Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I do not like Jason Mantzoukis in anything, I find his voice irritating, and he’s definitely kind of one-note in his VA work

That said, perfect casting for Rex Splode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Fill Baptismal posted:

Also, if monster girl ages normally when in human form, then her curse is like...not one at all really. She gets to remain young forever basically, as long as she manages to properly time out the intervals that she spends in monster form.

imo if Monster Girl wanted to get re-aged to her mid-20's she ought to go chill in the Flaxxan dimension.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

And Tyler Too! posted:

imo if Monster Girl wanted to get re-aged to her mid-20's she ought to go chill in the Flaxxan dimension.

:thunk:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
We should probably lock the thread before this just becomes an endless discussion of the adult woman who looks like a 12 year old girl (and is actually a 1,000 year old magical demon) before we end up like the V-Tuber thread

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Cheston posted:

I confused this with Irredeemable for 3 months and 1.5 episodes and I'm here to admit my shame

Same. Though the Irredeemable is much more upfront about the “what if Superman was evil” gimmick, they are pretty similar if you are just comparing bullet points. They both even have a generic demon guy that annoys the military/government characters!

Irredeemable, however, burns out the novelty of “evil Superman” in a few issues and has nothing to really fall back on to sustain it. Invincible has much, much more solid story telling fundamentals.

I’ve heard of having a really “punchable face”, but MachineFace or whatever his name was is the first time I’ve ever thought a character had a “punchable voice.” Auto tune voice was the perfect character trait for this guy.

I don’t think this really needs a season 2 though. Season 1 feels like it ends on a pretty good stopping point. Also the university episode felt largely like the waste of an episode. We don’t really need an explanation for where the robocops come from and “Mark appears to flake out on Amber one to many times” could have just been the time he was late to dinner with her mom.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Pulcinella posted:

I don’t think this really needs a season 2 though. Season 1 feels like it ends on a pretty good stopping point. Also the university episode felt largely like the waste of an episode. We don’t really need an explanation for where the robocops come from and “Mark appears to flake out on Amber one to many times” could have just been the time he was late to dinner with her mom.

It literally ends on a cliffhanger?

And yeah the uni ep isn't the greatest but the payoff of Mark slapping Sinclair is foreshadowing the frailty of humans and then "the government believes the ends justifies the means" is a good thing to keep in mind for later seasons.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Affi posted:

It literally ends on a cliffhanger?

And yeah the uni ep isn't the greatest but the payoff of Mark slapping Sinclair is foreshadowing the frailty of humans and then "the government believes the ends justifies the means" is a good thing to keep in mind for later seasons.

Cecil already is basically the kind of guy to develop some contingency plans. It’s doesn’t seem far fetched that, after seeing how the globe guardians were betrayed and killed by a single guy, might want some mindless super-soldiers that will just take orders instead of potentially turning on everyone.

The frailty of humans is weird just because it’s hard to tell how strong some of the characters are. Like the Dr. Geology and the guy with the laser beam are just normal people with gadgets but somehow can take several blows from Mark.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I think it's fair to say with those other examples that Mark was pulling his punches so he wouldn't obliterate them. That and with ones like Dr. Geology he was with other supers and so I don't think beating someone into a pulp with one good punch would go over well

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Pulcinella posted:

Cecil already is basically the kind of guy to develop some contingency plans. It’s doesn’t seem far fetched that, after seeing how the globe guardians were betrayed and killed by a single guy, might want some mindless super-soldiers that will just take orders instead of potentially turning on everyone.

They're also a lot stronger in this version of the story, able to beat the crap out of Mark, so he pretty clearly wanted them as a weapon against Omni-Man types.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

https://movieweb.com/invincible-season-2-recorded/

Khary Payton said they've just finished recording s2 lines and are now getting to work on s3. probably still a decent wait for a new season but its nice to finally hear a little progress

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

WOW. Voice is basically the first thing you do, so it's gonna' be a long while. That's surprising, and given Warner Discovery just axed a glut of animated shows, I'm surprised this all comes down to animation studios being too busy.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Oh geez, I would've thought the voice work would've been long done by now.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

jesus christ, really? I've been waiting for a Season 2 announcement for months now.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Pretty sure Amazon was threatening to pull all original content if Rings of Power flopped, so they may have been waiting to see if those threats held water.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Phenotype posted:

jesus christ, really? I've been waiting for a Season 2 announcement for months now.

The announcement-announcement is here, I guess!

https://twitter.com/InvincibleHQ/status/1603791044818046977

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
almost forgot about this show. lmao. hurry up.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
I’m at like the last arc of the comic again already

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

pik_d posted:

The announcement-announcement is here, I guess!

https://twitter.com/InvincibleHQ/status/1603791044818046977

https://twitter.com/ryanottley/status/1605018693498331136?s=46&t=_lT68OAansKT03RIsKdF6w

Categorize this news as ‘drat was that even a question?’

I’m guessing we’ll get a very short teaser trailer next month and the season won’t be out until mid year at the earliest

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The last I heard the second season is still only four episodes long, so I'm tempering my expectations accordingly.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Open Source Idiom posted:

The last I heard the second season is still only four episodes long, so I'm tempering my expectations accordingly.

Huh?? They know they have like a hundred more comics to get through, don't they? I don't even understand why season 2 is taking so long. It was a big hit, right? I'm sure COVID slowed stuff down but we're pretty far into business as usual again.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Takes a lot of time to animate all that blood splatter.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Phenotype posted:

Huh?? They know they have like a hundred more comics to get through, don't they? I don't even understand why season 2 is taking so long. It was a big hit, right? I'm sure COVID slowed stuff down but we're pretty far into business as usual again.

They had to wait for S1 to succeed before commissioning S2. They've decided to run S2 and 3 production together, so if S2 is only four eps, it will be to keep the ball rolling until a bigger S3 can be completed.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I can't find any source that says 4 episodes other than IMDB only having 4 preliminary entries for season 2. Not sure where that comes from.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I honestly have no memory of where I first heard it, but if imdb matches then I dunno what else to say.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjDOpHuUppU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

lol 'Late 2023 (more or less)'. I don't know if it was just extraordinarily bad planning or some serious stuff happening behind the scenes but wow.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

My suspects would be 1) lol covid, 2) not wanting to commit hard to a second season unless the first was well received so not much in the way if prep work while the first was airing, and 3) decent quality animation is kind of hard, especially if you need to do a 6-10 hour block if it. Kind of the same reason things like the Venture Bros. or what have you had long periods between seasons.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I don't think two years is that long for an animated production?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Yeah, but Covid's like wind chill. It's been 2 years, feels like 11

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Yeah, 2 years is okay.
On the other hand there have been other extremes too. All 3 10-episode seasons of Kipo aired in 2020. I really think Netflix should have spread that one out a bit more. It's a great show.
To be fair, the actual production time was probably quite long too. Just all in one batch for some reason.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jan 21, 2023

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
yeah Venture Bros and its 7 seasons in 20 years has strengthened my patience for this kind of thing.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I'd rather the animators not be flogged to bring me my treats sooner

They're probably still being flogged right?

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Obviously

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

I mean I guessed that having the entire story bones laid out woulda made things a bit easier compared to something like Venture bros. Obviously it needs to be adapted and rearranged to make more sense in the season structure. Also I hope this means we're getting a full season and not 4 episodes, which may be the cause of holdup if they had to change directions.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

E: wrong thread

Good Citizen fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jan 21, 2023

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I'm not too familiar with the comics, but is this the part of the story with Conquest?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I'm not too familiar with the comics, but is this the part of the story with Conquest?

Almost surely not. Do not read any of this if you don’t know what comes next in the comics. We probably need at least a few episodes before omniman comes back into the picture, and that probably takes a few episodes. Then we have maybe an episode of cooldown before lady Viltumite who’s name I forget shows up. And then Conquest is a bit later than that. And really that’s only if they go turbo speed on the ‘main’ story

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Good Citizen posted:

Almost surely not. Do not read any of this if you don’t know what comes next in the comics. We probably need at least a few episodes before omniman comes back into the picture, and that probably takes a few episodes. Then we have maybe an episode of cooldown before lady Viltumite who’s name I forget shows up. And then Conquest is a bit later than that. And really that’s only if they go turbo speed on the ‘main’ story

Likewise ultra-spoilery: On the timeframe we've seen so far, I'd expect Omni-Man to reappear in the last couple of episodes of S2 - possibly Allen will return to Earth because the Coalition have learned of a Viltrumite takeover on the Mantis world and need a third party to deal with it - and they'll introduce Oliver. S3 will be where they spool up into the Viltrumite War, probably ending with Mark's fight against Conquest.

E: a check of the IMDb page shows that Oliver has been cast (as Kid Omni-Man) and the actor is credited for six episodes. So it might be mid-season that we get that plotline.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 21, 2023

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Jedit posted:

Likewise ultra-spoilery: On the timeframe we've seen so far, I'd expect Omni-Man to reappear in the last couple of episodes of S2 - possibly Allen will return to Earth because the Coalition have learned of a Viltrumite takeover on the Mantis world and need a third party to deal with it - and they'll introduce Oliver. S3 will be where they spool up into the Viltrumite War, probably ending with Mark's fight against Conquest.

E: a check of the IMDb page shows that Oliver has been cast (as Kid Omni-Man) and the actor is credited for six episodes. So it might be mid-season that we get that plotline.

To continue the ultra spoilers that guy also plays Matt, the son of that security guard, and they may be getting a bit liberal with the episode credits there. I’d say the chances Oliver speaks this season are way low.

I think max speed they can go is an episode or two of aftermath/side stuff, build up Angstrom’s origin (needed pre-Conquest for the alt dimension stuff), and then finale through bug planet. Then season three will be totally nuts as it goes Lady viltrumite > Angstrom/invincible war > Conquest (with conquest possibly slipping to season 4 opener

Sorry I’ll shut up about spoilers now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Robert Kirkman has said he is using the television show to update the story and has accelerated some things while expanding others so I'm not sure what will be in the next two seasons.

They could start introducing some of the later arc stuff to get you acquainted with the people in them and their stories rather than just having fully formed concepts debut in a storyline. I'd be curious to see David Anders as a character.

Rectal Death Adept fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 21, 2023