Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1603477261142876166

Rare Cornyn W

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

wow nice cancel culturing JOHN

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it's maddening how full of fake, useless and harmful stuff is on tiktok and facebook shorts

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

i say swears online posted:

it's maddening how full of fake, useless and harmful stuff is on tiktok and facebook shorts

Social media is a cancer.

At least, in its current state.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/DLNHLGSN/status/1603971881127780352

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

i say swears online posted:

working my way down dirty sixth like they're pokemon gyms

thread Austinpost award goes to i say swears online

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Lol the weather models are starting to become convinced we're going to have a cold af christmas

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
My brother's coming in from SoCal to my parents' in the Lubbock area. Hope he still owns a winter coat lol

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Lol the weather models are starting to become convinced we're going to have a cold af christmas

Is that the high or low? Please be the low...

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'll be cold for christmas.

You can count on me.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Old James posted:

Is that the high or low? Please be the low...

It's at 12z on Friday, so about 6 am

Things are still liable to change as it is a 132 hour model, but this cold spell has been floating around the models for a week already. It might not be this cold, but it will still be colder than normal

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

It's at 12z on Friday, so about 6 am

Things are still liable to change as it is a 132 hour model, but this cold spell has been floating around the models for a week already. It might not be this cold, but it will still be colder than normal

This. Right now the hope is that it stays on the warm side of the predictions, to reduce the risk to people/power/pipes/plants. There's a significant difference between 20F and 25F.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
What's up with the thread title?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Lmao Texas trib has an article today about partisanship 😱 and ideology🫢 infecting local politics, which are supposed to be nonpartisan 😤

These stupid rear end reporters I swear to god

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
you gotta give me more notice so I can make sure I have my clutching pearls ready

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Badger of Basra posted:

Lmao Texas trib has an article today about partisanship 😱 and ideology🫢 infecting local politics, which are supposed to be nonpartisan 😤

These stupid rear end reporters I swear to god

Here's the actual story, which is about Odessa firing the city manager and city attorney after some right-wing nutjobs got elected to the city council. And that is a very weird thing that doesn't typically happen. This isn't just people who are clearly partisan being elected in positions that are technically nonpartisan, it's weird ideology-driven attacks on pure technocrats who are just doing their job. It would be like the council coming in and firing the garbage collector for some unknown political reason.

I loving swear, sometimes the nihilistic "fuckin' :lol: hellworld" attitude around here is almost indistinguishable from fasc advocacy. "Who cares if they are doing terrible things, we expect it. The people who care about it are the dumb ones!" gently caress off with that bullshit.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Odessa is what happens when your run of the mill business Republicans lose the fight against the true believers who've spent decades being told government is the enemy and their entire existence is based around the culture war and imagined grievances. i wish my parents would move from there but theyll end up dying in that shithole

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

A lot of local government is dudes sitting around thinking "what can I do to further the cause of terrorizing certain demographics" instead of just being some boring poo poo they deal with from time to time. A lot of local government people, especially for smaller towns, didn't really treat it as their job, it was just something they did to give back because they're bored and collect a modest paycheck.

I remember in high school at my small town the local treasurer said he only ran (and won) the position because his accounting job didn't have a good baseball team. Nowadays I'm sure a lot of treasurers are just eagerly pretending that they can't accept payment for outstanding fees without proof of assigned sex at birth.

jokes fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 19, 2022

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I don't understand why people in Odessa and Midland act so miserable all the time; I look at my life in Odessa and have a hard time envisioning myself being happier somewhere else.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

General Dog posted:

I don't understand why people in Odessa and Midland act so miserable all the time; I look at my life in Odessa and have a hard time envisioning myself being happier somewhere else.

not gonna lie, that's a pretty miserable thing to say

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

LanceHunter posted:

Here's the actual story, which is about Odessa firing the city manager and city attorney after some right-wing nutjobs got elected to the city council. And that is a very weird thing that doesn't typically happen. This isn't just people who are clearly partisan being elected in positions that are technically nonpartisan, it's weird ideology-driven attacks on pure technocrats who are just doing their job. It would be like the council coming in and firing the garbage collector for some unknown political reason.

I loving swear, sometimes the nihilistic "fuckin' :lol: hellworld" attitude around here is almost indistinguishable from fasc advocacy. "Who cares if they are doing terrible things, we expect it. The people who care about it are the dumb ones!" gently caress off with that bullshit.

Maybe the actual firing of the city manager is bad but the framing is ridiculous. If it’s bad say why, instead they just quote a bunch of people saying it’s bad for elected officials to have an ideology

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Captain Monkey posted:

Have you read their post history

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

No Safe Word posted:

Have you read their post history

no.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I live a life ethically committed to the immiseration of others and myself.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

General Dog posted:

General Dog posted:

Full disclosure: I'm O&G and I'm also an irredeemable fash

Checks out.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
I rolled out the generator and cleaned the carb today, and ran it for 15 minutes under load. I'm prepared.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Captain Monkey posted:

Hahahah

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I’m going on a road trip starting Thursday where we’ll be car camping probably 100% of the time. Gonna be a popsicle in the back of a grand Cherokee hell yea.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

George H.W. oval office posted:

I’m going on a road trip starting Thursday where we’ll be car camping probably 100% of the time. Gonna be a popsicle in the back of a grand Cherokee hell yea.

I hope you have some very good winter gear.

Edit: I'm surprised ERCOT isn't putting out at least daily tweets to reassure folks that the grid will be fine. Nothing since 12/16, and the forecast has evolved since then.

Shooting Blanks fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Dec 20, 2022

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Shooting Blanks posted:

I hope you have some very good winter gear.

Edit: I'm surprised ERCOT isn't putting out at least daily tweets to reassure folks that the grid will be fine. Nothing since 12/16, and the forecast has evolved since then.

Space City Weather showing (at least for Houston) the actual temps won’t be as low or last as long as 2021, so I’m kinda assuming the whole state is like that. I saw that also there’s not as much generation offline going into it as last time so overall the state is in better shape. I could be completely wrong of course, and I’d actually like to see more articles if there’s some overall statewide analysis of things going into the weekend.

All that said, they absolutely should still be reassuring people because lol if you think there’s any kind of trust built back. I wouldn’t be surprised if after the likely minor improvements they’ve done over the last year we get a victory lap of “power was only offline for 10 hours vs 72 and ONLY 10 people died vs 200. PUBLIC TRUST RESTORED.”

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i definitely got an email from centerpoint saying not to turn the heat above 65 for the next few days. normally i would be happy to comply but we have a three week old baby in the house so it's gonna have be warmer than that. if the power goes out in texas.... sorry everyone.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

more importantly it'll be pretty dry, so no ice storms taking out local power lines and crippling transportation with iced-over roads

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
I will say, my life has improved considerably since I left Midland.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Cael posted:

Space City Weather showing (at least for Houston) the actual temps won’t be as low or last as long as 2021, so I’m kinda assuming the whole state is like that. I saw that also there’s not as much generation offline going into it as last time so overall the state is in better shape. I could be completely wrong of course, and I’d actually like to see more articles if there’s some overall statewide analysis of things going into the weekend.

All that said, they absolutely should still be reassuring people because lol if you think there’s any kind of trust built back. I wouldn’t be surprised if after the likely minor improvements they’ve done over the last year we get a victory lap of “power was only offline for 10 hours vs 72 and ONLY 10 people died vs 200. PUBLIC TRUST RESTORED.”

This was my main point. Even something along the lines of "We're in contact with XYZ powergen companies around the clock to ensure operating reserves are sufficient to meet demand." or "We're confirming that local utility companies to keep emergency crews on standby in case of local outages."

They don't have to promise anything, just some kind of communication to let people know that they aren't depending on hopes and prayers.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Arcella posted:

I will say, my life has improved considerably since I left Midland.

So did Midland.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i would absolutely choose to live in midland/odessa on an O&G salary than whatever the gently caress i've got going on in austin

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

midland has some of the best stats of any city in the US (because of oil money)

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

get your cdl and start hauling sand my brother

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

hawowanlawow posted:

midland has some of the best stats of any city in the US (because of oil money)

What about the crucial “not sucking rear end” stat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the economist suckass index is skewed against non-euro cities anyway