Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
After deciding to put a halt on Goliath after the hugely disappointing second season....I decided to start rewatching 'Banshee'. Just as insanely pulpy as I remember it. Hoon Lee as Job is great.

Really looking forward to season three of 'Warrior'....too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
We’re now 4 episodes into Three Pines. Still enjoying it but it’s not perfect. Occasionally the dialogue is a little unnatural — I’d suspect these are taken from the books but I haven’t read them. It’s also a bit unsubtle/preachy at times, which I think is intentionally forcing the audience to confront the atrocities inflicted on first peoples. If you’re used to shows that slip messages in obliquely this is not it. You get full discussion by characters and full emotional reactions by the lead. A friend of my wife watched the first 2 episodes and complained about White Savior problems but I kind of disagree with this because at least so far Molina’s character has failed spectacularly with the ongoing missing persons case and he’s been an obvious audience surrogate doing the hard work to dig into old injustices and react to them.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Went through series 3 of Stargirl. It's really come of age: the acting and narrative are way more solid than in the first two series and over the course of the episodes it maintains an unassuming, steady pace and quality of "not being poo poo", which, as a superhero show - and a DC superhero show at that - is a remarkable achievement. From that baseline, it actually tips over into "good" at well timed, well thought out moments, so for anyone who's caught the first two series of the show this should prove an entertaining, even satisfactory watch.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm sort of dreading Christmas and it's been raining so I've just gone on this Britcom jag. I'd forgotten how much these shows make me laugh. Random episodes of Peep Show, Him & Her, White Gold, The Inbetweeners, even poo poo like Plebs.

Which is a long preamble to saying that Charlotte Richie (amazing) and Lisa Kudrow are in this two season, Channel 4 / Netflix show called Feel Good and it's really lovely and fun. High energy too, particularly once you get to the second episode i got more into the rhythms of the show. Sophie Thompson off Gosford Park does this loving aces turn as this absolutely manic collapse of a woman, total whirling energy and mile a minute mouth, just the kind of incredible character acting that i love from this kind of stuff. Recommended.

Might try and finish Scrotal Recall / Love Sick after this, or check out Stath Lets Flats.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Open Source Idiom posted:

Which is a long preamble to saying that Charlotte Richie (amazing) and Lisa Kudrow are in this two season, Channel 4 / Netflix show called Feel Good and it's really lovely and fun. High energy too, particularly once you get to the second episode i got more into the rhythms of the show. Sophie Thompson off Gosford Park does this loving aces turn as this absolutely manic collapse of a woman, total whirling energy and mile a minute mouth, just the kind of incredible character acting that i love from this kind of stuff. Recommended.

Feel Good is really goddamn good. There are a plethora of shows where comedians play fictionalized versions of themselves in dramedies, and honestly this one nails it. I'd never heard of Mae Martin before but now I'm a huge fan of theirs. Lisa Kudrow also shines in it and Connie's to confirm that she was the best Friend. I never hear anyone talk about this show so I hope it's at least someone known in England.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

I'm sort of dreading Christmas and it's been raining so I've just gone on this Britcom jag. I'd forgotten how much these shows make me laugh. Random episodes of Peep Show, Him & Her, White Gold, The Inbetweeners, even poo poo like Plebs.

I've been mulling over making a post about Plebs.

I had never heard of it until I saw an article on the BBC that it was not getting a new series so I checked it out. It starts out tolerable - entirely derivative, mind you: there's not a character, concept or storyline that hasn't been copied wholesale from somewhere else - and with serious flaws: caricatures for characters, the historic setting isn't used for poo poo, all the women are gorgeous and all the men are twats, but it has its entertaining moments and serves well enough as background TV.

Then as it progresses it loses what little steam it has and after a few cast changes it becomes dogshit. Which is sad, because it feels like it could have been more.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Feel Good was great. Plebs was extremely not.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
So, the Schad thread pointed out some amusing happenings in History channel's "Alone" series. I've been binge watching it on Hulu for a little bit now, and I'm almost done with season 2.

It's a show about 10 people being dropped off, alone, on Vancouver Island. Overall, the show is halfway hilarious because you have people who lose their flints, then someone making fun of the person who lost their flint the previous season then they lose their flint. You have big tough army vets who say they won't need to be evacuated out and an hour later they're calling to be evacuated because they saw a 4 lb bear poo on their landing site.

It's becoming very clear that Vancouver Island simply isn't sustainable for a long amount of time because of the food choices are just too few in calories unless you eat a TON of them. So people who figure everything out seem to be tapping out of boredom from not being able to do anything because they'd need to eat 10 lbs of trout or something. I'm hoping season 3 has a different location that has an abundance of wildlife beyond alpha predators that have already eaten everything.

What is also shocking is that a bunch of people question why they're out there in the first place. They feel like they're losing their time in the real world by being there. I can't wrap my head around that concept. Like, at all.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 18, 2022

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

agreed on Plebs, i only watched it for Joel Fry and even then couldn’t get through it

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Philthy posted:

So, the Schad thread pointed out some amusing happenings in History channel's "Alone" series. I've been binge watching it on Hulu for a little bit now, and I'm almost done with season 2.

It's a show about 10 people being dropped off, alone, on Vancouver Island. Overall, the show is halfway hilarious because you have people who lose their flints, then someone making fun of the person who lost their flint the previous season then they lose their flint. You have big tough army vets who say they won't need to be evacuated out and an hour later they're calling to be evacuated because they saw a 4 lb bear poo on their landing site.

It's becoming very clear that Vancouver Island simply isn't sustainable for a long amount of time because of the food choices are just too few in calories unless you eat a TON of them. So people who figure everything out seem to be tapping out of boredom from not being able to do anything because they'd need to eat 10 lbs of trout or something. I'm hoping season 3 has a different location that has an abundance of wildlife beyond alpha predators that have already eaten everything.

What is also shocking is that a bunch of people question why they're out there in the first place. They feel like they're losing their time in the real world by being there. I can't wrap my head around that concept. Like, at all.

This seems like a good time to remind everyone of the crazy existence (or not?) of Eden, the reality show where 23 people were left for a year in the wilderness to survive except the show was taken off the air and just.... nobody bothered to tell them

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/news/a54127/reality-show-canceled/

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
My wife and I just finished Andor last night, and it actually surpassed all the hype I had been reading. Definitely the best-written Star Wars media ever, and the most "adult." She tolerated it because it barely felt like a Star Wars thing at all.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Yeah my wife is not a Star wars person at all but I think I may recommend Andor for our next watch.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Yeah my wife is not a Star wars person at all but I think I may recommend Andor for our next watch.

My girlfriend is the same way and she thought Andor was still “very Star Wars” and didn’t like it. She watched through episode 3 but then gave up. Gave it more of a chance than I thought she would though.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
I've tried to watch Andor three times and haven't been able to make it through the first episode without getting bored. It just doesn't hook me. I also didn't care for Rogue One so maybe I just can't get into a show about a character who I know is already dead.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I almost bounced on the first episode too. It is kinda boring, at least at first (I thought much better of it on a rewatch). Also I never liked Roge One much, I watched it a long time ago and barely remembered anything about it (I didint remember Andor at all)

But I went on and I dont regret it: by episode 3 I was interested, by episode 6 I was completely hooked and by the end it become my favorite Star Wars thing since the OT and one of the best TV shows I watched this year, star wars or not

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
It was starting to lose me with the last two episodes, but I think Andor is definitely worth giving three episodes before making a final decision on it. If you’re struggling getting through the first episode, then maybe not but I’d say for anyone on the fence it’s worth giving it a few episodes to see some of the pieces start moving.

mystes
May 31, 2006

clown shoes posted:

I've tried to watch Andor three times and haven't been able to make it through the first episode without getting bored. It just doesn't hook me. I also didn't care for Rogue One so maybe I just can't get into a show about a character who I know is already dead.
It gets better as it goes along but oth if you really don't like it maybe it just isn't for you

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I just finished Wednesday on Netflix. Overall, the show was fine. If you remove Jenna Ortega from the cast as Wednesday, then the show would immediately devolve into barely tolerable YA fare. If you go into expecting an Addam's family adaptation, then I would caution you to remember that the title is just Wednesday, otherwise, you're going to be really disappointed. The only other family member that's in the show the entire time is Thing.

Taking away the Addam's name and judging it on its own merits, I wasn't super impressed as a whole. It also had a real Harry Potter/Percy Jackson vibe to it. But it was a fun watch that I could have on while I did other things and still keep up with pretty effortlessly.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
i only saw jenna ortega in s2 of you and she was a stand out there, the kind of performance that rose above the material, so it makes sense she's getting picked up as a new about to be an adult star. got zero interest in wednesday after watching the trailer which was corny and hearing it doesn't really go anywhere and isn't consistent. from a distance it looks like a repeat of that sabrina thing, which starred kiernan shipka who was in a similar position after mad men, but i couldn't even make it through 15 minutes of it the dialogue was so bad.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Sabrina was really bad, and yeah I got the same vibes from Wednesday. I think the issues I have with both of them is that Netflix is really, really good at astroturfing.

They're both, probably, okay shows but not nearly as fantastic amazing wow as the "internet" seems to say. I saw an ad on Instagram mentioning that Jenna Ortega got a billion followers or whatever overnight; I was a little curious how that was an ad but it had the advertisement disclaimer and everything.

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

I’ve been trying trying to catch up on things I need to watch for my year end review. Just finished Station Eleven. Very nice show. I’m glad it’s a narratively tight mini series and not a drawn out multiple season story.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Finished my rewatch of Banshee. Hands down one of the most entertaining (and pulpy) shows of all time.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Doom Patrol got it's hooks in early. Alan Tudyk can do no wrong and I love Brandon Fraser.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

Doom Patrol got it's hooks in early. Alan Tudyk can do no wrong and I love Brandon Fraser.

this is one i never got. i don't watch comic stuff normally but people were really hyping it up as something a bit better.

so if you're not watching comic stuff, and vaguely curious, don't be. it's poo poo.

and that's why i'm ignoring all the andor talk. even at it's very best, it's still going to be bad.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Lol

No one in this thread seems to be able to just ‘not watch’ a show.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
watching something you don't like isn't a crime. sometimes things are bad.

i'm just saying some things get casually accepted as 'good' and that bleeds in when they're actually still bad, they're just relatively better. but when you come in cold without the comparison, all you see is how bad something is. i assume that's what andor is and i'm not gonna watching it to find out cos it's fuckin star wars, the chances of it moving me in any way are like 0.00000001 to 1.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Finished my rewatch of Banshee. Hands down one of the most entertaining (and pulpy) shows of all time.

Agreed. I recommend Banshee to people all the time, whether they asked for TV recommendations or not.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Made it through 1899 on Netflix. What a mess. Started off with a lot of good potential but quickly disappeared up its own rear end. A masterclass on how to make the audience stop caring about the story and characters. I only pushed through it because I wanted to know whether the end credits would use "When the Levee Breaks" . Way too many ambitions, and as a result manages to gently caress up all of them. At least the cast wasn't terrible, and the costumes and sets were well done I guess.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Buttchocks posted:

Made it through 1899 on Netflix. What a mess. Started off with a lot of good potential but quickly disappeared up its own rear end. A masterclass on how to make the audience stop caring about the story and characters. I only pushed through it because I wanted to know whether the end credits would use "When the Levee Breaks" . Way too many ambitions, and as a result manages to gently caress up all of them. At least the cast wasn't terrible, and the costumes and sets were well done I guess.

It's a little disappointing to hear the reaction to 1899, I just watched all of Dark over the last couple of months and was really interested in what they'd do next. I'll still check it out eventually though, it might be a good one to come back to when there's more seasons, assuming that happens.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

roomtone posted:

watching something you don't like isn't a crime. sometimes things are bad.

i'm just saying some things get casually accepted as 'good' and that bleeds in when they're actually still bad, they're just relatively better. but when you come in cold without the comparison, all you see is how bad something is. i assume that's what andor is and i'm not gonna watching it to find out cos it's fuckin star wars, the chances of it moving me in any way are like 0.00000001 to 1.

It’s probably a bit better than you’re guessing but you’re basically right honestly. Andor is fine but like people calling it one of the best shows of the year when Saul, Atlanta, Severance, The Bear, and a GREAT many other much better shows exist is wild

Tehdas
Dec 30, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

It’s probably a bit better than you’re guessing but you’re basically right honestly. Andor is fine but like people calling it one of the best shows of the year when Saul, Atlanta, Severance, The Bear, and a GREAT many other much better shows exist is wild

Saul and Atlanta are not really 'of this year', since they are long running series.
But yeah while Andor is good, and is certainly top tier for new series this year, it's not obviously better than Severence or The Bear.
(and yeah, you know Disney are going to look at the success of s1 and decide that it could have been even better if they would just put more fanservice in, s2 will most likely suck)

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Tehdas posted:

Saul and Atlanta are not really 'of this year', since they are long running series.
But yeah while Andor is good, and is certainly top tier for new series this year, it's not obviously better than Severence or The Bear.
(and yeah, you know Disney are going to look at the success of s1 and decide that it could have been even better if they would just put more fanservice in, s2 will most likely suck)

Pretty much. Andor is the best star wars thing since the OT and a good show on its own. I would rank it among the best TV that came out this year but yeah, there are even better stuff, like Severance (haven’t watched The Bear)

Andor uses the star wars universe has a scenario for a good thriller drama about an underground resistance to a huge authoritarian state, and I think it could be good even if you took it out all the star wars from it (thought it’s unique representation of this universe is quite interesting too, and part of the appeal)

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I am lagging behind, but I went and sunday-binged Wednesday.
I should probably have spaced it out a bit, because Wednesday's shtick (the character's) grows a bit thin in higher doses.

I know that's her thing and too much character development would ruin her overall, but I would have appreciated a little variance/creativity over smug/morbid one-liners. The opening scene oversold what came in the next ~6 hours in my opinion.

Fun little romp, if not a bit too much by the numbers?

I don't know if decades of tv consumption have ruined me or if it was made that obvious for the audience to figure out, but I called both the identity of the monster and its handler (once the latter was established) fairly early and the (brief) misdirection with the shrinkalso didn't work for me.

But on the other hand, I only noticed that Christina Ricci was in it when I saw her name pop up in the opening credits of the final episode and I thought she would have a *wink wink* cameo in the end, so I felt really dumb afterwards. Goon face blindness. But in all fairness, I haven't followed her career much and therefore was not exactly familiar with what she looks like now.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Dec 20, 2022

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

mcbexx posted:

I should probably have spaced it out a bit, because Wednesday's shtick (the character's) grows a bit thin in higher doses.

I know that's her thing and too much character development would ruin her overall, but I would have appreciated a little variance/creativity over smug/morbid one-liners. The opening scene oversold what came in the next ~6 hours in my opinion.

I don't know if decades of tv consumption have ruined me or if it was made that obvious for the audience to figure out, but I called both the identity of the monster and its handler (once the latter was established) fairly early and the (brief) misdirection with the shrink also didn't work for me.

But on the other hand, I only noticed that Christina Ricci was in it when I saw her name pop up in the opening credits of the final episode and I thought she would have a *wink wink* cameo in the end, so I felt really dumb afterwards. Goon face blindness. But in all fairness, I haven't followed her career much and therefore was not exactly familiar with what she looks like now.

Christina Ricci is the 2nd best character in Yellowjackets, so I was very familiar with what she looks like now. Also, watch Yellowjackets, it's a drat fine thriller

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

mystes posted:

It gets better as it goes along but oth if you really don't like it maybe it just isn't for you

Yeah I've watched the first 5 episodes of Andor and I just don't enjoy it, so I am bailing. I can see that it is very competently made and isn't the dumb garbage of Boba Fett, but everything is just so slow and ponderous, and its all in service of a character and story I didn't care much about in the first place (Rogue One). That said, I know I am in the super minority and everyone else loves it, so I am glad people are enjoying it.

On the other end, I finally got around to Reservation Dogs, and wow I just adore it. The specificity of the location and the people is so incredible, and it walks an amazing line between comedy, drama, tragedy and hope. Every one of these kids deserves to be a star, and it's awesome to see some of the veteran Native actors getting a chance to shine. Two thumbs up.

mcbexx posted:

I also watched this, it is popcorn fun but nothing to write home about. Goth Harry Potter. Main actress was good, she did a lot with a very small range to work in, but the star obviously was Thing.

mcbexx posted:

But on the other hand, I only noticed that Christina Ricci was in it when I saw her name pop up in the opening credits of the final episode and I thought she would have a *wink wink* cameo in the end, so I felt really dumb afterwards. Goon face blindness.

This is surprising, since she has such a recognizable face. I thought she did a great job, and it was nice that she got to have a big part in the new show, since she is pretty much completely responsible for the popularity of the character.

Ishamael fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Dec 20, 2022

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

Christina Ricci is the 2nd best character in Yellowjackets, so I was very familiar with what she looks like now. Also, watch Yellowjackets, it's a drat fine thriller

Who is the first?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Reservation Dogs really is excellent. Some of the best episodes of the year.

And yeah to clarify I do like Andor and it is absolutely the best Star Wars show so far I just think the praise has been over-the-top (but probably fair when compared to the other shows)

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Charlotte Richie (amazing)

If you are into Taskmaster, season 11 has a stacked cast, and I liked her a lot in it.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Tehdas posted:

Oh, I can kinda tell season 2 is gonna wind up to being near unwatchable. They’ve already set it up to be bad. Andor end spoilers: Luthen being a Jedi, his stupid “I’ll try spinning” laser wings on his ship, the incredibly hamhanded funeral speech/Boston Massacre scene, all Andor’s buddies getting away in a ship saying “That’s our Andor!”, and you just know they’re gonna use way more of that little red robot.

Season two is gonna be jam-filled with lightsabers, stupid romance plots, and incomprehensible plot developments. Disney ruins second seasons, and this won’t be any different.

Fingers crossed and all that, but the seams were already showing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Robobot posted:

Oh, I can kinda tell season 2 is gonna wind up to being near unwatchable. They’ve already set it up to be bad. Andor end spoilers: Luthen being a Jedi, his stupid “I’ll try spinning” laser wings on his ship, the incredibly hamhanded funeral speech/Boston Massacre scene, all Andor’s buddies getting away in a ship saying “That’s our Andor!”, and you just know they’re gonna use way more of that little red robot.

Season two is gonna be jam-filled with lightsabers, stupid romance plots, and incomprehensible plot developments. Disney ruins second seasons, and this won’t be any different.

Fingers crossed and all that, but the seams were already showing.

Wait Luthen is a Jedi??. I think I missed that.

Also I liked the speech and the whole funeral riot :(