Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
https://twitter.com/TeslaAviation/status/1605281890746765313

He's lost them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Musk is colossally an engineer if you use engineer in the perjorative sense of a bright ideas guy who can read a textbook over the weekend and start spewing out his idiotic ideas to people actually doing the work who filter and fix them into the real project.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
You can tell when someone has been completely captured by Elon's orbit, they think their bullshit actually works on people. It's like those sad bastards who think they're pick-up artists and workshop their "open" to each other based on a pic of some girl bent over looking at the bottom shelf at a grocery store.

Mal-3
Oct 21, 2008

confused posted:

True dat. To be fair, you probably could have cut the Twitter engineering team by an order of mangitude and replaced them with a higher quality team. As I mentioned, Twitter's eng has always been subpar compared to your Googles or Facebooks or the like. He just tried to do it in the dumbest way possible.

Probably not? Like, my understanding of the engineering behind the computer-touching arts is limited (much like Elon's) to a vague understanding of the state of the art in Linux and HTML as of 1999. But if I have actually learned anything from this fiasco it's how intricate things like Twitter really are beneath the surface, and that the guys who built this thing must've been pretty good because the site continues to chug along despite losing 80% of the critical maintenance staff.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

confused posted:

That's not what I said. I said he has a deep understand and can hold his own with experts in many fields. I think people don't understand the diffence between being an individual contributer and a CTO/VP Eng. Of course, Musk hasn't written code since the late 90s. I haven't written code except for fun in like 6 years at this point.

Deep understand. So much engineer. Wow.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

I should've guessed this was going to happen sooner or later:
https://twitter.com/eladnehorai/status/1605270518415757312?s=46&t=CNW2Cnerl-HbcVDbwBVa5g
Starting to get less ha-ha-funny and more nervous laughter.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

confused posted:

That's not what I said. I said he has a deep understand and can hold his own with experts in many fields. I think people don't understand the diffence between being an individual contributer and a CTO/VP Eng. Of course, Musk hasn't written code since the late 90s. I haven't written code except for fun in like 6 years at this point.

Thinking you're an engineer and speaking with confidence on matters you don't understand does not actually make you an engineer.

I'm sorry you had to find out this way.

E: Okay, I will grant you that it does make you An Engineer, in the same way you don't have to be a pleasant dude to be a Nice Guy.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 20, 2022

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ah I can just feel the leadership and confidence Elon is exuding

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

Lookit that stupid ass-hole!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Thinking you're an engineer and speaking with confidence on matters you don't understand does not actually make you an engineer.

I'm sorry you had to find out this way.

To be fair it's a common trait of engineers

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

mobby_6kl posted:

Deep understand. So much engineer. Wow.

And he didn't even draw that, the Engineering team (that he kept up at 1 AM for no god damned reason) did, and then he fired more of them.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Elon can't even hold a conversation with such "distinguished" intellects such as Miles Ian Chong or catturd1488, GTFO with his "he has a deep understanding of engineering concepts". He's the IT guy who uses a bunch of buzzwords he probably picked up via osmosis with not real understanding and ends up needing someone else to clean up their mess.

BadOptics fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 20, 2022

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Butterwagon posted:

I think we call them stemlords now, to distinguish them from people who can both engineer and apply basic social capacity.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

confused posted:

Haven’t seen a username/post combo align like this in quite some time.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

confused posted:

Does he have that deep understanding though?

People that are genuinely very smart engineers let their careers speak for themselves. John Carmack doesn't have fake degrees and a manufactured mythology; he just made DOOM and Quake work. Elon, on the other hand, proclaimed a fake physics degree for years.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

He says he's an engineer, and he's rich, so I believe him

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

anyone who says he's never written code, Elon Musk has literally had his code published in a magazine.

Yes it's not good code and he's a bad person and bad engineer, but it's technically code that he's written.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Butterwagon posted:

As an engineer, it's a trait I hope to work out of any future engineers I find myself around. Engineering in general might be the Dunning-Kruger-est industry on the planet.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Seems like there are still lots of bots trading at the stock exchange. Interesting.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Also he says first principles and order of magnitude a lot. Those are engineer words as far as I'm concerned

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Youth Decay posted:

I should've guessed this was going to happen sooner or later:
https://twitter.com/eladnehorai/status/1605270518415757312?s=46&t=CNW2Cnerl-HbcVDbwBVa5g
Starting to get less ha-ha-funny and more nervous laughter.

Elon is an engineer with a deep understanding of engineering concepts, I'm not sure how you can expect him to understand/catch antisemitic tropes and propaganda. /s

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Chainclaw posted:

anyone who says he's never written code, Elon Musk has literally had his code published in a magazine.

Yes it's not good code and he's a bad person and bad engineer, but it's technically code that he's written.

Nobody claimed he hadn't written code, but thanks for that.

That doesn't translate into: sudden knowledge of both rocket and vehicle engineers as well as modern devops/development.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I think we call them stemlords now, to distinguish them from people who can both engineer and apply basic social capacity.

Fixed that for you.

Also, it just struck me that with Elmo we have an Apartheid pissbaby who is deep into Dunning-Krugerands, and that makes me smile.

Discount Dracula
Aug 15, 2003

Nap Ghost

Philthy posted:

Tim Cook wouldn't take the 30% cut out, so Musk raised it by 35% on IOS. It just means more money for Apple.

https://twitter.com/Twitter/status/1601692766257709056

And Twitter on the IOS store still looks absolutely presidential:

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

That doesn't translate into: sudden knowledge of both rocket and vehicle engineers as well as modern devops/development.

Several people have been claiming he's never done engineering in this thread.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Analog posted:

Trump, for all of his flaws, is a brilliant businessman.

Yeah it's this. Chuds give trump the benefit of the doubt but most people can deduce that he's totally full of poo poo and can't negotiate his way out of a wet paper bag. Fortunately we can use context clues with Musk and see that he is a compulsive liar with everything he does and turns everything he touches to poo poo so I'm not going to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he's a great engineer for no reason at all.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Chainclaw posted:

Hahaha thank you so much for clearing this up. Also glad to know Elon's mom apparently has an account here.

*holds up 9th grade report card*

You see? My son got an A in math. He's a mathematician.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Its looking like its going to hit 139 today.

140.15 now.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

BadOptics posted:

Elon is an engineer with a deep understanding of engineering concepts, I'm not sure how you can expect him to understand/catch antisemitic tropes and propaganda. /s

if people start using reddit style sarcasm tags here unironically im hiring some chubby mobsters to hit the servers with bats no cap

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Serious_Cyclone posted:

For the same reason that you could never claim that a head of broccoli was a bad engineer

Lt. Broccoli saved the Enterprise on several occasions. You could never claim he was a bad engineer.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
Yeah the poster in here claiming to be a 2-decade software engineering VP is playing the part well: complete but unrecognized ignorance and inability to evaluate the skills of engineers but a belief that they, "know what they're doing."

Sounds pretty familiar!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Chainclaw posted:

That's not "engineering"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

PostNouveau posted:

Lt. Broccoli saved the Enterprise on several occasions. You could never claim he was a bad engineer.

The man got Voyager home from the Delta Quadrant as well. He's a loving legend.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

steinrokkan posted:

Seems like there are still lots of bots trading at the stock exchange. Interesting.
Concerning…

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
140.20 is kind of the meme price...

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

mobby_6kl posted:

That's not "engineering"

Lol yeah I wrote a bunch of BASIC when I was a kid, i was not an ultimate genius 9 year old super engineer

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

CommieGIR posted:

You know what I'm going to claim that he hasn't written any code in his life.

If his degrees are fake and he keeps buying companies and "going look what I invented!" then there is a bloody high chance that he paid someone else to do it. "look I got my code into a magazine, please find a copy enclosed and thank you for the allowance mommy!". The blatant stolen valour thing is usually a pattern established young and it's not just for attention, children will learn helplessness if a parent wants to make them reliant on them. Basically the rich kid who got pushed down the stairs at school for mocking a grieving child and was allowed to paint himself as the victim, would 100% bully the butler into doing his homework as well"

Also if he went to public/private school those places teach them from a very very young age how to remember and repeat. It's all copy this down and regurgitate it in an exam later style of teaching, which trains these kids into drones who can fake being smart as adults. This also explains a lot of reddit.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

A side point but — anyone who says "Twitter engineers are subpar", while I don't doubt that it was a comparatively cushy place to work with lots of perks, I have to guess they probably saw this video or something:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkQbHyLE6Tc

Which, like ... lord I hope you have someone competent handling your retirement savings if you think that's real

(the person at work circulating it freely admitted it's from LibsOfTikTok)

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

That's not "engineering"

Just because it's lovely rear end code for a lovely rear end PC game in the '80s or lovely rear end FMV games in the '90s doesn't make it not engineering.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Discount Dracula posted:

And Twitter on the IOS store still looks absolutely presidential:

What are these subscriptions about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Chainclaw posted:

No, we were asking the guy that claimed he was a "brilliant engineer" what Elon has personally engineered so that when he brings up what hes done, we can laugh at him