Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

FreshFeesh posted:

awesome on the players for hitting the gas as hard as possible

I’m so jealous of this!

When I started my current campaign I wove a rich tapestry of plot lines and leads to follow and scattered them around for the PCs to find.

But it turns out that my players are all tired old people and can’t be bothered to remember nuanced plot elements from one session to the next and I have to spend the first hour of each session with, “okay, remember last session? You did thisThisThis and talked to these people?”

I have had to dumb down my setting substantially and I’m basically dragging them through things until they go, “oh yeah! I remember that!”

Meh. I feel like I’m running a game for fifth graders: how big is my plus and who do I kill next?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Agrikk posted:

I’m so jealous of this!

When I started my current campaign I wove a rich tapestry of plot lines and leads to follow and scattered them around for the PCs to find.

But it turns out that my players are all tired old people and can’t be bothered to remember nuanced plot elements from one session to the next and I have to spend the first hour of each session with, “okay, remember last session? You did thisThisThis and talked to these people?”

I have had to dumb down my setting substantially and I’m basically dragging them through things until they go, “oh yeah! I remember that!”

Meh. I feel like I’m running a game for fifth graders: how big is my plus and who do I kill next?

I hear this. This is why my group had to switch from a weeknight to Saturday nights. Everyone is a 30 or 40-something person with kids and/or a morning job, and everyone was too brain-tired on a weeknight to play pretend for three hours. Even on Saturdays, there are some days where the GM will dumb things down a bit or run a bottle episode that doesn't burn the brain quite so hard.

Being old is pretty much poo poo.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!

JustJeff88 posted:

I see your point, but doesn't one need to be a pretty damned high level before really getting into the setting? Planescape is really heavy on demons, celestials, devils, deities, quasi-immortals and all sorts of things that would make a level 20 piss himself.

There's a lot you can do with lower level stuff. The Outlands is mostly similar to your standard fantasy world so it's not a bad place to explore a bit as low level characters. Especially as there are bits of the weird and wonderful there; for example last session we visited Tir Na Nog to make a delivery and even though we only went in, dropped off our package and picked up our return package then immediately left the time distortion still cost us the whole day for being in there about 30 minutes in total. Plus we got to be kind of wary of all the glamour around it as well.

We have actually been doing a bunch of delivery quests, which while would not be good for a whole campaign were suited for the start of one. We are specifically all Prime characters, so for all of us the planes and Sigil are weird and largely unknown. So doing deliveries helped us learn about Sigil and the Outlands a bit while making enough coin to cover our rooms and meals. In addition we had a few odd things as well, one minor plot has been investigating an advocate in the Sigil legal system who has been getting their nose into stuff they shouldn't be so we got asked to investigate who was hiring them and why.

Finally we have a big sort of campaign focus mystery which has been to do with how we got into Sigil. Our group was effectively tricked into smuggling a Greater Power Key into Sigil and doing so has caused us to burn out any portal to the Prime Material we try to use. This was partly to prevent our characters from returning home immediately back to the world we know and are comfortable with, but also has drawn the attention of what is effectively the Portal Key mafia in Sigil who have indicated they may have use of our "unique talents" at some point in the future.

Even just in Sigil, Sigil is a huge city with a lot of people and stuff in it. Plenty of groups play low level campaigns starting in Waterdeep even though Khelbrun Blackstaff would have no business giving your party the time of day until you're more powerful. We also make our own fun and scenes. The druid was very pleased to meet someone who owned a small conservatory in Sigil, being relieved to finally see some "plant babies" after the desolate urban landscapes of the city.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

HiKaizer posted:

We have actually been doing a bunch of delivery quests, which while would not be good for a whole campaign were suited for the start of one. We are specifically all Prime characters, so for all of us the planes and Sigil are weird and largely unknown. So doing deliveries helped us learn about Sigil and the Outlands a bit while making enough coin to cover our rooms and meals. In addition we had a few odd things as well, one minor plot has been investigating an advocate in the Sigil legal system who has been getting their nose into stuff they shouldn't be so we got asked to investigate who was hiring them and why.

Finally we have a big sort of campaign focus mystery which has been to do with how we got into Sigil. Our group was effectively tricked into smuggling a Greater Power Key into Sigil and doing so has caused us to burn out any portal to the Prime Material we try to use. This was partly to prevent our characters from returning home immediately back to the world we know and are comfortable with, but also has drawn the attention of what is effectively the Portal Key mafia in Sigil who have indicated they may have use of our "unique talents" at some point in the future.

In the Sigil justice system, the people are represented by two separate, yet equally important groups: the murderhobos, who commit crimes; and the planar attorneys, who are about to get turbomurdered by the former. These are their stories.
*doink doink*

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Given how many powerful beings live in Sigil, any murderhobos that survive long enough to be notable are definitely going to be episode-worthy.

But from what was described the advocates are more boring lawyers than that. My danger noodle familiar was a very good boy though and got a big treat after rummaging around the guy's office.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Golden Bee posted:

Fear the Fashion Spetnaz!
NOVA ROMA AINT GOING AWAY!
All roads lead there. None led out.
Jonesey the scammer mechanic, and Mary Willard, extremely competent secretary and aspiring journalist, joined the group in Benghazi Libya. they were investigating Zenova Tlaib’s smuggling ring, trying to restore it to glory, when they noticed the pieces appeared fake. Ancient Roman artifacts that seemed completely pristine?

With a little digging, they found a cave complex, and inside… Nova Roma!
Thousands of years ago, separated from their detachment by a fierce windstorm, a group of centurions stumbled into a cave complex miles from civilization. Unable to return because of the fierce sands, they started their own Roman city.

And it had been undiscovered… Except by Sir Aldis Riley (order of Canada), his assistant Maude Brown*… and Tlaib.

The gang snuck in, hoping to rescue their friend Maude... only to find her potentially wed to the emperor’s son! All the outsiders stirred up a revolt by the “exploration” faction of the populace… one that was put down by Maude’s amazing recriminations, using all her acting power to convince the crowd that if they disobeyed, they would be turned into spiders!

The players rescued Riley and Tlaib, but were caught on the surface by a circling Italian plane! Jonesey drove the escape car like a maniac… and with the help of Javid and Mary, reached Benghazi, faked out the pilots, and made it to the airstrip, flying his plane The Vivian Leigh to safety.

*Maude’s player showed up late and is going to have a Sunday commitment for the next ten months, so this was a good way to write her out.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Apr 30, 2024

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I played in a D&D one-shot this weekend and one character reeked of “OC do not steel”. They were introduced as a Druid who…

- was the former ruler of Avernus (1st circle of Hell)
- when he was defeated, the heroes thought he was so cool they brought him back to life to adventure with them
- the gods took away his demonic powers but he still has silver skin and flaming hair (think Hades in Disney’s Hercules)
- has a bad relationship with animals because they can sense his “demonic nature” but gets along with plants just fine
- their favored Wild Shape form is of a jet-black wolf with fire-red eyes that leaves burning paw prints in its wake (so, a Hell Hound?)
- announces their presence and (former) title to every room they enter

And all of that for a level 5 combat one-shot.

I did laugh heartily though when the player brought their Druid to go mano e mano against the big baddie, and then got instantly dropped due to two multi attack crits. They got stabilized but spent the entire fight unconscious in the corner while the player sulked about how unfair the dice were being.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
According to my DM, the spell Command Skeleton may not be cast on the living.

X X X X X

This past Sunday our Tanicus group, who are playing revolutionaries trying to overthrow the half-demonic High King of the Korvan Empire, were hired by the High King himself because his vizier (who is overseeing the revolution) was told to hire people who looked like us for a false flag operation. So the vizier hired us.

The city of Vors was falling under the sway of a cult proclaiming salvation through the admittance of all one's sins. The High King wanted us to kill the mayor, in public, to show what happens when his underlings fail to maintain order. Vors is interesting for four reasons.

1 - It's home to Korvis' supermax prison for non-political prisoners.
2 - During the Third Incursion of Kaos, when the fallen archangel Az was leading an assault against the gods, a knight sacrificed himself to slay the celestial general, Belaton, assaulting the town while the head of the Cabal (Tanicus' Wizards union) dropped a pillar of salt on the demonic second-in-command Both are immortalized in statues that draw tourists from across the Empire.
3 - Kors is home to the main temple of Nacral, demigod of lies and treachery.
4 - There's a Cabal observatory dedicated to reading the stars to determine the right time for ritual magic.

We're like "OK, we're going into a town where a cult is probably worshipping an angel and trying to bring him back to life, but it's the home of the demigod of lies, so that can't be the truth."
Turns out, it WAS the absolute truth. What happened during the Incursion was that Belaton had a change of heart when he saw just how hard mortals were fighting to save their world. It was at that time that his second-in-command, who was a human Sorcerer of a demonic lineage, began summoning a purple worm to utterly destroy the town. Belaton's last act was to beg his god for forgiveness before allowing the knight to slay him and using the energy to petrify both the worm AND the demon. So the statue of the worm and the eleven-foot "wizard" on top are actually the massive tentacle of a purple worm from the depths of the Abyss and the guy trying to summon it, and are both under a continual Flesh to Stone spell until the angel regains his divinity and can turn them into an actual statue.

Yeah, the angel, Belaton, is still alive, and the cult IS legit cleansing people of their sins and either letting them join the cult (under a mask and robe) or sending them out of the Empire to start a new life, with the assistance of the mayor and the warden of the prison. The observatory is keeping an eye on the next time all three moons are in the constellation of the angel's former god, so he can regain his divinity and hopefully his god's forgiveness, all with the assistance of Nacral, whose High Deceiver told my Warlock, "Sometimes the best lie in the world is telling the absolute truth." And once we kill the mayor in front of the town (whose body will be taken to the prison for cremation, only for Belaton to raise him), the cult will be at the rebellion's disposal.

Nyreal, our Cleric - "Wait. For the first time in the history of Dungeons & Dragons, a cult is actually doing the RIGHT thing?"

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
In my Planescape game we upgrade to harder rank deliveries, and our first new one was to deliver a package to a community of ratmen living in the catacombs of Sigil. The only wrinkle was they were at war with a group of wererats. We'd never seen a ratman or wererat before so we weren't sure how to tell them apart.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

My party just magoo'd our way into assassinating one of the most powerful people on the planet.

Setting/System
Heart, reskinned for a homebrew post-apocalyptic setting. The player characters are generally people who once lived in a society comparable to IRL, except all of those modern conveniences were powered by magic. As magic ran out we found ourselves, for varying reasons, put on cryosleep with the hopes of avoiding the consequent economic shortages.

We woke up hundreds of years later to a world that had been shattered by war, and learned that the magic shortage was caused by one percenters who had been draining the world's magic to achieve eternal (ish) life. Now called Archmages, each rules over and continues to drain their particular fiefdoms.

Characters

:beerpal: Ralph: It's me! Character was sent into cryo for drunken tomfoolery, and continued his alcoholic ways. However, since adopting a human skeleton inhabited by the soul of the goodest puppy dog, he's been learning about necromancy.
:bird: Sean: A sysadmin prior to going to cryo, he quaffed a highly addictive mutagenic substance in order to survive a widespread disaster that we caused by trying to sing too many shanties to an insane water spirit early in the campaign. Spending much of the campaign as a bird-spider-man substance abuser, he has since renounced the substance (on account of learning that it's made of dead people) and had his mutant bits replaced with golem parts to ease the withdrawals.
:ghost: Theodore: A park ranger before cryo, he has a symbiotic possession with a spirit which endows him with sick lightning powers. Good in a scrap, too, as he carries a sword and wears plate armor that glows when in danger.
:megaman: Sammi: The only member of the party that is a native of the post cryo world, she is a cyborg that glitched her way into having free will. Since software in this setting is the souls of dead people, Sammi just happens to be the primary communications and control software for the body, which hosts hundreds of other personalities that act as software drivers for various features. Cannon, for example, is in charge of the gun, and is good fun at parties.

The situation
We were scouting Archmage Malik's stronghold in order to report back the state of his defenses to a waiting army of golems and necromancers who had joined with us to help rid the world of these Archmages. Malik's domain is a swamp, which he had been populating with horrible crossbred/grafted creatures, styling himself as some sort of god-king. After sneaking around for a bit we discovered that most of the swamp was effectively resource gathering operations, and that anything important would be found within the bounds of his palace grounds. The trouble was, the perimeter of this palace was surrounded by maneating trees.

After realizing that Malik's priests were capable of traversing these woods thanks to warding tattoos, we kill one, use his body to ward off the trees, and cross the barrier. At this point we realized two things: we hadn't considered what we planned to do once inside, and did not plan our egress. Fortunately, as we entered the grounds, Malik was actually leaving on business, and we watched his throne room mounted atop a giant tortoise walk away, leaving us to explore the grounds with far fewer guards and servants to observe us. We choose to infiltrate the palace, which looks like a giant Mayan pyramid.

The palace exploration was implemented as a random map, with us drawing tiles as we entered each room to see what was within. We thoroughly explore the palace, gathering information, plans of attack, and committing small acts of sabotage to his various experimentation rooms. As we finish exploring, Sammi decides she really wants to use some wall-phasing cloaks we found earlier to check out the one walled-off cell on the map to see what was in there.

The Lockdown

Upon entering the space, we realized that there were dozens of cyborgs stuffed into this space, and they immediately activated, aimed their cannons at us, and demanded the password. We phase right the hell out of there again, and most of us start running as the cyborgs blast their way out to give chase and the entire palace goes into lockdown. Theodore, on the other hand, hid just long enough for the cyborgs to empty the room, loots a staff, and then pushes the big red button in the room.

Myself, Sammi and Sean manage to get clear by the skin of our teeth after Sammi was partially frozen and gets battered quite badly by a few priests who managed to intercept us, and we make our way over to a shed where we had previously hidden. As we look back, we witness the result of Theodore's button: the button was to activate a panic room and release chemical weapons in the area to purge it of life. By this point Theodore is locked behind a panic room shield with a staff surrounded by pissed off cyborgs, the rest of us are hiding in a shack, Sammi is badly hurt and has started saying poo poo about how she's feeling a mental connection with a mold monster we previously killed again (we later learned during our flight a few spores that weren't completely cleaned from Sammi's machinery shook loose as a result of the damage she had taken), about to be overtaken by a foreboding red death cloud and Malik teleporting a bunch of military crossbreeds into the area, one of which dismembers a priest just outside of our shack.

The priest dismemberment frightens Sean into flight, and Sammi follows him. I take a moment to sneak towards the creature and grab a bit of the priest with the necessary tats to traverse the hungry woods again. After catching up to Sean and Sammi, I'm knocked cold with a ballista bolt that by all rights should have dismembered me, but Sean was able to partially deflect it with his golem-arm. The three of us narrowly escape into the swamp.

I Guess We're Not Waiting For the Army Anymore

Theodore, trapped, decides to use the panic room staff to see what happens, and is teleported initially to Malik's mancave, which has comic books and a massage chair. Malik finds him just in time to witness Theodore burn his comics, piss on his chair, and teleport again. Unfortunately the second teleportation took him straight to Malik's throne room. With Malik in it.

Against all odds, Theodore manage to resists Malik's initial attacks and realizes that Malik is trying to avoid damaging the command and control console in the room. Theodore decides to do lightning poo poo, which Malik starts absorbing in order to save his delicate equipment from static. As Malik is busy containing the lighting, Theodore stabs him, causing Malik to teleport away (for now). Theodore commandeers the tortoise, and starts searching for us in the swamp. Malik's control over his creations breaks and most start doing normal animal things. However, Theodore is noticing that a bunch of dots arranged in battle lines on the big map terminal are starting to blink out of existence in a location where our army is definitely not.

On the ground, Sammi, Sean, and myself are playing cat and mouse with the units that are hunting us for a few hours as we make our escape, and eventually realize that there are fairies attacking the swamp as well. I should note that fairies are not friendly: they're drug junkies, and lay their eggs inside of you for their young to eat you from the inside out. Nobody in the party is real happy about fairies turning up after the party had to deal with Ralph's fairy egg affliction a few sessions prior. Fortunately, we reunite with Theodore's tortoise soon after this discovery, and Malik also shows up, fully shielded and ready for battle, intent on snatching his throne back from Theodore. Ralph hid while Sammi and Sean opened fire on the Archmage in order to draw his attention away from Theodore.

Malik responds by casting a giant-fuckoff magic laser beam at Sean, which really should have killed him, but not only was Sean exceptionally lucky, he also had an ace in his pocket: the ability to reflect magic back for equal damage. So, Malik ate his own laser. Then Sammi's. Then the crew of the Throne Tortoise (which Theodore had won over just an hour ago by feeding them a decent meal) started shooting at Malik. And then the fairies ate him, basically killing that body.

Impressive though the body-death of the archmage was, we realize he's not completely dead, because his magic reserve didn't pop back into the world, and also Sammi was temporarily blinked into the ethereal plane by Malik's laser blast and spotted his spirit being pulled in a general direction. Theodore, with the help of his spirit, planeshifts to fight Malik's soul, while the rest of us hop into the throne room, grab and identify that staff, and teleport ourselves to another Malik sanctum, which just happened to be the clone room for his spare bodies.

With all other options exhausted, Malik's soul helplessly alternates between getting spawn-killed in the physical plane by one of us, and having his soul sliced to bits in the ethereal plane by Theodore until we finally get the magic release that signals his true death. With a giant cyborg gorilla baring down on us within the clone room, we use the last charge in the staff to escape and everyone lands back into the throne room, each of us wondering just how the hell we managed to not only survive the ordeal, but also kill Malik.

It's going to be fun reporting back to that army and informing them that we already accomplished the objective they set out to do.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
According to my DM, my Warforged Bard may not be a Soundcloud rapper called "Forteefoot R8DYS."

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

CobiWann posted:

According to my DM, my Warforged Bard may not be a Soundcloud rapper called "Forteefoot R8DYS."

Is a soundcloud in Tanicus a literal cloud, like some kind of air mephit familiar that beatboxes?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Is a soundcloud in Tanicus a literal cloud, like some kind of air mephit familiar that beatboxes?

It's a literal cloud like cloudkill, stinking cloud and cloud of pestilence.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

It's a Genie (Djinn) Warlock with poorly inked facial tattoos, but its lack of musical talent is why Genie Warlocks are the one subclass that's banned on Tanicus.

"I'll figure out a way to bring in Warforged and Half-Orcs before I allow Genie Warlocks. I'll switch to One D&D before I allow Genie Warlocks. I'd allow Lorraine Williams to sit at my gaming table before I allow Genie Warlocks."

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

CobiWann posted:

It's a Genie (Djinn) Warlock with poorly inked facial tattoos, but its lack of musical talent is why Genie Warlocks are the one subclass that's banned on Tanicus.

"I'll figure out a way to bring in Warforged and Half-Orcs before I allow Genie Warlocks. I'll switch to One D&D before I allow Genie Warlocks. I'd allow Lorraine Williams to sit at my gaming table before I allow Genie Warlocks."

Are these warlocks ludicrously overpowered or some such?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

JustJeff88 posted:

Not knowing anything about this topic, I’d like to know this as well.

In other news: after 42 years of gaming, and thirty five with the same group, a player created their first magic item in my game. I know it’s probably not a big deal to most of you, but I feel like eyes were opened in the group last week. The player created a high steel sword that could do a daily heal spell and suddenly everyone was saying, “why haven’t we been doing this all along?”

Admittedly we typically play in low magic settings so the D&D dragon hoard thing doesn’t happen in our games, but for some reason I had a player decide to take an alchemy/enchanting track for their development.

Of course my rug-merchant player said, “how many of those can you make a month? We can make a fortune!”

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

nah, the OP warlocks are the ones who drink a lot of coffee

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Agrikk posted:

Not knowing anything about this topic, I’d like to know this as well.

In other news: after 42 years of gaming, and thirty five with the same group, a player created their first magic item in my game. I know it’s probably not a big deal to most of you, but I feel like eyes were opened in the group last week. The player created a high steel sword that could do a daily heal spell and suddenly everyone was saying, “why haven’t we been doing this all along?”

Admittedly we typically play in low magic settings so the D&D dragon hoard thing doesn’t happen in our games, but for some reason I had a player decide to take an alchemy/enchanting track for their development.

Of course my rug-merchant player said, “how many of those can you make a month? We can make a fortune!”

We did some item creation in our 2e campaigns in the 90s, but much moreso we did a loooot of spell research. Any caster, even priests, was expected to come up with their own spells. We didn't like the rigidity of Vancian systems and did a great deal to make them not suck - this was one of those things.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

JustJeff88 posted:

They just seem fun, you get a bottle you can hide in and a limited form of wish at level 14 (cast any 1action 6th or lower spell at no cost, can use again in 1d4 days). Maybe a little better than other warlocks but it’s not egregiously broken.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 18, 2022

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

JustJeff88 posted:

I don't think so. Their biggest perks are: Extra damage once per round equal to your proficiency bonus, The magic vessel, which at 10th level, lets you gain the benefits of a short rest if you spend 10 minutes inside as well as allows any allies inside to heal extra if they're inside, the ability to give yourself flight a number of times per day, and yeah, access to Limited Wish and Wish.

Nothing ridiculous, but it is pretty drat good. If I ever get to play D&D again, if the rest of the party doesn't end up being caster heavy, it's probably the patron I'll take.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Golden Bee posted:

NOVA ROMA AINT GOING AWAY!
Science City Saga!
I somehow posted this before. Sorry!

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 05:34 on May 3, 2024

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

the_steve posted:

I don't think so. Their biggest perks are: Extra damage once per round equal to your proficiency bonus, The magic vessel, which at 10th level, lets you gain the benefits of a short rest if you spend 10 minutes inside as well as allows any allies inside to heal extra if they're inside, the ability to give yourself flight a number of times per day, and yeah, access to Limited Wish and Wish.

Nothing ridiculous, but it is pretty drat good. If I ever get to play D&D again, if the rest of the party doesn't end up being caster heavy, it's probably the patron I'll take.

That does sound tremendously fun.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

JustJeff88 posted:

That does sound tremendously fun.

It and Hexblade are probably the two best patrons available in the official material.
Honestly, the only reason I don't plan on running Hexblade as my first choice if I ever get into a game is because I'm wanting a Tomelock for RP reasons, namely that he's a Chef and the ritual book is going to double as his cookbook and that idea just tickles me.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
so is your patron will-smith-genie or robin-williams-genie

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

redleader posted:

Gotta be Shaq

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Sinbad!

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

the_steve posted:

It and Hexblade are probably the two best patrons available in the official material.
Honestly, the only reason I don't plan on running Hexblade as my first choice if I ever get into a game is because I'm wanting a Tomelock for RP reasons, namely that he's a Chef and the ritual book is going to double as his cookbook and that idea just tickles me.

If I played 5e, I would want to be a bard. It's the first edition of D&D since.... ever where the class seems good.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

JustJeff88 posted:

If I played 5e, I would want to be a bard. It's the first edition of D&D since.... ever where the class seems good.

I played a bard in a brief 4e game and it was a lot of fun. I can't speak for the full level range but it seemed like it would work fine. In 1e the whole multi class path requirements made it so that by the time you got to be a bard you were pretty capable anyway, and the bard class abilities were fairly impressive on top of that.

It was only in 2e and 3.X that bards got the shaft, being a lovely-thief-plus-a-bit and just plain lovely respectively.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

redleader posted:

Barbara Eden :allears:

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
Yeah, 4e Bards are a ton of fun. I most recently played a melee-oriented bard whose Bardic Thing was ballet and he was fun as hell.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Lemniscate Blue posted:

It was only in 2e and 3.X that bards got the shaft, being a lovely-thief-plus-a-bit and just plain lovely respectively.

Bards were actually totally fine in 3.5, despite all the memes. Their spellcasting was fine and Bardic Inspiration was a powerful force multiplier.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

The Shaq of Comedy!

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

redleader posted:

No love for Lenny-Henry-genie?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

senrath posted:

Bards were actually totally fine in 3.5, despite all the memes. Their spellcasting was fine and Bardic Inspiration was a powerful force multiplier.

Fair enough; I don't recall anyone playing one in any 3.5 game I was in.

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Fair enough; I don't recall anyone playing one in any 3.5 game I was in.

It's pretty bananas, once you got access to the abilities that let you Inspire as a move action and then cast a Haste in the same round. Now your party's all hopped up on turbo PCP and you are free to spend your actions doing whatever the hell you want; you're already the team MVP. I remember I spent a fair amount of money commissioning what was essentially a magical megaphone so I could do play-by-play during combat if it wasn't particularly dangerous.

The piles of small + and - bonus juggling from 3.5/pathfinder certainly could be a headache but there is something exceptionally gratifying about the absolute tsunami of flesh blending numerical destruction a melee dps could upend on someone at level 10+. It provides a particular kind of high whose absence is sorely felt.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bards didn't have nine different gamebreaking spells per level but they were still spellcasters in 3rd edition so were quite capable of handling things.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

JustJeff88 posted:

"You get a free Leomund's Tiny Hut (only better) that also works as a portable hole that can be accessed an unlimited number of times a day at first level, plus bonus damage once per turn... and at 10th level you can have the entire party in your unlimited safe space with you."

"You can literally have your vessel be a ring that someone else can wear so even if the party doesn't want a short rest on a longer journey, the warlock can hop in for a quick recharge between random encounters while the tank just wears his "tiny hut" until he has his spells back."

"And while it has an AC and can be destroyed, if it's a ring that's being worn, it can't be targeted by the RAW."

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Haste has always been overpowered. It's the dire fate of all RPGs that anything that changes the action economy will always be too strong. Originally it aged the recipient one year, but no-one respected that or even really tracked age, so it had no downside.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
“Once you enter the vessel, you can’t enter again until you finish a long rest.”

It’s not overpowered, it’s annoyingly limited actually!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
It's less a portable hideout your party can roleplay around, and more just a 1/day special ability to rest safely