 years, but it's here and it's not going away.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

What's that movie where a fast food joint employee discovers that the music that plays at the restaurant can be used to effect the minds of the customers? He plays a tape and a fight breaks out, etc. It's a kind of cyberpunk dystopian vision, dealing with mind control.

I tried searching & looked through a "Mind Control List" on IMDB, but could not find it.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

filmcynic posted:

Holy poo poo! Snoopy got Miseried

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Okay so it's a horror movie, someone has idk unleashed a curse and zombies or zombie like people are multiplying. It mostly takes place in a car as this guy and girl are running from it. Fairly recent. They have to find the ingredients to stop the curse.

That's all I've got folks, any help?

e: actually it probably wasn't the risen dead but demon possessed

at one point they get pulled over by a cop and something something he's evil (lol)

BaldDwarfOnPCP fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 5, 2022

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Okay so it's a horror movie, someone has idk unleashed a curse and zombies or zombie like people are multiplying. It mostly takes place in a car as this guy and girl are running from it. Fairly recent. They have to find the ingredients to stop the curse.

That's all I've got folks, any help?

e: actually it probably wasn't the risen dead but demon possessed

at one point they get pulled over by a cop and something something he's evil (lol)

Phantasm Oblivion?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I want to say this is early 90s, cast in the scene was all black men. Lead was probably someone like Eddie Murphy but I don't think it was. So someone like him or Robert Townsend

scene is some bad dudes have lead guy pinned down and they fire machine guns at him while laughing away and taunting him. After they stop one of the other henchman fires a single pistol shot at him. They repeat, he repeats and the boss guy tells him to cut it out

protagonist returns fire by spraying and praying and taking cover again. When he gets ready to return fire they are all dead

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Alan Smithee posted:

I want to say this is early 90s, cast in the scene was all black men. Lead was probably someone like Eddie Murphy but I don't think it was. So someone like him or Robert Townsend

scene is some bad dudes have lead guy pinned down and they fire machine guns at him while laughing away and taunting him. After they stop one of the other henchman fires a single pistol shot at him. They repeat, he repeats and the boss guy tells him to cut it out

protagonist returns fire by spraying and praying and taking cover again. When he gets ready to return fire they are all dead

Harlem Nights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNXxlYCU0aY

Action Jacktion fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Dec 5, 2022

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

thanky

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I only remember a fraction of this gag: a guy has taken some drugs or is going nuts or something and looks over to his dog on the couch (who is now a cartoon) who drawls "Hey, kill the prezz-dent."

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

i didn't see it but Son of Sam was about the real life killer who supposedly took orders from a dog

I'm assuming this is a drug hijinks movie referencing that though

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Nameless Pete posted:

I only remember a fraction of this gag: a guy has taken some drugs or is going nuts or something and looks over to his dog on the couch (who is now a cartoon) who drawls "Hey, kill the prezz-dent."

I know I've seen this but can't remember it. However there is one similar in MadTV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb8GBSbBES0

But that was just a straight up Son of Sam joke

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

My wife is trying to remember a what she believes to be a Christmas movie (cold/snowy weather, prepping for the holidays) where the beginning was very nice and heartwarming but the main characters (a couple and their children) "got snatched up by Nazis at the end". She says she watched it around 2010 probably on Netflix. It was a black and white film, probably from the late-40s to mid-50s with an actor that she thinks resembles James Stewart or Gene Kelly. In English, set in Europe/UK. Not a musical, maybe one song at the end.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Machai posted:

My wife is trying to remember a what she believes to be a Christmas movie (cold/snowy weather, prepping for the holidays) where the beginning was very nice and heartwarming but the main characters (a couple and their children) "got snatched up by Nazis at the end". She says she watched it around 2010 probably on Netflix. It was a black and white film, probably from the late-40s to mid-50s with an actor that she thinks resembles James Stewart or Gene Kelly. In English, set in Europe/UK. Not a musical, maybe one song at the end.

The 1959 version of The Diary of Anne Frank?

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

Machai posted:

Could be The Mortal Storm

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

I have only seen the first few minutes but maybe thats enough. It starts with like a narration about a guy who made some fast moving vehicle for world war 1 or 2 that ultimately wasn't used. after that it cuts to the guy who invented it arriving at a house with a car full of dogs. I thought maybe it was about Howard Hughes but maybe not.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Bootleg Trunks posted:

I have only seen the first few minutes but maybe thats enough. It starts with like a narration about a guy who made some fast moving vehicle for world war 1 or 2 that ultimately wasn't used. after that it cuts to the guy who invented it arriving at a house with a car full of dogs. I thought maybe it was about Howard Hughes but maybe not.

Tucker: The Man And His Dream?

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Edit: drat thought it was the Aviator

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I have no clue what this movie is about or anything other than people are breaking into a house and ones climbing through a window and theres a guy lying under the window and he shoots the guy in the head as hes coming through.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

banned from Starbucks posted:

I have no clue what this movie is about or anything other than people are breaking into a house and ones climbing through a window and theres a guy lying under the window and he shoots the guy in the head as hes coming through.

The Raid?

Edit: might be Justified if it's a tv show

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

LesterGroans posted:

Edit: might be Justified if it's a tv show
Yeah that exact thing happens in a cabin in the season one finale of Justified. Guy puts a rifle down, climbs over a woodpile to get to the window then takes two to the face.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Oh drat it was Justified! Great series. Thanks LesterGroans & Pilchenstein

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Torquemada posted:

Tucker: The Man And His Dream?

thank you!

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

:tipshat:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

What’s the movie that isn’t Shallow Grave that starts with a shot from the POV of a voyeur looking through a first floor dorm window. The camera then tracks right to another window, and then right again to another window. In all of the rooms there are college girls having casual scantily clad fun.

I know Shallow Grave starts with that but there’s another movie that starts the exact same loving way and it’s driving me crazy.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Blow Out definitely does this.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

morestuff posted:

Blow Out definitely does this.

Oh poo poo that’s it, thanks.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Gripweed posted:

What’s the movie that isn’t Shallow Grave that starts with a shot from the POV of a voyeur looking through a first floor dorm window. The camera then tracks right to another window, and then right again to another window. In all of the rooms there are college girls having casual scantily clad fun.

I know Shallow Grave starts with that but there’s another movie that starts the exact same loving way and it’s driving me crazy.

About half of the horror movies with the words “sorority” or “slumber party” in the title have this shot and “male gaze murder” was a biiiiig chunk of lovely horror movies for every year in which VHS was a common technology.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Anybody know which movie the below still is from? From a promo for an upcoming Giallo rep series. Movies they're showing:

ALL THE COLORS OF THE DARK
NO ONE HEARD THE SCREAM
SO SWEET... SO PERVERSE
TIGHTROPE
A LIZARD IN A WOMAN'S SKIN

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

morestuff posted:

Anybody know which movie the below still is from? From a promo for an upcoming Giallo rep series. Movies they're showing:

ALL THE COLORS OF THE DARK
NO ONE HEARD THE SCREAM
SO SWEET... SO PERVERSE
TIGHTROPE
A LIZARD IN A WOMAN'S SKIN

Could it be A Lizard in a Woman’s Skin (1971)?

Is that the joke?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Xiahou Dun posted:

Could it be A Lizard in a Woman’s Skin (1971)?

Is that the joke?

Was my first guess but could just as easily be All The Colors of the Dark!

Looks like it is Lizard though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PT0UqpxwWc

morestuff fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

morestuff posted:

Was my first guess but could just as easily be All The Colors of the Dark!

Looks like it is Lizard though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PT0UqpxwWc

It doesn’t help that gialli, while being beautiful, also have some pretty repetitive imagery.

“O a close up of a woman’s face? Hmmm. Well combined with that shot of a leather gloved hand holding a knife and everyone smoking…. I think this might be an Italian film made somewhere between 1965 and last week…”