Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

man nurse posted:

Oh yeah and mortal wounds is a dumb mechanic that adds nothing to the game.

I'm a bit torn about this one. As annoying as it was, I felt that it gave some welcome degree of slightly more seriousness to getting shot by a gun or impaled by a katana.

That said, I didn't miss it at all in LJ, so you're probably right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Bah, everyone knows that guns are illegal, so that never comes up

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I'm about halfway through 5, all I knew about it going in was that the pacing sucked and jesus gently caress they were not wrong. Kiryu's opening section was great, and felt like 60-75% of a really solid Yakuza game. But then Saejima's section was utter loving dogshit and should've been removed entirely, which sucks because I like Saejima. I liked his hunting bullshit though- I kinda wish they'd cut the prison break and just had he and Majima hanging out in the mountains with a bunch of ex cons all game.

Haruka's is super weird. I know a lot of people hated the rhythm game, and I'm lukewarm on it, but I actually thought it was tolerable, and watching her deal with nonstop creepy industry bullshit was kinda fun... but oh my loving god, I've played her for probably 6-7 hours and her rhythm game has one song.

Anywhoo I just started Akiyama, and for the first time since Kiryu I'm actually having fun in combat, but holy poo poo what the gently caress is this game? It feels like they planned for a Kiryu game, then saw how popular 4 was and split the last act into 40 hours and four other dudes.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i choose to believe that Haruka's section is an accurate portrayal of what it's like to perform the same song over and over again

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
people want to hear the hits

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i choose to believe that Haruka's section is an accurate portrayal of what it's like to perform the same song over and over again

Funnily enough I had the same thought at one point. This isn't a Yakuza thing at all, but it occurred to me that it'd be funny if Haruka had some kind of fatigue/ennui meter that everything about the day-day idol grind raised, and the only way to lower it was doing sidequests and stupid crime hijinks with best uncle Akiyama.

I do absolutely love how in the very end of her first section it casually reveals Majima is Park's ex-husband and Sky Finance financed Dyna Chair within the space of like five minutes, that was great.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Saejima's section would be 300% more tolerable if the map didn't restrict you to the tiny sidewalks so you'd inevitably get into 3+ combat encounters running between objectives

That minigame where you help deliver piping hot ramen on an icy street while trying to avoid slipping pedestrians was pretty good though

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i like the handwarmer quest for being excessively stupid like the best yakuza side jobs

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Wolfsheim posted:

Saejima's section would be 300% more tolerable if the map didn't restrict you to the tiny sidewalks so you'd inevitably get into 3+ combat encounters running between objectives

That minigame where you help deliver piping hot ramen on an icy street while trying to avoid slipping pedestrians was pretty good though

Yeah, and that's the really weird thing with everyone, but Saejima in particular: while the quality isn't as consistent (I loved like 90% of 3 and 4's side stories, but a lot of 5's are a coin flip for me), the good stuff is great. Some of Saejima's side stories, in particular, are among my very favorite goofy bullshit moments in the entire series. Santa hunting and ramen curling were dope as hell.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I finished Shinada's story last night, and man that was a really good, self-contained story with an amazing character arc (even if it ended a little heavy-handed on the exposition). I could've played an entire game of just Shinada, though I guess at like 5+ hours I kinda did play an entire game of just Shinada. Yakuza 5 really does just feel like several smallish games released in a single package.

Now back to Kiryu, and I've already forgotten why he's even in Kamurocho or what the main plot of the game even was :shrug:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

King Vidiot posted:

Now back to Kiryu, and I've already forgotten why he's even in Kamurocho or what the main plot of the game even was :shrug:

don't worry, you're not alone in that

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

What's funny about the main plot is that everything keeps coming back to "Omg, where's Daigo?? Who kidnapped or killed him???"

Now, I've played in a weird order: I did 1 and 2 on the ps2, then jumped to 0 and 7, then got 3-6 when they came to PC. Halfway through 5 I don't know for sure what happened to Daigo, but from future games and talking to buddies about the franchise I think I know exactly where he is... and if I'm right, everybody is going to be so loving pissed at him.

I've got a buddy who really dislikes Daigo, and I've been more or less neutral leaning towards positive... but if what I think happened happened, holy poo poo did that dude pick the right course of action when he retired in 7.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Daigo is pretty great in 5 and 7 and I will fight anyone who says otherwise and then get shot in a cutscene probably

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

This is a bit of a western way to look at him, but what I love about the character is that (spoilers for whole series 'cause why not) in 2 Kiryu basically bullies him into taking over because of nepotism + duty, the whole giri vs ninjo thing. Kiryu's logic was immaculate from his perspective- the son takes over the family business, he has a duty to his crime family, blah blah... and Daigo tries his best, but holy gently caress is he bad at it. I like him as a character, and I think he tried his hardest, but my understanding is that Majima was basically the only reason the Tojo didn't crumble under him, and holy gently caress they should've gone for meritocracy over tradition.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yakuza 5 is a game which has some of the highest highs in the series, but also some pretty bad lows too. Probably inevitable as a result of its scope and ambition but I still respect it for even attempting it. I do think the order of playable characters should have been changed around though, as much as I love Shinada's story and think it's the highlight of the game it's also the most superfluous to the actual events of the finale and playing as him right after playing as Haruka and Akiyama in Part 3 begin to uncover pieces of the conspiracy which are relevant to the finale kind of breaks the pacing pretty badly. That's why people forget why Kiryu or Saejima are even going to Kamurocho by the time the finale comes around.

I get Yakuza 5, they wanted to tell a set of anthology stories centered around the themes of dreams and identity and have each playable character explore that but I think the developers realized it got messy and limited the total number of player characters in future games to just two at most or only focus on a single protagonist or in the case of 7 have everyone travel alongside each other for most of the game.

Omi no Kami posted:

This is a bit of a western way to look at him, but what I love about the character is that (spoilers for whole series 'cause why not) in 2 Kiryu basically bullies him into taking over because of nepotism + duty, the whole giri vs ninjo thing. Kiryu's logic was immaculate from his perspective- the son takes over the family business, he has a duty to his crime family, blah blah... and Daigo tries his best, but holy gently caress is he bad at it. I like him as a character, and I think he tried his hardest, but my understanding is that Majima was basically the only reason the Tojo didn't crumble under him, and holy gently caress they should've gone for meritocracy over tradition.

Poor Daigo is called 大誤算 (Daigosan, can be translated as big mistake) among Japanese fans for a reason. To be fair though, I think they're being unfair because Daigo was given a task that was doomed to fail from the start. No matter how good Daigo was at his job, the events of Yakuza 1 dealt a crippling blow to the Tojo Clan that would be impossible to fully recover from and it can be argued that everything after led the organization into a death spiral. If the events of Yakuza 3 didn't happen, then maybe they could have been brought back from the brink but losing senior membership like Kashiwagi as well as losing Mine basically meant the Tojo Clan had to prioritize making money over loyalty at any cost and this weakness plus the changing politics and laws meant they'd inevitably fall against the Omi.

So yeah, I do feel sorry for Daigo in a way. He was given an impossible task by someone who didn't bother to mentor him.

Selenephos fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Dec 20, 2022

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Kojiro posted:

If you dont play 0 first then Nishiki really is just Some Guy and I am not sure how you can begin to care about him

I still loving hate Nishiki probably because I played (started 7, got hooked) Kiwami first, then 0. It was really nice getting to go back and actually be friends with the dude but at the same time every little thing he does I'm like dude this little character flaw is going to be a massive pain in my rear end very soon.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I mean, I guess the announcement of Majima's death is enough of a reason to go to Kamurocho but... was that it? It feels like there was more to it but I guess there wasn't, and I don't remember being given any more information than that.

It just kind of felt like I was missing something when I was back in control of Kiryu. I guess I'll be reminded eventually since the series loves to exposition dump at the end of the game, in-between shirtless yelling combat.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Omi no Kami posted:

Haruka's is super weird. I know a lot of people hated the rhythm game, and I'm lukewarm on it, but I actually thought it was tolerable, and watching her deal with nonstop creepy industry bullshit was kinda fun... but oh my loving god, I've played her for probably 6-7 hours and her rhythm game has one song.

The first song is by far the best song over the one or two others that you get so I wasn't too bothered. I wish the dance battle minigame actually did something because I don't think I bothered with it except for the required battles. There just didn't seem to be a point or reward iirc.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

King Vidiot posted:

I mean, I guess the announcement of Majima's death is enough of a reason to go to Kamurocho but... was that it? It feels like there was more to it but I guess there wasn't, and I don't remember being given any more information than that.

It just kind of felt like I was missing something when I was back in control of Kiryu. I guess I'll be reminded eventually since the series loves to exposition dump at the end of the game, in-between shirtless yelling combat.

Kiryu can't let Haruka or the Tojo Clan be. That's his fatal flaw. That's the point. He willingly gave up his own dream for the sake of what he believes is Haruka's dream in order to protect her, but both ended up in danger anyway. That's why he's going back to Kamurocho.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
I played Y5 fairly recently and I couldn't tell you what the connection was between Haruka's concert, Daigo's disappearance and Majima if you put a gun to my head. Aside from Majima being married to Mirei Park somehow offscreen

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Jerusalem posted:

I can't remember if it is Kiwami 1 or 2, but there was a point where Kiryu would have just finished BRUTALLY beating the asses of like 12 dudes all by himself, take 3 steps and a group of 6 dudes would be like,"Hey this tall wall of muscle and death looks like an easy target!" and immediately try to start poo poo as well.

It was spectacular :allears:

That's all the games. Yakuza mooks have the same self preservation instincts as those Oblivion bandits with a butter knife attacking the PC in full daedric armor.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Grand Fromage posted:

That's all the games. Yakuza mooks have the same self preservation instincts as those Oblivion bandits with a butter knife attacking the PC in full daedric armor.

Oblivion had terrible level scaling so those bandits were rocking a full glass set

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Poor Daigo is called 大誤算 (Daigosan, can be translated as big mistake) among Japanese fans for a reason. To be fair though, I think they're being unfair because Daigo was given a task that was doomed to fail from the start. No matter how good Daigo was at his job, the events of Yakuza 1 dealt a crippling blow to the Tojo Clan that would be impossible to fully recover from and it can be argued that everything after led the organization into a death spiral. If the events of Yakuza 3 didn't happen, then maybe they could have been brought back from the brink but losing senior membership like Kashiwagi as well as losing Mine basically meant the Tojo Clan had to prioritize making money over loyalty at any cost and this weakness plus the changing politics and laws meant they'd inevitably fall against the Omi.

So yeah, I do feel sorry for Daigo in a way. He was given an impossible task by someone who didn't bother to mentor him.

And the events of 3 only happened because Daigo put his loyalty to Kiryu ahead of the needs of the Tojo Clan. If he had just sold the orphanage to the CIA or whatever none of that poo poo would have happened. Daigo is a good boy, but a terrible yakuza chairman.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

...okay, so I just got to the manzai side story and jesus christ. I speak Japanese, so it was mostly fine, but how the gently caress is that possible with localization? I barely had enough time to follow the patter as it is, I can't imagine how nightmarish that would be if you had to read and process Haruo's dialogue boxes.

And back on Daigo talk, wasn't one of the big issues with 1 that despite being a massive piece of poo poo, Dojima was really, really good with money, and basically the only guy keeping the clan solvent before Majima Construction was a thing?

I know my take on it ever since his widow chewed Kiryu out in 2 is that the clan really should've dissolved years ago, and Kiryu is basically the anti-darwin every time he shows up and single-handedly demolishes whatever's got them in trouble this time.

That, and I was never entirely clear why the Omi Alliance didn't just steamroll them- don't they straight up have some ridiculous number advantage, to the point that even Kiryu and Majima in 2 basically went "...yeah, we physically cannot beat up 40,000 guys in one sitting"?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Professor Beetus posted:

Oblivion had terrible level scaling so those bandits were rocking a full glass set

You're a full glass set!!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think i just used a guide for the manzai mini game

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
anyway thsi is the basic story of the tojo clan

Feels Villeneuve posted:

guy playing Yakuza Zero and seeing those cool Tojo clan dudes as recurring antagonists: wow these guys look cool. I bet the Tojo Clan is incredibly badass and competent in the other games

guy playing the other games: what the

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
They did a pretty good job with the Manzai, I can't remember using a guide for it and I think I got through it without too much trouble.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Definitely used a guide for it, it's so goddamn fast

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Omi no Kami posted:

...okay, so I just got to the manzai side story and jesus christ. I speak Japanese, so it was mostly fine, but how the gently caress is that possible with localization? I barely had enough time to follow the patter as it is, I can't imagine how nightmarish that would be if you had to read and process Haruo's dialogue boxes.

And back on Daigo talk, wasn't one of the big issues with 1 that despite being a massive piece of poo poo, Dojima was really, really good with money, and basically the only guy keeping the clan solvent before Majima Construction was a thing?

I know my take on it ever since his widow chewed Kiryu out in 2 is that the clan really should've dissolved years ago, and Kiryu is basically the anti-darwin every time he shows up and single-handedly demolishes whatever's got them in trouble this time.

That, and I was never entirely clear why the Omi Alliance didn't just steamroll them- don't they straight up have some ridiculous number advantage, to the point that even Kiryu and Majima in 2 basically went "...yeah, we physically cannot beat up 40,000 guys in one sitting"?

Manzai was even harder in the localized digital only PS3 release, which didn't give you an indication of the correct timing like the remaster does, you actually really did have to follow what gets said and figure out the best timing to say it.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Manzai was even harder in the localized digital only PS3 release, which didn't give you an indication of the correct timing like the remaster does, you actually really did have to follow what gets said and figure out the best timing to say it.
Yeah this combined with the fact it was possible to "fail" substories permanently in 5 made it an absolute nightmare. I had to copy down a list of the right buttons to press and then still go back and reload more than once to get the timings right.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i think 4 and 5 are my personal favorites from the series after playing 0-6

the pacing in all yakuza games sucks, but i learned to treat each game as a season of a crime drama that forgets it needs to end until like 3 episodes left so it crams it all in

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

the trumpets from the haruka song opening still haunt my existance though

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i think 4 and 5 are my personal favorites from the series after playing 0-6

the pacing in all yakuza games sucks, but i learned to treat each game as a season of a crime drama that forgets it needs to end until like 3 episodes left so it crams it all in

I would say that Kiwami 1 has good pacing because it's so short but then I remember the part where helping Date and the Florist's kids are both mandatory to move the plot forward and it is absolutely dire

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Was I the only one who had zero problems with the manzai minigame? Granted I only played the first one of them and then stopped, and I assume that was the tutorial...

Guess I'm just naturally funny :colbert:

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I thought manzai was fine but I played the remaster and also I can read fast. some of it comes out very quickly though

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
ive only ever played the PS3 version of Yak5 so that might be part of it

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
people who already played all the yakuzas games think they are soooo cool and they are i wish i was like them look at me i know what manzai is

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

King Vidiot posted:

Was I the only one who had zero problems with the manzai minigame? Granted I only played the first one of them and then stopped, and I assume that was the tutorial...

Guess I'm just naturally funny :colbert:

They made it easier for filthy gaijin in the Remaster version

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
I played the remaster so I guess that makes sense then.