Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Is he though? What has he personally engineered
That submarine that saved those kids in that cave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
It's so weird that all of the supposed Twitter bots are 100% far left deep state. All of them. Only left-leaning bots.

I mean.... Interesting.

A farting mink
Nov 6, 2022

by Pragmatica

confused posted:

As someone who has co-founded two successful companies as a VP Eng, I can assure you that you are wrong. I know it's popular to say that he's a bad engineer, but it's just not true. He obviously wasn't acting as an individual contributer at Telsa or SpaceX, but go look at interviews with him. He has very deep understanding of many disperate fields of engineering and can hold his own in discussions with any expert in the field. Just because you are good at one thing means you are good at others. The reverse is also true.

He doesn't actually have an engineering degree and all his companies were already up and running when he bought them, except for the one that made the novelty flamethrower.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

confused posted:

As someone who has co-founded two successful companies as a VP Eng, I can assure you that you are wrong. I know it's popular to say that he's a bad engineer, but it's just not true. He obviously wasn't acting as an individual contributer at Telsa or SpaceX, but go look at interviews with him. He has very deep understanding of many disperate fields of engineering and can hold his own in discussions with any expert in the field. Just because you are good at one thing means you are good at others. The reverse is also true.

You should send this to him lol

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

confused posted:

Being able to hold a conversation about a field is not indicative in any way of competency in accomplishing stuff within that field.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

A farting mink posted:

He doesn't actually have an engineering degree and all his companies were already up and running when he bought them, except for the one that made the novelty flamethrower.

He started SX but putting up the money after he failed to purchase decommed soviet ICBMs is the extent of his contribution

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Murdstone posted:

That submarine that saved those kids in that cave.

Pretty sure he just stole his mom's dildo for that

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

confused posted:

go look at interviews with him. He has very deep understanding of many disperate fields of engineering and can hold his own in discussions with any expert in the field.

:chloe:

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

It's really been just a rotation of morons between who is getting the most attention between Trump, Elon, and Kayne these past few months.

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

A farting mink posted:

I know it's fun to bash on Elon. He deserves it. There are plently of brilliant engineers who have no degrees and plently of terrible engineers with great degrees. For example, I've never worked with a single good engineer who had a PhD from MIT. I've never met one who wasn't waaaaay up their own rear end.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
yall arguing with someone copy pasting the stupidest posts they can find on reddit or w/e

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

SYQ sir

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Aramis posted:

Being able to hold a conversation about a field is not indicative in any way of competency in accomplishing stuff within that field.

Elon "holding his own" in a conversation with an expert in any field:

Expert: So do you think you'd [complex engineering technique]?

Elon: Possibly, yes.

Expert (to himself): Holy poo poo, this guy can really hold his own

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I have faith in Musk as an engineer, just look at that crew he assembled for that slingshot trip around the moon that is absolutely totally going to happen in 2023. Only a genius of Musk's caliber could have recruited a team like that.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Almost one of Musk's favourite numbers, and yet he can't enjoy it at a time like this

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

The complex engineering required for equestrian transfer post digital manipulation of the phallus has prepared Elon Musk to excel in any field of engineering or science that he chooses

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

yall arguing with someone copy pasting the stupidest posts they can find on reddit or w/e

Or, you know, someone who has been building engineering teams in SV startups for the last 25 years who might know more about it than someone who says, "LOL! Elon isn't a real engineer!"

I could spend a good hour telling you how bad leader, manager and human being Elon Musk is based on stories of people who worked directly for him, but I could never claim he was a bad engineer.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
Hes smart enough to know which buzzwords to say. Normies also think he's smart and insightful because he spouts off pop science poo poo he read on "I loving love science" like "were in a simulation!" or "we need to nuke mars!"

A farting mink
Nov 6, 2022

by Pragmatica

MrQwerty posted:

He started SX but putting up the money after he failed to purchase decommed soviet ICBMs is the extent of his contribution

Fair enough, but all he did was toss money at a bunch of much smarter people who had a brilliant idea.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

confused posted:

I could spend a good hour telling you how bad leader, manager and human being Elon Musk is based on storied of people who worked directly for him, but I could never claim he was a bad engineer.

For the same reason that you could never claim that a head of broccoli was a bad engineer

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

confused posted:

Or, you know, someone who has been building engineering teams in SV startups for the last 25 years who might know more about it than someone who says, "LOL! Elon isn't a real engineer!"

I could spend a good hour telling you how bad leader, manager and human being Elon Musk is based on stories of people who worked directly for him, but I could never claim he was a bad engineer.

What's he engineered

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Demon Of The Fall posted:

imagine how rich and powerful elon could become if he even pretended to be a centrist and at least banned the outright Nazi poo poo on Twitter, holy poo poo what the gently caress is wrong with his brain

He's still pretending to be one instead of flat out admitting it. His definition of centrist seems to be 'only listen to the alt-right'. If he actually was one and played it up, he probably wouldn't be dunked on so much.

Catastrophe posted:

It's so weird that all of the supposed Twitter bots are 100% far left deep state. All of them. Only left-leaning bots.

I mean.... Interesting.

Concerning.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

confused posted:

You gotta post this on Twitter if you want him to gently caress you!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hmmyes it is extremely plausible that a guy is a competent

a) rocket scientist
b) electric car engineer
c) financial services software developer
d) tunnel digging engineer
e) social media platform designer
f) etc etc efc

This is the kind of thing that it is even possible to imagine as a real person who understands what humans are like

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Boo. Over $141 now.

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

Lookit that stupid ass-hole!

confused posted:

The bad engineering is coming from inside the thread

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

confused posted:

The difference, IMHO, is that Tesla is, at it's core, an engineering company. Musk, for all of his flaws, is a brilliant engineer. Twitter is not an engineering company. Twitter has always had a subpar engineering team. Which is fine because the engineering behind Twitter isn't that complex. Yeah, you have scaling issues, but it's nothing compared to the engineering challenges of Tesla or, especially, SpaceX. Musk suffers from the belief that there is always an engineering solution to problems. None of Twitter's problems are releated to engineering. It's all about social policy and managing relationships with advertisers. Two things Musk is horrible at and actively dislikes. For example, there is a reason that Tesla has never had a PR department which is a insane thing for a company as large as Tesla.

He is not an engineer. He is kept at arms length from any engineering because he is an absolutely moron. He lied about his scientific and engineering credentials.

confused posted:

He has never done engineering. Ever. In his life. Get that out of your head. Either someone is lying to you or you are buying into an image he's tried to launder off for ages.

Musk is never and has never been an engineer. He's repeatedly lied about his engineering and scientific credentials and has bought an image, not earned it. All the stories from both SpaceX and Tesla have been that Musk has to be kept at length away from Engineering because he repeatedly goes on firing rampages including firing critical engineering team members on a whim.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 20, 2022

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"building engineering teams in SV" like ... do you know what skills are involved in "building engineering teams"

Have any of these skills been on display

AT ALL

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

I'm a very senior IC technical product dude at a big tech company, I used to be a (not very good) engineer.

Before this debacle I thought you could say a lot of very negative things about him, but I never would have said he didn't understand building software.

From all of the insane things I have seen him do ("a-duh wot do dese microservices do??? Let's turn them off and bring the AWS bill down! What do you mean Oauth is broken?") I am now absolutely convinced he doesn't understand basically anything about SaaS at any type of scale.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

confused posted:

If you're serious right now, then sorry for you. But you're also ignoring that he's a big fat loving liar and known to aggressively bully people close to him to get them to make him look better so why should anyone who doesn't have your exact life experience and perspective believe anything he's said or done?

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

confused posted:

I actually know engineers who have directly worked for him as well, and they have quite a different opinion, lol

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm just catching up, but that fluff piece from HarrisX saying a majority of Americans totally want Elmo to stay on at Twitter was just embarrassing. I used to work in market research, and there wasn't enough information given to even call it a bullshit poll. It was presented with nothing but buzzwords and results, nothing about methodology at all. I could craft a more convincing piece of "research" off the top of my head.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Thundercracker posted:

Boo. Over $141 now.

Investors must've been reading confused posts and got excited

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

wedgie deliverer posted:

If you're serious right now, then sorry for you. But you're also ignoring that he's a big fat loving liar and known to aggressively bully people close to him to get them to make him look better so why should anyone who doesn't have your exact life experience and perspective believe anything he's said or done?

Did you miss the bit where I said he is a horrible human being? I'd never want to work anywhere near an rear end in a top hat like him. Jobs was just as bad.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Thundercracker posted:

Boo. Over $141 now.

right after you posted that, two huge sell orders came in.

can you post it again?

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Mokotow posted:

Musk is not an engineer. He claims to hold degrees in engineering no one can confirm he actually received. There are no patents or designs known to have been created by him.

Twitter is very well known for its excellent engineering. They created a lot of online infrastructure solutions and impacted web design through their frameworks for the past decade.

Edit: Interesting

I mean he wrote that code in that Sega CD game to make the FMV better. Without his engineering, the FMV in Cadillacs and Dinosaurs for Sega CD would have been even shittier than it is.

if you think about it, Twitter is a lot like Cadillacs and Dinosaurs.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'm just catching up, but that fluff piece from HarrisX saying a majority of Americans totally want Elmo to stay on at Twitter was just embarrassing. I used to work in market research, and there wasn't enough information given to even call it a bullshit poll. It was presented with nothing but buzzwords and results, nothing about methodology at all. I could craft a more convincing piece of "research" off the top of my head.

"We cold called a bunch of Boomers and they say Musk is a really nice boy and he'd never do anything naughty, not ever!"

confused posted:

Did you miss the bit where I said he is a horrible human being? I'd never want to work anywhere near an rear end in a top hat like him. Jobs was just as bad.

Still not an engineer. And even Jobs wasn't an Engineer, just a good salesman. And Musk isn't even that.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Flowers for QAnon posted:

He’s not an engineer, he has an honorary Econ degree. He is an absolute dipshit moron.

Economy degree?

I swear down, the clues were there and my theory holds strong.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Flowers for QAnon posted:

I actually know engineers who have directly worked for him as well, and they have quite a different opinion, lol

My dad hired a few ex-SpaceX in his group by the time he retired, because that's a ballistic missile engineer feeder now, and all of them said it was a godawful meatgrinder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
About to break $141 again :sickos:

E: $140.89!!