Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
he missed his window because of all those stupid family films he made. should have just been doing 100% action hero poo poo BUT NO AUDIENCES WANT TO SEE THE GAME PLAN AND GRIDIORN GANG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’m torn on The Rock because there’s lots of stories about him being a genuinely decent human being, but at times he also sounds like a bit of an egotistical tool but exclusively about himself.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I can understand it at least, he's been one of the biggest action stars in the world for over 2 decades now, but he definitely got a bit too far out of his wheelhouse here

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Imagine taking the role of Black Adam and actively avoiding getting your rear end kicked by teenagers.

I know him being a tough anti hero is cool, but getting put in his place by Billy Batson is an essential part of putting him on that path.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’m torn on The Rock because there’s lots of stories about him being a genuinely decent human being, but at times he also sounds like a bit of an egotistical tool but exclusively about himself.

The favorite story I heard was from a stuntman working with him on a fight scene for the first time. The stuntman was used to needing to coach actors through things (not in a mean way, different skillsets), Rock comes in day one knowing all of his marks and the basics of how things are scripted to go. "I used to do 30-minute acts in the ring, this is 30 seconds".

"Decent guy with a big ego" seems to sum up the stories I've heard, but I don't exactly have a big collection.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Opopanax posted:

Oh yeah that was the other bizarre thing, doing all that without so much as cameo from Billy, and then apparently turning down doing a cameo in Shazam 2, is just crazy. I mean I guess it kind of worked for Venom, but given how the DCU has been and that Shazam was one of the better properties so far, it definitely comes off as The Rock vastly over estimating his appeal

Honestly for the best, I’d rather not have Rock’s version of Adam anywhere near the Shazam property :)

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The way The Rock was talking about it he was treating Black Adam as his own lovely d and d character and not, you know, an extant property with a history.

Uh yeah Black Adam kicks everyone’s rear end and uh, also every woman he meets wants to gently caress him. He’s like Superman if Superman were better and cooler he cusses and totally murders people because he’s super cool and awesome.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
... Roll a persuasion check. Without advantage.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Jamesman posted:

James Gunn

Snyder Fans

When I first came across that post the first comment was some "honorable sir, could you merely answer my desperate question, is Affleck Batman and Jason Momoa Aquaman still safe?"

They really are watching the pig fly over the dam now.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Black Adam was a bad movie, but it wasn't completely misguided. Starting him off separate from Shazam makes sense, otherwise Shazam just changes the tone of the movie. And it has some nice moments towards the end, "these hands built Khandaq" is a good line.
But it's weird to have folks saying superheroes don't kill years after Superman and Batman each killed Zod and Superman, respectively.
And the whole opening was just completely uninspired. At least black panther has a visually interesting twist to their exposition.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Honestly I probably could have let most of the story stuff go if it didn't look like a bad Transporter movie. I don't know if it's the cameras or a particular kind of cgi or what but it was just so distracting

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Just watched it. Didn't think it was as bad as people react but wasn't good. Messy plot and tonally confused. I'm not against humor in these movies but Rock's attempts at it from Adam were just badly placed. The JSA being some kind of government black ops affiliated agency that like picks out members for a job to "maintain global stability by force if necessary" responding to a criminal organization being overthrown from their military control of a country and being called out by a citizen as not actually giving a gently caress about the country's people was really weird and never went anywhere. That was weird. In the end its last act is a basic super hero finale, which like I'm fine with. That's probably when I was feeling it the most. But its a weird bumpy ride to get there.

Which sounds like a fitting end for the DCEU as we know it. Although I guess we still have Shazam 2, whatever the hell Aquaman 2 ends up being, and the disaster that is Flash to look forward to before a true beginning to the new era. I should probably get around to watching Peacemaker in the new year.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

"Superheroes don't kill!"

"Okay so when are you going to bring in Superman and Batman?"

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I have a hard and fast rule about not consuming any media that Hawkman appears in, and it’s served me well over the years.

You know for all the poo poo Aquaman gets at least he has a very specific situation where he’s unbeatable that’s honestly pretty common, and has cool powers that make him a conceptually neat hero. Dumbass doofus whose superpowers consist of being able to fly, swinging a mace for some reason, and having the most needlessly convoluted backstory of all time gets basically no poo poo despite looking like the world’s biggest rear end in a top hat.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Dec 20, 2022

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/callouswayne/status/1604851277447303168?t=cE63uk88Z21QPewbKgky0A&s=19

https://twitter.com/callouswayne/status/1604928313176297472?t=XFsddLPLmJXR41_MLcOqPg&s=19

https://twitter.com/Sumaira____/status/1604680031841660928?t=bVbn14dlgqHHjhB1MueysQ&s=19

Not Bots just Extremely Normal folks posting Extremely Normal things online

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ireallylikeeggs
Jul 29, 2003

drat. Whoever the gently caress those people are have bad opinions I guess. Better find more of them and share them here so we can read more bad opinions from people on twitter.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

NieR Occomata posted:

I have a hard and fast rule about not consuming any media that Hawkman appears in, and it’s served me well over the years.

You've never watched JL/JLU? Or did you just skip the Hawkman episodes?

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

To be fair the Hawkman episodes of JLU are incredibly skippable so that's not that crazy.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

You've never watched JL/JLU? Or did you just skip the Hawkman episodes?

I skipped the Hawkman episodes and honestly the fact that Hawkgirl was like the infinitely better character of the two really just reinforces my point.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I only know him from his brief stint on the JLI where he was an incredibly annoying ex-cop from Planet Fash with a stick up his arse and everyone found him boring af, even J'onn I think. His missus seemed alright though.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I finished watching Black Adam at the gym today, and was really struck by how much of a throwback it felt like. It being under the New Line Label is kind of ironic because it felt a bit like someone threw Spawn, Surf Ninjas, and Mortal Kombat into a blender. There is a specific pre X-Men genre movie vibe that it is downright oozing with.

It also continued the tradition of DC movie heroes getting really uptight about killing despite "no killing" not being a much of a rule that anyone has ever taken particularly seriously in any of these movies.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Intergang stuff is weird because they're the villains for like 3/4 of the movie until all of a sudden it just gets dropped in favor of the one guy.

Also kind of awkward to have a movie with two heroes who were around in Black Adam times but never tie that together.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

You'll be pleased to hear that Hawkman's convoluted backstory doesn't show up in BA, because he is not explained whatsoever, he's just some rich dude with wings who knows (works for?) Waller and knows some other heroes

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
And that is why DC's movies failed. People want convoluted backstories

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

CelticPredator posted:

I'm just salty because I was friends with a lot of them and Gunn's my favorite director and I feel hurt by a lot of their comments because they're well past "I hate his work"
Catching up and the revisionism I'm seeing from people is some extreme childish bullshit

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I'm a James Gunn fan, but I gotta tell you his addiction to Twitter makes him seem like a real jerkoff.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edit: Nevermind.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Another reason why a lot of this is dumb is because people are making their minds up and drawing battle lines over films that not only have not been released, but can't even be said to exist in any form. I think it's dumb to pre-judge films based on the trailer, but this is another level.

It's just the drama that's exciting isn't it. People watching the machinations at WB like they do Eastenders.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

You could argue that the best live action version of Hawkman is in Whoops Apocalypse the 1982 tv-series.
https://youtu.be/Nh1zR7d6tYU?t=605

I'd be more interested in James Gunn taking over the DCEU if daddy issues stopped being a fundamental issue for main characters in his superhero stuff.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

quantumfoam posted:

I'd be more interested in James Gunn taking over the DCEU if daddy issues stopped being a fundamental issue for main characters in his superhero stuff.

New Superman movie has Mr. Oz as the villain, Jon Kent dies at the end going “he may have been your father, boy, but he wasn’t your Pa”

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

The JSA being some kind of government black ops affiliated agency that like picks out members for a job to "maintain global stability by force if necessary" responding to a criminal organization being overthrown from their military control of a country and being called out by a citizen as not actually giving a gently caress about the country's people was really weird and never went anywhere. That was weird. In the end its last act is a basic super hero finale, which like I'm fine with. That's probably when I was feeling it the most. But its a weird bumpy ride to get there.

This right here should have been the movie. Ditch the crown and cgi devil, the whole movie is a last ditch effort by the khandaq resistance to take back their country because the western powers have ignored their pleas for help. Their desperate move is to resurrect back Adam, a mythical figure most don't believe ever existed.

That's your first act. Second act is Adam seeing what's happened to khandaq, fighting intergang and seeing how this upsets the global status quo, the jsa coming in, not to help khandaq, but to stop adam.

Third act is the resistance freeing Adam from the jsa before they can transport him to waller's black site prison and we get the good speech of "why are you stopping us from liberating our country". Film ends with khandaq free but the western world aligned against khandaq and Adam, falsely portraying Adam as a warlord who who overthrew the rightful government.

That sets him up an antagonist to other heroes, but still a "good guy" even if he does electrocute people often.

Also ditch the annoying kid, focus on the mom as resistance leader.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
If anyone is serious about reading an actually great Hawkman story that actually depicts the character well and will actually make you like him, actually, I really recommend the 2018 Hawkman series by Robert Venditti, the premise of the character being that he's basically a scholarly warrior who's been reincarnated across space and time, all over the universe, and his reincarnations may not happen in a straight chronological line, meaning that he's may have had "past" lives that actually lived in the future, and on different planets and so forth.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

quantumfoam posted:

Hey it worked for Spielberg

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Here’s a better topic, how many can you identify?

https://twitter.com/spiderverse/status/1605201355634638848?s=46&t=LGuro8Q9kxpEgqiN1sFTLQ

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Apparently the full version of the poster is a little wider and has the Spectacular version in it, which rules

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Interesting to see Ben all front and center like that

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
There he is. On the bottom right. Looking spectacular spidey. :unsmith:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Arist posted:

Apparently the full version of the poster is a little wider and has the Spectacular version in it, which rules

not good quality but

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1605228059950555139?t=udmcpV_wxS4IqRWslUZVrQ&s=19

efb

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Where is Silk

Where is Silk

WHERE IS SILK

WHERE. IS. SILK.

WHERE IS SILK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Soonmot posted:

This right here should have been the movie. Ditch the crown and cgi devil, the whole movie is a last ditch effort by the khandaq resistance to take back their country because the western powers have ignored their pleas for help. Their desperate move is to resurrect back Adam, a mythical figure most don't believe ever existed.

That's your first act. Second act is Adam seeing what's happened to khandaq, fighting intergang and seeing how this upsets the global status quo, the jsa coming in, not to help khandaq, but to stop adam.

Third act is the resistance freeing Adam from the jsa before they can transport him to waller's black site prison and we get the good speech of "why are you stopping us from liberating our country". Film ends with khandaq free but the western world aligned against khandaq and Adam, falsely portraying Adam as a warlord who who overthrew the rightful government.

That sets him up an antagonist to other heroes, but still a "good guy" even if he does electrocute people often.

Also ditch the annoying kid, focus on the mom as resistance leader.

Yeah there’s some interesting moments of Isis calling the JSA out or Adam stopping them from intervening in her helping her kid saying “not your son, not your country”. But I dunno. The film does feel like it ever figures out what it wants to do with that. We just get a general super hero resolution where the JSA accept Adam as a hero in his own right. But like no one ever addresses whether the JSA are heroes or villains. So why even go that curious angle with them?

Since the film was in development forever it almost feels like there was some script that was way more political and subversive and that just zombies in from it. Because that she’s didn’t seem like a Geoff Johns JSA to me.