Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Hello and welcome to the Reapers.

Okay, fair point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Wahooey!

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Pls rename Harrier Games Megathread

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE

No doxx

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

The real job is how he could afford the flight sim gear, though.

At least, in my case it is 😁

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
No yellow arrow sticker. Must be a knockoff.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

PenisMonkey posted:

That took way too much googling to work out what you're on about. It's a Winwing, not a Thrustmaster :smug:

which was on sale for the same price as the Thrustmaster

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

PenisMonkey posted:

Grow up!!!

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

:confused:

Is this a bit you two do?

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

How many grams of pet food per meal?

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.

Hyperlynx posted:

:confused:

Is this a bit you two do?

Yes

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Corky Romanovsky posted:

How many grams of pet food per meal?

100g wet food for dinner. ¼ cup dry food for breakfast. I put the bag on the counter to remind me to refill it from the bulk sack of food in my basement, that I bought because I didn't think properly about how much 7kg is (just about 12 f-16 flight sticks, as it turns out).

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
How does the Standby Attitude Indicator work in the KA-50? I'm out here having a nice normal flight and I look over and that fucker is rolled 90 degrees right pointing at the sky.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Bedurndurn posted:

How does the Standby Attitude Indicator work in the KA-50? I'm out here having a nice normal flight and I look over and that fucker is rolled 90 degrees right pointing at the sky.

Ssssh, it's sleeping.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Bedurndurn posted:

How does the Standby Attitude Indicator work in the KA-50?

Not.

That is the simple answer.

It's only a backup in the sense that, if you regular indicator breaks and you still haven't exploded, you can turn on (or really just uncage) the standby one and possibly have it work long enough for you to find a safer spot to explode in.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Is anyone else playing using a Valve Index? Do you also get like 2-10fps while on the ground, but only in multiplayer? :(

Upgrading to 32GB RAM helped, and reducing load radius to the minimum helped, but it's still happening. That took it from <1 fps to 2-10.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Tippis posted:

Not.

That is the simple answer.

It's only a backup in the sense that, if you regular indicator breaks and you still haven't exploded, you can turn on (or really just uncage) the standby one and possibly have it work long enough for you to find a safer spot to explode in.

Shouldn't you uncage and align it at the start of the flight so it, you know, works

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

Shouldn't you uncage and align it at the start of the flight so it, you know, works

That's what breaks it the most in my experience. :D

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

Hyperlynx posted:

Is anyone else playing using a Valve Index? Do you also get like 2-10fps while on the ground, but only in multiplayer? :(

Upgrading to 32GB RAM helped, and reducing load radius to the minimum helped, but it's still happening. That took it from <1 fps to 2-10.

Reports from hoggit seem to indicate they've screwed the pooch with their internal LOD system somewhere. You can manually edit the value in the LUA but I have no idea if it will trigger the validation.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

RangerKarl posted:

Reports from hoggit seem to indicate they've screwed the pooch with their internal LOD system somewhere. You can manually edit the value in the LUA but I have no idea if it will trigger the validation.

Hm. I do know you can edit the F-16's countermeasures programs lua file without problems, maybe this is one of those?...

Do you have a link?

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
https://www.reddit.com/r/hoggit/comments/zr3sc0

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Nice! Thanks, I appreciate it.

I wonder if it's the same problem I'm getting. I'm sure I only get it in multiplayer, and that it was still happening in stable branch too... But I'll give it a shot!

Meanwhile, I hope they fix their new AI soon. Me and a friend were playing the other night and out of six engagements we only got one kill... ...because the other five times they defended right into the ground.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

Hyperlynx posted:

Nice! Thanks, I appreciate it.

Meanwhile, I hope they fix their new AI soon. Me and a friend were playing the other night and out of six engagements we only got one kill... ...because the other five times they defended right into the ground.

If nothing else you can just try the fix and see if it works. It sounds like there's a bigger issue underneath it all.

Also those were definitely your kills, maneuver kills are legit tactics.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Hyperlynx posted:

Look at the bright side: at least this is an improvement over the earlier AI which would defend right into the stratosphere in endless loops that cost them no energy or speed to execute.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Tippis posted:

Look at the bright side: at least this is an improvement over the earlier AI which would defend right into the stratosphere in endless loops that cost them no energy or speed to execute.

I knew I was kinda with DCS as anything other than a switch simulator when trying to dogfight a Mig 21 resulted in the 21 just flying in repeated vertical loops probably exceeding the capabilities of the airframe. And then the ground target only accept direct hits, no splash damage, so trying to do it felt pointless too.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

RangerKarl posted:

If nothing else you can just try the fix and see if it works. It sounds like there's a bigger issue underneath it all.

Yeah, for sure.

quote:

Also those were definitely your kills, maneuver kills are legit tactics.

Appreciated. Though the problem there is playing on a game mode where kills earn your team points that can be spent on stuff, and it does not recognise such a kill.

Tippis posted:

Also true. In our case these were AIM-120 kills, but yeah those dogfights used to be total bullshit.

edit: ok, so, experiment results:

1: you can just edit the graphics.lua directly, lodMult isn't overwritten by the game even if you fiddle in the graphics menu, regardless of what graphics_readme.txt says.
2: the server I joined didn't care that I'd edited this value
3: it didn't do poo poo to fix my problem :(

which makes sense, since it's only an issue in multiplayer on a server with lots of people. It's not an issue offline, or when it's just my buddy hosting and I join his game with another buddy (we haven't actually tried that yet in 2.8, but it was never an issue in 2.7 and I did still get my problems on 2.7 servers with lots of people)

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Dec 22, 2022

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

At any rate, is anyone else playing in VR and has/is experiencing similar issues? Were you able to resolve it?

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat

Hyperlynx posted:

At any rate, is anyone else playing in VR and has/is experiencing similar issues? Were you able to resolve it?

Low frame rates on the ground in vr? I know some of the airgoons have had that problem; I’ve put it up on the discord, and pinged you there (assuming same name).

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

For those who haven't been paying attention, there's an new old new old contender out…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=658ax0y8KHs

It has only been a day, but it seems like quite an improvement on both the single-player, client, and hosting side, and the VR actually works. It remains to be seen if it catches on enough to get a full MP campaign going, but anyone who misses the clickymania of old can get it here: https://www.falcon-bms.com/downloads/

As before, possession of Falcon 4.0 needs to be proven, but that's easy to fix via places such as GOG or even Steam.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Is control setup still like pulling teeth?

FR though the fact that VR is possible is insane.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Carth Dookie posted:

Is control setup still like pulling teeth?

FR though the fact that VR is possible is insane.

It doesn't hurt quite as much, but there's a lot to set up. With .37, the alternative launcher is no longer alternative and comes installed by default — unless you actively dig into the install file structure to get to the raw game executable, the launcher is what you'll use to start the game and it has a vastly more user-friendly (yet very capable) way to set your binds.

With the manual in hand… or, well… one of the many manuals, you can get a good grasp of what's logical to bind where, and it even comes with a set of very sensible default setups for the more common sticks and throttles.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I like playing DCS fine in multiplayer but seems like BMS lets you do some pretty cool things with singleplayer campaigns so I'll probably grab it with it getting VR. DCS is just super frustrating because it doesn't reach its potential for pretty much anything except for how cool cockpits look and feel.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Hyperlynx posted:

Just saw a post on hoggit about flat shadows being a massive drag. Like medium and high giving better frames.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Mr E posted:

I like playing DCS fine in multiplayer but seems like BMS lets you do some pretty cool things with singleplayer campaigns so I'll probably grab it with it getting VR. DCS is just super frustrating because it doesn't reach its potential for pretty much anything except for how cool cockpits look and feel.

You might already know, but this Enigma video agrees and presents it well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvmhJth4_3A&t=70s

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Okay Falcon 4.0 is less than $5 CAD on Steam. I was wondering if it's possible I still have the CD somewhere. I know I lost the flight manual binder years ago. But my main gaming rig doesn't have an optical drive anyway. (I still have an older PC I use for dealing with media, mostly transferring my old family movies but also ripping the odd CD.)

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Well, that framerate stuff didn't end up working. And I actually did get some bad drops with mid-air just playing with my friend on a mission he made, with him hosting, though not as catastrophic as while on the ground...

I guess I'm just going to have to find some good profiling tools so that I can track RAM, GPU and CPU usage :/

teethgrinder posted:

Okay Falcon 4.0 is less than $5 CAD on Steam. I was wondering if it's possible I still have the CD somewhere. I know I lost the flight manual binder years ago. But my main gaming rig doesn't have an optical drive anyway. (I still have an older PC I use for dealing with media, mostly transferring my old family movies but also ripping the odd CD.)

Ha, I had exactly the same issue of having a Falcon 4 disk buried somewhere and a questionably functional optical drive, and went and asked on the FalconBMS discord whether I could use the CD key from the the case or something. I didn't realise how cheap it was on Steam, though, so I ended up just buying it again there.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

You might already know, but this Enigma video agrees and presents it well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvmhJth4_3A&t=70s

This is spot on. I just cannot play DCS for more than a couple days every few months cause once I re-familiarize myself with an aircraft/chopper I feel like I've run out of things to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Mr E posted:

Come play on our 24/7 BMS server

E: deets are in the discord

concise fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jan 4, 2023