Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Sundae posted:

His website, emphasis mine:

I'd make the workplace so loving hostile if this guy was my coworker.

Which one of them is this, Acampora or Du Soleil?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

Which one of them is this, Acampora or Du Soleil?

Du Soleil. Jon's profile is boring.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Welcome back to the 2022 excel championship. We are joining Chester, an associate analyst in Goldman’s investment arm. He’s entered the third tab and seems to be cruising along.

Right you are Ken, it was touch and go for a minute in the “numbers formatted as text” sandtrap last tab, but he chipped out of it. It was impressive how he-

Hold on Alec, are you seeing what I’m seeing?

Oh indeed, Chester is hard coding the year into his lookup formula instead of pointing to a reference cell!

I can’t imagine what he’s thinking, this classic blunder will undoubtedly earn a demerit with the judges who are looking for scalability of the model.

We see this with investment bankers - they churn through jobs quickly and prioritize speed, figuring they won’t be around to clean up the model when the next year rolls around.

Whatever the reason, this is thrilling stuff. Let’s see if our on desk reporter Roland can dig up any insights from Chester’s coach..

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Sundae posted:

It's the backup table for when someone in the audience doesn't like your data.

Picturing one of those blackboards that flips over

Chart going down -> chart going up!

Fourier Series
Apr 5, 2020

by Hand Knit

Democratic Pirate posted:

Welcome back to the 2022 excel championship. We are joining Chester, an associate analyst in Goldman’s investment arm. He’s entered the third tab and seems to be cruising along.

Right you are Ken, it was touch and go for a minute in the “numbers formatted as text” sandtrap last tab, but he chipped out of it. It was impressive how he-

Hold on Alec, are you seeing what I’m seeing?

Oh indeed, Chester is hard coding the year into his lookup formula instead of pointing to a reference cell!

I can’t imagine what he’s thinking, this classic blunder will undoubtedly earn a demerit with the judges who are looking for scalability of the model.

We see this with investment bankers - they churn through jobs quickly and prioritize speed, figuring they won’t be around to clean up the model when the next year rolls around.

Whatever the reason, this is thrilling stuff. Let’s see if our on desk reporter Roland can dig up any insights from Chester’s coach..
Is this a joke? Or is it really that tone of sport commentating for the Excel championships?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Fourier Series posted:

Is this a joke? Or is it really that tone of sport commentating for the Excel championships?

I don't know, but I'm on the edge of my seat here.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

TraderStav posted:

I don't know, but I'm on the edge of my seat here.

But are you on the edge of the table?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

priznat posted:

But I’m serious I still don’t have a clue what a pivot table is.

Serious answer: Let's say you have a spreadsheet with a list of computers, with hard drive size and RAM as columns. Using the pivot table wizard, you can learn how many machines have 8GB RAM and how many have 16GB. Or, it does CountOF and Average calculations for you.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

priznat posted:

I would just always ask “what is a pivot table?” So often he just blocks me on Teams

it's a way of representing an n-way (or n-rank tensor if you're a huge nerd like me) dataset in 2-way manner. A normal spreadsheet is a 2-way dataset, but you could have five, ten or a million dimensions and those can't be shown on a screen in any meaningful sense.

In a pivot table you select which parameters you want to see and it helps you make sense of the maddness.

edit: I realized what I wrote might not be helpful. 2-way would be 2 dimensions

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

JohnCompany posted:

But are you on the edge of the table?

*checks ticket*

"Row 1,048,576"

:bisonyes:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

we'll give you the entire pivot graph but you'll only need the edge

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

champagne posting posted:

it's a way of representing an n-way (or n-rank tensor if you're a huge nerd like me) dataset in 2-way manner.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

*Brian under his breath* Oh goddammit she's one of those anti-OOP people gently caress.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

priznat posted:

I would just always ask “what is a pivot table?” So often he just blocks me on Teams

It’s an arbitrary and useless data reduction strategy that doesn’t tell you anything you didn’t already know but looks kinda cool to dumb people.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
Data reduction for executives i like 90% of my job. I like pivot tables. I can change the data as fast as they change their minds, arbitrarily.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Pivot tables are great for rapid prototyping and bloody awful for most other things.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Fil5000 posted:

Pivot tables are great for rapid prototyping and bloody awful for most other things.

Yeah it’s this. Want a quick read on a distribution of a bunch of categoricals, or some quick and dirty cross tabs? Pivot tables are great.

For any kind of repeatable analysis, advanced work, or consistent reporting they suck.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Threadkiller Dog posted:

Data reduction for executives i like 90% of my job. I like pivot tables. I can change the data as fast as they change their minds, arbitrarily.

Best pithy description of what pivot tables are for I've ever seen right here.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Eric the Mauve posted:

Best pithy description of what pivot tables are for I've ever seen right here.
The best dashboard you can make without busting out Tableau and scaring off Chadwick completely.

Oh, you want to 'drill down'? Sure ,drop-down menu, select "CA" market, listen to impressed shooting.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I fired up R to do a chi squared test in a meeting the other day. Even though we're supposedly scientists, people behaved like I was a wizard practicing the dark arts. Good job it was a teams meeting or I could have met a fiery end.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Alt-tab, Ctrl-Arrow keys to select data, Ctrl-c, Ctrl-v, Ctrl-Shift-L: arcane spells lifted from a Tome of Tabs.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
nerds

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

I fired up R to do a chi squared test in a meeting the other day. Even though we're supposedly scientists, people behaved like I was a wizard practicing the dark arts. Good job it was a teams meeting or I could have met a fiery end.

EVERY MORNING I OPEN PALM SLAM AN INDEPENDENCE TEST INTO R.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde
Took read:barely passed the whole Calc sequence and Linear Algebra and now the hardest math I do is long division. I still spend an inordinate amount of time correcting analysts’ work and making their charts legible and nice to look at.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

tumblr hype man posted:

Took read:barely passed the whole Calc sequence and Linear Algebra and now the hardest math I do is long division. I still spend an inordinate amount of time correcting analysts’ work and making their charts legible and nice to look at.

yea

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Threadkiller Dog posted:

You want to REALLY impress those executives? Get a license for ThinkCell and bring your PowerPoint game to the big leagues.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

TraderStav posted:

You want to REALLY impress those executives? Get a license for ThinkCell and bring your PowerPoint game to the big leagues.

I embedded a powerbi report page inside a PowerPoint slide and my managers manager lost his poo poo.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

tumblr hype man posted:

Took read:barely passed the whole Calc sequence and Linear Algebra and now the hardest math I do is long division.

Extremely this.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
My managers shut me down hard when I showed up with some pivot tables, because they didn't know how they worked and didn't want to learn.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Aah another practitioner of the dark arts

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

My business unit has 2 primary teams. One manager likes pivot tables, the other prefers lookup formulas and such. Entry level applicants are basically getting to choose their skill tree for basic excel analysis.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I had a manager who liked to use macros for everything. Frequently I would need to have multiple workbooks open at one time. For some reason he was fond of “ctrl f” for deleting all data on a worksheet. He did not understand why I had a problem with this.

You might think this was intentional, but this guy also didn’t like music and once drove from San Diego to Vancouver BC with the radio off. He did not understand why anyone thought this was strange. In retrospect I think he may have had ASD.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
I have a question about recruiters in the US - is there any point to using them? My partner runs an Australian-based data reporting start-up and he's at the point where he probably needs someone on the ground in America to manage their clients there due to the time zone differences causing support delays. Since the company is willing to offer the same leave benefits available to our Australian employees I don't think there's going to be any issue in attracting candidates. Mr bee met with a recruiter this morning and the recruiter's fee is 25% of the salary which seems excessive considering when we've used a tech-specific recruiter here it's been around 13-15%. Is there something I'm missing here that the recruiter does that is worth that extra 10% fee?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

25% isn't that unusual in my experience, though it's on the high end. Pharma rather than tech though.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Democratic Pirate posted:

My business unit has 2 primary teams. One manager likes pivot tables, the other prefers lookup formulas and such. Entry level applicants are basically getting to choose their skill tree for basic excel analysis.

There is nothing I can do with a Pivot Table that I can't do with 900 sheets each with its own VLOOKUP, motherfucker :colbert:

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

bee posted:

I have a question about recruiters in the US - is there any point to using them? My partner runs an Australian-based data reporting start-up and he's at the point where he probably needs someone on the ground in America to manage their clients there due to the time zone differences causing support delays. Since the company is willing to offer the same leave benefits available to our Australian employees I don't think there's going to be any issue in attracting candidates. Mr bee met with a recruiter this morning and the recruiter's fee is 25% of the salary which seems excessive considering when we've used a tech-specific recruiter here it's been around 13-15%. Is there something I'm missing here that the recruiter does that is worth that extra 10% fee?
Been on both sides of working with recruiters to find experienced scientists and engineers. 2-3 months’ salary seems to be the norm. So 25% is the top of the range.

Have you asked the local recruiter if they have any relationships with US firms? If you’re looking at specific fields, it’s a real small world.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Encountered a “bio break” this morning. I took my break happily ignorant of human waste and all its producers and outlets.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I didn’t realize people used that term outside of Warcraft raids lol.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

bee posted:

Depending what you're looking for it may be more of a challenge to find what you're looking for. Good leave benefits are great but I don't know that that by itself will make finding someone trivial. I agree 25% is high but within the regular bounds, the guys I use usually do 2 months salary.

Is it worth it? It depends. If you are looking for something hard to find.I can see a search sucking up a lot of time. If you do have time I'd probably suggest casting your net first on your own and seeing what you find. If your in a time crunch then I'd probably say just pay the recruiter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

remigious posted:

I didn’t realize people used that term outside of Warcraft raids lol.

Perhaps my coworker has outed themselves. Appropriately corporate term though.