Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

Kashuno posted:

He may start getting margin calls today the way TSLA is dropping

It dipped its toes into $141 a few minutes ago

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Man it's going to be loving nuts explaining to adults 20 years from now how all these orphaned Tesla cars were destroyed by a moron CEO tanking his stock and taking out the entire company because of his ego. At least I got to hear about Delorean killing a brand with his rad cocaine deal instead of Tesla and their bitch-rear end whiny CEO pissing his pants at anyone laughing at him.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

MJeff posted:

So what the gently caress do they even allege that Hunter Biden did that is so maliciously being covered up, because near as I can figure, it's being addicted to drugs, which is public knowledge and...having a penis.

There were really only two actual claims that I'm aware of.
The first being that he traded influence for money with Ukraine while he had that cushy no work board position. That one is typical fail son poo poo that every lovely kid with powerful parents does. There are claims that Joe Biden actively participated, but the only evidence to this is a single use of the term "big guy" in an email.
The second is the completely uncorroborated claim that there was CSAM on the laptop.

Pappyland
Jun 17, 2004

There's no limit to your imagination!
College Slice
Does a margin call hit only if the stock price ends the day at, say $140, or is it hit during intraday trading at that price?

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Carwash oval office posted:

Interesting.....

I totally understand what this means, but please explain for someone who doesn't.

bumping cause i need to explain this to other people confidently because this is too loving funny

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
no no, there was cspam on the laptop

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

Pappyland
Jun 17, 2004

There's no limit to your imagination!
College Slice

Slotducks posted:

bumping cause i need to explain this to other people confidently because this is too loving funny

I think the idea is that he has loans secured by Tesla stock price being above a certain dollar amount. The lower it goes, the more he has to pony up to keep the loan - so he gets caught in a bad cycle of having to sell stock to keep loans out - which lowers the share price even more by flooding the market with cheaper shares. Rinse/repeat.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The year is 2045

Civilization has collapsed, the remnants of humanity struggle to survive on a dead earth

Twitter Files Part Three Thousand Four Hundred Fifty-Two is released

It is also about Hunter's laptop

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Pappyland posted:

Does a margin call hit only if the stock price ends the day at, say $140, or is it hit during intraday trading at that price?

I don’t know but I’m tempted to answer confidently anyways

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Interesting.....

I totally understand what this means, but please explain for someone who doesn't.

Sometimes you put up stock as collateral for loans, the same way that your house may be collateral for your mortgage. If you don't pay your loan, the grantor of the loan takes your collateral via the courts.

The problem is that I don't simply want 10,000 Tesla shares of collateral, I want $10M dollars of collateral. So if your Tesla shares drop in value too much, I am no longer sufficient covered if you stop paying your loan. So the loan has terms that say if the value of the stock drops below $XXX, then you have to put up $Y Million additional dollars of collateral, for example.

There are apparently some of those stock values getting close to triggering calls for additional collateral.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

ryde posted:

Yeah he’s referring to this:

https://twitter.com/shellenbergermd/status/1604908670063906817?s=46&t=xgS0PVqFULqnXcfAcO9HCw

It’s entirely “the FBI is reimbursing us for time spent”

Lol at this being a 46 part string

Ain’t no one reading all that, if these clowns are trying to drop TRUTH BOMBS in these big TWITTER FILES they have to learn to be concise

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

fishing with the fam posted:

The first being that he traded influence for money with Ukraine while he had that cushy no work board position. That one is typical fail son poo poo that every lovely kid with powerful parents does. There are claims that Joe Biden actively participated, but the only evidence to this is a single use of the term "big guy" in an email.
The second is the completely uncorroborated claim that there was CSAM on the laptop.

He was going on CSPAM?! Nevermind, the Republicans are right, throw him in jail.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Pappyland posted:

As someone who knows what they're talking about (I googled it and skimmed results), it looks like it's usually closing price

Carwash Cunt
Aug 21, 2007

Devor posted:

Sometimes you put up stock as collateral for loans, the same way that your house may be collateral for your mortgage. If you don't pay your loan, the grantor of the loan takes your collateral via the courts.

The problem is that I don't simply want 10,000 Tesla shares of collateral, I want $10M dollars of collateral. So if your Tesla shares drop in value too much, I am no longer sufficient covered if you stop paying your loan. So the loan has terms that say if the value of the stock drops below $XXX, then you have to put up $Y Million additional dollars of collateral, for example.

There are apparently some of those stock values getting close to triggering calls for additional collateral.

Thank you. Now I need to go think about what is funnier, this happening or his followers throwing their life savings into tesla stock to keep it high enough to protect their mars emperor

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Thank you. Now I need to go think about what is funnier, this happening or his followers throwing their life savings into tesla stock to keep it high enough to protect their mars emperor

Elon Musk, recently dethroned as the richest man alive, having to personally trade his stock to other people making them richer and himself poorer. I'm all about that.

The ideal scenario is that Musk has to trade out his ownership of Tesla down to like 49.9% from margin calls. The rest of the shareholders could vote out the board of directors and replace them with anti-Musk people who fire him as CEO and run his sycophants out of the company, resulting in a Tesla he cannot influence at all.

As much as I hate his sycophants I'm trying to think of the long-term for people who work in and around his companies, and sacrificing his dumb-rear end on the altar of capitalism makes a lot more sense than sacrificing him and them.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
lol I was going to post that $TSLA was under 143 and F5'd and it's under 142 as of now
edit: down 8 cents in 15 seconds since this post.

TO THE MOON ATLANTIS!

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

You can't mention the uncorroborated claim of CSAM without the very important part where countless right-wing pundits were shouting from the rooftops about being in possession of said material, and actively and intentionally distributing it.

It will forever remain my favorite part of "the laptop!"

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
141.78!!! You can do it Tesla!!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

funeral home DJ posted:

Elon Musk, recently dethroned as the richest man alive, having to personally trade his stock to other people making them richer and himself poorer. I'm all about that.

The ideal scenario is that Musk has to trade out his ownership of Tesla down to like 49.9% from margin calls. The rest of the shareholders could vote out the board of directors and replace them with anti-Musk people who fire him as CEO and run his sycophants out of the company, resulting in a Tesla he cannot influence at all.

As much as I hate his sycophants I'm trying to think of the long-term for people who work in and around his companies, and sacrificing his dumb-rear end on the altar of capitalism makes a lot more sense than sacrificing him and them.

He's only got ~25% now. I don't know how much of that is leveraged

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Seth Pecksniff posted:

141.78!!! You can do it Tesla!!

Market close is 4:00EST nothing matters until then.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

funeral home DJ posted:

nah, gently caress Tesla as a company and may their homicidal tech mar the whole idea of FSD for long enough that fuel scarcity prevents it from being much of a problem, aside for the rare time the local baron's military-grade ATV barrels straight through your village

edit: their human driver would have done that too, who cares

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Cabbages and Kings posted:

lol I was going to post that $TSLA was under 143 and F5'd and it's under 142 as of now
edit: down 8 cents in 15 seconds since this post.

TO THE MOON ATLANTIS!

Lol!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

What is the trigger point for Musk getting margin called on the Tesla stock he put up for the Twitter purchase? I tried reading an article on it but the words slid over my brain.

People have speculated 145 or 140. But only Elon and the banks know for sure.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

pixaal posted:

It depends on the terms of the loan, because simply crossing it may trigger it. Most retail customers get liquidated the moment it hits a predetermined stop loss. Elon might be given the grace of smoothing out intraday fluctuations or even on a weekly basis if options are used to do the hedging.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Azhais posted:

He's only got ~25% now. I don't know how much of that is leveraged

:stare: Who are these dipshits that are letting him run free? I thought shareholders were supposed to be smart people who would stop idiots like Musk from running their investments into the ground.

Why is capitalism continuously sucking at what it's supposed to do?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

quote:

The analysts are growing increasingly worried about "Tesla thesis drift from 1) unlimited demand/Rev to 2) margin "story", that has occurred over the last 6-12 months."

They also note that Tesla stock is now trading below the $150-163 support zone, which was seen as a "critical battleline to defend."

"Short term it's too late to sell, but also too early to buy (net long)," the analysts added

:rubby:

https://www.investing.com/news/stock-market-news/too-late-to-sell-and-too-early-to-buy-more-analysts-cut-tesla-stock-targets-432SI-2967761

funeral home DJ posted:

:stare: Who are these dipshits that are letting him run free? I thought shareholders were supposed to be smart people who would stop idiots like Musk from running their investments into the ground.

Capitalism is functioning as intended

https://www.thestreet.com/investing/stocks/how-elon-musk-controls-tesla-with-only-a-minority-stake-14564491

quote:

"The argument is that he has control, not voting control, not equity control, but a complex form of control by combination of his equity stake on one hand and supermajority voting provisions on the other," said University of Iowa Associate Professor of Law Gregory Shill.

Musk owns 22% of the equity and voting rights in the company, which may not seem like a lot considering that Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg controls 60% of the votes at the social media giant and much less of the equity. However, according to a lawsuit in Delaware Chancery Court, Tesla's bylaws contain supermajority voting requirements that require the approval of two-thirds of shares to OK major changes at the electric-car maker, including mergers, acquisitions or changes to the board's compensation.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Devor posted:

Well said. This helped me:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

funeral home DJ posted:

Beats me. I don't know how the rules work but he doesn't even technically own all that stock, some amount of it is options he can exercise. I'd like to believe that he needs to buy the shares to vote them but I don't know

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

pixaal posted:

I need blood :kheldragar:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
loving transparent infographic in tyool 2022? It's like these fucks have never heard of dark mode.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

funeral home DJ posted:

I thought shareholders were supposed to be smart people

Lol. Lmao.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

kw0134 posted:

It depends on the terms of the loan, because simply crossing it may trigger it. Most retail customers get liquidated the moment it hits a predetermined stop loss. Elon might be given the grace of smoothing out intraday fluctuations or even on a weekly basis if options are used to do the hedging.

I'm thinking of how stock brokers do margin, I've short sold options before so I'm familiar with the grace periods. Haven't gotten the margin call but did look into them and am in a discord with people that have gotten margin calls and they've had time. If it works different on loans then I'm out of my depth.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Kashuno posted:

He may start getting margin calls today the way TSLA is dropping

You’re not kidding. Currently sitting at $141.40

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

funeral home DJ posted:

what? no the average retail stock trader now reads reddit and YOLO's into complete garbage. This happened during Covid, poo poo posting bad stock trades became a popular meme.

See Game Stop (GME) and AMC (AMC)

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

One-forty! One-forty!

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

quote:

McRitchie said he spoke at Tesla's 2014 annual meeting, urging the company to collapse its supermajority voting structure, arguing that it impeded good governance. However, Tesla directors opposed the change. Roughly 42% of Tesla's stockholders backed the proposal - 56% support if one considers only non-insiders. In 2016, McRitchie submitted another proposal to eliminate the supermajority voting requirements, but the board recommended against it, and it received 42% support again.

Holy poo poo, these people are buying Tesla stock and are watching as the directors tell them "lol shut up I do what I want" and these dense morons aren't immediately selling their stock. :stonklol:

pixaal posted:

what? no the average retail stock trader now reads reddit and YOLO's into complete garbage. This happened during Covid, poo poo posting bad stock trades became a popular meme.

See Game Stop (GME) and AMC (AMC)

I'm worried about paying upcoming bills and the dumbest human beings alive are currently passing around tens of thousands of dollars between their asses like a subway train with zero concern.

Agghghghh how am I stuck in the dumbest part of the human history timeline?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

pixaal posted:

I'm thinking of how stock brokers do margin, I've short sold options before so I'm familiar with the grace periods. Haven't gotten the margin call but did look into them and am in a discord with people that have gotten margin calls and they've had time. If it works different on loans then I'm out of my depth.
It's dictated entirely by the terms and what securities are being used and the level of risk the lender is assigning to the borrower and the security and a million other factors. If your equity drops below a certain level at any point, for a lot of people it's game over, your position is closed because the broker doesn't want to eat the loss. The point though is that no one can speak authoritatively on when precisely Musk is hosed because these things have no set rules, and it is highly probable given who he is and the amounts involved these are bespoke contract terms hammered out with highly paid investment bankers and lawyers on both sides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
https://twitter.com/followtheh/stat...%5Es1_&ref_url=