Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

big black turnout posted:

I was looking up when Tesla split and lol at this

God drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

kazil posted:

Citation Needed

Tim Cook wouldn't take the 30% cut out, so Musk raised it by 35% on IOS. It just means more money for Apple.

https://twitter.com/Twitter/status/1601692766257709056

Philthy fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 20, 2022

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Stoatbringer posted:

Down 54% since September.

Elon: I just wish that I was funny!

(A mummified monkey paw Elon bought from the Hobby Lobby CEO curls it's finger)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
If he wanted the public to judge his suitability to run a company he could have just gone on the apprentice.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I doubt Cook cares enough to spare any thought to having any sort of emotion for Musk, good or bad. He cares about Apple. He doesn't care about Twitter or Tesla or anything else except insofar it may affect Apple. That's it.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

kazil posted:

*holding sink*

"Looks like that stock price is sinking!"

:emptyquote:

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

ben shapino posted:

quake 2 lookin mother fucker

The Stroker Ace
Feb 7, 2007

Is there anything historically close to what Elon is doing? Has anything melted down this quickly? I can’t really think of anything.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

CharlestheHammer posted:

Their sample size was less than 500

Listen dickhead, what part of national, scientific and representative do you not get?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

kw0134 posted:

I doubt Cook cares enough to spare any thought to having any sort of emotion for Musk, good or bad. He cares about Apple. He doesn't care about Twitter or Tesla or anything else except insofar it may affect Apple. That's it.

Elon made a stink about Apple's cut of app purchases, Tim called Elon over, Elon gave Tim a deal on advertising on Twitter, and now Tim doesn't give a poo poo.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

https://stocktwits.com/symbol/TSLA

It's me, libetard in disguise 🥸

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Interesting

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

The Stroker Ace posted:

Is there anything historically close to what Elon is doing? Has anything melted down this quickly? I can’t really think of anything.

Epstein maybe

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

The Stroker Ace posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXUJ22fD4Cw

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Also what kind of scientific poll is out there telling one of its subjects how good they did

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Philthy posted:

Tim Cook wouldn't take the 30% cut out, so Musk raised it by 35% on IOS. It just means more money for Apple.

Has Apple ever waived the 30%?

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1605250734206885889

drat, so he's really just going to do a takes-backsies on a poll whose results he didn't like and put the blame on a rigged vote from bots - after literally just crowing that he had gotten rid of them. And of course after honoring all the previous votes and praising the will of the people, though to be fair most of those votes were for whether rightwing assholes should be allowed back on.

Keep on goin', Musk. Just doing an absolute hell of a job here.

IBroughttheFunk fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 20, 2022

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Azhais posted:

Has Apple ever waived the 30%?

Not that I am aware of. Musk thought he could just techbro it up because.. Musk. No such luck.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Yes I know the poll that I put on the website that I own said that everyone wants me to leave the website that I own but have we considered that maybe that's not actually what happened at all?

Interesting
🤣

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Philthy posted:

Tim Cook told him to go gently caress himself.

The way I see what happened was Apple was going to pull the advertisement money and kick him off the Apple Store.

Then Musk here went and talked to him and he got Apple to continue to keep paying up.

Additionally, he raised the price of Blue Checkmarks bought through the Apple Store hence pushing people away from the App Store taking away any money Apple would have made on the sale.

Seems Tim got on those knees as I have no idea what Musk could have given him in return.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Has HarrisX ever been right about loving anything?

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Elon's suitability as a leader should be tested by releasing two pigs into Twitter HQ with "1" and "3" painted onto their flanks and tasking him with catching them all.

By the end of the day he'll claim that he did find pig number two, but it was sick and had to be taken to a vet immediately.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

Their sample size was less than 500

close, 1028 people, in an overnight poll. So all the terminally online folk..yeah that represents the general population alright..

https://twitter.com/Harris_X_/status/1604975584928739328

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Maybe the secret to musk's success is good head game

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009

The Stroker Ace posted:

Liz Truss, who was UK Prime Minister for 50 days earlier this year. Cheered on by the tiny minority of pensioners that elected her, plus the right wing press, she enacted policies so disastrous that she was forced out of office in record time.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Azhais posted:

Maybe the secret to musk's success is good head game

Everything is decided by a series of blowjobs

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Doctor Butts posted:

While the latter part is probably true, I don't think the former is.

What penalty would they have faced? I know American capitalism sucks but as far as I know you are never forced to sell to someone.

I mean, it's also not true that they have a 'duty' to make as much money as possible. The board and company can prefer growth, investment into R&D, environmental goals, anything else.

Doing a quick Google search revealed to me (via an article on a Harvard law page) that officers of a company have four fiduciary duties to a company, which include making decisions that are in the company's best interests (and not their own), along with ensuring shareholders receive the maximum benefit possible. Turning down Musk's ridiculously inflated offer would absolutely have been a violation of those two duties. Given that I read this on a Harvard law page (and saw similar info on links to various pages that linked to lawyer sites specializing in financial law), I'm guessing there are also financial and/or legal penalties for disregarding those duties, as well.

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

Tormented posted:

The way I see what happened was Apple was going to pull the advertisement money and kick him off the Apple Store.

Then Musk here went and talked to him and he got Apple to continue to keep paying up.

Additionally, he raised the price of Blue Checkmarks bought through the Apple Store hence pushing people away from the App Store taking away any money Apple would have made on the sale.

Seems Tim got on those knees as I have no idea what Musk could have given him in return.

Yeah... it seems like Tim Cook literally just explained the Apple terms of service to him. There is no reason to think Tim Cook thinks about Twitter at all, much less have some secret agenda against them. Whether or not Twtter is in the app store has, financially speaking, effectively zero impact on Apple's bottom line.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

The Stroker Ace posted:

Money wise? Easily. Leading up to the great depression a lot of people could have had wealthy dynasties if they had stopped after their first sales, instead of then getting caught up in everyone else's bullshit and investing it all at the very worst possible time.

Clown in the newspaper wise? nahhhh

v Apple does so much volume through the app store that billions of dollars are laundered through the platform every year and this is because they worked very hard to get it down from double digits.

New Zealand can eat me fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 20, 2022

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

Tormented posted:

I doubt sales of Twitter Blue on the app store are more than a rounding error for Apple.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Tormented posted:

There's no greater conspiracy other than someone below Cook brought some ads (which amount to like 0.1% of Apple's total ad costs) while Cook enforced his TOS. There's no rule against charging more for the app store so long as you don't advertise it within the store. Not everything has to fit in some great plan, all this is a completely trivial sideshow compared with developing a new iPhone or finding some way to squeeze the cell carriers for more.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogTDa-vG2MQ

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Tormented posted:

That's.. not accurate. Apple warned them that bypassing payments by using a web hook vs using the app store for payments with the 30% cut, that the app would be removed from the store. Musk just didn't want to pay the 30%, and Cook said no. Now Apple gets their cut of whoever uses the app payment, when they had zero before.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
imagine how rich and powerful elon could become if he even pretended to be a centrist and at least banned the outright Nazi poo poo on Twitter, holy poo poo what the gently caress is wrong with his brain

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

Demon Of The Fall posted:

holy poo poo what the gently caress is wrong with his brain

Immeasurable sense of insecurity and an insatiable need for validation, for starters.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Autechresaint posted:

close, 1028 people, in an overnight poll. So all the terminally online folk..yeah that represents the general population alright..

https://twitter.com/Harris_X_/status/1604975584928739328

Wow 53% that's a huge margin good job elong. What happened to the 60% from before?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Demon Of The Fall posted:

imagine how rich and powerful elon could become if he even pretended to be a centrist and at least banned the outright Nazi poo poo on Twitter, holy poo poo what the gently caress is wrong with his brain

Narcissism

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Philthy posted:

So exactly the same as with Trump's moronic tariffs on China.

Holy christ is there anything he's doing that is not just blatantly cribbing from the Trump playbook

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

mobby_6kl posted:

Wow 53% that's a huge margin good job elong. What happened to the 60% from before?

The 60% was from the 429 actual twitter users that were polled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
these loving bots keep selling their tesla shares