Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
If I had to guess, I'd suspect any quirkyness from matchmaking is driven by there being an active queue of DPS and Tanks in reserve but an almost immediate fill for Support, so I'd imagine you'd see the highest volatility with the supports relative to the rest of the team.

Which is my observation in general as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Consider how strong the Tank role is, if there's a tank mismatch you're pretty hosed, good supports or no.

That said I just had a game with a fantastic Mercy, it really felt like we were vibing. Culminated in both of us enabling an Echo to do a Rein copy that ended up being a 4K POTG. :feelsgood:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
my fix is that if you die 50 percent more than the next-highest person on your team you get put into Special Little Guy queue until you learn not to

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I think OW matchmaking has always been great and matches are almost always fair. It's just in a tough spot right now because of all the changes to the gameplay itself and trying to reuse people's OW1 MMRs. The soft reset could have worked in theory, but the game is just too different now.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

also even if matchmaking was working bug-free and exactly like in ow1, ow2 could just be a much more snowbally game even among perfectly evenly matched mmr teams

like maybe the team that wins the first fight is even better positioned to snowball ult advantage in the 2nd fight than in ow1. sojourn having a ridiculous dps ult certainly doesnt help this problem.

comedyblissoption fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Dec 19, 2022

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Jack Trades posted:

Plus, they still own that patent (US20160001181A1) for a matchmaking system that would put put bad players into teams that would carry them, for purposes of player retention. I wouldn't be surprised if they finally decided to put that patent into use.

I know selling things to players isn't a new concept, but I think it's real scummy to implement enticing players to buy things based upon what other players bought into matchmaking. Especially in a game like OverWatch.

I read somewhere that that specific patient was intended for Destiny 2, but I'll be hosed if I'm going to read through that whole thing to confirm or deny it. I guess it would make more sense in a game that isn't so competitive, but I doubt they would remove functionality if they did in fact use this system in ow2.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

comedyblissoption posted:

also even if matchmaking was working bug-free and exactly like in ow1, ow2 could just be a much more snowbally game even among perfectly evenly matched mmr teams

like maybe the team that wins the first fight is even better positioned to snowball ult advantage in the 2nd fight than in ow1. sojourn having a ridiculous dps ult certainly doesnt help this problem.

I'm actually still not sure what you're supposed to do against nano solj when she ults too.

At least with nanoblade you can beat and speed. She'll chase you down and kill you on her own.

Javik the Seer
Oct 11, 2021
I think a worthwhile question that can be answered regardless of your stance on the Great SR Conspiracy is why is it so opaque. It just doesn't make any sense. I don't think its so much of them trying to be conspiratorial jerks to gently caress over players, I think its just a complete lack of awareness of what makes competitive games like this work. We see it also in their patch and update structure and communication.

Blizzard CLEARLY has all the data from damage per second, to averages, to accuracy, to times abilities used, heat maps...everything.

What is the benefit to the community by keeping as much information as hidden as possible? I don't mean so we can have streamers crunch every number or screenshot,though I'm sure they would, but just to the general operation of a match. Why is it better i DON'T know how many shields our bastion is shooting? Why is it better I DON'T know how much anti heal Ana has done? Why don't I have access to this information even after the match?

I think the toxicity argument fails pretty hard since players will be toxic no matter what for the most part, but I think there is an argument that only giving SOME of the information actually breeds MORE toxicity. I couldn't imagine any sport or esport where one stat is visible and the only one that is counted. Like saying a QB sucks because they got sacked without looking at all the other factors that go into a play which are to differing degrees in and out of their own control. This is compounded by the fact that we have these roles and/or open queues that put players into boxes they would otherwise not like to be in with no guarantee their strengths will synergize well with the rest of the people in their roles. Everything about this situation just screams to me that more transparency is better in these rigid situations, not less. If folks are going to scream at someone for a role, give them the information to make it useful instead of just encouraging players to write it off and decide to play in toxic or suboptimal ways. An easy way to put "these are the top 3 heroes I like" and bam there ya go, at a glance you can see what you got on your team, no need for second guessing or searching profiles or any of that.

This extends outside of the gameplay too. Why would profiles have the option of being visible during a match? Just make them either fully accessible like you would in a professional sport or make them only visible when outside of a game, because as it is now it just becomes yet another avenue for players to be toxic to one another without any justification. Why would my preferred character not be visible for others to see prior to the game? Why not have that impact the queues I get put into, with accepting a longer queue time if I'm really wanting to play my one hero? We've all been in a situation where folks on our team want to play the same hero, someone gets bumped off into a less-than-good hero and the team suffers. Why not just let folks opt not to queue or at least de-prioritize getting matched up with those players who select the same hero? Why is there such a thing as all-chat? What does that do other than breed toxicity and sniping at each other? If someone needs reported just let any reports be known globally, done. Easy. No need for all this extra wall of opaqueness.

As it is, they could make some really really easy changes to this with some transparency and more player focused changes to the way the game is presented and played and it would do wonders to improve all of this Conspiracy Chat surrounding match making, MRR, and rankings. It would go a long way towards making the game less toxic as well as just a better gameplay experience for everyone. They have the data, they just choose not to share it which is just crazy to me.

Which does bring me to another question I just thought of, is it official blizzard policy ( or any other big company that does MMOs, really) to ban things like damage meters in World of Warcraft and such? Its somewhat related to this, I think.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Herstory Begins Now posted:

they're kinda hosed there because they have a shitload of different game modes and a clearly insufficient playerbase to actually have fast matchmaking so they have to compromise on something to keep it from taking 10 minutes to fill a lobby.

I'll never understand why the compromise is mmr range when they could just... not have 16 different game modes

People will leave straight up, making people do ranked, unranked, and like 2 rotating gamemodes is how you get League of Legends current situation in the toxicity department

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Javik the Seer posted:

Blizzard CLEARLY has all the data from damage per second, to averages, to accuracy, to times abilities used, heat maps...everything.

What is the benefit to the community by keeping as much information as hidden as possible? I don't mean so we can have streamers crunch every number or screenshot,though I'm sure they would, but just to the general operation of a match. Why is it better i DON'T know how many shields our bastion is shooting? Why is it better I DON'T know how much anti heal Ana has done? Why don't I have access to this information even after the match?
stats don't matter in an individual match even if you could see them. 0% of people on ladder are going to use the shield damage stat of their bastion teammate in a productive way.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
For the purpose of matchmaking, the stat that matters is fire time (which is a combination of all other stats to some extent), I think. The rest don't really mean too much, in theory. If you are getting a lot of fire time, that's when the game is like HOLD UP, THIS MOTHERFUCKER IS POPPIN OFF, and tries to propel you to (within the limitations of the system) a higher rank.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
fire time doesn't just arbitrarily exist and is based on a combination of other stats per period of time though, so sure, superficially this statement can be correct but you still need to look at what the other contributing stats are

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

SirKibbles posted:

People will leave straight up, making people do ranked, unranked, and like 2 rotating gamemodes is how you get League of Legends current situation in the toxicity department

this is literally the first time ever I've seen someone suggest that # of game modes determines how toxic a game is

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
I mean I literally saw people get toxic in Snowball Fight

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

this is literally the first time ever I've seen someone suggest that # of game modes determines how toxic a game is

That's not what I was saying you need stuff for people to do to just screw around and like League OW2 isn't putting out actual content so you end up having to play with people who are try harding even in unranked because they want to play but not lose ranked points.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

I feel like you can just hear the Doomfist screeching in frustration as I ignore him and dodge his ult using wall climb:

https://streamable.com/785l7f

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

SadisTech posted:

I mean I literally saw people get toxic in Snowball Fight

The winter modes are mostly dogshit though, if you get eliminated early most of your game is sitting around watching your team die.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

The winter modes are mostly dogshit though, if you get eliminated early most of your game is sitting around watching your team die.

Yeah, but it is a literal snow ball fight. :cmon:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Issaries posted:

Yeah, but it is a literal snow ball fight. :cmon:

The free-for-all mode where you can catch snowballs and have up to 3 snowballs loaded is a lot of fun, freeze-thaw elimination is okay, the tension of being able to clutch thaw teammates makes it interesting, everything else is bad, yes including yeti hunt.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
so this was my most recent competitive match in a game that is nominally supposed to give even matches. This is the 5th game in a row that was very similar to this in outcome. In 3 of the previous ones I had around 12-15 kills to maybe 8-10 deaths. In one of them my entire team had 0 kills *for the match* There was nothing at all that I could do to leverage the game against an enemy team that were doing what they were roughly supposed to be doing and in some cases were doing it like a well oiled machine.

In 3 of these games there was a tank who was not able to do anything other than walk forward, often into door frames and walls until they realised they weren't moving and negotiated their way through carefully. In at least 2 of them there were slampick Anas who were not able to hit shots unless you stood very still quite near to them. In one instance the Ana side stepped me when I did this in order to keep shooting (and missing) at the enemy team.

SadisTech fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Dec 20, 2022

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker
My personal belief is that after-match reports suck because Blizzard hasn’t finished designing or coding all the ideas they had for it, as despite taking it off the marketing this still feels like an Early Access title.

At the minimum, not showing rank during matches has helped me and many others with ranked anxiety.

For everything else, Blizzard needs a competitive director to make some decisions and push things forward. Everything else feels like a compromise between how players act, what players say they want vs. what they may really want, and leftover stuff from OW1 they just brought over with some tweaking and not a lot of thought.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Not to mention a support diff for sure, look at the comparative healing numbers.

EDIT: lol your Ana has 3K damage but only 2 Elims and 1 Assist, just incredible.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

EDIT: lol your Ana has 3K damage but only 2 Elims and 1 Assist, just incredible.

I really don't know how it's possible unless they were just pumping darts past their team and into an enemy road hog.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

headcase posted:

I really don't know how it's possible unless they were just pumping darts past their team and into an enemy road hog.

It's exactly that.

Javik the Seer
Oct 11, 2021

comedyblissoption posted:

stats don't matter in an individual match even if you could see them. 0% of people on ladder are going to use the shield damage stat of their bastion teammate in a productive way.

Its still a useful way to learn about what works vs what doesn't work. It would also be useful to the rest of the team if you're legitimately trying to win, see the bastion has all shield damage and maybe say "hey lets focus on breaking the shield, the bastion has been trying to do it by themself". Little things prioritizing who/what to shoot like that can do wonders.

Its certainly better than the whole buncha nothin' we have right now. It just boggles my mind that blizz has shown they have these stats and details and just intentionally don't share them with the player base.

BabyRyoga posted:

For the purpose of matchmaking, the stat that matters is fire time (which is a combination of all other stats to some extent), I think. The rest don't really mean too much, in theory. If you are getting a lot of fire time, that's when the game is like HOLD UP, THIS MOTHERFUCKER IS POPPIN OFF, and tries to propel you to (within the limitations of the system) a higher rank.

Firetime is mostly bullshit the way it was implemented though, even if its a lot of fun. As a pharah or widow you can easily get "on fire" if you just stand on the payload despite not doing what you're supposed to be doing, which is shooting the enemy team. Same for a tank who shields up on the point instead of blocking a choke point. Firetime WOULD be useful if it was like kill streaking or accuracy or clutch kills/heals or the like. Again, blizz has shown they have the ability to do this with the "sharpshooter" or "life saver" little messages that pop up.

But they hide it and take it away for some reason.

I think folks will be toxic no matter what, game mode or not to a certain extent. I think folks become LESS toxic if they can see transparently what is happening instead of seeing Low Number or Bad Metal and then argue about that. The less loose strands of nonsense to give players to glom onto with imperfect information, the better.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

The strangest thing to me on this screenshot is that moira damage #

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
im the 2k reflect damage

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

im the 2k reflect damage

I guess from the Torb turret?

Or was the Sojourn really that stupid?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Inept posted:

The strangest thing to me on this screenshot is that moira damage #

And 13 assists with it too.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Honestly at least as a brand new player down in Bronze, matches are just all over the place. Last night I went 7-1, with almost all of my teams having really active coms, grouping up after deaths, getting some good point re-takes etc. It was a breeze. The night before? Multiple games with leavers, one with a Hanzo just sitting in our spawn looking at the sky shooting arrows, and the topper that made me quit for the evening, a game where we were marginally looking to be ahead despite an incredibly toxic player saying stupid poo poo all game, then the enemy team has a guy leave and it's almost certainly a win, and then our toxic guy goes insane, starts telling one of our DPS to unalive himself IRL, etc, and two of ours leave immediately in response and we lose. It goes from clown show nonsense that I can't even begin to call competitive to an actual fun experience back and forth constantly.

I'm not sure at all what the solution would be, but I am reminded of a distinction I saw made a while back in another game I play competitively, where someone mentioned that all of the game modes that didn't involve two pre-organized teams/clans/etc were multiplayer games, but not team games. You can't just toss some random players together and call it a team, it really isn't. I think part of the problem is that central to OW, all of the modes are extremely team oriented, but we are stuck always playing a multiplayer, but not team game around those rules.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

toadee posted:

I think part of the problem is that central to OW, all of the modes are extremely team oriented, but we are stuck always playing a multiplayer, but not team game around those rules.

There's a lot of truth to this. At many skill levels, most players won't even acknowledge that they have to use teamwork on some of the most basic levels like grouping up and waiting for respawns. Some simply assume that it is everyone else's responsibility to respond to them - these are the guys diving into the enemy team screaming for heals while their entire team is dead. And if that player is a dps, that really sucks.

But if they're the tank, well, that could be gg. IMO that's why the game is so swingy.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

toadee posted:

Honestly at least as a brand new player down in Bronze, matches are just all over the place. Last night I went 7-1, with almost all of my teams having really active coms, grouping up after deaths, getting some good point re-takes etc. It was a breeze. The night before? Multiple games with leavers, one with a Hanzo just sitting in our spawn looking at the sky shooting arrows, and the topper that made me quit for the evening, a game where we were marginally looking to be ahead despite an incredibly toxic player saying stupid poo poo all game, then the enemy team has a guy leave and it's almost certainly a win, and then our toxic guy goes insane, starts telling one of our DPS to unalive himself IRL, etc, and two of ours leave immediately in response and we lose. It goes from clown show nonsense that I can't even begin to call competitive to an actual fun experience back and forth constantly.

a thing that maybe happens a little more often in OW than in other online games is people choosing to lose a game rather than attempting to win it, so long as they can blame someone else for even the slightest setback

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Pattonesque posted:

a thing that maybe happens a little more often in OW than in other online games is people choosing to lose a game rather than attempting to win it

I think people get pissy and throw in a lot of games, it just matters more in team games with 5 people. MOBAs are well known for it

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I play regularly with two of my buddies and they don't play comp when I'm not on. I play tank, they play support and DPS. They recently ranked up to Silver 1, whereas I ranked down from Bronze 3 to Bronze 4. Same games, and I'm not sure what's going on with that as I'm not THAT bad. Kinda frustrating.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
Bastion Gingerbread skin for one coin:

https://overwatch.blizzard.com/en-gb/news/23892140/

Info on match making:

https://overwatch.blizzard.com/en-gb/news/23896785/overwatch-2-developer-blog-matchmaker-and-competitive-deep-dive-part-1/

I feel like they did the streak-y SR/MMR boost in OW1, didn't they?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

You can now buy a 1 OW Coin Bastion skin which is available only for a limited time.

It's price coincidentally makes it so that you won't even be able to spend all of your in-game currency ever again but I'm sure that's just a big coinkidink.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Jack Trades posted:

You can now buy a 1 OW Coin Bastion skin which is available only for a limited time.

It's price coincidentally makes it so that you won't even be able to spend all of your in-game currency ever again but I'm sure that's just a big coinkidink.

I've got a few coins from doing weeklies, so no harm there, but it does slow me down from earning enough in-game for a battle pass at some point. Since the smallest increment is 30 coins, guess it effectively costs 30 coins for both cosmetics, or it might not have any effect, depending on how things add up.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

The amount you get from weekly challenges is so laughable that it's not worth thinking about "saving up" for anything imo.

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker

Aexo posted:

Bastion Gingerbread skin for one coin:

https://overwatch.blizzard.com/en-gb/news/23892140/

Info on match making:

https://overwatch.blizzard.com/en-gb/news/23896785/overwatch-2-developer-blog-matchmaker-and-competitive-deep-dive-part-1/

I feel like they did the streak-y SR/MMR boost in OW1, didn't they?

quote:

All our game modes, including Competitive, only look at MMR when forming a match. We never use your outward facing skill tier or division to form matches. Likewise, the rank you see in a player’s profile isn’t the same as their MMR.

quote:

It’s also important to remember that our teammates are human. We don’t always perform the same from game to game or even team fight to team fight.

To the conversation that I missed over the past few days, yes it could be bugged, but there could also be a host of other reasons for weird games.

For another recent post, how can a matchmaker account for leavers outside of suspensions and banning?

Overwatch is 10x better with people you agree to group up with beforehand that are on the same level of competitiveness as you, no matter what game mode you’re playing. Hoping they’ll eventually do some temporary in-game leagues for this reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Rosalind posted:

I guess from the Torb turret?

Or was the Sojourn really that stupid?

It wasn't a turret, I was only Torb for the last minute or so to try to build a Molten Core in desperation to get at least some ground. Didn't get there. I had been on Mei previously to try to freeze the Genji who was jumping up and down outside the spawn door and wall off their healer LOS. Most of that deflect would have been our Sojourn and would have been directed into my face or our useless tank, who had been on DVa doing nothing at all besides holding matrix until it ran out and then exploding. The Rein swap was literally in the last seconds and did nothing.