Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
He has infinite money and access to resources people would murder for to help deal/cope/heal but instead he spends 44,000,000,000 dollars on some bird website he was already posting on for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Elukka posted:

How does that work with the mega-loan and the billion in yearly loan interest that's apparently tied to Twitter, not Musk? Clearly Twitter is not going to make a billion a year so simplistically it just seems like a dead company walking and nobody would possibly want to buy that, but I don't know how this works and I'm guessing there might be some financial trickery that would be done.

Musk can pump more money in, it's not really financial trickery. He's apparently tried (and failed) to get some new investors onboard but there's likely nothing really stopping him from lending his own money to Twitter or issuing shares to himself to get more cash into the company. I suspect those Tesla shares he's been selling recently are partly to get his hands on some cash to feed into Twitter.

In the event the company goes bankrupt any unsecured creditors would lose their investment and the company would be sold to the highest bidder, probably for considerably less than the $44 billion paid for it. Any cash raised in the sale would go to any secured creditors and shareholders. If it gets sold without going bankrupt the creditors might agree to take a haircut on their loans in order to get a few cents in the dollar back rather than nothing at all should it end up getting liquidated.

It certainly wouldn't be worthless even if it did get run into the ground. Before Musk got his hands on it there was something like $5 billion in revenue yearly and from memory it was trending upwards. The issue was the expenditure so it only made a profit twice in it's lifetime. But even an unprofitable company that can potentially bring in $5 billion or so in revenue is bound to have people interested in buying it in the expectation of turning it around - just not for anything close to $44 billion.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
One of the things I just thought about is if Musk does go through with this stupid "only Twitter blue subs can vote in polls" the side effect of this is it's gonna reveal the hilariously low amount of signups

Congratulations, you went from a 50 million vote poll to like a 1000 vote one but sure everyone wants a piece of the Twitter blue pie

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
potential investors are gonna love to see the drop-off in votes from his first poll to a twitter blue only poll

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It turns out there's a lot of bad stuff on the internet but there's some good stuff too, like all the cool SA posters

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Seth Pecksniff posted:

One of the things I just thought about is if Musk does go through with this stupid "only Twitter blue subs can vote in polls" the side effect of this is it's gonna reveal the hilariously low amount of signups

Congratulations, you went from a 50 million vote poll to like a 1000 vote one but sure everyone wants a piece of the Twitter blue pie

lol

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Harald posted:

It turns out there's a lot of bad stuff on the internet but there's some good stuff too, like all the cool SA posters

We are garbage as well unfortunately

E: 🤣

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

gay picnic defence posted:

I legit thought the poll was his way of giving himself an out, just say "oh well the people have spoken" and walk away leaving any one of the 7.837 billion or so people on the planet more competent than he is in charge of it.

But his reaction since the poll closed shows that is clearly not the case. He thought it was a safe bet, that he'd romp it in and be able to claim some legitimacy from it. But it turns out his platform hates him, people boo and jeer him at public events, the share price that inflates his networth is tanking, it's all turning to poo poo for him. All he can do is like posts from random chuds, be a loser reply guy and it's loving great.

Musk was living in a bubble where everyone he interacted with worshipped him and virtually everyone else was only vaguely aware of his existence ("the rich tech guy with the car company, right?"). For some weird reason, making yourself the center of attention on a social media site means that the bubble isn't really there any more and Musk has spent the past two months telling everyone that he's an rear end in a top hat idiot who got his reputation through self-promotion rather than actually being the supergenius he sells himself as. And now he doesn't know what to do because all of the guardrails that kept him from loving everything up are gone and everyone is mad at him for loving everything up.

I was hoping that he would actually quit after the poll (for whatever little that means when he still owns the company) because it would have been hilarious. I was expecting him to post through it after he lost the poll and just gently caress things up even more while not actually going through with quitting. I kind of hope his rigged poll is up soon but it doesn't work right and everyone can still vote anyway and he loses again.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Dude is so white he gets a sunburn looking in the mirror

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Dream timeline:
Everyone who voted quit gets banned
Everyone who voted stay gets gifted Blue
New poll, only Blues can vote
Gets told to gently caress off again

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

TACD posted:

Dream timeline:

- ???
- Twitter finally profitable

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round

Convex posted:

Elon: Isolation

isolati-elon

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Seth Pecksniff posted:

He's going to hide the total number of votes
🤣

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

TACD posted:

Dream timeline:

january 2023: twitter announces the end of :eightbux: checkmarks, "an outdated symptom of liberal mind rot". instead, qualifying accounts will display a 🤣 checkmark, with all other accounts displaying a 🤲🏿. discussion between accounts will be strictly segregated and voting rights restricted to landownersverified users only

Convex fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Dec 20, 2022

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
dude look like he swallowed a bunch of expanding foam

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, the fact that nobody can be assed to read anything past the head line is pretty dystopian.

Hm yeah real dystopian how nobody reads past the first headline anymore:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
ahahaha TSLA is eating so much poo poo it's great

even though you can lose infinite money I wish I shorted that thing

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Alan Smithee posted:

:tif:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

explosivo posted:

Hm yeah real dystopian how nobody reads past the first headline anymore:

aside from blurred pictures, disabling JS on WaPO generally improves the reading experience

As I recall, we had newspapers growing up that my father and mother would often read, and we'd get them by going to a store and spending money on them. Yes print media is a dumpster fire and the online transition has been brutal and resulted in a disproportionate loss of editors compared to writers, further degrading quality. At the same time, companies which cannot find a way to stay profitable die in capitalist hells, and as far as I can tell the sub models for the NYT and WaPO have been at least somewhat successful in propping up their incomes*. And, as I just pointed out, if you don't want to pay for the content you don't need to.

Think of blocking JS like going to the library to read the paper (which you can also still do). It's less convenient than paying, and also free.

* I am definitely not stanning for the Times profit model: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/07/business/media/new-york-times-union-walkout.html

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Dec 20, 2022

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Lol TSLA premarket

Interesting
🤣

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Tesla went up slightly because thought Musk was stepping down from twitter. Instead he went with the rather brilliant strategy of just not making a decision and not even acknowledging it.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

"when a headline asks a (moronic, class-war-drum-beating) question, the answer is always no (this isn't something worth giving brain power to"

for those too lazy to block JS

quote:

Billionaires have everything, but not yet quite everything. Possibly the one thing they don’t have is victim status. So they want that. And they’re working on it.

Billionaires cannot fathom why, although some people idolize them, not everyone does. This is nearly as intolerable as it is perplexing. What is this CRITICISM all of a sudden? How can being the obvious winner in our new winner-take-all game not inspire universal admiration from all the losers? Don’t they see how badly they were beaten? So where’s the love? There simply must be a way for a billionaire’s money to buy him love. Or at least peace and quiet!

It was a straightforward deal. Let the rich become richer and everybody would become richer. Whose fault is it that it didn’t quite work out that way? Don’t people see that was really part of the deal? The unwritten part! The unwritten part said, “It’s every person for themselves.” It goes on to say, “Be careful whom you trust to make this kind of deal with.” Don’t forget how Mark Zuckerberg once characterized people who trusted him.

But it’s too late now. Or is it? It seems that some people who are not billionaires still think they may have something to say about how society apportions benefits. Some even have the crazy idea that a billion dollars is more than anybody possibly needs, and is ipso facto a bad thing. BAD thing! What is going on here?

The only reasonable response is for billionaires to redefine billionaires as the real victims. Even calling them billionaires should be considered a slur. Howard Schultz thinks so. He thinks that billionaires should be called “people of means.” Because in the end, he’s a billionaire and you’re not, and the end justifies the man of means.

If money can’t buy a billionaire love, it can certainly at least buy him power. So it follows that Schultz thinks that having billions means he is qualified to run for president. He is so qualified that it doesn’t even matter that his presence in the race makes it more likely that President Trump will get reelected. Now, mind you, Schultz says that he doesn’t like Trump. But like Trump or don’t like him, you have to admit that he is a billionaire. Maybe. He SAYS so! Trust him!

It's a dumbass inflammatory headline that is undermined by the text of the article, but, no one reads articles anymore, I am told.

Title should have been "More signs the billionaire 'class' is out of touch with normal humans and getting more so by the day" and then we'd all just be like :hmmyes: without bothering with this derail.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Alan Smithee posted:

if it can't get back and hold above $150 remains a short play down to next support level.

Anyone who bought and held $TSLA in the past year 2 years has lost money. Meanwhile the CEO is obsessing and preoccupied over his latest $44 billion toy.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Convex posted:

Elon: Isolation

This time, its us in the locker, waiting for him to clunk away.

tagline:
"In spacex no-one can stand your tweets."

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Binary Logic posted:

if it can't get back and hold above $150 remains a short play down to next support level.

Anyone who bought and held $TSLA in the past year 2 years has lost money. Meanwhile the CEO is obsessing and preoccupied over his latest $44 billion toy.

if i hadn't burned my fun money for the duration on synths i'd be wasting some trying to short this a bit.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

https://twitter.com/ImACultHero/status/1605115541861138432

digital penitence fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Dec 20, 2022

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I never saw Wolf of Wall Street but from context I assumed the "I'm not leavin" scene is about a character who really needed to leave at that exact moment because the party was definitely over, but he couldn't accept it and because he didn't leave, things got way worse.

Somebody tell me if my assumption is correct because I want to be properly calibrated for when he posts the gif.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Cabbages and Kings posted:

"when a headline asks a (moronic, class-war-drum-beating) question, the answer is always no (this isn't something worth giving brain power to"

for those too lazy to block JS

It's a dumbass inflammatory headline that is undermined by the text of the article, but, no one reads articles anymore, I am told.

Title should have been "More signs the billionaire 'class' is out of touch with normal humans and getting more so by the day" and then we'd all just be like :hmmyes: without bothering with this derail.

Don't editors just slap whatever headline on to the article that they think will get the most hate shares, even if it totally undermines the article?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
If you voted him to quit twitter why would you like the tweet

Gubbinal Girl
Apr 11, 2022

MJeff posted:

I never saw Wolf of Wall Street but from context I assumed the "I'm not leavin" scene is about a character who really needed to leave at that exact moment because the party was definitely over, but he couldn't accept it and because he didn't leave, things got way worse.

Somebody tell me if my assumption is correct because I want to be properly calibrated for when he posts the gif.

If it's the scene I'm thinking of it's after he was already in legal trouble and told that if he didn't quit he'd go to prison

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

gay picnic defence posted:

It certainly wouldn't be worthless even if it did get run into the ground. Before Musk got his hands on it there was something like $5 billion in revenue yearly and from memory it was trending upwards. The issue was the expenditure so it only made a profit twice in it's lifetime. But even an unprofitable company that can potentially bring in $5 billion or so in revenue is bound to have people interested in buying it in the expectation of turning it around - just not for anything close to $44 billion.
Twitter is currently so gutted as an organization and as a network of people you want to advertise to that it'll be a hell of a turnaround. It took 15 years to build Twitter to what it was at the start of October, and it may take nearly that long to wash out the stain and rebuild trust by both its potential users and the advertisers. Even if you pair back all the pie-in-the-sky projects, there were apparently a lot of fixed costs to running a network of Twitter's size; I'll have to dig up the article but it as reported that with all the staff cuts Musk achieved savings of like 15% of Twitter's expenses. Fifteen percent! Meanwhile the advertisers are fleeing and there's no one left to lure them back.

All these projections are like clocking a car just as it runs off the track and hits a wall. Yes, those trends were great. No, it's sort of meaningless now until you can do a full damage assessment. And it may well be a complete write off after an independent analysis looks at everything.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

I legit thought Elon made that poll because he had a new CEO and wanted to save face knowing he'd lose.

Turns out he's just mega stupid. I should have known.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

:lol: I thought he was getting told off by his investors.

Turns out he's just dumb as gently caress and so am I

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

Every time I see something like this, I recall a moment earlier this year where my future sister-in-law was excitedly telling my fiancee how her husband finally convinced her to buy Tesla stock and just can't help but wince just a little. Hope they cashed out, because they definitely aren't going to be gaining anything anytime soon.

kw0134 posted:

Twitter is currently so gutted as an organization and as a network of people you want to advertise to that it'll be a hell of a turnaround. It took 15 years to build Twitter to what it was at the start of October, and it may take nearly that long to wash out the stain and rebuild trust by both its potential users and the advertisers. Even if you pair back all the pie-in-the-sky projects, there were apparently a lot of fixed costs to running a network of Twitter's size; I'll have to dig up the article but it as reported that with all the staff cuts Musk achieved savings of like 15% of Twitter's expenses. Fifteen percent! Meanwhile the advertisers are fleeing and there's no one left to lure them back.

All these projections are like clocking a car just as it runs off the track and hits a wall. Yes, those trends were great. No, it's sort of meaningless now until you can do a full damage assessment. And it may well be a complete write off after an independent analysis looks at everything.

Yeah, rebuilding is probably going to take god only knows how long given the disaster we're looking at. It's gone from roughly making about 5 billion to (at least according to a Fortune article I saw) going on track to lose 4 billion this year. Just like....holy poo poo, what a loving crash for the company. But great forums content at least.

IBroughttheFunk fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Dec 20, 2022

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Ok so Elon is putting Twitter users in jail but also asking them how to vote?

How does this not make Elon look like a total loving moron for not knowing that the inmates he put in jail don't want him around?

I can't believe how loving stupid Babylon bee is. Just all around incompetent at comedy.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Lmao $TSLA down almost $4 premarket

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

kw0134 posted:

The correct spelling is "pare"

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Decon posted:

Same here! At least our dumbness just made us look a little embarrassed on the SA forums. :sweatdrop:

Ol' Musky's dumbness cost him 44 billion dollars and rising 🤣

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Decon posted:

Idk, could be that both are true.

It would be the funniest option.