Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

confirmed by solidus snake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

OctaMurk posted:

the germans should made g11

Lol at the idea of putting a bayonet on something that has 80% parts commonality with a high end swiss chronograph

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

mlmp08 posted:

Hopefully no one. It's a capability nations maintain for both political reasons (various countries were not comfortable back in the Cold War with the idea that central or western Europe could become a nuclear wasteland and then the US might just say "drat, that sucks for all of you guys over there..."). But maintaining tactical nukes is a capability that Russia, various European powers, the US all maintain. It's been mentioned numerous times by Russia since this conflict kicked off, though that rhetoric has cooled off lately.

Even if you're going back to conventional usage (the more likely use-case for any German plane), a strike fighter's job is to effectively hit its assigned target. "Hauling bombs" through the air is the job of a transport aircraft, who presumably has a lot less in the way of enemy air defenses to deal with.

I don't see it going anywhere as a policy in NATO, because the NATO and the USSR originally allowed nuclear sharing of this type without it violating the NPT, and Russia maintains that tactical nuclear weapons, delivered by things like missiles and airplanes, are an essential part of its military structure. So as long as NATO and Russia are still around and the NPT survives, I imagine we'll continue to have the handful of nuclear-sharing nations having nuke-certified tactical fighters.

It would probably be easy mechanically(?), but there may be policy issues. Then there's the problem that the F-15EX costs more than the F-35A, at flyaway cost. Not sure how cost per flight hour will work out over time.

The F-15E had carry nuclear bombs and using are nukes are currently being tested on the F-15EX...so that isn't right at all. I don't know where you are getting this from. Also, it is going to be years before the Germans get their F-35s.

Also, if you are trying to make a argument about the relatively "lack of expense" of the F-35 it is going to be a hard one because we are already know about the supply issues it has been having: at very least you need the aircraft to fly. I have also seen noticably higher estimates on costs per flight hour much less every other issue the program has.

The job of a fighter-bomber is also to have enough bombs to actually do damage to a target it "hauls" bombs to a target and then guess what? It drops them.

Personally, I am okay with the Germans further limiting their offensive capabilities in the air along with the rapid decline in the Heer. I think demilitarization of Europe has been a while in coming and it seems like the Poles may be claiming to be a stick in the mud but in all honesty their economy probably isn't going to be able to take a real arms build up for long.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I'd simply march on Vladivostok.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I think Europe should return to a catapult and halberd based military since it seems like the only type they can competently operate in a modern environment without supply and maintenance issues.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
I regret to inform you that with energy prices as they are we are unable to produce sufficient metal for halberds.

Maybe we can do spears?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

DancingShade posted:

I think Europe should return to a catapult and halberd based military since it seems like the only type they can competently operate in a modern environment without supply and maintenance issues.

shameful pike-and-shot erasure, this

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

DancingShade posted:

Looking forward to the new generation of halberds being issued to the British military that cost £60k each, breakdown outside of a narrowly defined temperature range and only work when they're connected to the internet.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Incidentally, just been looking at where the British army gets its artillery shells from and they appear to be manufactured at a single, not very big factory on the edge of Newcastle. Can't imagine there's much scope for ramping up production there lol.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
uk lives on an island they don't need artillery they need spitfires

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Truga posted:

uk lives on an island they don't need artillery they need spitfires

DeHavilland Mosquitoes are made of wood, which grows on trees

speng31b
May 8, 2010

https://twitter.com/felix_light/status/1605171992469962752

Russia keeps blowing up its own pipeline.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

DeHavilland Mosquitoes are made of wood, which grows on trees

UK doesn't have any wood they cut down all their forests to make slave ships

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Pistol_Pete posted:

Incidentally, just been looking at where the British army gets its artillery shells from and they appear to be manufactured at a single, not very big factory on the edge of Newcastle. Can't imagine there's much scope for ramping up production there lol.

i'm surprised they're made domestically and not just imported at great expense tbh

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I was a bit surprised to see that it's right next to a residential area: you'd think they'd at least stick a facility like that in a big empty field somewhere.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

DancingShade posted:

return to tradition, bring back teutonic knights

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
he'll get there some day

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/leonidragozin/status/1605167140641951744?s=20&t=vUF2EOV336l_IZf7KOIVGw

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pistol_Pete posted:

I was a bit surprised to see that it's right next to a residential area: you'd think they'd at least stick a facility like that in a big empty field somewhere.

britain is actively trying to murder their poors though

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
here we go again

https://twitter.com/business/status/1605188222807691265?s=20&t=vUF2EOV336l_IZf7KOIVGw

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Love this subplot

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

smartest polack

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

can't believe the Russians bombed their own pipeline again

speng31b
May 8, 2010

genericnick posted:

Love this subplot

it's extremely funny

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Ardennes posted:

The F-15E had carry nuclear bombs and using are nukes are currently being tested on the F-15EX...so that isn't right at all. I don't know where you are getting this from. Also, it is going to be years before the Germans get their F-35s.

Also, if you are trying to make a argument about the relatively "lack of expense" of the F-35 it is going to be a hard one because we are already know about the supply issues it has been having: at very least you need the aircraft to fly. I have also seen noticably higher estimates on costs per flight hour much less every other issue the program has.

The job of a fighter-bomber is also to have enough bombs to actually do damage to a target it "hauls" bombs to a target and then guess what? It drops them.

Personally, I am okay with the Germans further limiting their offensive capabilities in the air along with the rapid decline in the Heer. I think demilitarization of Europe has been a while in coming and it seems like the Poles may be claiming to be a stick in the mud but in all honesty their economy probably isn't going to be able to take a real arms build up for long.

The F-35 seem to be a tradeoff for strike capability where you get a better shot at penetrating the enemy air space to drop your bombs for lighter bomb load. What I wonder is, since most countries seem to be getting less F-35 than they had whatever their previous planes was, how do they expect to keep the list of task to be done by their planes completed? Smaller weapon load would probably mean more flights to do the same task list but there would also be less total planes available. Is the F-35 supposed to be that much more of a workhorse?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

lmao again

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/1604771230816550913?s=20&t=sYQf9eY6rpMxkGJyJZivLw

omg lmao the EU cannot catch a break with gas

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

supersnowman posted:

The F-35 seem to be a tradeoff for strike capability where you get a better shot at penetrating the enemy air space to drop your bombs for lighter bomb load. What I wonder is, since most countries seem to be getting less F-35 than they had whatever their previous planes was, how do they expect to keep the list of task to be done by their planes completed? Smaller weapon load would probably mean more flights to do the same task list but there would also be less total planes available. Is the F-35 supposed to be that much more of a workhorse?

the f-35 is mainly supposed to make a lot of money for lockheed martin, hth

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

supersnowman posted:

they are not supposed to be used

yes sometimes the Hegemon decides to just wreck a place and you might need to use like 10 planes and run out of bombs in a week but eh, the primary purpose is to prop up the American job market and economy. What's in it for the EU? Um well... uh... ??

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Lukashenko always looks like he's clasping his hands together when he's shaking someone else's hand. It's a weird optical illusion

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

supersnowman posted:

I think the idea originally was that you would have a stealth strike fighter go in (similar perhaps to the 1991 Gulf War) and take out a relatively small number of highly strategic targets and then follow in with more conventional aircraft to do the heavy lifting. This is fine, but you probably should only have a relatively small number of aircraft for this role.

The program then became a monster where nearly everything became the F-35 even when inappropriate. Admittedly, there is some push back in this even in the US military itself, the US Navy is desperately trying to limit the F-35s it is stuck with, but clearly the monster can not be sated.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
https://twitter.com/azgeopolitics/status/1605177871454044163?s=61&t=zuYWXnm5MEGe1TB3vzi8Uw

Is russia really stupid enough to expect an attack from belarus to work out a second time

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

https://twitter.com/azgeopolitics/status/1605177871454044163?s=61&t=zuYWXnm5MEGe1TB3vzi8Uw

Is russia really stupid enough to expect an attack from belarus to work out a second time

yes? maybe? no? probably not. let history show that one of these was the right answer

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Does Ukraine have the manpower to defend the border?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, you should leave a giant minimally defended border of your enemy alone.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Is saying "all Nazis are bad and should die" still banned by order of the other threads or

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Orange Devil posted:

Does Ukraine have the manpower to defend the border?

Ukraine said it's mined/barricaded/bridges blown/heavily defended enough so who knows

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
blown bridges and minefields can slow down an advance, but you still need infantry to actually stop one

after all i don't think russia has a lack of demining and bridge building equipment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Futanari Damacy posted:

Is saying "all Nazis are bad and should die" still banned by order of the other threads or
That would be advocating for actual genocide in Ukraine so I don’t think it would be ok.