Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I think people sell New Super Mario Bros U short in the comparisons to Mario Maker. If you want 2D Mario, U has tons and tons of really high quality levels - and, notably, only high quality levels, with no piles of mediocre stuff to sift through. It also has a world map with hidden exits, collectables that are actually tracked and can unlock things, and the whole New Super Luigi U expansion, which is a really great and well made take on more Kaizo-ish levels without getting frustrating.

Not that Mario Maker isn't great as well, but there's a big difference between a bespoke, standalone Mario game and an endless pile of individual user levels, and there's plenty of reasons you might prefer the former.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Yeah, but New Super Mario Bros. has the butt ugly art style.

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I think people were just really burned out on NSMB by the time U came around, it didn't help that it was Mario's Wii U debut instead of a new 3D title. It's a tightly designed underappeciated game.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
The New Super Mario Bros artstyle is fine.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Mario Maker is great but yeah NSMBU is being undersold; it's a visually bland game but its levels are aces, as with nearly any Mario game, and are decently challenging. Plus, yeah, all the stuff you can't get in Mario Maker like secret exits. And Mario Maker doesn't have nearly as many level gimmicks--yeah, part of the fun is seeing how creative people can get in creating their own gimmicks with the limited toolset, but it's still a far cry from actual natively implemented gimmicks (which gets very apparent when you put NSMBU next to the recreation of NSMBU in MM)

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Snake Maze posted:

The New Super Mario Bros artstyle is fine.

This thread has taught me that the litmus test for a Mario art style is whether or not it conveys his proper rear end size

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

reminder that kirby and the forgotten land is a masterpiece and everyone should play it

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I've posted this sort of thing before but there are over 20 million SMM2 user levels currently available in the game. Let's pretend that 99% of them are utter trash.

That still leaves 200,000 non-trash levels, a lot of which have made it to many best-of lists available online. Plus, since April 2020, users have been able to string the levels together to make their own worlds, which has been great. It's not perfect, I kind of wish it locked you into one style so you could collect power ups to carry over, but hey, it's better than having to individually track down each of those levels.

Also, most creators who work hard on good levels don't just suddenly upload garbage, so with the STAR on a user's profile, which acts as sort of a "follow", you can go under one tab and see everything that's been uploaded by creators you're following.

People bitch and moan about trash levels, but with the smallest amount of effort (which I realize might be too much to ask for some of you), you can have a fantastic SMM2 experience, through and through.

Also, yeah, the campaign is filled with top tier levels, and if you go to the leaderboards section, you'll find even more levels made by Nintendo, from different regions. There aren't a ton, but I wonder how many people have missed those ones?

Edit: also, it can be genuinely fun sometimes to do a sort of trash gauntlet, going through some of the dumbest creations imaginable.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

An Actual Princess posted:

reminder that kirby and the forgotten land is a masterpiece and everyone should play it

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Kirby rules

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

I was always fine with the art but I hate that the enemies dance or whatever with the music.

Knock it off Koopa, I'm gonna smush you.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

:hai:

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Palmtree Panic posted:

Yeah, but New Super Mario Bros. has the butt ugly art style.

no its good

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Looks like rear end

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Then again I think DKC Returns looks like rear end

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
The starry night stage in nsmbu was really neat

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Then again I think DKC Returns looks like rear end

didnt play returns, but tropic freeze is beautiful and sounds amazing.

also just an insanely good n well made platformer, one of my personal goats for sure

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Augus posted:

Mario maker owns but I would not recommend it as a replacement for a full-length Mario game designed by Nintendo

Sounds like someone that couldn't beat Bowser's Big Bean Burrito.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

People bitch and moan about trash levels, but with the smallest amount of effort (which I realize might be too much to ask for some of you), you can have a fantastic SMM2 experience, through and through.
The only problem with SMM2 is that those levels are all going to vanish sometime next year. Which, sure, to your point you should play them now before they do.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
No they’re not.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The only problem with SMM2 is that those levels are all going to vanish sometime next year. Which, sure, to your point you should play them now before they do.

why would you say that?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Looks like rear end

asses look good, op

E: exceptions apply

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 20, 2022

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
You can still play Mario Maker 1 levels.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

American McGay posted:

You can still play Mario Maker 1 levels.

you telling me that dude just lied in the switch thread ...?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
That's illegal

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

The Switch thread is sacred. I cannot forgive this

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
you cannot upload new levels to mario maker 1 but you can still play the levels that were already uploaded

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

All Mario Maker 2 levels will be deleted as a show of solidarity with the Ukraine

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lol at even considering NSMBUD if you haven't gotten Super Mario Maker 2 yet. I don't know if that's your situation, but holy poo poo, SMM2 is infinite Mario, and you don't have to always play in that gross NSMB style. There are trash levels, sure. And there are also insanely creative and fun levels, too.

---

Just got a refund from Nintendo. I had looked up Adventure Time, since my younger son wants that game. I bought it and also saw there was a Skin and Texture pack for Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition. So I bought that, too.

But wait.... What's this? It's downloading a.... different Minecraft version? Oh, it's not the full game, it's just the DLC... for a previous version of the game that they no longer sell and I can no longer buy.

Current version's name: Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition
Previous version's name: Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition

Anyway, I stated my case, was very respectful and understanding, but also made a pretty clear case of "the naming that's used for two products that are apparently different is bullshit", but in much more polite wording.

At the very least, if you're going to delist a game version, then delist the associated DLC. :psyduck:

That situation could be considered "the best nuts".

NSMBU is a game full of really great levels that is a ton of fun to play while Super Mario Maker requires looking pretty hard to find courses that match up to those. There are lots of fun levels but NSMBU is a really great Mario game.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

New Super Luigi U owns

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

I've posted this sort of thing before but there are over 20 million SMM2 user levels currently available in the game. Let's pretend that 99% of them are utter trash.

I agree with this sentiment but it’s more like 99.99% of user levels are trash

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
https://twitter.com/KitfoxGames/status/1604884265061187584

The Waddle Dee town development thing was SUCH a good addition, I'm a sucker for that kind of thing in games. I loved the villa in Assassin's Creed 2.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I read the same article, Nostradorkus, but I don't believe the super-secret 6th Mayan calender running out next year will result in the apocalypse. Those SMM2-levels remain safe, for now

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qXjO6eQm34

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

BigDumper posted:

I agree with this sentiment but it’s more like 99.99% of user levels are trash

That's still 2000 levels.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Didn't they start deleting levels if they weren't played for 30 days or something? I recall one of mine from mm1 got deleted. Now the world is deprived of my genius :smith:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
No.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
https://en-americas-support.nintend...-%28super-mario

quote:

A Course I Uploaded Seems to Have Disappeared. Where Did it Go? (Super Mario Maker)

Applies to:  Wii U Deluxe, Wii U Basic

Unfortunately, we sometimes have to delete courses from Course World. Below are cases where courses can be removed from the server.

Low stars/plays

After a fixed period of time, courses with low stars/plays will be automatically deleted from the server.

Bugs

Courses that include bugs that were unintended by either the course creator or the developers will be deleted. It's important that we remove levels with bugs quickly, because letting these levels remain in Course World can lead to negative outcomes for many players such as players experiencing levels in unfair ways that the original course creator did not intend, or re-writing World Record times.

Requesting stars from other users

Courses that are explicitly asking for stars from other players will be deleted. For example, using words such as Like, Yeah!, and the ★ symbol in their course names. Please change the course name when saving a course that includes these words.

Inappropriate Content

Courses that contain something inappropriate, such as offensive language or phrases, will be deleted.

Other behavior in violation of the Nintendo Network Code of Conduct. Please note that repeated violations can result in additional penalties.

Yeah, they deleted states with low stars/plays. Fools.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Sounds like it was a bad level. Try harder next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

that’s also mario maker 1.