Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Tamba posted:

:actually: the poll did not say that he would step down immediately, so he's not lying, as long as he steps down sometime before Twitter stops existing.
Somewhat similar to the Tesla autopilot turning off just before the fiery crash...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ironically the Saudi's said the exact same thing to Elon when insisting he come to Qatar.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

He might just get round it with some Simon Says bullshit, "I didn't say I would abide by the outcome of the poll this time". This method has the added advantage of being extremely lame, which increases the probablity of him doing it.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Robo Reagan posted:

you should all feel bad

"No."

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

it's a 2019 piece which criticizes billionaires for trying to play the victim

quote:

Billionaires have everything, but not yet quite everything. Possibly the one thing they don’t have is victim status. So they want that. And they’re working on it.

Billionaires cannot fathom why, although some people idolize them, not everyone does. This is nearly as intolerable as it is perplexing. What is this CRITICISM all of a sudden? How can being the obvious winner in our new winner-take-all game not inspire universal admiration from all the losers? Don’t they see how badly they were beaten? So where’s the love? There simply must be a way for a billionaire’s money to buy him love. Or at least peace and quiet!

It was a straightforward deal. Let the rich become richer and everybody would become richer. Whose fault is it that it didn’t quite work out that way? Don’t people see that was really part of the deal? The unwritten part! The unwritten part said, “It’s every person for themselves.” It goes on to say, “Be careful whom you trust to make this kind of deal with.” Don’t forget how Mark Zuckerberg once characterized people who trusted him.

But it’s too late now. Or is it? It seems that some people who are not billionaires still think they may have something to say about how society apportions benefits. Some even have the crazy idea that a billion dollars is more than anybody possibly needs, and is ipso facto a bad thing. BAD thing! What is going on here?

The only reasonable response is for billionaires to redefine billionaires as the real victims. Even calling them billionaires should be considered a slur. Howard Schultz thinks so. He thinks that billionaires should be called “people of means.” Because in the end, he’s a billionaire and you’re not, and the end justifies the man of means.

If money can’t buy a billionaire love, it can certainly at least buy him power. So it follows that Schultz thinks that having billions means he is qualified to run for president. He is so qualified that it doesn’t even matter that his presence in the race makes it more likely that President Trump will get reelected. Now, mind you, Schultz says that he doesn’t like Trump. But like Trump or don’t like him, you have to admit that he is a billionaire. Maybe. He SAYS so! Trust him!

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

Robo Reagan posted:

you should all feel bad

brb reposting this in the "Whats the most dystopian thing about the US currently?" thread

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Beat me to it, but I'll still go ahead and paste the link: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/02/11/is-criticizing-billionaires-new-wearing-blackface/

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

I said come in! posted:

Please don't post pictures of me, thank you.
If that's you then...

FirstnameLastname posted:

that guys badass

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

tank's

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

1000 Sweaty Rikers posted:

brb reposting this in the "Whats the most dystopian thing about the US currently?" thread

Yeah, the fact that nobody can be assed to read anything past the head line is pretty dystopian.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

Sorry, I know this was pages ago but I can't let this slide without sharing a classic tweet

https://twitter.com/ryxnf/status/1029732714482728960?t=UfL1OOWLa1Fhk82--upmFw&s=19

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

so a really dumb piece of clickbait

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Robo Reagan posted:

you should all feel bad

Betteridge's Law still holding

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Dabir posted:

Betteridge's Law still holding

Haha, I didn't know that the 'if it has a question mark in the headline the answer is always no' had been defined into a law, thanks for educating me :eng101:

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Robo Reagan posted:

you should all feel bad

rly makes u thimk

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Butterwagon posted:

Why is Elon replying to the FTX shilling Pedo Island visitor?

Jason was in Elon's ear prior to the purchase, and Elon offered him a position as a Strategic Advisor.

I'm not sure if this got posted, but someone took the text messages that came out in the court case and made them easily readable so it's like looking through his phone:

https://jusgu.github.io/elon-musks-texts/

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

At least read it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/02/11/is-criticizing-billionaires-new-wearing-blackface/

Toles is all right.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Ror posted:

Welcome to the World of Assassination (coordinates)

47, several hours ago online services tracking the target's private jet went dark across the world. For all practical purposes, Mr Musk has become a ghost in the system

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Elviscat posted:

I like comparing 'ol Musky with Bezos, they're both evil incarnate billionaires, but Bezos just chills out at his giant ranch, working out with his personal trainer, and watching his cock rocket launches. He's on the BoD for his companies but is essentially retired. His social media team takes care of all his socials.

But baby boy Musk can't put his goddamn phone down, and is furiously replying to no name dupshits on the internet and flying to Qatar because he lost literally all his liquid money, instead of living a life of luxury few could imagine.

Bezos looks like he's got a similar hairline to Musk but just said fuckit and shaved it off rather than desperately trying to regrow every follicle.

Musk just seems so drat insecure about everything, maybe because even as a billionaire he realises he's failed upwards all his life and never built anything of any worth himself.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Elon would be run out of BYOB lmao

You say this like he wasn't already at some point :lol:

grobbo
May 29, 2014
There is one aspect here that I keep dwelling on, and it's that the Great Inventor, on a tide of pronouncements about bringing power to the people, has failed at everything else but has successfully and quickly innovated (or at least popularised worldwide) a couple of extra new catchphrases for the alt-right to use when they need to muddy the waters of truth, dismiss the voices of their opposition, call for violence while retaining plausible deniability, and control the terms of debate.

Just like 'fake news' and 'critical race theory', these catchphrases are something most people will poke fun at because they're absurd, but they'll be picked up by the audience that finds them politically useful and repeated as gospel until the mainstream media are essentially incapable of wading through it to get to the truth. "I'm not calling for violence against *people*, I'm just saying we need to kill off the woke mind virus that's infecting our schools." "I didn't lose; the vote was flooded with bots, we need to get Musk in to root them out just like he did on Twitter."

And because Musk is very online and always desperately grasping for ways to insult his enemies, he's going to keep rapidly producing these attack lines and accusations that his buddies will seize upon and propagate with monstrous cynicism and a desire to own the libs, etc. So there'll be more of this before it ends.

But the thing is, Musk has *also* publicly said that he sometimes thinks he's living in a simulation, which means there's a small but genuine chance he thinks about this stuff literally rather than cynically and sometimes lies awake imagining he's engaged in a war against the Liberal NPCs.

I guess what I'm saying is that maybe this all ends in 30 years' time with a wizened Musk barricaded in his Martian mansion, clasping X-1000, his twenty-eighth heir, close to his chest, whispering, "Their screams don't need to frighten you, boy. Those aren't real colonists suffocating out there. They're only bots. I know it all sounds so real, but please remember, they're only bots-"

except that he's never going to Mars

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tree Bucket posted:

it is incredibly stupid. They've greened up Tharsis, which sticks out further into space than the Himalayas, and the north pole region, which makes earth's polar regions look temperate by comparison.
"Thinking we can terraform mars" and "knowing anything about mars" are mutually exclusive.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
I'm going with "scabby little hairyback"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

PhazonLink posted:

also is there a source of his mars teraform banner pic?

having such a large super continent probably wouldnt be that green, but whatever im not an ironrickman.

Pretty sure he just got it from wikipedia of course

Tree Bucket posted:

it is incredibly stupid. They've greened up Tharsis, which sticks out further into space than the Himalayas, and the north pole region, which makes earth's polar regions look temperate by comparison.

Hmm, I'm not actually sure, the lower gravity means the atmosphere would be incredibly tall. In a magical hypothetical where you've dumped so much air on it somehow that you can have earth pressure at ground level and have a greenhouse going that can keep it at decent temperatures, the resultant necessary height of the atmosphere might mean you'd still have decent conditions on tharsis, and retaining all that heat with greenhousing might mean the poles would stay all right. But I haven't done any calculations and that would require the magic of us being able to pull that atmosphere and greenhouse effect out of our rear end.

anyway, realistically if we turn the surface of mars green it's because we've covered it in bioengineered lichen or algae to produce the gassing we need or something. well, I say realistically, even that's not realistic. Most realistic 'terraforming' (for the far far future) is we might be able to throw enough poo poo at it to pump surface pressure/temperature to the point where you can wear a scuba breathing gear and heavy jackets instead of a full on environmental suit.

Not that it really matters, there's not really any practical proposals for defeating the radiation problem, any large mars bases will be underground, probably in lava tubes, so we'll just seal them up.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Dec 20, 2022

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Splicer posted:

"Thinking we can terraform mars" and "knowing anything about mars" are mutually exclusive.

Make that "thinking we can terraform any planet" and "knowing anything about science, engineering, scale, and industrial processes".

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

it's been 24 hours of him having a sulk

lmao

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
Sorry to keep on the body-shaming derail.

It’s great that a whole bunch of goons don’t seem to have younger people in their lives with body dysmorphia/eating disorders. That poo poo is hard to watch, and presumably much harder to live through. And not all young people easily make the connection “They are making fun of Elon’s appearance because he is an awful person”. Many will think “He must be an awful person because of his appearance”. From there it’s not hard to jump to “I must be an awful person because of my appearance”.

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Under most circumstances (99%) yes body shaming is bad and it will be punished

Elon Musk has repeatedly denigrated trans people and courted the alt right. He can eat poo poo for all I care. It's in the same vein to me as saying "guillotine the rich". Go hog wild on him imo

So pile on him for his transphobia or alt-right worldview instead?

“Guillotine the rich” teaches kids that it is wrong to be absurdly wealthy, that there is no way to ethically be a billionaire. That is a good lesson to teach. It’s not in the same vein as teaching the lesson that it’s shameful to be pale, bald, or overweight.

Finally, in terms of its practical impact in the world: I don’t necessarily think body-shaming shitposts dunking on Elon are that troubling here, on a forum where I would be shocked if anyone was under 25, in a thread that has thoroughly catalogued the context of all the awful things we really despise Elon for. But I do find it a problem when stuff like this is on more mainstream social media like Twitter and TikTok.

Anyway I’ll be quiet on the topic now but it comes from a place of seeing a young loved one suffer with anorexia and only getting much better after they deactivated all their social media accounts.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Only those with a checkmark can vote
Only those who voted No can get a checkmark

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
how those results goin? abided by?

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Harald posted:

how those results goin? abided by?

Concerning.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Mx. posted:

it's been 24 hours of him having a sulk

lmao

Working hardcore! Thank you!

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
Help me wade through the "logic" Elon would have to follow to be able to laugh at that Babylon Bee post.

If Batman asks the asylum inmates if he should step down that makes him a fool for following the advice of fools, right? So is Elon laughing at himself here, because Twitter users are fools? Has he retroactively decided that the poll he posted about stepping down was always a joke, so that's what's funny? What about all of those earlier will-of-the-people-latin-bullshit polls, were they jokes as well? What exactly is he pretending to find funny here? Is it just "Haha, that makes me Batman" that amuses him?

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Offler posted:

Help me wade through the "logic" Elon would have to follow to be able to laugh at that Babylon Bee post.

If Batman asks the asylum inmates if he should step down that makes him a fool for following the advice of fools, right? So is Elon laughing at himself here, because Twitter users are fools? Has he retroactively decided that the poll he posted about stepping down was always a joke, so that's what's funny? What about all of those earlier will-of-the-people-latin-bullshit polls, were they jokes as well? What exactly is he pretending to find funny here? Is it just "Haha, that makes me Batman" that amuses him?

1. Conservatives are bad at making jokes.
2. But it doesn't matter because their laughter is not a signifier of humor, but of a moral alignment.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

They laugh because they find it funny to insinuate normal people as being insane, op

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
Couldn't they just filter the results of the original poll to show only users that bought twitter blue? He wouldn't even need to do another poll. pretty sure that data is available to them, at least internally.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If you think young trans kids are not mocking the ever living gently caress out of the Musk marshmallow man pictures then I got some news for you about how bitchy the unofficial mermaids discord can be.

It’s all playing video games while watching documentaries about crypto and other financial scams, because oddly enough British trans youth actively avoid any platforms where their existence is up for discussion.

Jack-in-the-Bach
Oct 15, 2005

Elon Musk and Donald Trump are fat and they rub their giant bellies together in their free time

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
I kinda hope that he does just weasel his way out of the results with something arbitrary and stupid so he can cheapen his word even further. Y'know, something more for advertisers and everyone valuing Tesla stock to absolutely love.

Big Butt Skinner
Apr 16, 2005

Blueprints of the dummy...
Notarized photos of you making the dummy...
And an alternate wording for the banner: "Buttzilla."

Offler posted:

He is the good guy, and he should not take into account the opinions of bad/insane people (the users of the website that he chose to spend $44 billion to own)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

They laugh because they find it funny to insinuate normal people as being insane, op

I guess, which means that Elon is retroactively saying "I polled some insane people if Jordan Peterson should get his account back and they said yes, so I did, in Latin."